Options

The Thousand mile club - 2020

Comments

• Options
    TT, yeah got to say it's pretty special at times, on a normal year it's great just before the tourists arrive but they do support a lot of businesses and jobs over here...so we are missing them.
    12 miles of back roads (met one person) today, just lovely. 
    369 miles YTD 

Was wondering where some of our contributors had gone, all ok I hope. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, some good running going on.
    Felt absolutely awful yesterday - the lack of sleep definitely caught up with me and I needed a mid-morning nap and then felt groggy and crap for the rest of the day.
    A bit better today so 8 miles done. Back in long pants and arm warmers though I'm glad it's cooler as hopefully I'll sleep a bit better.

YTD: 609
  • Options
    Morning,

Cal & MrM2, congratulations on the 600 mile mark.

Dubai, well done on the impressive garden running, sounds like you have a good system.

Harmander, That's dedication, well done.

As for me, I have been out for a couple of runs and been enjoying the warm weekend, however now on a bit of a downer as all my sites are re-opening in the next few days, I have been reading the revised site rules, which to be blunt will not be implemented by a number of staff, thinks like "if using the staircase and you meet another person, you must agree who is to retreat to a safe location" and only one person shall be allowed into a work space at any time, and my favourite "we advise against using public transport" the sites we have are in north London, so at least 2.5 hours travel, plus I have to tell the wife!

Anyway

13.04.20 - 5.75
    14.04.20 - 7.25

YTD = 186.85
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks David....sorry to hear about your 'impossible' work situation. Stay safe.
    Enjoyed a rest day yesterday, after a busy week. Out at 5:40 this morning, with plenty of layers on; it was only a couple of degrees above freezing. But somehow it was very comfortable for running. In fact after a couple of slowish, warm-up miles I found myself running sub-9 min pace for 5miles. Able to run in the road on the way out, then back along the seafront to see the sunrise. 9 miles at 9:12 pace. Fancy doing my long run (16') after a rest day, then finish the week very easy. 

YTD: 603' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ugh David, that sounds like a right 'mare!

Congrats on the 600, MrM2.
  • Options
    Yippee, my new super duper PC is here and this is the first email on it.

My mate (who also happens to be the Club Secretary got it delivered to his home, unpacked it, loaded it with extras and installed it at my place the same day.  My kids said they were worried for me as I was showing withdrawal symptoms for not being able to report back to The Thousand Miles Club from my usual 'work station'.

I am hoping the few contributors are okay and look forward to hearing from them soon.

MrM2, well done on the 600.
    David, I too sympathise with you having to tell the wife.

I did 8.07 yesterday and 8.08 today making my 

YTD = 797.19 miles.

The total walking was 191.34 km in 8 days but that was only because I did 16.30 km on the first day - I decided to tell the local press that I did a half marathon or more every day for a week by doing 21.57 km yesterday and taking the 16.30 km off the total to give a total of 175.04 km for the week  - this is in addition to the 56.67 miles on the treadmill (a total of 266.24 km or 165.43 miles).

Have decided to drop back to 10 miles or 16.10 km a day of walking from tomorrow.

Incidentally, I have done some work in the garden too - put up 3 metres long trellis from some old wire fencing for the runner beans (the wife will have to plant them), and made a temporary BBQ thingamagee from about ten breeze blocks that were left over from some building works (twelve years ago) - used it to burn a load of garden waste as the Council has stopped the collection recently. Mowing the lawn again tomorrow

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 congratulations on the 600, very impressive.

Harmander well done on the computer, it's amazing how we all rely on them, especially at times like these. 

David interesting that they are not just opening one site and seeing how it goes.

Just a gentle 6.02 miles this morning, bunnies out, some people too (but more bunnies).

YTD:  364.27 miles
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    David: construction industry is a difficult one, with so many self employed / sub contracting and with a possibility to self distance on site I can see why there is a desire to return although I'd be uncomfortable about it. As you also touch on, travel to work is a major issue when we unlock, not that we're really locked down in the sense Dubai is, with packed commuter trains, buses and in London, the tube, huge issues.

Great mileages by everyone especially without the target of up coming events. 

I'm running more, and loving it, but it's very unstructured. I run, I'm on roads and loops in know so can estimate distance and then check my watch at the end. Tend to end up running at 5 min 15 secs per km. I always work in ks, psychologically it seems easier!

