Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm rarely using a laptop these days and can manage most things on my smartphone. Have you considered a standing workstation Gul?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I had bad neck pain after I stupidly spent a Sunday afternoon working with my laptop on my lap instead of putting up my picnic table desk. Even a standing desk doesn't solve the fact the keyboard and monitor are too close together ergonomically to protect your neck, although your posture may be better stood up.

Easy 45 minute cycle in beautiful sunshine this morning to loosen the legs up.
  • edited April 2020
    Gul - agree with you that it's the looking down that's the problem. Balanced the laptop on a couple of fat books (size of book rather than subject matter) and borrowed Mrs L's wireless keyboard, but have ended up going back to the original set up as the keyboard was carp.

Might have to adopt a more reclined posture in the chair to get my head at the right height!! 

Jools - what did you do to alleviate the pain?

Decent segment session this morning to get the day off to a good start.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    General stretching but then worked through the back and shoulders with foam roller and tennis ball. And being stricter about breaks and moving around!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Gul terrific speed I dont think I've seen a sub 6 mile in about 3 years now and would need some ballast shifting first . Weight loss much more difficult than it used to be for me /willpower not what it was.. 
    Sounds like a lot of neck pain about had some myself recently with too much time on laptop and phone but what would we do without the tinternet? 
    Did an 8m on Monday and Tuesday then rest and 5 with 2m hard after nights today ( 6:45 and 6:40) was hoping for a 3rd mile but legs refused....

See a lot of places opening back up now lockdown won't hold much longer by the look of it after these next 3 weeks... If even that long. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - smartphone wouldn't be much use for my work ;) Funnily enough, yes I did think about a standing station. Maybe the ironing board?
    Jools - yes, it does require a separate screen and keyboard really to do it properly. Yes, you certainly need regular breaks, if only to get some more coffee.
    Lorenzo - we have a TV monitor which I used but I have to be careful not to close the laptop lid down too far else it shuts down. Also good job I can touch type as I can't see the keyboard :)
    Leslie - solid week so far. What sort of places are opening up?
    12 slow miles this morning. Last double digit run before next Saturday.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Gul nicely on the winddown for next week. Local restaurants and fast food outlets open again (home delivery only) I think I saw a garden centre saying it was open ,local wheel refurb place open and the recycling centres are opening back up today saw it on the news after being closed.
          There was a report due out by out government start of this week saying what was an essential business and it was expected to shut a lot of places but it seems its been shelved /put on hold now and they have backed away from it .Lot of cars about today when I was out running after last weeks crackdown where there were checkpoints everywhere and people turned around and sent home if non essential travel.

8m again today and saw a cyclist riding in the overtaking lane of the dual carriageway in near the armco not a great idea plus coming home from work yesterday a woman walking round  in the middle of a big roundabout with her back to the traffic as I came round at 7am .She had a panic attack when she heard me coming towards her (clearly taking a shortcut but madness !!! )
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - I don't get out during the day much, so not sure if anywhere's re-opening yet around here.
    6 mile recovery d@d this morning.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 miles in the rain. Lovely and quiet out! Strength and conditioning Zoom style and now being a cat cushion.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Gul only going by what I see advertised on facebook and local news I only go to work ,shop or for a run as per the rules which are extended to 9th may over 'ere. Nice easy 6.
    Jools always an upside of being home and cats are certainly quick to take advantage !

8m more but a little harder here ,I have found that as I only ever run very slow or really hard the in between paces are now a real struggle for me so pushed on a bit for 8:15 average today (more like 9:30 most easy days ) Sun shining bright here and a truely lovely day out and the days we all dream of .
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Jools - a few spots of rain here when I was out yesterday but haven't had a good soaking for quite a while.
    Leslie - nice contrast!
    6 miles again today; this time a gentle progressive from easy to marathon pace. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that's 54 for taper week 2.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some good running going on again, team. Gul, you seem particularly focussed right now. Good miles.

Slow deliberate progress continues here. Got 6 sessions in this week but only 33 miles. Got 10 miles done yesterday, first double digit distance since February, nice and muddy in places too.

I’m in the market for some new running shoes but prices seem particularly high right now. I quite like the idea of the Nike Infinity React as they’ve been designed for injury protection. Bloomin’ pricey though...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    75 miles for me which is high but all at a slow pathetic pace. I'll ease back this week and decide at the weekend if I try a faux marathon.
    I'm not sure why shoes are so expensive GD but I agree, best to hold off.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    You all seem to be cracking on well, Gul particularly so. 

I could probably start running now and in normal circumstances i would, but physio wants me to wait another 10-14 days whilst i continue with various exercises to address several imbalances. Normally I'd ignore that advice but in the circumstances I'm inclined to take my time having come this far.

I noted the other day Germany were talking about cancelling Oktoberfest. Possibly doesnt bode well for Berlin mara. Meanwhile, Trump wants normal life asap so NY seems safer. 

