New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - according to a news report I saw, crime has decreased due to the lockdown, but not dramatically. I think you're correct re HS being allowed out on the same day for buying food, then out again later for his daily exercise. Good news your garden waste collections are being restarted .. ours are still stopped so the garden waste pile on our small vegetable plot is still growing bigger each week. Margaret showed me some scrapers she bought years ago which I wasn't aware we had and they use the same shape blades as my Stanley knife - I'd previously bought some spare blades so I was able to fit a new one and use the scraper to remove the excess paint from the front door this morning. I've noticed several neighbours busy doing jobs around the house too with their unexpected leisure time. As you say, shame that some people are getting blasé and driving to exercise when they shouldn't be. I see you met some teenagers who were a pain in the arse and didn't make room for anyone else - now there's a surprise! 

Margaret had been out for her walk and was back having her breakfast before I surfaced this morning. I was feeling a bit worn out after the two days clambering around painting the front door and cutting the lawns. I hopped on the treadmill for my #notpub2pub run after breakfast and managed a decent pace (9:54mm) while I was running. But I had 'heavy' legs before I started and packed in the run after only 3 miles (instead of the planned 5).

• Good afternoon everyone, 

Aquarius, I'm not sure of the title of my Hendrix LP. It's in the loft with all my other LP's. I've got a box set of 3 Hendrix CD's and neither of those tracks are on them.

Our police station in the village was closed about 3 years ago, and the property has been purchased by McCarthy & Stone. It's all boarded up at present, and has been for over a year. I don't suppose any time soon work with commence in the present climate. Another retirement home for wealthy pensioners which was being being constructed for Churchill's has stopped work. 

Since the station was closed, we never saw any police, except those in cars. They have now miraculously appeared from somewhere. Makes me think of Theresa Mays infamous statement "We don't have a magic money tree!" Plenty of money now, same as plenty of police. I've seen the policewoman on horseback several times on the local roads, but can't see the point.We are off the beaten track, so non essential drivers are unlikely to venture down our streets.

You are probably correct that we can exercise and also do essential shopping on the same day. I use it as an excuse to have a rest day from running. I shop twice a week, so I am able to run for 5 days, which suits me.

It's definitely good news that garden waste will be collected again. The bin men are still working and picked up the sacks on Wednesday, as usual.  They have, however, stopped the monthly glass collections.

I'll do my best on Saturday to get a higher WAVA.

Sorry to hear that Steve is still struggling with pains which have put a stop to his couch to 5k programme. Unfortunately more people are starting to ignore the "only to leave home for the listed essential reasons." There are definitely more cars on the roads, and I noticed this morning that there were a lot of cars parked across the road from an entrance into the forest. It's selfish, ignorant people like that, who could force the government to stop us going out for exercise such as running, cycling, dog walking etc.

I hope you managed to get out for a run or walk this afternoon?

WtnMel, yes I think Aquarius is correct in her assumptions. I've probably used it as an excuse for not running on shopping days.

I've found most people have been very thankful when I've made a wide detour whilst running towards them. There are some though that don't show any appreciation, when I've run on the road, to avoid them walking on the pavement. I call it ignorance. If anyone moves to the side for me, I inevitably thank them, and they respond accordingly. I see that you've also noticed people and drivers ignoring the instructions. They are really selfish, and as I said previously, will probably lead to more stringent constraints.

You did well  running on the treadmill after all your hard work.

I ran 6.5 miles this morning in the lovely sunshine, mainly in the forest.
  • Hey
    Is everyone well?
    I did my 10k this morning up and down the prom and it was amazing in the sun with 8mph winds. I got home and the wife informed me that I was covered in flies stuck to the sweat streaming out of my head and neck lol.
    Since lockdown and me being off work I have run 140km. I am well chuffed about that and I'm hoping I get another 2 weeks off so that I can reach 200k.

• Good morning all,

Damien, well done with your mileage. Being off work is a bonus in respect of enabling you to run more often.

Another bright and sunny morning, and I have been shopping. Going twice a week, I seem to be spending a lot more than when I was able to go daily.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

Damien: that’s a very impressive running streak, long may it last! I used to live at the coast and often ran along the promenade early in the morning before work and watched the sun rise over the sea. Happy memories.

HS: I’ve also found I spend more now I’m not shopping every day. We now get a home delivery once a week, and seem to be spending a fortune on it, although we don’t appear to be buying more than usual.
    That sounded like a nice run yesterday in the sunshine. Good luck for tomorrow’s 5k.
    Yes we did go out for a walk yesterday, bouncing about from one side of the road to the other to avoid people, then just as we got near home and finished our walk via the Derwent Way we found our way blocked by two elderly couples standing on either side of the track, just about maintaining the correct distance, but without any room for us to pass. We had to hang back until they’d finished their conversation and continued on their respective ways. In the meantime some cyclists came along and a couple of dog walkers, so there was quite a queue building up.

