Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, thanks for the photo of the nest box, hope it gets some residents. 

I hope your Ridgeway race does go ahead. The New Forest series is looking slightly more hopeful, as a friend e mailed the Organisers a couple of days ago, requesting a transfer from the marathon, to the half. He got a reply confirming the transfer. This is no guarantee, of course, that the races will go ahead, it all depends how quickly they can get the pandemic under control.

Molly, great photo of the nails!

We were a bit disappointed with the Kinks performance as we had booked good seats, which were in the gallery, but so far from the stage, that they were just tiny figures, and we could not make out who was who. Also in the first half, the didn't play any of their hits, and some people walked out. However, in the second half they did play them, but it wasn't the same, not seeing them up close. 

Thanks, there is a chance that the NF Half marathon might go ahead, see my post above.

You've done really well to be so successful without going to art school. You obviously have talent to go with your hard work.

My rest day was yesterday, and I ran 6 miles at an easy pace this morning. My knee did twinge a couple of times during the first mile which was all uphill, but after that it was ok. 

Regarding your hour on the bike, my spin sessions are all to music selected by Shona, and not "my cup of tea," but we pedal to the beat which makes the 45 minutes go very quickly. Hope your 6 miler today went well.  
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Aquarius - I see our posts crossed. There's a joke there about my friend riding with G this morning but I'll leave that to your imagination.

A 6% incline is quite tough enough for me at the moment. If I want something harder there's always the three lanes near me which are 25% in places (which I've walked, but when trying to run, only managed to get 200yds before adopting a run/walk strategy for the remainder). Sorry to hear Steve has already got a minor 'injury' - hope it gets sorted quickly. Sometimes you just have to plough on doing stuff on the laptop to get the jobs out of the way. I saw the story about Captain Tom last week when he'd only just started and was hoping to raise £1000 for the NHS - it's really taken off since then and caught the public's imagination. I hadn't heard how G's fundraising was going but good to hear he's already hit his target. He was saying on the BBC this morning how some bits of his ride will be at a slower pace so that children (whos parents have got Zwift!) will be able to ride with him without getting left behind! 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel you are very naughty.

HS I remember seeing the Kinks too. Other groups I’ve seen are The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Cocker, the Beach Boys, and the Bonzo Dog Doo-dah Band. There are probably others that I cannot remember at the moment. There were also supporting acts on at the same time. The strangest combination I can remember were The Tremeloes and Jimi Hendrix on the same bill. 
    I hope your knee twinge doesn’t develop into anything more concerning. Hopefully it’s just due to you doing more road running than usual. 
  • Options
    I did my 10k again today and I actually felt tired today so I will chill out tonight with a few beers and rest up tomorrow.
    I always use my mp3 player on the phone for music when running the bands I listen to are "Fat white family, Warmduscher, Baxter Dury, Afghan whigs, Black lips, Mark Lanegan, The lovely eggs plus many more but I doubt that you guys will have heard of them.

Oh yeah,I got a new pet snake last week. Here he is!
  • Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

Damien Nagle, Ha! Those nails definitely rocked :smile: 

Good job on recognizing when you need some rest. You'll probably feel stronger for it.

Congratulations on your new friend. Does he/she have a name? What kind of snake is that? I used to have a ball python that looked similar to yours, but it wasn't yellow. However, it was a very nice snake. Great pictures.

WtnMel, my husband uses a Zwift when he's training indoors. And, hopefully, he will be able to use it again at some point. I don't think I'm going to tell him about the chance to ride with Geraint Thomas because it will just depress him. But, I bet it was fun for your friend!

I envy Margaret's compost for your garden. I usually get worm castings to mix in to the soil, but the place that I order them from isn't shipping this year.  It sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished in your garden. That's awesome.

Did the link that I sent you work?

Aquarius, I'm pretty sure that I have a photo of dyed orange feet from chasing a naughty puppy through a dye bath...that should appeal to the foot fetishers...  I'll split the profits with you since it was your idea :smiley: 

I'm so sorry that Steve is having a bit of a rough entry back into running.  It must be very frustrating for him.  I really hope that the extra rest day fixes the problem for him.

It sounds like you had a very productive day taking care of all sorts of necessary odds and ends. I am glad that you can now order your groceries on line.  

I'm really impressed by the fundraisers that people are doing in your country to raise funds for the NHS. Our country can't seem to come together to help anyone at the moment, at least on a large scale. However, individual communities are doing a pretty good job of coming together to help out.  

Brian had a weird heart episode, yesterday. He sent an email to the surgeon and they're sending him a heart monitor to wear for two weeks.  My fingers are double crossed that for once nothing shows up on the heart monitor's data.

HS, Your experience at the Kinks show sounds very frustrating.  I think I would have been very disappointed.  I hope that they at least sang Sunny Afternoon'?

That is a positive sign for your NF half marathon.  And, if one race goes on, there's hope for all of us :smile:

Your knee still twinging sounds a little worrisome to me. Though, it is a positive sign that it only occurred at the beginning of the run.  Please be careful!

