Comrades 2020

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    When I set out on this adventure I never realised, even when I invented Fruitland, how rich the comical pickings would be. I haven't laughed so much in a long time preparing all these. Wishing you all great results in the coming weeks!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I’m having to socially isolate from Mr Rabbit so the photo is a selfie done with the camera timer. 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read Peter. I watched the comrades webinar last night and still everyone seems quite optimistic that it will go ahead later in the year, even Bruce says that. I still can't see it myself however....
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    And we're still hoping for a Comrades postponement to that timeframe? :/

Germany cancels Oktoberfest

Everyone's favourite beer drinking festival Oktoberfest will not be taking place in its capital Munich this year, the German state of Bavaria has said.

The event, which was due to take place from 19 September to the 4 October, is typically attended by around six million people.

The cancellation is going to be a huge blow to Munich's economy. Reuters say that the festival generates more than €1 bn ($1.07 bn; £0.87 bn) for the city each year.

• I am now in the cancelled camp.
    You also have to wonder whether given current cicumstances it's even sensible for an event with 25K+ people to go ahead. As Terry says Oktoberfest just cancelled. Music tours are now being cancelled in America in September/October. If Comrades goes ahead do we really want to risk our health in a country that doesn't necessarily have the best health care system. They've already got our money. Why don't they just cancel it and be grown up about it.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    The President is speaking tonight.  I'm guessing after his speech, it will be quite clear that the event will be cancelled.
  • Mmm interesting. Booked my flight before March but it’s now talking about flights up to end of December 
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    If the Germans think Oktoberfest is not viable this autumn, then I can’t see an autumn Comrades (in the form that we know it) taking place...
  • Berlin cancelled now!
  • SD - have you had any information on your 100? I'm assuming not as you're still training for it. When is it? July?
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Southern Snail, I see Centurion have now moved the South Downs Way 100 to November. North Downs Way 100 is still scheduled for 8th August, so at the moment that race is my training goal, but I'm starting to think it's likely to go, and there doesn't seem a date left they could move it to. So I may try to think of a slightly easier challenge I can do solo instead. 
  • Baldstan - I noticed that this afternoon too. Difficult to know what to do. If they run the NDW100 in August as scheduled then rocking up untrained is not an option. But having just run a half on Sunday and a marathon on Monday and obviously other runs too, it's not really the sort of training I want to do if it doesn't happen. But who knows when they'll make the call so for now I'm just going to carry on.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I think it's just a matter of time before everything gets cancelled....i think the fact that Berlin has made the announcement so far in advance, shows the world what needs to be done. The first cancellation is always the hardest....
  • So I wonder if London's new date will also be cancelled....
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If the strategy starts to work for spreading the infection curve out as far as possible I can see all the events that have been pushed back into October etc having to be shifted again. I too think Comrades is a lost cause, they should call it now and put us out of our misery. We are going to be in lock-down until Christmas.

• Lowrez -You're obviously a wise man :):)

Although I don't think we'll have a full lock down till Christmas but very probably some form of one. Or hopefully not anyway  :'(
  • apparently latest news just in is St Nicholas is holding an urgent meeting with his elves. Talk of Christmas being postponed. Haha

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think I'd been trying out some recipes when I said that.
  • feeling for Islamic world at this time, Ramadan starts tomorrow not great
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Is it termorrer or Friday? Wednesday is the last crescent of the current waning moon which means there will be no moon on Thursday  (weirdly called a new moon) and the first crescent of the waxing moon will emerge on Friday - either way it will probably be a month where no one can gather.

I'm an astronomer not a religious type though - did you see Venus in conjunction with The Pleiades last night; I though the sky had been rent apart by Apollyon, shatteringly bright, to the point of irrational fear and doom.

Was really out looking at satellites wazzing overhead.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    SSnail - Hardrock is mid-July and is still keeping all options open - as it is a tiny race (146 runners) in the middle of nowhere, it probably has a very slim chance - as opposed to none for anything bigger...
  • SD - fingers crossed. Although you obviously need to be allowed to fly into the country!!! Or you could just swim/row there!!

They are my thoughts on NDW100. The event is 8th August with 300 starters.
  • Yes I saw some satelites last night too Lowrez, Venus is very bright again tonight, next Full moon in 2 weeks is Flower Moon, second in size only to the one last week, the so called Pink Moon. Indeed Ramadan is due to start tomorrow but it is only announced once the crescent is spotted, I follow it well as it is the always the quietest time of the year for my work, once Ramadan starts it is shut down complete in ME and Indian Ocean, fortunately, or 'un' that shut down has already started and Ramadan won't be losing me much business this year! Listened to President R, just spoke of the economy and help for the people, I was thinking he'd say sadly he is not fit enough since the lockdown to race Comrades so he'll cancel it this year....haha
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I sat out and watched the space X satellites fly by last night too.  Re: races I was signed up for the Ridgeway challenge which has already been cancelled.. Rotterdam marathon was rearranged for October so we will see what happens with that.  I'm not signing up for anything else until things become clearer!
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Strange, I sat out and watched the satellites too.  
    Re races I am like you Peter, I am keeping fit but not entering anything but when they start again I will be ready.
  • So how did people know to watch for the satellites - and where and when (don't say 'in the sky, at night'! Will try to remember to look at Venus etc. tonight.
    Regarding races, not sure what's happening with NDW 50 (was rescheduled to 4th July), but I also have NDW100 8th Aug, CW50 12th September, Autumn 100 10th October, SVN Halloween 100 (31st October), Wendover Woods 50mile or 50K 14th November and other SVN events if they go ahead. I'm still following my coaching plan and figure that improving my speed will be helpful for whenever races other than virtual ones do re-start.
    Meanwhile my 50K on Sunday earned me the SVN Cookiethon medal and at some point I'll run a couple more for the Beatrix Potter Challenge and Bee Charity Challenge.
    baldstan: entries for the Halloween 100 are still open...
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    debra - i've been looking at that one. Not planning on entering until we know the race can be run. I am now coming to the conclusion that it is probably very unlikely any races will be held this year now :'(