best running shoes

2»

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    With the proviso that it's almost impossible to advise on the best shoe for someone else, fwiw I can give you some thoughts re long distance trails. (5 Beachy Head Marathons run, similar sort of surfaces as Glencoe)

Looking at the course video it looks like its almost all on rocky paths so very grippy soles suitable for mud may not be appropriate. My Innov8's are great on muddy trails, but could be painful over rocks for long stretches. Quite thin flexible grippy soles, good for mud, not nice on hard surfaces.

So although the Hokas sole may be too thick, easier to turn an ankle, they might be more comfortable over the stones. I noticed on the video that some runners were sticking to the grass instead of the path - not enough cushioning? painful soles?

TBH I'm not even sure if you need Trail shoes at all - perhaps you should concentrate on having shoes with a firmer sole and not worry too much re grip. What is important is that they are shoes that are well worn in and very comfortable, so if you do buy new Trail shoes, wear them in really well.

Good luck anyway, looks a great run.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    run_roo_run - if you have a favourite road running shoe look and see if they do a trail version of that model.   Then you should get a good fit and a shoe that suits you.

Or you need to go to a running shop and try a few on and see what feels comfortable for you.
  • I love my newfeel from decathlon, was so cheap (less than 3 pounds on sale), very thin sole, which I find best for grip and feeling the ground. I hate thick soles. it's been discontinued so I'm looking for a replacement, but those "minimal" running shoes are sooo expensive :( if anyone else likes low sole shoes, I'm taking recommendations! (ps: these are the ones I mentioned hi, good morning. firstly, I'd like to congratulate the company on its quality and affordability when it comes to shoes. I was so sad when newfeel walking shoes with low soles was discontinued. It lasted forever and it was great for running, as running with minimal shoes was still not a trend. my last pair is about to go anytime haha and I'd like to know if there are any other edition similar to that one.

all the best,

felipe.)
  • I bought my current pair of Nike Zoom Fly shoes after getting plantar fascitis and wanting shoes with good support, they've been great for the last two years but are starting to wear out. What are some shoes with good support on the market for £50-100?
  • anyone knows any good affordable low drop/minimal shoes, speaking of running shoes? mine's about to end and current options are either expensive or unreliable :/
  • New Balance has the best running shoes. My mom and my sister use it. The design of NB shoes may look the same but the cushioning, comfort, build - they are all extraordinary and perfect for jogging and races. I suggest that you buy one, especially malls are starting to have a Christmas sale. I’m using a New Balance 635 V2, go check it out.
  • Walked into a running shop today to try on some different trainers as I'm looking to add a pair to my rotation. Really liked the Hoka One One Clifton 6's - really cushioned. Tried on the Brook Glycerin 17's and they were fairly nice too.
  • Hello. I need someone's help. I have flat feet, and my job needs lot to walk(run, sometimes). also, wearing uniform(public officer) so 'all black' shoes only. there's so many brands and models of shoes it makes me really confusing. would you guys recommend 'my type' shoes for traditional(leather upper) way and conventional(synthetic upper), please?
  • As an old timer I will add a few comments on ' quality perspective' more out of historical interest than practical advice.

My brief running career was between 1962 (age 11 years) and 1972 (age 21 years) which had to be curtailed due to being unable to afford an achilles sheath scrape operation, as in those days there was nothing in place in order to support/ i.e. heal injured promising young athletes.

But of course now aged 68 the fact that tendinitis would automatically kick in at a training load of 70 miles / week is of no consequence.

In both polar apart periods of my life I tried to source the very best trainers regarding such as being absolutely essential for obvious reasons.

In the early 1970s I was an Adidas freak and just like many other fanatical athletes tried to always get the money together in order to get my hands on such top equipment, which was never easy as a student.

The best in those ancient days were Adidas 'Mexicana Blue' which were manufactured in genuine blue cow suede. One of the first trainers to be released offering massive heel protection, the very first possibly being the Adidas 'SL72' model.