Part of the problem on the bike is that I find the seat incredible uncomfortable.  However, music might help the time pass more quickly. I'll try that next time instead of an audio book.  

I ran a easy 6 miles today.  It wasn't very exciting.  I have decided to rearrange my training schedule so that my long run is midweek, and doesn't take up so much of my Sunday.  When Brian was riding, it worked well to go for a long run on Sunday because he was out on his bike. But, now that he's home more, I'd rather spend the time with him around the house/yard.  So, instead of going into Training peaks and spending hours cutting and pasting the workouts into different days for the marathon training, I just backed up the start date of the training plan to Friday of this week.  Which means that tomorrow better be a really good rest day because on Friday I start training again.

• Options
    He's a reticulated python and my youngest has named him "Noodle"
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

Damien: I think this forum needs a health warning on it - first Molly’s nails and now your python! :o
    I hope your fatigue was just a temporary thing and that your beers and rest day did the trick.
    You are right, I’m afraid I haven’t heard of any of those bands. 

Molly: How long does it take for your dyes to wear off your hands (or feet)? I often have red hands from grating beetroots, but it tends to wash off after a few attempts.
    I’m sorry to hear about Brian’s heart episode, I hope the heart monitor arrives soon and doesn’t show any anomalies. It’s worrying when things like that happen, particularly at the moment when all you really want is a face to face appointment with someone who knows what they are talking about, but you can’t get that, and there’s no telling when things will get back to “normal” and proper appointments will be available again.
    Steve has just had a telephone conversation with his General Practitioner as he’s having a lot of pain in his shoulders and hips, they are common side effects of his statin so the GP has told him to come off them and ring him back in a couple of weeks at which time he’ll think about trying Steve on an alternative. I think the conversation lasted about 3 minutes, and Steve didn’t get the chance to ask any questions. However Steve is persevering with the Couch to 5k programme, and has also had a telephone consultation with his physio. The physio thinks Steve’s glutes have switched off due to his two year inactivity period and consequently the piriformis is overcompensating. So, like me he has his rehab exercises to do and, for the moment anyway, he is actually doing them.
    That’s a good idea to back up the start date of your training, I hope your rest day was beneficial and you are raring to go again today.

Today I had a gentle 5.5mile run and apart from a slight ache in my knee on the return (slightly uphill) leg I had no problems. My legs are a bit tired in general, but I think that's due to the interval training and the rehab exercises. I’m making sure I’m doing lots of stretching and rolling so hopefully my legs will be fine again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

I've got another problem with my plumbing. When I returned from shopping this morning, I discovered water under the mat in my hall. I contacted Andy, my plumber and he is working on it.He's hoping that he won't have to remove the hot water tank to get to the leak. He managed to cut off a section of pipe and weld in a new piece. 

I will reply to all the posts this afternoon, after I've recovered "from all the excitement!" :sweat_smile:

• Options
    Nothing worse than leaks at least your plumber turned up. One I had once went to get a ladder and never returned just to fix a leaking coupling.

I ran again this morning in the wind and heat and I was feeling great :)
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all

HS: what’s happening with your leak? I hope the reason you didn’t get back on here yesterday wasn’t due it being a bigger problem than you thought.
    Damien: good to hear your running mojo is back, that beer must have been pretty good stuff. :)

No running for me today, boring housework chores instead, but I hope to get out tomorrow morning, probably speed work again.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

Damien - you're quite correct, I've never heard of any of those groups you mentioned. I've never been a 'pet' person myself but I have a friend who used to keep snakes and had filled his spare bedroom with them (several large aquariums). I think it's just some sort of lizard he has these days in a custom-built glass-fronted area under the stairs. Anyway, hope you enjoy looking after 'Noodle'.

Molly - I think my friend enjoyed riding with Geraint for a few hours but she says her a**e hasn't forgiven her yet :) According to feedback from Margaret, you're not the only one finding the seat of your exercise bike uncomfortable!

Aquarius - hope the GP is able to advise Steve re the statins and that those rehab exercises do the trick re his piriformis. Hope your legs recover okay from the intervals, rehab and latest run.

HS - sorry to hear you had another plumbing problem but thank goodness your plumber Andy was able to fix it quickly.

My best concert memory was seeing David Bowie (and the Spiders From Mars) at Friars Club in Aylesbury. My friends and I had queued for several hours beforehand so we at the front, right next to the stage. It was quieter there than we expected because we were level with the PA system so all the noise was being blasted behind us. 

After my 5ml run on Thu morning, I was weeding in the garden in the afternoon. So was feeling slightly worn out yesterday and as it was raining, I did some well overdue de-cluttering of files and folders. My 'tax' folder ended up much thinner as the majority of the paperwork made its way to the pile waiting to be shredded. Raining again today so apart from a very noisy Zoom meeting a short while ago to wish our granddaughter Georgia a happy 9th birthday, I've been doing more of the same. My box of papers to be shredded is now overflowing so time to start on that.