I got out for my run early this morning and found it pretty chilly and frosty, my face was numb with the cold after just a few minutes, hard to believe now as the sun has come out and it’s really warm. I repeated the same run I did last week which caused my knee to ache. I found just as before my knee started to ache after about two miles, it was on and off, and didn’t really become a problem, but it’s odd that I don’t notice any pain doing hills or sprints, just when I run along this particular route. It’s slightly downhill on the outward leg and therefore slightly uphill on the return, with a handful of small hills and descents. The only thing I can think of that may be causing the problem is the surface I’m running on. As I’ve said before it’s an old railway track which has a tarmac surface in parts that has worn away leaving potholes and a lot of loose gravel, elsewhere it’s mainly gravel with a light coating of twigs and leaves. As a result you can skid and slide a bit and maybe this is the reason I find it hard on my knees at times. 
    I was reflecting as I ran that there have been some good things to come out of this lockdown - our running club has advised they are reducing our membership fees this year by 25% due to the current situation. Our car insurer, Admiral, has emailed to say they are applying a £25 discount to our policy for each car we have insured with them. BT Sports have also agreed to give us a monthly refund on our BT Sports subscription from now until live sports action resumes. 
    Another bonus is that there are a lot less cars on the roads than normal. Also I’ve noticed when I’m running along the Derwent Walk that there's more wild life about than usual. I’ve seen deer, countless families of rabbits and there’s been a lot more birds swooping around and competing in song than normal, it’s as if the wild life feel safe to come out and show themselves.  About a week ago I spotted what I think may have been a vole and we’ve even found a newt in our garden - heaven knows where that came from, when we saw him he was emerging from a hole in the soil under our hedge, but I don’t think he would be living there. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

HS - my version of "All Along The Watchtower" is on the "Electric Ladyland" lp (mine's an early copy with the naked ladies cover which was subsequently changed to something less outrageous!). I agree with your comments about the magic money tree which has been found again and is proving very abundant lately. We haven't seen any police around either - just the occasional ambulance flying past with blue lights flashing. Well done re your 6.5ml run yesterday.

Damien - I had to chuckle at your arriving back home with flies stuck to your sweaty head and neck. My brother-in-law is happy - he's been told he has had his furlough extended until the end of May.

Aquarius - sorry, had to smile at your being 'trapped' with those old people maintaining their distance but there not being room for you to get past .. and presumably not noticing the 'traffic jam' of walkers, cyclists etc. building up! Well done re your early run - sorry to hear your knee was achey again but, like you, can only guess why that particular route might cause problems. I've not had anyone email me with any savings for stuff like insurance etc. Nice to be seeing more wildlife than usual.

We had a Skype chat with our friends Alan & Diana this morning. They ordered some food via click & collect and drove down the M4 to pick it up. Alan said on the way home between J16 & J17 (around 10 miles) he passed 6 articulated lorries, saw one other car which overtook him - and passed a police car perched on one of those ramps above the hard shoulder - presumably monitoring things?

My running club has some mental health 'champions' who normally organise 'run and talk' sessions where people are invited to speak about anything bothering them. Those have had to be cancelled for now so instead, the club is having a 'move and post' week where you're invited to 'move' as much or as little as you like then 'post' on the club's Facebook page and share what you've been up to. I just posted a selfie of me in the front garden with the large bucketful of weeds I'd dug up - and then a photo of the cup of tea and biscuit I was enjoying afterwards :)

Planning to run again on Sunday - and despite the warm weather, I'll probably have my 'usual' pre-run porridge courtesy of Margaret.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Speaking of wildlife, the local squirrel was being very accommodating this morning and 'posed' for me while it was busy searching for nuts it had buried in the autumn ..

• Good Afternoon All,

WtnMel, What can I say, you can certainly rock B1 blue! Until I saw the photo, I had absolutely no memory of what the Tunick Hull photo shoot was about. Then, as soon as I saw the photo, I remembered. It got some press coverage over here, and I remember being really impressed by the photos. How neat that you were able to participate.  

Great job on your door. We're you doing a lot of squatting, while painting the bottom portion of the door? (After the Tunick photo, I'm a little wary of asking about 'painting the bottom' without specifying 'door').  If so, maybe your legs were tired from that? Are they feeling any less tired?

Great photo of the squirrel.  I really do love to watch the squirrels that run up and down the tree outside of our living room, but they drive my husband nuts.  The tree lets them access the roof, and he's worried about them getting into the walls and chewing on the wiring.

HS, The other day there was an article in one of our papers explaining that our animals can get covid-19 from us, though they say that the animals can't pass it back to us.  Apparently, some pet owners are being more careful of their pets, not to protect other people, but to protect the pets.  While I agree with protecting our pets, something just seems a little twisted about that being the main reason to control your animal.

Great job on your warm up 5k! I'm sure that Saturday's Wava will be excellent :smiley:  

We are having the same problem with more people out and about around here. Because we are a coastal town, there are a number of seasonal residents that are trying to return and the coastal towns are trying to discourage them.  One of the towns, about 20 minutes from us, is refusing to turn on the water for the seasonal residences.  

I quite enjoyed listening to music while I was riding on the bike! I listened to some old Traffic and Doors albums and had a little nostalgia party while I pedaled. Thank you for the suggestion :smile:

Aquarius, How frustrating for Steve to be coping with pain just when he was starting to exercise again.  I do hope that he isn't too down about it.

I really don't understand what people are thinking sometimes.  If everyone would just bite the bullet and follow the program for a few weeks, we might have a chance of getting on top of the virus.  But, those people who are messing around with the guidelines are just prolonging this nightmare.  And, then, of course, there's our brilliant president who is suggesting that people inject disinfectant, because...you know...he's a massive idiot.

I think that you might be onto something about the gravel causing your knee pain.  There was a path that I used to run on when we lived in Maine that had a section of loose gravel and it often left my ankles and knees sore.  That was a smart observation on your part.

I agree that there are some good things to come out of the lockdown. I enjoy the slower pace of life. And, it's nice to have both Brian and myself working from home.  However, I would really enjoy going out to eat :smiley:

Damien Nagle, What? No picture of the flies? I hope your wife clicks a quick photo for you to share next time. That sounds like a pretty funny scene.