Two runs to report, both now in miles, 8.4 and 10.0 so a Ytd of 396.5
  • Options
    Well done everyone, keeping something going in difficult times, couple of lunch time runs in work for me...easy to isolate here on a site closed to public.
    378 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice running, all.
    Harmander, preemptive congrats on the 800, and Donnie you'll be over 400 today maybe? Not long for you either, Hobie.

I've had more disturbed nights - you can read the full saga on the MyLastRun thread if you're interested, but yesterday was a wash out. Today I decided to do my virtual parkrun (I organise a virtual parkrun league for my club to keep folks motivated) so I did a 2 mile warm-up (at 6am I need at least that) then the 5K, then as it was nice I did an easy three mile cool-down in the sun. Time for the 5K was 25:27 which is a bit better than last week but not as good as the first week when I got under 25. Can't be fast every week, I guess, and especially not with compromised sleep.

YTD: 617
  • Options
    Thanks Cal, you are right.
    Good running all - congrats to Donnie2.

Yes I did 8.07 miles yesterday and today so my
    YTD = 813.33 miles

Here is the breakdown of my 4 Garden Marathons in a week.

Day/Date

Steps

Distance (Km)

Time (minutes)

Tuesday 7 April

Wednesday 8 April

Thursday 9 April

Friday 10 April

Saturday 11 April

Sunday 12 April

Monday 13 April

TOTALS

Given that the total for 4 marathons is 168.78 km, the time taken would have been 1,650 minutes (6 hours 52 minutes and 30 seconds per marathon)

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie2...on the threshold of 400' , Congrats..
    Harmander...glad that you've got the technology sorted! And congrats on the 800'!!! ...and garden marathons...who would have thought?!
    Cal...well done on bouncing(?) back today with a respectable 5k so early in the day!

Out the door for 5:30 this morning for my planned 16' run. Having recently enjoyed some faster miles I wanted to include a sub-2hr half. Managed 1:58:30 (approx. 9:02/mile pace). Held that pace for 14' but with the warm-up mile and the final (up-hill) mile the O'all pace was 9:06/mile. (Time: 2:25:44) Happy.
    YTD: 619' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brilliant running, MrM2!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hobie, did you get your Tokyo email today? They've offered us the chance to defer to next year or 2022. As I've deferred Manchester to next year I am likely to go with the 2022 option - it'll give me longer to save up and I don't need to worry about Manchester being too soon afterwards.

Didn't feel much like running this morning but made myself go out end ended up doing 9 miles, including three laps of Clapham Common which I haven't run on in a while (too muddy, and crossing the South Circular is normally a pain so the slightly reduced traffic was to my advantage today).  Sun even came out to say hello.
    Feel better now, which I knew I would.

YTD: 626
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal that is a really good offer from Tokyo, I am pondering what the others will do. Speculating widely I do not think races are going to happen in September. Le Tour is now on for August/September but I am wondering what deal has been made about spectators.

Slow hill reps this morning with warmup and warm down 11.12 miles.

YTD: 375.39 miles
  • Options
    Cal, I was never in for Tokyo, sounds like a decent offer.
    I should be racing an ultra on 2nd May obviously now cancelled...so I'm now thinking of doing it on a loop near my house 18 laps of a 1.8 mile loop which has 350ft climb in it so total of 32 miles and 6000ft of climb...suitable distancing maintained throughout.
    383 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oops yes, it was Gipfel who was in for Tokyo.
    Still not heard about my June ultra - I can't imagine it'll happen. I've no interest in running one on my own, though - for that amount of pain I want a medal and an official time!
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal...Well done for getting the better of your reluctant feelings this morning. Yesterday's run gave me around 73% AG. and together with today's run gave me a marathon time of just over 4hrs.
    Hobie... You do pick the tough ones; makes me feel guilty for running most of my miles on the flat promenade!  All the best for your 18 laps. You'll soon be through the 400'!

Enjoyed getting out before 6am for a steady 10' to top-up yesterday's run for the marathon distance. Managed to get back before the showers became heavy. Everybody was very good about keeping their distance, and then one unhelpful guy decided to stop, and do press-ups in the middle of the path!!!?
    YTD: 629' .
  • Options
    Cal,

Good news about Tokyo.

As for your insomnia, I was going to say that there is no need to lose any sleep over it but thought that might not go down too well so decided not to say it.  OOPS too late.