Planning to run on the treadmill again tomorrow morning ..
  • Options
    Hi everyone, 

Sorry again for my lack of posting. Andy was with me for about 3 hours yesterday, so I had a late lunch. I was knackered afterwards and still rather stressed. 
    This morning I did the 5k solo challenge and did my quickest solo this year, 27.58, average 9.01 minute miling, WAVA 66.63. 
    The hall carpet has nearly dried out, and I need to hoover it.
    Sarah F has got blocked drains and is waiting for the water company to unblock them.
    More later when I have sorted myself out.
  • Options
    Good Evening Everyone,

Damien Nagle, I'm really glad that you are feeling back to form. Though, I'm a little jealous that you got to run in heat. We had snow on the ground the other morning. However, the weather is supposed to take a sudden turn for the better starting tomorrow!  

Noodle is a great name for a snake :smiley:

Aquarius, It really depends on the type of dye that I'm using, and the quantity of material that I am dyeing.  Three days of dyeing using some of the synthetic dyes can stain my hands for several days, and my nails for a couple of weeks.  A strong indigo vat will stain my hands blue for about 24 hours, but again my nails stay blue for considerably longer.

Brian's heart monitor arrived in the mail today. We'll unpack it tomorrow after the package has had 24 hours to sit and 'ungerm' itself.  And, then we're back to the wait and see game.

I'm so sorry that Steve didn't get more time with his Dr. regarding the statins. But, at least he can come off them. Hopefully, his shoulders and hips will start to feel better.   It sounds like he had better luck with the physio.  I hope that the exercises help. Kudos to him for sticking to the C25K plan.  It must be frustrating.

Excellent news that you were able to run 5.5 miles with only slight discomfort!  How did your knee hold up with the speedwork?

HS, What a nightmare. I'm sure it was stressful to have the plumbing issue. But you seemed to channel the adrenalin very well.  Congratulations on your time for the 5K solo challenge.  Maybe we should puncture your pipes before your race this fall? Just a tiny pin prick :wink:

I'm so glad that your house is almost back in order. All joking aside, this is a terrible time to have added stress. Poor Sarah F.  I can imagine that her adrenalin must be pumping, as well.  Chocolate is definitely in order for both of you!

WtnMel, Ha! I spent a few minutes trying to figure out what a**e meant. But, then I remembered that a**e = a**. This forum is certainly educational for me!

I am definitely coveting your paper shredder.  I have a huge pile of paperwork that needs to be shredded and no shredder in the house. I may take scissors to the pile in the near future just to get it out of my office.  

Yesterday was the start of the marathon training plan.  As the schedule is now, Friday is an easy base building run. Saturday is cross training. Sunday is the hard run (primarily tempo or hill, with an occasional interval run thrown in). Monday is a rest day. Tuesday is cross training. Wednesday is the endurance run. And, Thursday is a rest day.  An interesting feature of the plan is that it calls for three weeks with 20 miler endurance runs.  Those are going to be tough weeks.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

Molly: I suppose by now your dyed hands and nails must seem quite normal to you and Brian, so much so you probably don’t even notice them anymore, but I bet other people do. :p You must get quite a few strange looks if you pop out to the shops just after doing a batch of dyeing.
    Great news that Brian’s heart monitor has turned up, and very sensible to quarantine it for 24 hours as you don’t know how many people have handled that package before it reached you. How long does he have to wear it for before returning it? 
    Good to hear that you have now got started on your marathon training, and from your schedule I’m guessing you started with a cross training session yesterday. I see today’s session looks like being the hardest of the week, how did it go?  I’ll be following your progress with interest, as I’ve never done a full marathon, only halves. These days I just do 5k and 10k distances, and as much as I’d have liked to have done at least one marathon realistically I don’t think I’d have the stamina for it, in fact I’d probably struggle to do a HM now.

WtnMel: our shredder has ben working overtime too lately. It’s good to have a de-clutter and tidy up. Steve and I are polar opposites in that respect, I hate clutter and am always tidying and throwing things out. Steve likes to hang on to things (everything in fact) and has piles of letters, magazines, books, and nick-racks of all sorts in various piles around the house, and then there are his desk drawers which are full of odds and ends that have been gathered over a lifetime (and are an endless source of wonder and delight to our granddaughter when she visits us). Of course this frequently results in him asking me where various items are, as he never can find anything.
    I hope your energy levels are back to normal after your busy day of running and gardening on Thursday, and that your treadmill session went well today.

HS: Oh dear, what a stressful day you had on Friday, at least it’s all sorted out now. I see it didn’t impact on your 5k run though, excellent time and WAVA.
    Poor Sarah F, has the water company been to sort out her blocked drains yet?  

I did intervals again this morning, 5 x 300m just the same as last week. I was pleased to see I’d improved my times this week. Last week my slowest pace for 300m was 9.09 min miling and my fastest was 8.19, this week my slowest was 8.07 and my fastest was 7.56.  An added bonus is my knee didn’t hurt at all, either while running or while stretching afterwards. I’m going to do a lot of additional stretching this afternoon though to be on the safe side.

I have a horrible feeling that I heard something on the radio this morning indicating that the government may be considering advising the elderly to continue with self isolation for another 12 months, I really hope I misheard that, I'll have to google it and see what comes up. I really don't think we could face 12 months of self isolation :(
  • Options
    Good evening all,

I've read back and hope I haven't missed anything, but some of this may be out of order. I'll try to keep on top of posting again, as it is tricky with so much going on at present, and thing changing form day to day.

Damien, I've never heard of any of those bands, are they thrash metal? Thanks for the picture of Noodle. Do you have any other reptiles?

WtnMel, Friars club in Aylesbury had a reputation for attracting top acts.
    I've been doing more shredding, it is never ending. My latest project is shredding old pay slips dating back to 2007.

Aquarius, I saw the Bonzo Dog Doo dah band at London University. Was Brian Poole still with the Tremeloes when you saw them?  The first big stars I saw as a teenager living in Surbiton were Billy Fury, Eden Kane and Helen Shapiro at the Kingston Odeon, all on the same bill. I still remember the girls in the audience crying, screaming and waving their hankies. Could hardly hear a word of the songs. I saw the Rolling Stones before they were famous at the Thames Hotel, Hampton court, and wasn't very impressed. I never imagined that one day they would be one of the biggest bands in the world. They had come from the Craw Daddy in Richmond where they were the resident band.
    Good news that your knee seems to be getting better, so keep up the stretching and rolling.
    Yes Friday was definitely very stressful for me, and Saturday for Sarah with the two blocked manholes. I think the water company did unblock them, otherwise she wouldn't have run, because she said she wouldn't run until after they had been.
    Well done with your interval training, those are impressive times and good that your knee didn't cause any problems.
    There is a rumour that the over 70's will be isolated for 12 months or until a vaccine is available, but Gove has denied that they are looking into an early relaxation in certain areas such as schools. The problem with Governments is that you can't believe a word they say, and they never give a direct answer to questions.

Molly I see that Brian's heart monitor has arrived. Isn't it a sign of the times that you didn't unwrap the package for a day, in case the virus was lingering on it.
    The adrenaline certainly seemed to  work for Sarah and me, as we both did our quickest solo 5k's to date, but on different routes.
    Did you find that listening to music made it easier on the bike?
    I think that the Kinks did sing Sunny Afternoon. It was over 34 years ago , so I can't remember everything they sang.
    Good luck with your marathon training. 3 x 20 miles is included in most marathon training programmes, but not normally in successive weeks.

I hope I haven't missed anything but there was a lot of catching up to do!
    Today has been warm and sunny, and I ran 7.26 miles, mainly in the forest. There were lots of dog walkers who kept their dogs under control. They are conscious that they don't want their dogs running up to people who might touch them and pass the virus on in their fur. I don't know whether that is possible, but it's good that they think it is.
  • Options
    Hillstrider.
    I have a Yemeni chameleon too.
    The bands are stuff that's normally played on BBC radio 6
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - trust you're not as stressed out now after needing Andy the plumber back again and that your hall carpet has dried out (or is doing so rapidly). Sorry to hear Sarah F now has problems. Re good groups appearing at Friars Club, I think we were very lucky back in the day having it so close. You're right about the govt .. it's all 'spin' at the moment. Plus don't forget, there's no covid testing available for NHS staff .. but if your name is Gove, magically you go to the front of the queue. Yes, (re Molly's question) it was definitely the Kinks sang Sunny Afternoon. Well done re your 7.25ml run.

Molly - glad to hear Brian's heart monitor has turned up. Reading about your hands getting stained took me back to when I did a Spencer Tunick photoshoot in 2016 and we had to apply body paint .. I was still finding bits of the paint on me two weeks later despite numerous showers in between. Ha-ha .. I forgot you have a different name for some things :) Having never run further than a half-marathon, the only time I've done 20 miles or more in one go was while walking the Coast To Coast or the time I did a sponsored walk of 26mls from Avebury stone circle to Stonehenge (the 'Sarsen Trail' walk .. which also included a half-marathon or full marathon for those looking for something different). Anyway, good luck building up to those long runs.

Aquarius - with the shredder I'm going to have to do what I did once before. Balance the shredding part between two dining room chairs with a large dustbin liner attached to the chairs positioned underneath .. that way I won't be constantly having to empty the container that's normally beneath the shredder. I'm the sort that can usually remember exactly where things are, even though there are probably too many bits and pieces around. Well done re your interval session and glad to hear your knee didn't hurt afterwards. Haven't heard about elderly having to self-isolate for twelve months .. hope you misheard that!

I was very happy with my treadmill run yesterday morning - just 4mls at an avg pace of 9.44mm. I think that's the fastest avg pace I've managed for a long while.

Sunny again today (and for the rest of the week by the looks of it) so been out this morning sanding the front door ready to paint tomorrow. Just had coffee with Margaret so heading out again shortly to sand down the garage up-and-over door so I can paint that tomorrow too.

• Options
    Evening all, 

Damien, is this a new hobby, or have you always been interested in reptiles?
    I've never listened to BBC radio 6. I'll see if I can find it on my DAB radio. 

WtnMel, I'm more relaxed now thanks, and Sarah F's manholes have been unblocked. Unfortunately they were on her property, so she responsible for payment. 
    I know Sunny Afternoon was one of the Kinks biggest hits, but I couldn't remember if they sang it during that show. I'm sure that they must have though. 
    My shredder takes 5 sheets at a time, but I frequently have to put it into reverse as the cutters get tangled with the paper shreds.
    Well done for your treadmill run yesterday, you are definitely getting quicker!
    Good luck with the sanding and painting. The paint should dry quickly this weather. 

I ran a very easy pace 5 miles on roads this morning and was surprised that my average pace was 10.18 minute miling. A year or so ago I would have been running nearly flat out to achieve that pace.  :smiley:
  • Options
    I have always been interested in reptiles over the last 20 years I have kept Scrub pythons, carpet pythons, royal pythons, blood pythons, boa constrictors. Until recently I had an albino Burmese python who passed away after I had him 10 years. That is why I got the Retic.

• Options
    That's very impressive Damien. Do you keep them in glass cabinets. They must take up a lot of room. 
  • Options
    Damien NagleDamien Nagle ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm just down to the chameleon and the retic now. The chameleon is in a glass cabinet and the snake in a 4ft x 2ft vivarium.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,

HS: I’m afraid I can’t remember whether Brian Poole was still in the Tremeloes when I saw them, I’d gone to see Jimi Hendrix and my only recollection of the Tremeloes was that they couldn’t get their sound system working, and ended up getting a fair bit of good natured heckling from the audience. They persevered for some time, but as everyone was getting restless they eventually gave up and left the stage. It’s funny that you saw the Rolling Stones in their early days and you weren’t impressed, I think a number of the groups who eventually went on to become household names started out rather raw and amateurish in their early days, and anyone who saw them then would never imagine what they would become (other than record producers perhaps). 
    I agree with you that you cannot trust governments, or most politicians come to that, to be straight with you. They hide behind stock phrases and statistics, and even when shown to have been economical with the truth they usually manage to wriggle out of it. It’ll be interesting to see whether the current fiasco with PPE and lack of planning comes back to bite Boris and Co in the bum. 
    It’s a measure of how much your running is improving if your “very easy pace” average is 10.15 min miling! Well done.   :)

WtnMel: I like your solution for shredding in large quantities. Were you perhaps an engineer before retiring? You always seem to be able to look at things in a constructive and problem-solving manner, similar to my husband who is a retired civil engineer. 
    Great treadmill run, I think you have been taking a leaf out of HS’s book, your average of 9.44 over 4 miles is excellent and must be very motivating in these difficult times when we can’t get out for our usual runs. It’s funny isn’t it that we are all managing to put in some good performances at the moment, despite altered conditions. I’d like to think we could carry over these improvements if we ever get back to racing again.
    How about posting a photo of that Spencer Tunick photoshoot for Molly?

Damien: I’m like WtnMel in that I’m not really a “pet person” either. However I can see you are obviously a reptile enthusiast, do your family share your enthusiasm? I’d ask you what you feed them with, but I suspect I’d rather not know.  :p

Molly: I hope all’s well with you and Brian. How is your marathon training going?

I slept in a bit this morning so didn’t get out until 6.30. I was dreading seeing lots of dog walkers but fortunately there were only a handful, plus some cyclists, a runner and a few people just out walking. I don’t often see people out walking at that time (unless they are dog walkers) but I imagine they were hoping to get their exercise in before it got too busy. At this rate we are all going to be setting out earlier and earlier every morning in the hope of avoiding each other.
    My session today was hill repeats at the local park. I had a slow run up to the park, did the same number of repeats as last week (6 in total), then a quick run home. I didn’t have any problems, other than being tired from having not woken up properly. I’ll have a rest day tomorrow, then maybe a longish run on Thursday or Friday. 
    April is usually a busy month for me as regards races. Easter Sunday is always a 10k road race, the following Sunday is 10k trail race, and the Sunday after is also a 10k trail race. It’s unfortunate that these three races always follow on from each other every April, making them hard work, but I’ve really missed doing them this year. Having said that, it’s hard to imagine ever racing again, I think this social distancing will have made me paranoid about ever running in a pack again. The thought of doing something like the Great North Run is unimaginable now, when I think about the amount of time we had stand around in our pens, closely packed in without even room to stretch, then the pack would barely thin out once the race had started and you were constantly weaving in and out of runners, with runners behind trying to get past at the same time. I’ve even found lately when watching a programme on television that was obviously made before this pandemic, and I see everyone standing side by side, or in groups, it just feels so wrong.  :/
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me how i start a new discussion on the forums? I cant find it anywhere?
  • Options
    Good morning everyone,

Damien, that's a great picture. I'm also wondering, the same as Aquarius, whether your family also share your enthusiasm for reptiles.