Great job on your running streak!  My fingers are crossed that you make it to 200K!

This morning I started week 2 of training with an easy 4 mile run.  Combining work with training is always a bit of a balance. At the moment, I'm a little tired, but I should be all caught up again with work in a few weeks and, then, I'll be able to get a little more rested.  

• I'm back in work on Friday so I won't get that 200 
    :/

Aquarius, thanks for your good luck wishes for my 5k, it went really well, details below.

Elderly people have no idea, do they, in their own little worlds. Says me aged 74!

It certainly seems like the undulating nature of the terrain is what is causing problems to your knees.

I agree that there are certain benefits from this lock down. Our running club has waived membership fees completely, just taking fees for England Athletics for those of us that are members. Unfortunately though, cars are beginning to appear on the roads again, as people are starting to ignore the instructions that only essential journeys are allowed. Strangely there doesn't seem to be any increase in wild life in the forest, except for the ponies and dreaded white cows with horns. Karen narrowly avoided being chased by some yesterday.

WtnMel, my Hendrix LP is in the loft with the others, but it didn't have the naked ladies cover, as I would have remembered that. I've got the Queen "Fat Bottom Girls" LP with the girls sat on cycles which is also in the loft!

That's a good idea of your club's to have "a move and post week."

Hope you have a good run on Sunday. I have porridge every other day throughout the year. I have cereal on the in between days.

I like the photo of the squirrel. Shame it wasn't a red one though. We have plenty of greys round my way, but unfortunately, no reds.

Molly, I had the impression that the dog owners were more concerned about the welfare of their pets, than people that their dogs may be attacking.

Todays WAVA was excellent, details below.

I'm interested in your choice of music. Traffic featured Stevie Winwood, if I remember rightly, and I am a great fan of the Doors. I was wondering if you also like The Byrds. I saw them once when they came to England at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm. I was with a friend who was a keen photographer, and we got in making out that we were members of the press. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost the black and white photos that he took.

Your President is unbelievable, and probably unstable. It's frightening really to think that he is the most powerful man in the world. Our PM is apparently starting work again on Monday, so it will be interesting to see whether he will release any details of of the plans, if any , to gradually ease the lock down.

A good idea starting week 2 of your training programme with an easy 4 mile run. I hope you are able to fit your training in with your work schedule.

This mornings solo 5k challenge went really well and better than expected. I ran it in 27.12 which is an average pace of 8.46 minute miling, and a WAVA of 68.51% I need to improve by about 34 seconds to up it to 70%
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Molly - as I was leaving the Sea Of Hull photoshoot, one of the stewards had some left over body paint so I got to take home two tubs of B1. When we do the North East Skinny Dip each September (not been cancelled this year yet - still waiting to hear) I take some bodypaint with me and dab some on my cheeks .. I always get people coming up to me saying "B1!!" :) There was a lot of squatting and kneeling while painting the front door as well as plenty of bending and stretching .. I'm sure that's what caused my 'heavy' legs on Thursday. Luckily, we don't have any problems with the squirrels getting onto our house. I'd forgotten all about Traffic and The Doors .. I have the Byrds "Untitled" album with the 20 minute version of "Eight Miles High" which I love. Your President is a Covidiot .. though apparently, he claims he was being sarcastic with his comment about injecting disinfectant. Personally, now he's claimed that statement was a joke I hope his supporters will assume he's been forced to say that because it's a deep state conspiracy (or something or other) and they'll try it anyway, because, you know, Trump says you should so it must be okay! Then maybe there'll be less of those idiots around to vote for him. Must say, one of the things we're missing is being able to eat out now and again.

Damien - shame you've got to go back to work :(

HS - no red squirrels around here unfortunately .. the only time I've seen one was when I was in the Lake District. C'mon now - Trump has already told us he's a very stable genius so it must be true ;) I have my doubts Boris will release any details of his plans when he returns to work - primarily, because I doubt he has any! Well done re that 5K time and WAVA - really good going.

Wasn't sure what I'd get up to today but after breakfast, decided to do some weeding in the front garden. One of my clubmates passed by towards the end of a 10ml run and stopped to chat (6ft away!) for a couple of minutes. This afternoon I 'bit the bullet' and started working my way through the huge pile of paper to be shredded .. I've filled up a dustbin liner without any problem!

Planning to run in the morning ..

• Just dropped in to say "The Byrds" are on "Sounds of the Sixties" at 8PM on "Yesterday."
  • Damien NagleDamien Nagle ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I did a good run this morning. Only had a few flies as you can see.

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

HS: That was an excellent 5k, you must be delighted with that run, and a great WAVA too - so close to 70%. Isn’t that County standard? I’m sure you will hit 70% soon as you are running really well at the moment. 
    Yesterday Steve and I went for a walk and noticed lots more cars on the road than of late. They tended to be driven by young lads, and were going much too fast. Delivery vans are also another speeding hazard to beware of at the moment, particularly when you need to walk into the road to avoid oncoming pedestrians. We found we were doing that quite a lot yesterday as the sun had brought a lot of people out. We found older people generally tried to maintain social distancing, just as we did, but teenagers and 20 somethings were happy to walk straight towards us, forcing us to walk in the road or cross over. We don’t have very wide footpaths here, and often none at all where there’s little housing, so we did quite a lot of walking on the road while trying to avoid speeding traffic. 
    When I got back from my run on Friday morning I heard the radio 4 presenter reporting on the Trump press conference and she referred to an “outlandish moment” then played the clip of Trump’s suggestion of injecting disinfectant. It certainly gave me a good laugh, it’s almost unbelievable that he is in charge of America. Every time he opens his mouth I feel really sorry for the American public, they must be so embarrassed to have the office of President devalued in this way. I thought Boris was bad enough, but I don’t think he’s quite that stupid (yet).