I recorded absolutely everything within my training diary including of course not only my weekly training mileages but also shoe brand mileages.

My last pair of M.B's were scrapped after 1,531 road miles and many other runners would have taken the view that their heels were only half worn out. Let me settle for 2/3rds. Móst of the remaining length of sole recorded little wear.

In more recent times I've bought several pairs of another leading brand and can only say that (just like motor vehicles) they were stuffed with unnecessary technological nonsense and little quality vis a vis what was once possible.

The best recent pair lasted close to 200 road miles before they too fell apart on the almost constantly wet Wales' roads where I was then based.

If I were still a serious runner I would be forced to do exactly what I did as a golfer namely build my own as equipment, such being the only way to source top quality gear. Just as Ron Hill did vis a vis running clothing.

Of course that is how 'Nike' began with coach Bill Bowerman building his own shoes for both Steve Prefontaine and those other runners also under his wing, using a waffle maker on his wife's kitchen table. (see the movie 'Without Limits').

Real quality is hard to secure from any factory in any walk of life. But first be positive and ask today's serious athletes what trainers provide maximum protection and close to 2,000 miles of road training? As I may have missed something out there.

I can't help but laugh as memories of Abebi Bikila come flooding back!
  • > @run_roo_run said:
    > Hi, new to the forums just wanted to ask my own advise about running shoes (Can't start my own thread).
    >
    > I have signed up to the Glencoe Marathon, I have never done much trial/hill running before. My training is going to be a mix of trails and roads.
    >
    > I like the look of the Hoka Challenger ATR 5, but I see some negatives regards the height of the sole. Also looked at Innov8 Parkclaw but I see these are for wide feet and I have narrow feet.
    >
    > Can anyone advise?

Hi @run_roo_run - I just curious to know what you went for here. I have about 320 miles on my Hoka ATRs but also have narrow feet and they're too wide. Looking for a narrow shoe with the support and cushioning.... what did you go for?
  • Nike, Asics, Brooks, Saucony, New Balance, Hoka One One and Adidas all have various options for running shoes. I like Nike for their various styles, new technology in shoes, Nike shoes fit my feet better than other brands. Nike Pegasus, Vomero and Epic React for treadmill running and they look great as casual shoes.

Nike has sponsored athletes that have set world records in 5km, 10km, Half Marathon and Marathon taking advantage of the React and Zoom X technology. Adidas have been overtaken by Nike as the leader in setting world records in running shoes. Eluid Kipchoge's sub 2 hour marathon run in a prototype Nike Zoom X Next % and Alpha Fly was Epic!
  • 1st get yourself a gait test done. If you require a neutral shoe get yourself some Nike Pegasus, doesn't matter if they're a few revisions behind the current.

Why? You can pick a pair up from the Nike outlet / or online sales for £50 or less. They're lightweight, have reasonable cushioning and they're hard wearing.
  • Hello Everyone, This is my first post on this forum. Since I am not able to create threads yet this seems the best option. I am a 22 year old runner (guy) from the Netherlands. I started running approximately 2 months ago. In these months I run on my tennis shoes. Right now I am looking for some proper running shoes. However, I have 2 problems. My shoe size is 38,5, which is makes it rather difficult to find shoes, and I have a high instep. Are there any running shoes that you would advice for someone with this. If this is not the right place to ask this, I am sorry.
    Cheers,
    menno
  • dtl8dtl8 ✭✭
    Nike Epic React Flyknit have been excellent for me
  • Hi guys

Another newbie to this forum, who can’t figure out how to open a new thread. <div>
    </div><div>I’ve been running in Brooks Vapor shoes for the past 6-7 years and love them. They give a flat footed runner a lot of support!  HOWEVER, I cannot get a new pair for love nor money!  Does anyone know which shoe has replaced them?

