What I'm missing. What I'm not missing

As the mind wanders when each day merges into the next (and I have to really think what day of the week it is) I've started to think what it is I miss as a result of the lockdown and what I don't miss (in no particular order of importance):-

• Parkrun - I know I can go out and run 5K, but I miss the weekly gathering. It's a combination of the competitiveness, trying to get a decent time, but also the social aspect. We would always stay for a coffee and a natter with other runners afterwards.
  • Club team mates - I've only been running formally with a club for 2 years, but I miss that camaraderie, gathering for our league races, the banter.
  • League races - the league would have been starting in earnest now. It gave a focus a couple of times a month and is a great way to run different distances on different terrains. 
  • Racing in general - I did a lot of events last year and it was good to have the focus of a race coming up. Although I'm probably doing more runs now, basically because it's the only thing I can really do, I have to say it's not really the same when you don't have anything to aim for.
  • The gym - I was getting into the gym a couple of times a week and enjoyed doing a different form of exercise. I feel as though I've lost a bit of tone and the weight loss I've experienced over the last 5 weeks I think is down to muscle loss rather than fat loss.
  • Family and friends - I've not seen my Mum for 6 weeks now, having decided that as I was commuting it was too risky. She's 91 and in a retirement home and I'd visit her once a week. She's well, but I feel like I've been denied precious time with her. Similar with other family members, friends and work colleagues.
  • Nero's - well going for coffee in general. I would go for an early morning coffee after going to the gym, just to give me a bit of time to relax before starting work. I also miss going for a coffee and a chat with colleagues at work. We tended to get more sorted out doing that than in any formal meeting.
  • Being able to do something other than just sit at home, exercise or shop for food.
What I'm not missing:-

• Commuting - not having to get up at 5am, the 4 hours round trip on a train and then not getting back home until nearly 7pm. Also the stress of trains not running on time, or not running at all.
  • Traffic noise - the streets are so quiet now, it is rather nice hearing the birds sing.
  • The general rush - before everyone seemed to just be in a hurry all the time. Now people seem to be demonstrating patience and that feeling that if you have to wait for something then that's the way it is. People also seem far more amenable at the moment. I've said hello to more people in the street over the last 5 weeks than I had done before.

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mostly the same (espcially parkrun - being an avid tourist, I always looked forward to my weekly parkrun adventure), although my parents haven't been around since 2013 and most of my friends live a way aways so I didn't get to see them that often anyway. Also bought a bean to cup coffee machine several years ago so I am fortunate I can get a great cup of coffee whenever I want it.
    I do like that it's quieter out there - I don't have to worry so much about crossing roads and forcing myself out super early to avoid rush hour. I still go early for social distancing reasons, but if I go out at 7 instead of 5 or 6 it's not a disaster.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your parents, Cal, must have been tough to lose them in the same year.

A few years back someone gave me some coffee beans as a birthday present. So I had to buy an electric grinder. Having bought the grinder I then thought I should buy a proper espresso machine. Which then meant I needed to buy a jug with a thermometer. The whole thing ended up costing me about 150 quid, for the sake of a a £3 bag of coffee beans. And now it's in storage since I've moved in with my partner!!

I have a Tassimo, which doesn't really do it for me now. 
  • Good points GD.

With OH working from home for the last few weeks and seemingly always there I'm missing having some space for myself regularly. Another reason to go out for a run! Not that I don't enjoy his company but 24/7 is a bit much if you aren't used to it.

Fairly basic bean to cup machine here too, getting pretty ancient. A fellow runner is a coffee fan, a recent tasting session revealed you can spend a lot of money on coffee and machines to make it.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    That is one of the unknown consequences of lockdown, Hazelnut, how relationships will hold up under this. As you say people aren't really used to being together 24/7 and even the most stable relationship will possibly start to feel some kind of pressure. 

I have a colleague who is in a very small flat in London with his wife and 2 young children and on calls with him you can hear the strain and tiredness in his voice.

You can indeed spend a lot of money on an espresso machine. Someone at work had spent over a grand on one not so long ago. I like my coffee, but not that much.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am rather glad I live alone. I know the divorce rate in China has gone through the roof as a consequence of the lockdown - I don't doubt we'll see a similar thing here.
    My De Longhi was one of the first things I bought with my inheritance. The only issue I've had is that the hinge on the bean compartment at the top has succumbed to plastic fatigue and snapped off - otherwise it works perfectly. I think it was around £300 when I got it.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I'm sure we will see a rise in relationships breaking up under the strain, Cal. I do wonder how I'd be coping now if I was on my own. In some sense you've only got to worry about yourself, in others I think I might find it far more isolating not having any contact.

De Longhi is a fine brand. Not surprised it's lasted so well.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    I'm a lover of ground coffee like y'all, but during these times of social distancing austerity, ditch your preconceptions and give Nescafe Espresso a go; it's always on sale in the major supermarkets ~ £2.50. Couple of teaspoons and it ain't half bad.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I'm om the Nescafe Gold Barista Style - it does the job, although it's a bit pricier than Nescafe Espresso. I just miss that coffee shop atmosphere. It was one of the few times during the week when I could sit back, relax and listen to a podcast.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Can't really relate to that, GD as I'd be preoccupied with someone hacking my wi-fi hotspot!  :)

You could give this a dabble whilst imbibing:

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/cafeRestaurantNoiseGenerator.php

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    That is brilliant, Ynnec. I'm going to have the playing at my next virtual coffee meet up with colleagues :smile: