Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG: what sort of geeks stay up late at night debating how long recoveries a footballer took within his 5k  ;)

Good to see you fit again Simon and running well; at least one part of normality has returned!

Was TVXC virtual 5k today. Any course was deemed acceptable as long as net descent under 9m and chose one from Sunningdale station so an easy jog to the start and then mostly a flat (boring but not the point!) route along the A30.

1st k is slightly downhill and off to a good start with a 3'38 then it becomes a noticeable, if minor, climb for about 2k and had to work very hard to keep the pace sub 4. Then its the 1st turn in the route and slight downhill all the rest of the 5k which came as a nice relief. Was running holding my phone with newly signed up for Strava running and Garmin on too. Garmin had 18'55 at the end and Strava 18'59, so took the former (Strava showed 5.02k anyway!).

Anyone know if Strava still takes its time from Garmin via Connect if you run with both on? Don't want to get into Strava as looks a real time waster so happy to just have it there for when needed, and not follow or be followed and not bother with segments. Did notice I was way down the list on all the cycling ones, but pretty high on the running ones.  Would seem to back up Ric's view that it is mostly a serious cyclists' plaything, unless it just attracts more of the "fun" types among runners than cyclists. 
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    I remember the Nike Skylon fondly - other than those I have only worn Nike's spikes.  I have skinny feet and am not fussy, but some shoes seem to give me plantar issues almost immediately.  I'm glad orange is an approved thread colour for shoes.

Was going to crow about my longest run for years of 38 minutes and then find somebody has run a bloody marathon and others are cranking out mileage at paces I am dreaming of.  Good job I am getting patient in my old age.

Has anybody on here tried to time the end of their run with the outdoor clap for the NHS?  I thought it would be amusing, but the other half said she'd dump me.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Your finishing at 8 pm on a Thursday made me smile, Moraghan!
    38 minutes is progress! Consistent consistency please. 

Re the shoe debate, am not sure whether I have posted this before: 
    the Reebok World 10 were the Nike 4% of the day. The road racing shoe: basically very thin kangaroo skin upper  and a bit of very thin rubber on the sole. Ron wore these for his early marathons and world 10 and 20 mile records and helped design them, punching holes in the upper of the prototype  with a hole punch to make them lighter. Probably right up Ric or Simon's street. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete clearly cyclists need longer sections whereas runners will pop up with much shorter ones, often in places you can't cycle.

Not sure that makes it "sad" Ric. And remember you're posting on a running forum for fookerys sake 😄.
    See how far your soliloquies on random minutae get you in day yo day life if in any doubt😙.

Ps ahem yes..getting agitated at someone else's 5k time and congitating on the accuracy of random footballers times til midnight was a new personal pb of obsessional even for me💩

Can i play the "it's passion" card 🚀.

Pete well done for getting out and putting a shift in.

Moraghan and aley always a treat when you chaps get back involved.

I remember years ago some random saying they got excited and rushed to the thread when they saw Phil had posted😄😄

I always presumed that was Phil's ringer account,but with the boys above i genuinely do rush in.

Not to underplay anyone else's contribution obvs. More a rare treat.

Half way through this advanced excel course..quite interesting.

I've changed!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps Moraghan amongst all my jabber I still keep vaguely to your template. And am currently on the MP run base period. Albeit generally doing single run 10milers mon to to fri due to the single exercise rule. Long on sundays.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Moraghan said:
    Has anybody on here tried to time the end of their run with the outdoor clap for the NHS?  I thought it would be amusing, but the other half said she'd dump me.
    Not deliberately but I did get back into the village from my first segment busting fartlek session a couple of weeks back just as the applause started. It was only as I got further in to the village & heard more & more noise that I realised why they were doing it :D

Alehouse: Ron raced 10 milers on cinder tracks & proper XC in bare feet like many others so anything on the feet was bound to be some relief - if a bit heavy!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    nice run Pete, that's 18:55 in my book :-)

Strava is pretty good for the running community banter, you might find you actually quite like it. You can also see the training that others are putting in too. Amazing the mileage that Kevern continues to put in despite there being no races on the horizon (and no marathons likely in 2021 imho).