Aquarius, Jimi Hendrix was obviously top of the bill, and presumably the Tremaloes a support band. He was a paratrooper before his musical career, but broke an ankle on landing from a parachute jump. I wonder if that hadn't happened, whether he would ever have become famous. In my opinion, there has never been a better musician in the pop and rock genre, before or since. Even Eric Clapton has admitted that he  doesn't know how Jimi played some of his stuff, and at the time, I remember the slogan "Clapton is God." I have a Hendrix LP in my loft, along with many others. My favourite Hendrix song is "All along the watchtower," which is amazing. I know that Bob Dylan also recorded it, but don't know who was first. The Beatles are another example of groups that didn't impress in the early days, but went on to greatness. They definitely weren't one of the most popular bands in Liverpool, but honed their craft in the clubs in Germany. 

The Government have a lot to answer for their inadequate handling of the pandemic. I'm afraid Johnson got his just deserts for making light of it in the early days and not taking it seriously. Not chairing any of the 5 cobra meetings was inexcusable. The Government seem to be floundering, and trot out someone different each day to try and convince us that they have everything under control.

Thanks for your comments on my improvement in pace.

I think 6.30 am was a very early start and presumably before breakfast? That was a good session, 6 hill reps in the park. Enjoy your rest day tomorrow, and a longer run at the end of the week.

I agree with you about thinking what it would be like racing again. I don't think that things will ever be the same, and our attitude towards crowds will be different. I read in todays paper, that they might ban the practice of applying spit or sweat onto cricket balls, which has been a practice for many years, especially among fast bowlers. I think that they will still be able to polish the ball on their flannels though. I can't imagine being crammed like sardines in the tube trains again. It's a miracle really that we have never had such a serious outbreak before.

Towards the end of yesterdays road run, a police woman on horse back was riding towards me, and I was thinking that she would say that I shouldn't be out, and should stay indoors. I was pleasantly surprised however, when she smiled and said good morning, and I said good morning in return.

This morning was early shopping in the 7.30 to 8.30 am OAP slot and I got everything I needed, filling 3 bags. I won't be running, as shopping is my one permitted trip out for the day.
  • Options
    The Kids and wife all like Steve and Noodle. Steve eats crickets plus other bugs and Noodle eats rats.
  • Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

I've been crazy busy trying to meet a deadline, and have, sadly, missed a few days of posting. There are a lot of comments to catch up on so I hope I don't miss anything.

Aquarius, Congratulations on your interval improvement. I am so happy to hear your knee is recovered. Yay! Your hill repeat session sounds as though it went quite smoothly, as well.  You are going to be very strong by the end of the summer!

I agree that the social isolating is going to leave a mark on our psyches. I have no idea if the October marathon will happen, but just this morning I was thinking about how weird and uncomfortable it will be in the starting pen.  

I think that Brian is supposed to wear the heart monitor for a couple of weeks. I am a little foggy on the length of time.  The good news is that his heart rate stayed pretty low during his walk, yesterday.  But, if he has been sitting on the couch and stands up, it still shoots pretty high. At least, it comes back down again, which is an improvement. How is Steve faring?

HS, One of my previous dogs was certified for Therapy Dog work, and we would visit nursing homes. One of the things covered in the training for the handlers was that illnesses could be transmitted through petting the dogs, the same way that they can be transmitted through shaking hands. It was stressed that we needed to be careful about visiting residents who were ill so as not to carry the infection with us throughout the nursing homes. 

Congratulations on your pace improvement!  I'm so happy for you.

Ha! I thought that perhaps the police woman was going to offer to race you. I'm sure the horse would have been a worthy running partner :smiley:

Today will be my first day back on the bike since your post. So, I will be trying out the music, and I will let you know if it helps.

WtnMel, I agree with Aquarius, you should definitely dig up those Spencer Tunik photos!

Great job on your pace for the 4 miles!  At this rate you are going to join the speed demon ranks in no time. 

Reading your posts about the walking tours has really made me want to travel to the UK to explore some of those areas.  Until the virus, my husband was traveling to the UK a few times a year for work, but that was always just to London.  However, I really can't imagine getting on a plane again, which is a bit of a problem since my mother lives half way across the country, and I sometimes need to travel for my work.  Our new world is definitely requiring some mental re-adjusting.

Good luck with the doors. Are you removing the front door to paint it?

Damien, your reptiles are very cool. I know how much work they take to keep them healthy. While I really like the reptiles, I found that I wasn't a very good owner. Beside the ball python we had a bearded dragon for a while that ate crickets. It was horrible. The crickets kept getting loose, and we would hear them chirping around the house.  And, I had a really hard time coping with the whole feeding mice to the snake aspect of caring for the snake.  Both of our reptiles eventually went to a good home, and I believe that the snake is still alive many years later.  

Today is the last training day of my first week of marathon training. So far so good.  Though, it is always hard to balance the tension of the pace that you are aiming for, and the paces that will allow you to finish the training without injury.  I am hoping for a an 11:30 pace, which will let me finish in 5 and half hours. There is over nine hundred feet of climbing spread over 14 miles of the route in the form of killer rolling hills, so it's going to be a challenge.  Today I get to sit on the bike for an hour, and I am going to be blasting some music.  

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - must admit, my shredder was a 'cheap' one that only manages one sheet at a time .. luckily for me, Margaret wasn't such a cheapskate when buying hers so I nab that one for when I have a lot of shredding to do. Good news that your 'flat out' run from last year has now morphed into an 'easy' run. I agree - Hendrix was the best musician of his time and I think he still has to be surpassed for his sheer virtuosity. 

Aquarius - no, I wasn't an engineer before retiring, I used to do IT support. But I was an engineering apprentice in my early days so maybe that accounts for the way I sometimes solve problems with a bit of lateral thinking? What's this? - you want me to post a Spencer Tunick photo for Molly? I see you 'slept in' and 'only' got out at 6:30am - anything before 8am is 'early' for me these days. I see you did some hill repeats - I could probably simulate something like that on my treadmill. I agree - we've been watching pre-Covid programmes and have been thinking how odd it looks with people in close proximity.

Molly - 'life' gets in the way of important stuff like posting on here from time to time so no apologies needed. What's that? - you want to see the Spencer Tunick photo too? ;) If you ever decide to travel to the UK for a walking tour be sure to let me know as I may be able to help or advise on what/where. No, I didn't remove the front door as it's just the outside I've needed to paint so I've been able to do it with it in place. Hope the bike session goes okay.

I saw a letter in today's Independent .. the writer said he understood a lot of our politicians studied PPE at university so he couldn't understand why it's such a problem for them at the moment :) 

BTW, did anyone else see the final of University Challenge - very impressive performance by the winning team (so I don't think they'll be short of potential employment when they graduate!)

Not been able to post for a couple of days - been busy painting! After doing the first coat on the front door yesterday I could tell it would need a second coat. So been out this morning putting on the second coat and it's come up well (phew!). I decided against painting the garage door at the same time - I didn't think I would have enough paint if it needed two coats. And I'm still not sure about the coverage so probably need to order another can of paint before I start on it. The front door was very fiddly with the way the glass is set into it and the knocker, letterbox and handle. Despite my best efforts and trying to maintain a steady hand there's been a few places where paint has got where it shouldn't have so I'll need to go round the door tomorrow with my Stanley knife to remove the excess.

With the painting yesterday, I didn't do my 'usual' Tue morning treadmill run. But I did some x-training by cutting the lawns instead :)

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Damien, glad to hear that all your family like the reptiles.

Molly, I always find it difficult to catch up if I haven't posted for a few days.

I sometimes wonder whether any races will be held this year. They keep postponing them to a later date, and then another, etc. At the moment, the only race that I have entered that hasn't yet been postponed is the New Forest Half Marathon on 13th September.

That's interesting you confirming that illnesses can be passed on through animals fur. I'll be  extra cautious in future.

I had to laugh at the thought of the police woman horse rider racing me.

I hope the use of music whilst on your bike helps. When I had my ipod shuffle, I found anything by Status Quo was perfect for running. Running to the beat gave an ideal cadence.

That marathon of yours sounds a real toughie, so steady pacing will be essential. Don't be afraid of walking up some of the steeper parts, you will find everyone around you will be doing the same.

WtnMel, thanks for your comments on my improvement of pace, and glad that you agree about Hendrix.

I'm afraid this Government have made a right Bxlls up, by the way they are handling this pandemic.

I watched Prime Ministers Question Time, the first with Sir Keir as the leader of the Opposition. He did a fine job, and his years as a lawyer certainly showed to his advantage. What an improvement on Corbyn, who was a disaster. He will give Boris a hard time when he eventually gets back to work, especially as he resorts to bluff and bluster when under pressure. 

I did watch University Challenge and have done since the days of Bamber Gascoione. I think I only got two questions right.

Well done with the painting, it seems that everyone is at it now. Sarah H has sanded down and painted her radiators, and I have seen a couple of people painting their fences as I've run past.

We have just been informed by the council that they will start collecting the garden waste again from next Monday, which is good news, as some ignorant people dump it in the forest, which is poisonous for the ponies. 