I’m a big porridge fan too, with berries most days. 

WtnMel: Great photo of the squirrel, I usually find by the time I’ve got my phone out the wildlife I’m trying to capture hops/runs/flies off just as I’m pressing the camera button.
    It’s surprising how everyday jobs can leave us with aches and pains all over, I have no doubt your painting session caused your heavy legs. When concentrating on a job like that it’s easy to forget to straighten up from time to time, putting quite a strain on your back and legs. I hope you remembered to straighten up and stretch while you were doing your shredding.
    When is your Druridge Bay skinny dip scheduled for? I suppose as long as you all keep 2 metres apart it could still go ahead, although maybe the restriction on unnecessary travel would scupper the event anyway. I know lots of sporting events later this summer still haven’t been cancelled yet, but I think it’s only a matter of time. I had an email recently from England Athletics advising me that the Anniversary Games in London was still scheduled to take place as was the Diamond League meeting at Gateshead, both of which we have tickets for. I actually hope they will be cancelled as I don’t think I’d feel comfortable attending either one (July and August). I really think the rest of this year’s sporting activities should be cancelled completely, and see where we are after that. 

Damien: shame about having to return to work. Great photo though, I can see those pesky flies!

Molly: I love to see squirrels too, but they are a bit naughty. Our local ones have learned how to remove the bird feeder from the fence and even how to take the top off it to get to the nuts and seeds inside. They don’t seem to have any fear and I can imagine they would indeed try to gain access to your house if they could.
    Yes, I think it’s possible that gravelly surface could be causing my knee problem, I just don’t understand why it’s only happening now, and hasn’t been a problem over the last 3 years that I’ve lived here and used that route. Perhaps it’s a combination of the uneven surface and my starting to do yoga again. I think I started to notice my knee getting stiff and painful shortly after starting to do yoga regularly again. Maybe running itself was okay, but once I added in yoga and circuits the imbalance between my right and left leg lengths caused a strain or overuse of some muscles and tendons around the right knee. I’ll keep on with the stretches I’ve been given and see how it goes. It’s so frustrating not to be able to see my physio face to face and get a proper examination and diagnosis, but it is what it is. 
    I can imagine it must be tiring and difficult too to find the right balance between work and training for a marathon. Don’t feel obliged to post on here if you are short of time, just update us with your progress as and when you can. We’ll all be keeping fingers crossed for your training to progress on target and injury free. 
    I often day dream about going out for a meal, heaven knows when we’ll be able to do that again.

Runningfox: I see from your blog that your local hospital have got their eye appointments well organised. It must have been very reassuring for you, although the experience itself sounds painful and very unpleasant, but at least it's over again for a while. Lovely photos along your running route, as always. I was very pleased to read your upbeat last sentence "How can I ever stop running?" I hope you never do. Happy 88th birthday for next week, I don't know the exact date so I'll raise a glass to you midweek, and hope that'll be near enough! :)

I did my hill repeats again today, but my legs were a bit tired from yesterday’s circuits (and 4 mile walk with Steve) so my times were much the same as last week, still, it’s another session under the belt as they say. Steve and I have been suffering quite a bit lately with tree pollen, I’ll be glad to see a bit of rain as the pollen levels usually drop a bit then.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - the "Sounds Of The Sixties" programme was mentioned in Radio Times so I added that to my list of recordings and should have it stored on the hard drive ready to watch. 

Damien - so you can't say "no flies on me" then? :)

Aquarius - I've noticed more and more cars on the road outside our house, along with some obviously breaking the speed limit. If it wasn't deemed as non-essential travel I'd probably be driving around our village at 30mph to slow all the b*****s down! :) I see Trump now claims his injecting disinfectant idea was him being sarcastic towards the press - yes, okay Donald, whatever you say (a bit like people who are accused of being racist etc. and then claiming it was just banter). Margaret said she had tried photographing the squirrel with her phone but couldn't get close enough - I had time to run upstairs and get my digital SLR and used the telephoto lens for that photo. The Druridge skinny-dip is scheduled for 20th Sep but I think it's just a matter of time before it has to be cancelled. Even if they allowed travel, social distancing wouldn't work. Last year there were 720 of us which would mean a line of dippers almost 1500 metres long ;) I did have to stretch after my shredding session and when I've been out weeding the borders, I've been having to stand and stretch regularly to give my knees a break. Re your knee problems - as you say, very frustrating not to be able to see the physio face-to-face to get a proper diagnosis. Well done re the hill repeats. Margaret has been suffering with the tree pollen as well and has been praying for some rain (she hasn't resorted to doing a rain dance on the back lawn just yet).

I was very pleased with this morning's treadmill run. I managed 5mls and gradually 'wound it up' as I ran. For the stattos amongst you .. my mile splits were 10:16 10:00 9:14 9:14 8:55 9 which worked out to an avg pace of 9:33mm and according to Fetch, a WAVA score of 59.69 - I think that might be up there with some of my best other WAVA scores as my best race was a 10K I did in 2016 in 60:42 which gave me a WAVA score of 57.00

WtnMel, I like 8 miles high by the Byrds, I think that it is one of their most commercial songs. 

When I lived in Surbiton, there were red squirrels in the bird sanctuary. That was very many years ago, so I'm sure that there won't be any there now. The bird sanctuary probably isn't there now either.