Moraghan - you're not the 1st person I have read talk fondly about the Skylon. I'm not sure if I'm googling the right thing but these?! Excuse me, back in '95 I was a round-faced golfer!

https://www.thedropdate.com/news/nike-air-skylon-ii

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Tidy 5k that Pete - running with a phone in hand has got to slow you up too!

Things are getting weird indeed SG if an Excel course is being described as "interesting" :smiley: A pivotal moment perhaps? :smiley:

Think I might delay my run an hour then - oh wait, I go out the back gate so wouldn't get any applause anyway :wink:

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - to clarify, I haven't concluded my run in that fashion yet, just floated the idea.  High-fiving neighbours on both sides of the road would be a mandatory component. 

Consistent consistency - wise words.

Jooligan.    :D

SG - keep up the good work.  I'm doing a quality / rec / easy pattern with rest days as required -  with quality being sprint work.  I get decent results in the 800m off MP work, although I don't like it - but that's for this winter.    I fear I might also find an advanced excel course interesting.

Wool - thanks for the link, I don't remember them looking anything like that!  I wonder if I have a photo somehwere.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - tasty 5k, nice. Going well.

Ale - there's not a lot of support in those shoes, i remember some of the Tiger (pre Asics) shoes, Tiger marathon?

Moraghan - i had some Nike Triumph and Vainqueur (?) spikes when i was a teen.

11m more today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Excel whizzed by.

My role was almost like i'd been planted by the leader to point out all the functions you use for tonnes of stuff..only for him to say "yeah you could do that...or.."

And adds a real smart way!

But yeah Mr M..two 6m MP last two Tuesdays.
    6.10 two weeks back.ideal.
    6.24 this week..upsettingly windy!
    Good to hear you're back in the running game. Only question, is i remember you saying "enjoy your early 30s as your late 30s are a nightmare"..
    So how are the 40s so far 😄
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Excel exciting hmm :D You need to get out more SG :p
    Cracking solo 5K Pete
    Yesterday I tried a run. Just over 4M at 8:04 average felt OK but also like a good place to stop. Today was a hilly 8.4M - I was toying with another loop to get to 10 but I got to the top of the 1st little climb on the extra loop & decided to be sensible & took the shortcut home. Glad I did as certainly didn't need an extra 1.7M & 200+'
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm amazed you could go that far Jools - you are made of tough stuff!

Unlike my foot apparently! Highlight (lowlight?) of tonight's run was ending up with a an inch long blackthorn stuck into my foot!

I was trying to give a wide berth to a walker on a narrow path and running in the undergrowth when I felt a pain like a nail had gone into my foot, which stopped me dead - so distracting I even forgot to stop my garmin!  The offending thorn had penetrated so far through the sole of my shoe and into my foot that I had to wrench the shoe off with both hands to get it off, almost as if it had been nailed on.  

With no option but to run home the next 2.5M miles, I was half expecting to get home with a shoe full of blood. Bizarrely, the run wasn't that painful, there was no blood and barely even a puncture mark. However, two hours on it hurts like hell. I can't move either of the two small toes on that foot without excruciating pain and slightly worrying is that the tendons above each metatarsal are also very tender to the touch.

Guess I'll just have to see how it is tomorrow...
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Oh no Bus you always get these most freaky injuries! Sounds horrible and that pic does indeed look just like a nail. Hope it is less painful  very soon and not a prob for long. Get some paracetamol down you for now. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Stevie G said:
    I remember you raced at Staines 2017 but not sure of many races since (maybe one or two max. But of course you might have done sessions in them. Or they might be yonks old?

But it's clearly going to be a big number hence you asking 😄😄

No surprise that my question was ignored.

After all, who wants to know that I've already done a minimum of 650 miles in a pair of shoes which cost £45, while they shelled out a kings ransom on Vapour Fly's, which not only appear to have all the structural integrity of porridge. But; and to be fair, no one saw this Covid-19 business coming, cannot now be used at all for the purpose they were bought for?

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I wore my VF's for the TVXC Virtual 5k yesterday Ric and they served me well for the purpose they were bought for, namely to enable me to run as fast as I possibly can.