I did a mid week 5k this morning, as a warm up for Saturdays virtual 5k challenge against  many of my club mates. I was pleased with my time of 28.52, which is an average of 9.17 minute miling, as I wasn't pushing as hard I hope to on Saturday.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    By popular demand (well, Aquarius & Molly anyway!), just popped back to post a couple of photos from the Sea Of Hull photoshoot by Spencer Tunick. One I found online of someone's hand showing the four colours of body-paint that were used. And one of me (heavily cropped!) painted in the 'B1' blue colour ..

If you want to see any more, just search for "Sea Of Hull" in Google Images .. :)
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone,

HS: It’s hard for me to pick a favourite Jimi Hendrix number, I agree All Along the Watchtower is a contender, but I also like The Wind Cries Mary.  I had two albums - Are You Experienced and Axis Bold as Love, we got rid of our record player just before vinyl came back int fashion, but we’ve downloaded the albums onto a memory stick which we plug into a USB port in the car. 
    You must have got a surprise coming across that police woman on her horse. We’ve also seen a greater police presence lately, with police cars slowly patrolling our estate, officers on foot walking through the estate, police motorcyclists on the more major roads as well as police cars and vans. I’ve never seen so many police since we moved here, I realise it’s necessary for them to make these patrols at the moment to deter people from taking unnecessary journeys, but while they are doing that who is responding to the usual day to day crimes? I can’t imagine criminal activity has ceased just because of the lockdown. 
    I notice you said you couldn’t go out for a run on Tuesday because you used your one permitted outing to go shopping instead. I know there are only four reasons why we are allowed to leave our houses, but I didn’t think they were ‘either or” situations. For instance if you needed to shop on Monday, then you had a hospital appointment on Tuesday does that mean you can’t exercise until Wednesday? My understanding was you can exercise every day, and in fact the government seems to be encouraging us to do so, but you can also go out if any of the other three reasons apply. If that isn’t the case then presumably a key worker going into work every day isn’t allowed to exercise, either before or after work, which seems rather unfair. 
    Our garden waste collection was supposed to start next Thursday, having been postponed for a number of weeks, but this morning I had an email from the council to say they were changing our collection day and would be starting a week later. This is so they can coordinate the available staff and make the best use of them to cover waste, recycling and garden collections. I’m just glad they can still fit in the garden collections as I was half expecting them to be cancelled altogether.
    Another great 5k time from you yesterday, I hope you realise you are building up our expectations for your virtual 5k challenge on Saturday. ;)

Damien: Rats? Oh dear, I knew I shouldn’t have asked.

WtnMel; haha I’d forgotten just how blue you were. Probably a good idea to crop that photo where you did.
    Well done for getting on with painting jobs while the weather is so good, I believe rain is forecast for next week, so you timed it well. I’ve noticed lots of people are taking advantage of this unexpected “leisure time’ to get on with jobs they’ve been putting off. 
    i agree about the standard of the winning team on University Challenge, even the opposing team was applauding them at times. I wonder if they will stay in this country or take employment abroad? 
    Sometimes running is easier than gardening.

Molly: As WtnMel says sometimes life gets in the way of other things, such as posting on here, but if it meant you hit your deadline it was worth missing a few days. Most of us on the forum have the luxury of being retired, so we don’t have to worry about work commitments, which of course take precedence.
    Two weeks should give Brian’s doctors a good idea of what is going on with his heart. From what Steve was told it can take up to three months for the heart to settle down after ablation, so with luck the odd episode Brian has experienced may not be important. It’s good that his heart rate was low during his walk, perhaps things are starting to settle down.
    In the UK we’ve also been advised about the possibility of cats and dogs transmitting the virus through having their fur stroked by infected people. The virus stays on the fur and can be passed on to anyone else who comes into contact with them. I think this applies mainly to cats as they can wander about over quite a large area before returning home, and the owner has no idea who they may have come into contact with.
    Your marathon sounds like it will be pretty tough, with a lot of climbing, but I’m sure your training programme will get you there with a good level of fitness. Well done for getting week one over.

We went for a 3 mile walk yesterday, as Steve is still struggling with hip/leg/buttock pain and so has put a temporary halt on the couch to 5k programme. As it was a sunny day we came across a number of other people and I was disappointed to see that cars are returning to the car parks along the Derwent Walk. At the one nearest to where we live the police have put up a notice telling people they shouldn’t be driving there to exercise or walk their dog and they should leave the area immediately. This seemed to be working for a week or so, but now people are obviously ignoring it. Not only that but we were passed by a group of teenagers who couldn’t all have been from the same household, along with a number of dogs, and no attempt was made to move to one side of the track, so Steve and I ended up climbing up a steep grassy bank to avoid them. It’s little things like that which takes the shine off any enjoyment you may be getting from being outdoors. 
    As I type this I’m trying to persuade myself to go for a run. I should have done as I’d intended, and gone out early this morning before breakfast, but I was too tired when I woke up and now it’s hard to summon up the enthusiasm because it’s another sunny day, and I know there will be a number of people out on my route. I think instead we might go out for a walk, and try a different route this time.