Tuesday 21st April 2020 - Time stands still for no-one

Morning :)

That's lyrics: Time stands still for no-one

That sounds like a lot of work, ale. Take it easy - we don't want you to hurt your back again.

Oh no, LMH. Limping doesn't sound good. Hopefully it's improved today.

Went to see the foot surgeon yesterday about possibilities to fix my arthritic toes. Fusion is the only way now as both joints (left and right) are toast. There's bone on bone and hardly any cartilage left. I was a bit apprehensive about going but something needs to be done sooner rather than later and they set the practice up well. Lots of space in the waiting room (even though I chose to wait outside), all windows open, disinfectant dispensers galore and everybody wore masks. Operating date will be May 26. Then it's a few months off before they do the other side. So I guess that's me out of running for the better part of a year.

It probably spells the end of my marathon days and it looks like running an ultra wasn't meant to be but if I can run again for enjoyment and run pain free that's fine by me.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

That all sounds very drastic, Chick

What: probably just a short run

Why: assuming my soil and turf arrive I will have another form of exercise. 

Close to a frost here. Dry, cold, breezy, sunny. I'm sure I'll be too warm soon!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Chick - doesnt sound pleasant but presumably all for the best? Never say never about the ultra, Good to have a target at the end!
    Ale - hope the delivery arrives (or not, if you don't want the shovelling!)
    LmH - hope you get the run in

What - probably a walk
    Why - not running
    last rest - everyday at the moment
    last hard - not running
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Alehouse  don't go bonkers with the soil!
    Lyrics yesterday were silver machine Hawkwind
    Lmh that's good mil is doing Tai chi and the Joe Wickes! Hope your knee is easier today
    Dustin hope the walk is ok
    My oh went out and got compost yesterday for the planter he built. It's amazing! 
    My son called yesterday and desperately wants to try a run with me, not allowed really. But mentally needed - i will run to his, meet him in a field and just be together at distance. 
    What I think it will be a 5 miler
    Why to and from son is over 4
    Last hard yesterday 
    Last rest 31/12/16

My run yesterday involved going in the bank to pay in a work cheque 😷
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Didn't manage Tai chi so I must today. 
  • Morning

Seems quite sudden Chicksta - didn't realize you were in that amount of pain though I know you have mentioned it in the past.  But soon rather than later seems to be a good idea considering not much will happen over the next months anyway.  Will hopefully be a full success and you will be able to run painfree in future.

Sorry about the soil Ale.. Be careful of your back.

Nice hillage OH - seems you are also well occupied in your garden.  Good news that Orkney has only had few reported cases

Good news on your MIL LMH.  My mother is of a similar shape and got into doing a senior workout she saw on the TV - promptly got DOMS.  I suggested she should start off with very small sessions.

Have a good run with your son Wabo. 

What: 6-7 general miles
    Why: Tuesday
    Last hard: waiting for new shoes to turn up.  First world problems I know but my old ones are pretty done in.
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • Morning.

Hazel - I did suggest that walking would ease MiL's DOMS :-) Hope your new shoes arrive.

Careful Alehouse.

I hope your ribs are soon healed enough to allow you to run Dustin.

chicksta - good that you were able to see the foot surgeon and are able to have the surgery. Now would seem as good a time as any and I think you may be surprised about your running once you've recovered though I guess it's going to be a long road to return to running fitness.

Hope you can make something positive of your time off RFJ. Mark is having to use leave too.

I should have got yesterday's lyrics Wabo. Hope you can have an enjoyable socially distanced meet up with your son.

My knee feels much better this morning though I can still feel the hamstring/piriformis a little. As all my running is slow currently anyway that shouldn't make too much difference I hope. Motivation seems to be my biggest issue currently. I'm always anxious before I go out that I may meet people who don't help with distancing and then spend the entire run on high alert to ensure that I give people as much room as possible.

What:           short and easy
    Why:            I'm not entirely sure
    Last hard:    enduring
    Last rest:     20/4

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Another one who should have got yesterday's lyrics! After all I danced to it enough times in the 70s!

As you can see, I am on a break. 1.5 tons of soil shifted but the harder work is going to get it flat and level. And more importantly have just put LMH's carrot and banana cake in the oven. Will report back later!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning again
    chicksta blimey poor you.  I get that just running for fun will do though.  Hope it gets done and healed speedily xx
    Alehouse, I totally expected you to know the lyrics yesterday!! I thought lots would, ooh look forward to cake report
    LMH I am so happy - we managed  to run and discussed how he is feeling, he is agoraphobic at the best of times and stays in lots but this amount is getting to him (that is saying something!) His wife wants to try next..
    So just back from 5 mile round trip, very nice and we stayed well distant round a field. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Unfortunately on the evidence of the first slice,  the cake tastes as if it is going to be very more-ish! Will have to check when I have another break in a couple of hours!

All sounds good, Wabo

During my last break I decided to get my run in whilst I was relatively fresh. Only 24 minutes but felt quite good. If it hadn't have been for today's lawn-laying I would have gone longer. 

How were the knees, LMH? One of mine is niggling but pretty sure it from all the kneeling I am having to do.
  • Sounds as though you're going to be busy Wabo :-)

Glad the cake is acceptable Alehouse. Mark liked it with cinnamon cream cheese frosting (I make it and keep it in the fridge to be applied as required which also means I can use a half fat soft cheese). Knee survived the run but I won't really know until tomorrow.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wabo: well done, that's an excellent idea to meet someplace and then just run with a safe distance between you. Bet that was good for your head as well as your son's :)

Ale: 1.5 tons of soil shifted! Blimey. That is a decent day's work in my book.  You've certainly earned that cake. Please watch out and don't overdo things. 

LMH: Yeah, the building back to decent fitness is what worries me most. I've done it twice before - 2013 (after my disc went) and 2017 (after a stress fracture). I was younger then so not sure I still have it in me. Time will tell. Did you manage a stress-free run?
    That cinnamon cream cheese frosting sounds yum. I'm beginning to salivate :)  

Hazel: Hope the shoes arrive. Deliveries are quite delayed here at present as everone seems to have switched to online shopping. 

Dustin: Are you still in pain?

Thanks for all your concerns regarding my feet. It's been going on for years, really but I could always cope. I kind of think as you age you just have to make do with a bit of pain here and there. But it's getting to the point were my biomechanics go to pot so something's gotta give. 

Managed 6 miles this morning but my legs felt very heavy and the strong wind really got to me. I hope it's dying down soon.
  • I did thanks chicksta. Saw very people whilst I was out. You will be able to build back up - us oldies are made of tough stuff. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    You are a mere youngster, LMH! And so am I!

Lawn finished, although will need some TLC over the next few weeks. Need rain!

Could do with going to the alehouse...
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

What: runderwear workout plus walk
    Why: keeping sane
    Last hard: keeping my grumpiness at bay
    Lyrics: nope

Lucas slept last night for 12 hours. Fingers crossed we are turning a corner.

Have a lovely evening all