Physio again tomorrow afternoon so I'll see what her thoughts are. my only concern is that as i dont suffer any day to day problems, it's difficult to feed back whether what we are doing is working. I don't want to get to the end of this period, go for a run and find nothing has changed. 

i treated myself to a massage gun this week. Physio asked me to get my wife to massage my back to loosen the one side off, however she was poor at it so the gun seems to have facilitated a better massage. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - making steady progress. A couple of pairs of my shoes are approaching retirement (c.1000 miles), but I have some trail shoes in reserve which will come in handy soon when it's light enough to head out into the countryside. Plus a new pair of road shoes which were supposed to be for VLM, which have only seen about 30 miles to date.
    OO  - that's a lot of slow miles. Did you have in mind to do the possible marathon at a relaxed pace too?
    DT - I would definitely hold off running again just yet, tempting though it might be.
    7 easy miles earlier today. People have been asking me about sponsorship for Saturday, but I didn't really want to advertise the fact that I will be running a marathon around the streets of King's Lynn in case someone takes umbrage. So I've been thinking about doing a specific charity event in May, possibly, after seeing the 2point6 challenge. I did think about doing (2 x 26) x 200m/600m interval marathon (+595m?) but again that would need to be out in a public space. So now I am considering an endurance run round the garden, say 2 x 6 hours and see how many laps I can do?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gdawg shoes should be cheap as no races on so they must have a big stockpile  !
    Dt no hurry back bulging discs are fairly serious, my wife has had 2 operations for that to trim the bulge that was pressing on her sciatic nerve this last 3 years and before that she could hardly get out of bed . Yours is not at that level but you do need to take advice on the best way forward to stop it getting worse.
    0054 not bad for an old git with a dodgy hip putting us all to shame lol
    GUL 2 x 6hrs on the lawn sounds a bit crazy but these are crazy times !!!!!!!

5 miles today with 2 mile flat out then 1/2 mile on /half mile off for next 2 miles .
    Fast miles were 6:31 and 6:33 with 3:13 and 3:04 for the half miles for a decent session.
    7m yesterday for a 45m week.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie- good speedy miles.
    8 steady today with 2 @ MP.; 6:44 & 6:26. Got a bit carried away.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Agree Gul about not publicising your run, I know a few took exception to my last one, best to just get on with it. I'm sure you'll be starting very early and not straying far from home. 
    I'm not sure what pace my hip can manage this weekend. I'm more concerned to run pain free than getting a decent time. I should have a better idea by the weekend but in the range 3:15 to 3:30 would be good. Enjoy your taper Gul.
    That's a good week Leslie 👍

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Solid miles there, Leslie.
    Hope that hip behaves itself OO.
    A "steady" 6.26 split, eh Gul?   :D

Managed to drag myself out to get my run done before work this morning.
    Only 7 miles on the common but a lovely run. Got a couple of cracking pictures.

Feel so much better for getting it done, only 7.47 pace as it was trails but felt stronger as it went on.

Interesting that some people are getting annoyed with runners for doing long sessions. A running mate of mine also said he was surprised at how long people were going. I totally get it, but I probably saw about 6 people today. On my 10 miler on Saturday, probably saw about 8 or 10.

I'm lucky to have the common (woods) on my doorstep. I've done 20 milers before and barely spotted a soul. If we apply common sense and choose our routes carefully, I don't see the problem.
    However, I also appreciate that common sense is missing for some.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - yes, take it steady with that hip, although that's still a decent target!
    GD - sounds like you're progressing nicely. I'm sure some people out for a walk round the block pass more people than a runner out for an hour or two at the right time or place. 6 of the 8 miles were steady, honest! The MP miles were obviously for a short downhill marathon ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Berlin appears to have cancelled from what im understanding  
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oh no, DT! I guess with the Oktoberfest being cancelled today they had little choice as both are in September. Doesn't look good for London if the same precaution applies.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I saw about Berlin: Suddeutsche Zeitung has confirmed it and even rusty GCSE german is enough to get the gist.

8 miles with 10 X 2 min on, 1 min off. Heavy quads today.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    It's great to read there's still plenty of good running going on. 

I've gotten into a nice routine of a Covid-19 miler on Saturday's and one other nippy run during the week. One rest day and the others about 6 miles easy. Today was 10k in 40:04 so all good. Keep safe everyone!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Badbark, what was your back issue and how did you fix it in end? how long were you out? 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice session.
    Badbark - good to hear it's going well.
    Not unexpected news about Berlin, I guess. Others will follow in time I suspect.
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you BB. And nice running Jools, heavy quads is always a good sign 😉
    I'm not too upset about Berlin, it was expected. I have cancelled the hotel for our week trip which saved a lot of money. Also had a decent 7 miler yesterday with one at mara pace. Still way off my best though.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Still a chance for Berlin if they postpone until November. I understand the 5000 rule ends Oct 24th?

Amazingly (for me) I got another run done before work. 6.5 miles on the common again in cracking conditions. Knee and calf feel good, albeit the calf is a tad tight. That can be sorted.
    Steadily getting naturally quicker without doing speed work. Will try and keep that method going to protect injuries and build strength.

Must say, I'm feeling a tad pessimistic about London going ahead. Just hope they make the decision before the 16 week training block starts.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think the risk is if they push to November, they have little wriggle room if this is extended a bit later. I am sitting on my hotel rm for now as don't need to cancel until 11th Sept. Also had a look at Lufthansa and they are giving flexible options but aren't look as far ahead as September.

If London doesn't happen, which seems more than likely, in 2021 only those with a 2019 gfa will be in, as well as the 80 or so people that managed to get one early this year,