Thank you 

Adrian </div>
  • I'd love some Nike Vaporfly if I could afford them, lol.
  • BenHBenH ✭✭
    Hey, this new brand Hylo is launching the world’s most sustainable running shoe and say they're perfect for the 5-10k distance They’re doing a pre-launch campaign so they’re giving out rewards like free pairs https://hyloathletics.com/?ref=aJ5abJ
  • I think the best thing to do re: 'the best shoes' is to go to a running shop and get your gait looked at. I did this years ago. I was dead set on getting the most minimal shoe I could put my hands on and left with the complete opposite and most padded pair in the shop! What I went in wanting would have been disastrous as I have a tendency to pronate quite badly when running. Only though seeing myself run could I have made this decision.
    48 year old beginner running since April 2020
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Sub17ParkRun" class="js-userCard" data-userid="810008">Sub17ParkRun</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Nike, Asics, Brooks, Saucony, New Balance, Hoka One One and Adidas all have various options for running shoes. I like Nike for their various styles, new technology in shoes, Nike shoes fit my feet better than other brands. Nike Pegasus, Vomero and Epic React for treadmill running and they look great as casual shoes.

Nike has sponsored athletes that have set world records in 5km, 10km, Half Marathon and Marathon taking advantage of the React and Zoom X technology. Adidas have been overtaken by Nike as the leader in setting world records in running shoes. Eluid Kipchoge's sub 2 hour marathon run in a prototype Nike Zoom X Next % and Alpha Fly was Epic!</div>
    </blockquote>
    Hi cant start a rmthread as yet but I'm a newbie I'm a heavy runner and a over pronator kooking for recommendations for a shoe for asphalt running
  • Hi I'm a newbie i can't start a thread as yet but looking for recommendations for a shoe for asphalt surfaces I'm a heavy runner and a over pronator cheers
  • > @WELLER65 said:
    > Hi I'm a newbie i can't start a thread as yet but looking for recommendations for a shoe for asphalt surfaces I'm a heavy runner and a over pronator cheers

Hi Weller,
    Something like a Brooks Adrenaline would suit you I think - very stable, padded and good for over-pronators.
  • Im finding it tricky to work out the best trainers for me too.
    Its useful reading alot of these comments. It seems going to a running shop to get assessed is the best way to go. Ive always worn just anything comfy and been fine but with a half marathon coming up i should probably get a decent pair
  • My experiences is that my original gait analysis was enough to point me in the right direction of whether I needed support or not, but beyond that it has been 20 years of trying different things to find out what I like and what I don't. The comment about wearing something that "suits" is somewhat simplistic and generalised but it's also true. No one is going to tell you what the perfect shoe is for you so it's best not to over think it and make a decision based on deeply reading thousands of reviews and assuming that what is written will apply to you. Go and try a few things based on what you like the look of and how they feel when you try them on and go from there. When you come to change your shoe again you could then look for something a little more/less cushioned, slightly more snug/loose, possibly a lot lighter etc etc. Eventually you'll get there.

For me as a 6'4" 95kg runner that does half marathons (1-2 / month) and rarely less than 10km for a training run, reviews would suggest that I need something robust and highly cushioned (i.e. probably pretty heavy), but in reality I've found that something as lightweight as I can find with minimal cushioning work best for me and does actually last beyond the mileage that people would think I should be able to achieve.
  • In the olden days I did this test...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVnnVkGTIH0

(Note that is just one of many vids that explain this; I'm not a Wiggle rep :D )

Since then a fancy gait analysis has confirmed I am a neutral runner.

Then I agree with you Rich, you're on your own and need to find what works for you.

I don't have any running shops near me and so order from the internet. I'm surprised that I find that works quite well. No long trips to stores that might not have a very good range anyway. Sure enough it might cost £2.99 to return a shoe that doesn't fit, but that seems cheap against time saved etc.

Glad you found something that fits. I've never found anything that doesn't prevent the odd black toe nail, the search continues...
  • There is no "best" running shoe. There is however "bad" running shoe or "wrong" running shoe. It all depends on the shape of your feet, how you run and what you prefer. It is best to get advice in a shop with experienced sales people, ideally who run too and know what they are talking about.