Reading Half 2020

Anyone on here signed up for the Reading half in 2020? Would like to share my journey and hear about others.

Comments

• I'm signed up for it - going to be my first half so looking forward to it! It's sort of my local, as I work in Reading, going to be weird running down the streets I walk on my lunch break
  • I'm signed up for it - going to be my first half so looking forward to it! It's sort of my local, as I work in Reading, going to be weird running down the streets I walk on my lunch break
    Was starting to think I was the only one on here that has entered. This is my local, done it 4 times in the past, it is a bit strange running through town the first time but there is always great support there. 
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Nonstick">Nonstick</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/MalteseMalteser">MalteseMalteser</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">I'm signed up for it - going to be my first half so looking forward to it! It's sort of my local, as I work in Reading, going to be weird running down the streets I walk on my lunch break</div>
    </blockquote>
    Was starting to think I was the only one on here that has entered. This is my local, done it 4 times in the past, it is a bit strange running through town the first time but there is always great support there. </div>
    </blockquote>
    I guess you could call it my local bar one, as my town does have a half in October every year (though it is very hilly and not as nice as Reading's course is supposed to be). Really looking forward to it, just need to up the mileage a bit in training until then
  • 11 mile run today along a fairly flat canal (with an incline at the end). Managed it in 1hr 46, with an average pace of 9:42min/mile so pretty pleased with that 
  • Nice run MM, I've been having a really, good block of training last few months, last week I did 69 miles in total which is a lot for me. Had a couple of niggles that where not going away so decided, since there are a few weeks left, I'd take a few days to get over them, hoping to get a long run in on Sunday but will play it by ear. Was at the Madjeski Stadium to see Reading play and it got me thinking about the race, really looking forward to it, currently thinking of getting a race day shoe, looking at maybe trying a carbon plate shoe.
  • Nice going, Nonstick, the most mileage I've ever done in a week is about 25 miles! Really need to get going with some more long runs, I only really do between 5k-10k.

Getting a carbon plate shoe would be pretty good. I've been considering getting an improved trainer for the race rather than the Asics Gel Nimbus 18's that I have, but trying to find a pair of trainers that are wide enough for my feet is proving to be difficult. May just have to go with the ol' faithful after all.
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Back to it last week, managed a touch under 50 miles in total, niggles have cleared up and all back to normal. Crossing fingers that they don't decide to cancel this race.

MM, I have the problem with wide feet also, just brought some Hoka's as they have a 2E size, going to give them a try on treadmill tonight to see how they feel, if not great then probably back to Brooks GTS's or Ghosts, both come in 2E's but these are for training, still looking out for race shoes, not easy to get hold of right now. My main aim is Abingdon Marathon in October (registration opened recently) so not too bothered about shoes till then anyway.

Only just under 4 weeks to go, feeling in PB shape so looking forward to it.
  • Nonstick, how did you find the Hoka's? I found the Clifton 2E's to still be too narrow for me feet.

Tried to amend my finish time from 2hrs 15 to 2hrs exactly, but not able to as my race pack has already been sent out...darn. Ahh well, now trying to find another half that is somewhat local to my new address that isn't cancelled
  • Reading half marathon postponed until further notice. Gutted, but understandable. Just going to crack on with training and plugging in the miles
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was always going to happen. Not sure what to do now, I need to find another race to test myself. At least it's a postponement and not cancelled. There is always park run I guess if that if not cancelled

The Hoka's Clifton 6's are great for me, I would like a little more room but they don't cause me any problems. The thing I like the most is I have fairly fresh legs after longer runs now, I did 16 miles yesterday and my legs felt good after. I do have to tape up as I was starting to get blisters but it's a new brand so I expected that, hopefully break them in fully soon. Still what to get a carbon race shoe at some point as well.
  • Well it's postponed until 1st November so I guess all we can do is continue training for the day itself.

I'm really tempted by the new Brooks Glycerin and Ghost - only issue for me is now not being able to try them on due to the lockdown
  • @nonstick - just curious if the Clifton 6s were wide or narrow? Looking to pick some up but I have narrow feet and need to find a good shoe... any advice? Thanks
  • Thanks for sharing this awesome information.
    https://fireandice.co.uk/