You must have a lot of patience to do that much shredding. I find that I have to keep reversing mine as the paper keeps clogging the blades.

The Byrds were the last act on that show.

Well done for this mornings treadmill session. I do hope that your treadmill pace transfers to road and off road running.

Damien, looks like you must have outrun the flies this morning, as I can only see two. There aren't so many insects around these days. I can remember in years gone by, returning home after a run with flies round my eyes like a pair of glasses. Also, cars windscreens used to be plastered with flies,but don't seem to get any now.

Aquarius, thanks, I was very pleased with my 5k run. 70% is County, or regional standard, and 80% is National  standard. 90% is world class level, and 100% world record level. Jane is now regularly running 80%+  in her solo 5k runs, so is the fastest runner, age related in our club.

I noticed like you did that there were more cars on the roads today, and definitely a lot more dog walkers in the forest. More than pre pandemic , so I'm sure that most of them were drivers that shouldn't have been there. The forest car parks are closed,  so most were parked illegally, either on the grass verges, or blocking the locked gates, despite the warning signs that parking in front of them was illegal. I hope the police acted and issued fines. These cars are spoiling the forest.

I agree that all sporting activities should be cancelled for the rest of the year. The London Marathon has been postponed until October, but I can't see how it could possibly be viable. Thousands of runners, plus all the marshalls, drinks stations, travellers on train, tubes and buses etc. 

Well done for your hill reps. and I'm not surprised your legs were tired after yesterdays circuits and 4 mile walk. Hope the level of pollen drops so that you don't suffer as much.

I ran 7 miles this morning, on legs that were feeling heavy after yesterdays 5k. As I said previously, there were more dog walkers in the forest than usual, but they all had control of their dogs, and were appreciative when I ran very wide of them.

Sarah H, called round just now with a pile of runners world magazines from 2016 and 2017, and a whole load of CD's. She will take back those that I don't want. I had a nice chat with her in the front garden and me indoors,  talking through the window.
  • Good Afternoon Everyone,

Damien Nagle, Lousy break on getting called back to work before you could reach your 200K. 

Great picture!  It reminds me of a song I once heard with the refrain 'sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug'.  You are clearly the windshield :smile:

HS, Yes, Traffic was formed by Steve Winwood.  When I was growing up my father listened to a lot of the late 60' to early 70's music, and I inherited a lot of his music collection. I still have the albums and the record player :smile:  I keep meaning to move all of it into my studio so I can listen to the albums while I work, but I never seem to have time or energy. Sadly, I'm not terribly familiar with The Byrds.  Now, I'm curious. I'll see if my husband has any of their music.

Excellent job on your solo 5K! How exciting to hit such excellent splits :smiley: I definitely see a %70 wava in your near future.

WtnMel, Okay, I need to find The Byrds 8 mile high. It rings absolutely no bells for me.  

Our Moron-In-Chief was absolutely not being sarcastic when he made those comments. My husband and I saw the clip from briefing.  It was really unnerving.

At this point, my Brian and I are assuming that all fall events are going to be cancelled, including my marathon. We talked about it this morning and I am still going to go ahead with the training and run the route by myself if I have to, with Brian driving a support car.  It seems like a lot of things are going to be changing. Brian's company is considering making working from home the status quo.  This is a pretty big decision, as it is a global company with offices in many countries.  Of course, it's a tech company so their work lends itself to being online.  And, the galleries that I work with have closed their doors for the foreseeable future and are holding their shows online.  A format that I am not thrilled about, and I can't see how it is going to work.  

You are a treadmill demon! Well Done! I'm glad that your legs are over their heaviness.  

Aquarius, It does seem as though trying to get a musculoskeletal diagnosis online is anything but ideal.  Is their something other than yoga that you can do for cross training/stretching that might be easier on your knee?  You've been running so well, it would be really frustrating to be sidelined.

I expect that my work schedule will ease up in a couple weeks.  I have some samples of my work to finish that are due on the first of May. However, the samples are going to be a week or 2 late, which turns out to be fine. Apparently, a lot of samples are coming in so late that mine will be comparatively early. However, the samples are in addition to another project, so I've been working on two projects at once, which is what is causing the time issue. Once the samples are done, I'll be down to one project, and life and training will feel much more manageable.  Also, I'll be able to sleep past 5 am and maybe go back to doing my daily crosswords :smile:

We're starting to get tree pollen here, as well. I noticed yesterday that one of the porch windows was turning yellow.  Allergies definitely do not increase the quality of life.

Good for you for getting out for your hill repeats.  The fact that you were able to maintain the same pace after the circuits and walk, seems to me to be a very good sign. You are getting strong!

My nails are a lovely deep blue today from dyeing some fibers in indigo. I look very trendy :smile:

Yesterday was planned as a bike/cross training day, but after a couple of hours of yard work, I decided I didn't really need the bike.  Today was a 30 minute progression run, which went okay.  I'm just tired, and a little unmotivated right now. But, I know that if I don't stick with the training schedule, now, I'll regret it down the road.    

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - more a case of grin and bear it with the shredding .. it has to be done and it won't do itself. I watched three "Sounds of the Sixties" programmes and I remember my dad laughing at Freddie and the Dreamers antics. But I wonder how long they (and the other groups 'dancing' in sync like the Shadows and Dave Clark Five) carried on 'dancing' until they decided maybe it wasn't needed? Well done re yesterday's 7ml run and I hope you enjoy working your way through those RW magazines and cd's. 