Got press coverage for my Garden Marathons - see link below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157061605172791&id=24071656779

It is the Ilford Recorder article

Did 8.08 miles today on the treadmill making my 
    YTD = 821.41 miles
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander you have just come up on my Google news feed! Well done on the publicity and actually doing four marathons in your back garden.
  • Options
    Harmander, Yes I saw the article on Facebook yesterday, very well done.

Hobie, That sounds like fun, there are so many interesting "virtual" events going on at the moment, my current favourites are:
    1. Sussex Trail events - The Garden Ultra, Max 24 Hours, results need to be verified and published, so far the furthest is around 70 miles, but I think a couple are going for 100 this weekend.
    2. Cockbain events - 19 in 19, So 19 miles a day for 19 days, a total of 361 miles, again you need to publish proof on their site daily, and I think if you pay a fee of £10.00 you can get a medal.

I was out yesterday and did a 10K, will try for a half this weekend and try some new routes.

16.04 - 6.25

YTD = 193.10
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I've no problems maintaining 5 mins 15 per km but really struggle to speed up on the short runs. Any suggestions? Maybe do some intervals? 

396.5 + 5.2 + 11.1 = 412.8
  • Options
    Donnie, l am pretty much the same, l did my 10k in 52.40 yesterday, l was around 48 a couple of years back. I find intervals really help, but tend to do them at the gym as it is a "one" touch operation on our treadmills, l switch between 10km easy and 13km hard, 200m hard, 400m easy.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Excellent, Harmander!
    David, I think now is an excellent time to find new routes as the roads are quieter. Also keeps us from getting bored.
    Donnie - some fartlek perhaps? I like (?) to do hill reps too - good for building strength and power.

Recovery 6 this morning - rather grey out so it was fairly quiet on the common and I could use the trail paths unimpeded.

YTD: 632
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    David...19/19? Why? I could understand 20/20...
    Harmander...Well done. Just need to raise £20 million now, and you'll be front-page!
    Agree with Cal on Hills and Fartlek, and enjoy intervals, especially when I can use the track.
    Having a rest day today. May go for a short/easy run tomorrow, then an ambitious week from Monday.
  • Options
    MrM2, To be honest l have no idea, will try and find out.
  • Options
    Thanks all,

Went out to the local Tesco Express and got recognised by people in the queue because of the Garden Marathons.

MrM2, funny you should say that, I was just saying to the family I have a new challenge that is inspired by Captain Tom Moore, It is to raise funds for two projects - the monies will be shared equally between the two causes.

Cause 1. - A fully equipped Paramedic bike costs £6,000, a fully equipped ambulance costs £250,000.
    Cause 2.  The Fauja Singh Clubhouse has a target of £425,000, so every bit helps.

My challenge will be to cover 500 miles in my garden during the month of May.  I figured that it will only need 26 km daily to do it and estimate that to take me about 5 hours a day - quicker if I walk to the pace of 500 miles by the Pretenders.

What do other 1000 Mile Clubbers think? (apart from that I am mad of course).

Did my 8.07 miles this morning to make my
    YTD = 829.47
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice, Harmander! Good luck with the challenge - if anyone can do that it's you. I guess you don't have to do 5 hours in one go each day but can break it down into chunks, or do a bit of running to cover it faster if you want to.

A 16 miler for me including a stretch of the Wandle Trail, Morden Hall Park and Wimbledon Common. Out just before 6 and back well before 9.

YTD: 648
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander I don't think you are mad, very noble and kind to think of doing it, mad, no! 

Cal decided to take your advice and do hill reps, tough but thank you because the flat bits felt fantastic!

David I too prefer to do intervals in the gym, far easier to let the treadmill sort out the pace, and no bunnies to fall over 😀

YTD: 388.57
  • Options
    Morning all,

Nothing from Dubai runner for a while, hope he is okay and hasn't fell into the pool!
    Harmander, sounds like a great idea, l will sponsor you a few pennies.
    Cal, nice run this morning, wasn't it lovely out?

I signed up for the free DeMoor virtual half, you could choose between 5km, 10km, half or full marathon. You get a Bib no, and just have to give your number and proof via email, easy these days with Strava.
    So l left the house about 5.45 and ran a lovely route, it did give the run a sense of purpose, obviously no PB's on my own, but finished in a respectable 1.56.58

In other news, l just watched Adam Holland go for the HM world record on a treadmill, the current record is 1.03.38, he was within seconds, his screen showed 1.03.37, however Strava had it at 1.03.46, we shall see, but incredible to see someone running so easily over 20kmph.

19.04 - 13.1

YTD = 206.2