If you want quality you pay the price; No-one expects a Ferrari to do the mileage of a Volvo. I could buy some sturdy walking boots from Aldi for £50 and do 5000 miles in them, but not very fast. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Stevie G said:
    Pete clearly cyclists need longer sections whereas runners will pop up with much shorter ones, often in places you can't cycle.

Not sure that makes it "sad" Ric. And remember you're posting on a running forum for fookerys sake 😄.
    See how far your soliloquies on random minutae get you in day yo day life if in any doubt😙.

Ps ahem yes..getting agitated at someone else's 5k time and congitating on the accuracy of random footballers times til midnight was a new personal pb of obsessional even for me💩

Can i play the "it's passion" card 🚀.

Pete well done for getting out and putting a shift in.

Moraghan and aley always a treat when you chaps get back involved.

I remember years ago some random saying they got excited and rushed to the thread when they saw Phil had posted😄😄

I always presumed that was Phil's ringer account,but with the boys above i genuinely do rush in.

Not to underplay anyone else's contribution obvs. More a rare treat.

Half way through this advanced excel course..quite interesting.

I've changed!!

A running forum indeed SG.

Just running? 

I'd go so far as saying that this thread is such a good example of the modern phenomena known as 'Social Media', that it ought to belong as part of a University Course.

How the participants within the study would be regarded would fit within current lines of anonymity, so no chance of being 'outed' or anything else that might be described as untoward or contentious.

Maybe HEARST magazines will sell it off as an item when they finally shut up shop on this place? 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Well, the pain didn't get better - just worse! Very little sleep overnight because of the pain and I'm reduced to crawling or hopping as the only way of getting round the house as I can't put any weight at all on any part of the foot. 

It's weird, as there is only a tiny puncture wound, minimal swelling and no obvious sign of infection.  I can move my toes (painfully) so presuming there's no serious damage other than torn tissue and possibly nerves.

Googling blackthorn injury was definitely not a good idea!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric, none of us are getting any younger, and i think this virus shows us that we have to seize the opportunity to race and enjoy things when we can. As when they're taken from you, you realise the loss.
    Never knock those who try and make the most of their running. Especially when it's not their fault they're not able to as freely as they like right now.

Bus, that's a new one! Looks a particularly random and nasty pierce job. Hope it is just the shock to the body and soon disappears. Can't be too bad hopefully.

After a 68 and 3x65 mile weeks, it makes sense to cut down a little this week with the two day course.

Today i went for a sharp 10x1min on 1min off in a 7.5miler.
    Will have to double check the paces but am sure they were generally mid 5.30 sort of figure. Maybe a couple quicker on a couple of slopes and a couple up inclines more Sub 6.

43.5 so far and probs 14-15 sun.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Nasty Bus. It seems like the NHS is saying that A&E is open as usual if you need treatment. Might be worth popping in? Are you taking something for the pain, some anti-inflams perhaps?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks chaps.

Just taken some ibuprofen and had paracetamol last night. I've got a video call with my GP this afternoon. I don't think it is infected, but is pretty swollen so best to get it checked. Don't really want to end up with no left foot (that would mean I was defeated.....) :smiley:

I've only had one running related visit to A&E in 18 years of running (holly in the eye!) so it's pretty unlucky for it to happen right now  - and somewhat ironic that it was caused by trying to social distance!  I don't want to be accused of having my running put a strain on the NHS!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I don't think you need to feel bad at all Bus. I've seen several appeals where the NHS have actually been pointing out the drop in visits to A&E and the associated health issues we could be storing up for ourselves longer term. Better a chat with your GP now than sucking up more time in the future was the message I've taken away.

Few strides for me this morning ahead of my 5k TT attempt in the morning. Wore my old adidas tempo boosts that still look as pristine as Ric's shoes on the sole even with 500ish miles on the clock. They are dead though, so flat. Could be end of life, could be just comparison with other models of shoes I have. I wouldn't write off tech progress, even if it does cost a few quid more. BTW: my 1st pair of VF (I have 4) are still going with more than 500 miles on the clock.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers Wool. That's staggering mileage in the VF's!

Good luck with the TT
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it shouldn't be forgotten that you don't just run 100miles in vapors then bin them.
    You then move to sessions.
    You then nove to loads of easy.
    Drive in them.
    Garden in them.