Molly - I still have all my lp's in the loft but I discarded my record player last year. One of my 'jobs' is to decide what cd's to buy to replace the lp's I have before I see if I can sell them all. Yes, you definitely need to look for Eight Miles High and have a listen. I now have a vision of Brian in the car with a megaphone urging you on doing your solo marathon if it comes to that. Re Brian's company making working from home the norm, I think that will happen with a lot of companies who previously would have said it couldn't work. Fingers crossed you get that project finished and life returns to normal (including lie-ins in the morning!)

I did a spot of gardening this morning. We re-modelled the patch of garden in front of our living room window and planted lots of grasses. One of them has been growing extremely well, so much so that it was taking over and swamping others nearby. So I dug it up, chopped off around one third and re-planted that bit back where it had come from (the remainder has gone into the garden-waste bin). 

This afternoon I've been working on the end-of-year report for my swimming club's accounts. I'm the new Treasurer and took over in Jun last year (once the initial spate of members renewing their subscriptions had finished). The stumbling block has been the amount we paid out to hire the local pool and how much we got back in income. Although I've got all the paperwork for last year, I've not been able to see how the previous Treasurer arrived at the figures for the 2018-19 income and expenditure he reported at last year's AGM. So I've had to contact him to ask him to phone me so we can discuss it. Hopefully he'll remember - otherwise I'll have to carry on ploughing through the paperwork to get things to tally :( 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

Good news - I managed a 3.14ml 'rolling hills' run on my treadmill earlier this morning (between 2-6% incline and at 5.5mph) in 34m 40s

Bad news - the treadmill has developed a fault and I don't think it's useable any more at the moment.

I was planning to run for 45 mins but I had to cut the run short when the treadmill started making a strange 'knocking' noise. After I had stopped I inspected it and the rubber running belt had a piece that had broken away and was knocking against the motor cover. It is around 10 years old so I figure the rubber running belt is disintegrating due to its age and I'll have to see if I can get a replacement and if so, how much. Having done a very quick search (will need to do a more detailed one), it doesn't look too complicated a job to replace. So it will basically boil down to how much a replacement belt will cost.

In the meantime, I may have to set an alarm and get out running early before there are too many people around so I don't spend the whole time dodging other pedestrians and runners.
  • Good morning everyone,

Molly, I'm surprised that you are not familiar with The Byrds, as they were "as big" as the Doors. Perhaps they weren't one of your fathers favourite bands?

I was very pleased with Saturday's 5k, which was quicker than expected.

Your President certainly does seem to be unhinged, as he can't see why he is being criticised. He is one of those people "that are always right."

It's good that you intend carrying on with your marathon training, and that you will still run it if it is cancelled, with your husband following in the car.

It seems that more and more people are now working from home, and I really do think that when the pandemic is finally over, this will continue. I can't see the necessity for workers to travel miles to meetings etc. when they can be conducted on line, as they are now. I'm thinking that our Government may start to think whether it makes sense spending billions of pounds on the proposed high speed rail link, which won't seem to be so essential in the changed circumstances.

We all lose our motivation from tine to time, so you are not the only one.

WtnMel, I believe The Shadows were the first band to introduce sync dancing, and others copied. Cliff Richard (Harry Web) was an embarrassment with his moves, and seemed to have odd legs. 

I've scanned through quite a few of the magazines so far which I have read  before. Sarah will take them back, so that I won't have to dispose of them.  I haven't looked at them all though, so I may keep some. There were two carrier bags of CD's and I have sorted them into those I want, and those I don't. It worked our more or less 50/50, so she will take one carrier bag of CD's back. I'm not sure where I will keep them, as my racks are already full.

I see you have been busy in the garden again, and always seem to have some project or other  on the go.

I took a lot of LP's to Oxfam that I no longer wanted, and noticed that  one or two were for sale at £30 or more. Perhaps rarities and therefore very collectable.

On the subject of Accounts, I could never see how the previous running club Treasurer balanced the books, despite me being an Auditor for a couple of years.The new club Treasurer is a qualified accountant so I'm sure the accounts will be easier to understand.

Had a good shopping experience this morning, no queue, so was able to enter the store right away. I got everything I needed, filling 3 shopping bags. I went to my local supermarket, and not during the OAP hourly slot, so was surprised how quiet it was. I always walk there as it is only about 1/3 mile away, and good exercise. Walking back with 3 heavy bags was torture, two in one hand and one in the other. I had to stop now and again to rest my arms. It reminded me of The Worlds Strongest Man competition, where they walk carrying heavy weights in each hand. I just got home in time before the heavy rain started.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

HS: on the subject of The Byrds my favourites were "Mr Tamborine Man” and “All I Really Want To Do". Does anyone remember Buffalo Springfield? “For What It’s Worth” is probably their best known track and one I still listen to.
    Back to running - thanks for confirming what the WAVA percentages relate to, Jane must be a very good runner to be regularly hitting 80% in her solo runs. 
    How selfish and inconsiderate those car owners must be. There’s always someone who thinks the rules don’t apply to them, don’t they realise we would all like to go back to life as it used to be but as long as there are idiots like that around spreading the virus the longer it’s going to take. 
    On the subject of insects, I have a bright yellow running top I wear sometimes and I find it acts like a magnet to insects, but only at certain times of the year.
    Did you see Sunday’s programme about the first London Marathon? I’ve recorded it but only watched about 10 minutes so far. The start was a bit of a surprise, the photographers standing a little way in front of the runners had to sprint out of the way when the race started, they mustn’t have realised how fast the elites would start. It all looked a bit amateurish, much more organised these days fortunately.
    Well done for managing 7 miles on heavy legs.

WtnMel: Your treadmill work is definitely paying off, they were really good splits on Sunday’s 5 miler. 
    It would be a shame if they cancelled the Druridge skinny dip, but if it can’t take place in September I doubt they could hold it any later, if they did none of you would need paint then to be blue. Brrrr. :p
    I sympathise with Margaret, I’m also hoping for rain so the tree pollen is dampened down, however once the tree pollen season is over we’ve the grass pollen season to look forward to!
    I’d forgotten about the groups like the Shadows dancing in sync, I used to wonder how they remembered the steps as well as the music, I’d only be able to manage one or the other.
    I hope you managed to get the swimming club accounts sorted out, it must be difficult following on from someone else and trying to work out what they’ve done. 

Molly: Are your nails still blue? I think there are times when we can all relate to that refrain “sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug”
    I think you are wise to have a Plan B if Plan A (your marathon) is cancelled. I wonder if lots of other marathon runners will have the same plan, it might be an idea to do your solo run on a day earlier or later in case the roads are busy with other runners and their support vehicles.
    I agree it’s hard to see how online gallery exhibitions will work for the exhibitors. I don’t think Brian’s company will be alone in making home working the norm in the future. I know it doesn’t work for all jobs, but any employer who can save on the cost of premises, business rates, heating and lighting costs etc would be mad not to consider it once the lockdown is over, even if just as a temporary measure until the business is back on its feet again financially. 
    It sounds like your work is keeping you very busy at the moment, I hope once you get those samples ready you can ease up a bit. Too many 5 am starts plus marathon training will inevitably catch up with you in time. I’m a big crossword fan and start my day with a cup of tea and a crossword while Steve is showering, best part of the day! :)
    Well done for sticking to your 30 min training run even though you were tired, is today a rest day?

I did my interval session this morning, 5 sets of 300m with walk recoveries in-between and a cool down jog to finish. It was a bit later when I got out this morning and I during my cool down I saw a pedestrian walking towards me, but keeping to the 2 metre distance, however just as I was passing him a runner who had been behind the pedestrian picked that moment to overtake him, meaning he had to run between us. He was panting heavily as he brushed past me. I was not happy!
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel and HS - whoops looks like our posts have crossed while I was typing mine. 
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
     WtnMel that was shaping up to be a good treadmill hill session, pity about the belt problem. Hopefully you'll be able to source a replacement soon, but in the meantime welcome to the ranks of the early morning people-dodging runners.  :)

HS: Good point about HS2, I hadn't thought of that, but with luck there will be neither the money nor the will to continue with that project.
    Before this pandemic we used to go to the local supermarket on foot most days and I remember having to keep swapping bags of shopping from one hand to another to try to ease the load. We haven't been out to the shops since mid March.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all, 
    An overcast day here, and quite chilly. I think rain is forecast later this afternoon. No running for me today, but we’re planning to go for a walk if the rain holds off. 
    Steve has just finished making some more bird seed cakes to hang in the garden and I’m finally getting started on that Latin course I mentioned. I’ve been meaning to start before now, but it’s a strange thing every time I think I’ve caught up on tasks and have a quiet day ahead I find I’m still managing to fill my day pottering about with something or other. So today I’ve made the effort to set aside an hour this morning to get started with my Cambridge Latin Course. It’s written for use in schools, so I’ll see how far I can get before it defeats me 😄
  • Damien NagleDamien Nagle ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The weather has cooled down and it made it easier to run this morning. I had a good run this morning without seeing many people on the prom.
    Someone has mown a large penis into the Fleetwood Mount grass.

• Good Morning Everyone,

WtnMel, Great job on your treadmill run! But, OH NO! Your poor treadmill.  If you figure out how to fix it yourself, I would be very interested in how you managed it, as mine is fairly old. 

My husband will absolutely not be allowed a bullhorn!  Especially if his buddy, who enjoys teasing me, decides to come along for the ride.  I have no doubt that the temptation of the bullhorn would prove too much for him, and would likely end with a DNF on my part and possible police intervention.  

Sadly, even in the early morning hours, our sidewalks are too narrow to accommodate both runners and the volume of people out walking, unless the runners or the walkers are willing to be constantly dashing into peoples yards and waiting the other to pass.  My neighbor is still going out in the early morning for her runs, but she has had several incidents of having to choose between jumping into the road or slowing to a walk until the next side street.  However, I may still give a super early morning run a try this weekend just for my sanity.

One of our decorative grass patches had to be partially dug up and cut back last year. It was quite a job digging it up.  My husband did most of the brute work, and I was very grateful for it.  That patch of grass was slowly annexing a large section of the garden plot.

HS, Once I started looking at the The Byrds' song list, I remembered the songs. But, I don't think my father was a fan of theirs. Or, at least he didn't have any of their albums.  

Were your arms sore after your trek back from the store?  I used to be much better about keep up my arm strength than I have been over the last few years. And, as I am now doing a lot of the lifting around the house, I am finding that a few more pushups might have come in handy.

Have you seen anymore of the wild animals pigs/horses/cows during your forest runs?

Aquarius, how exciting to be taking a Latin course.  Good for you! I Hope you keep us updated on how you go on :smiley:

Excellent job on your intervals! What a rude runner to go barreling past you like that. It's really hard to understand how people's minds work sometimes.

How has knee been feeling? Is there another path that you can run on that doesn't have the gravel?

My nails are still blue, but they are beginning to fade.  My guess is that they will be back to normal just about when I dye my next batch of fibers.  

Your suggestion of running the marathon route a day early, or a day later than the actual date, is a good one. The marathon generally pulls upwards of 5000 participants, so I'm sure that I'm not the only one planning on running it alone.