Sell them for a fiver down a carboot 😄😄

Ok may be that last one i only did once at a carboot with loads of dead wave riders.
    I remember one guy irritated i only had size 12s.

Do i look like a shoe dealer! Would a shoe dealer be offering £80 trainers at a fiver etc!!

Bus not like you are constantly at the docs! And no doubt well made up for in your tax etc

Pain swelling and bruising are watch words. You have two, so it'll be something. Just hopefully very temporary.

Data validation at the moment on this course. Quite pleased as it's fairly simple in the context of the rest of the morning's stuff!
    But still new bits to learn.

Moved to a couple of these "now do these exercises" tests, after mostly a watch and do yourself brief yesterday.

We're getting there.
    Hoping for a 3-3.30 end. That'd be a great result!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Managed to write a massive spiel and still not cover it (ed..what's new son)..

These have arrived.. I recall the "these feel tight" front feel of a decade ago. But i know that's fine in these. I suspect my vapors in comparison that feel a bit roomy doesn't help maximise them!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Stevie G said:
    Ric, none of us are getting any younger, and i think this virus shows us that we have to seize the opportunity to race and enjoy things when we can. As when they're taken from you, you realise the loss.
    Never knock those who try and make the most of their running. Especially when it's not their fault they're not able to as freely as they like right now.

Bus, that's a new one! Looks a particularly random and nasty pierce job. Hope it is just the shock to the body and soon disappears. Can't be too bad hopefully.

After a 68 and 3x65 mile weeks, it makes sense to cut down a little this week with the two day course.

Today i went for a sharp 10x1min on 1min off in a 7.5miler.
    Will have to double check the paces but am sure they were generally mid 5.30 sort of figure. Maybe a couple quicker on a couple of slopes and a couple up inclines more Sub 6.

43.5 so far and probs 14-15 sun.
    Words of wisdom SG. I'll remember those when I'm your age  :D

Bus, I hope to hell 'that' doesn't develop into anything.

Last year, I woke up with all manner of aches and realised it was my lymph glands going into over drive. I'd also broken out into spots which fooled me into thinking they were just part of a reaction to some unknown.

They were. The unknown happened to be the biggest spot (on the butt) which seemed to have rotted. I then remembered that on one run, I had to get off the road quick and in the process got spiked on, a Blackthorn.

It was nothing. Just a micro scratch, but whatever was on the spike (right next to a composting centre and council tip) it got my immune system going.

Now I didn't go on anti-biotics. I just cleaned up the area; easy to get at mind, and soon enough it got better.

Ten months later I can still see the mark.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Wool said:
    I don't think you need to feel bad at all Bus. I've seen several appeals where the NHS have actually been pointing out the drop in visits to A&E and the associated health issues we could be storing up for ourselves longer term. Better a chat with your GP now than sucking up more time in the future was the message I've taken away.

Few strides for me this morning ahead of my 5k TT attempt in the morning. Wore my old adidas tempo boosts that still look as pristine as Ric's shoes on the sole even with 500ish miles on the clock. They are dead though, so flat. Could be end of life, could be just comparison with other models of shoes I have. I wouldn't write off tech progress, even if it does cost a few quid more. BTW: my 1st pair of VF (I have 4) are still going with more than 500 miles on the clock.
    Wool, I revitalise old shoes by the simple process of just swopping around the inner soles.

Those NB's of mine get a selection from real cushion jobs to the minimal items that came with the shoe.

The difference those various inner soles make to the orientation can make them appear different shoes. 

I've been down that route of buying extra pairs of shoes because the model was so good. I've stopped that practise now, because on each occasion, the shoes were never as good as the first pair.

In fact, they felt so different, they may as well have been a different manufacturer. Odds on it was a different worker who constructed them.

🙂

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    interesting Ric, I don't have a PhD in physics but I would be very surprised if you can revitalize the performance of a pair of shoes by changing the insoles. I would have thought it was more about permanent loss of re-bound in the sole-forming foam material. I can see why a new pair of insoles could make them feel quite different though, I'll dig a fresh pair out of the cupboard. 

Totally agree that some pairs of the same shoes feel different. Not had that with the VF though, they've all been ace  B)