I love my crosswords! That little bit of satisfaction that comes every time a section gets filled in is a wonderful feeling :smile: I'm hoping to have the samples finished a week from today and mailed out on Friday next week.  At which point, life will get much better, and sleep and crossword puzzles will return. You are absolutely right. I can only maintain this schedule for so long before it will catch up to me.

Damien Nagle, I think I remember reading that a UK teen mowed a penis into a grass field as a form of protest against Trump when he visited. Is the new grass penis a protest?  Or just a form of organic graffiti?

I'm glad that the temperatures cooled down for you. I'd happily give you our cold temperatures in exchange for a little warmth.

• Organic graffiti.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - despite the 'common sense' of scrapping HS2, I can't see the govt cancelling the project. That's despite the fact it would be cheaper to rebuild Birmingham closer to London to shorten journey times. If they are going to spend money, it would make more sense to concentrate on the northern lines rather than starting at London. My cd's all went into the loft after I had 'ripped' the music from them and stored the mp3 files on my laptop to play using iTunes. The mp3 files for some cd's went astray when I transferred to my new laptop so I'll have to retrieve them from the loft sometime and rip the music again (haven't had the time or inclination to do that yet). Re the garden projects, I'm just the hired 'muscle' - Margaret is the one with the ideas. I want to see if any of my lp's are worth anything (some are 'classic' originals so I hope they might find a buyer) rather than just dump them all at a charity shop. Good that your shopping experience was positive. Go easy with carrying heavy shopping bags though - that's how I messed up my rotator cuff muscles.

Aquarius - I recorded the programme about the 1st London Marathon but haven't got round to watching it yet. The skinny-dip happens in late Sep because its always on the nearest Sunday morning to the Autumn Equinox - I know you won't ever partake but it is a lovely way to mark the turning of the year and when it's a clear morning, and with Druridge facing due East, its lovely to be there in the water as the sun rises over the sea. I've managed to speak to our previous Treasurer and now know how he arrived at the figures he published - the main problem was working out the cut-off dates for transactions that make up last year's figures. I've finished this year's reports now and next year will be much easier to produce now that I'm in control myself! Well done re that interval session - but boo to the dozy runner who wasn't watching or planning ahead and came too close to you - what a dickhead.

I checked the paperwork earlier and my friend who donated the treadmill to me, bought it in 2008. It looks like the supplier's of the treadmill have since ceased trading. But I've been able to find the website of the manufacturers and have sent them a message enquiring about whether spare parts are available and if so, what the cost would be. Hoping to hear back from them in the next few days.

I put my pinny on earlier, grabbed my tickling stick and dusted and hoovered the whole house. That's my x-training done for the day :) LOL

On a more serious note, had a rubbish night's sleep last night - didn't get to sleep until 1:30am. Hoping I'll be able to get off to sleep more easily tonight as the plan is to set the alarm for 5:30am and head out for a run first thing before there are too many (any?) other people out and about.

I'm losing track, so many posts, some over the page, so apologies for anything I I have missed.

Aquarius, I remember Buffalo Springfield, but not any songs. 

Yes, Jane is really super fast and it is a pity that there are no races in the near future that she can really push herself.

Well done for your interval training, and good luck with your Latin Course.

I did watch the 1981 London Marathon on Sunday, and it didn't look anywhere near as professional as nowadays. I  applied by ballot for that one and the following 2 years, without success, so I never bothered again. In those days, we had to post off our applications as soon as entries were open, and places were given to the first ones they opened. 

Molly,  I have the same problem with road running. I seem to be on the roads more than the pavements, stepping aside for walkers in both directions. There are certainly more walkers on the pavements than there were, and not all dog walkers either.

Glad you remembered some of the Byrds songs, but a shame that you don't have any of their albums/cd's.

My arms were aching from carrying those 3 bags , but thankfully that didn't last for very long. I have been doing press ups again lately and this probably helped. I try to do an extra one on each non running day. My last time I managed 17, so my target is 18 on Friday.

I didn't see any pigs at all this year, they must have been in different parts of the forest, because I know they were released earlier. I do see ponies and those horrible white cows with horns. I always give them a wide berth.

I note that you and Aquarius are keen crossword solvers. Do you do the cryptic or the concise?  When I was a teenager and living in Surbiton, I worked in London, in New Oxford Street and I attempted the Daily Telegraph crossword each morning on the train. I never got it all out though. Once, and once only, I completed the Sunday Observer cryptic crossword. Nowadays, I do the i concise crossword and quite often complete it.

WtnMel, you are probably correct about the Government proceeding with the HS2, although it makes no sense. Where is the money going to come from?

I burned most of my CD's onto my laptop on i Tunes and then onto my ipod shuffle. Now that I no longer have the shuffle, they are not much use on my laptop. Luckily, I still have the CD's, so can play them on my boom box and in the car. I think you might find buyers for your LP's on ebay, especially if you auction them.

I will try to avoid carrying such heavy shopping again, but as I wasn't running, I classed it as cross training.

Good luck with getting spare parts for your treadmill, and hopefully they won't be too expensive.

Reference your dusting and hoovering, it put me in mind of that Queen Video.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get much quality sleep last night, and hope that you have a better night tonight.

I did a steady 5 miles this morning, dodging on and off the pavement as I mentioned above.

Sarah has just been round to collect the CD's that I didn't want, and the RW magazines that I had already read. Luckily, I had last months magazine which she had been unable to buy, so she was very pleased that I was able to give it to her. The latest one is out now, so I will get it on Friday if Tesco have it in.