Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Very sad on Berlin.  At the moment, it's hard to see any of the majors going ahead in the Autumn.

Struggling with the motivation here but making myself get out non the less.  Hopefully 12.5 miles early evening.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I know GFA is a complex are but with so few people racing I wouldn't be surprised if they relaxed the rules. 
    Keep it up SBD 👍
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A very ploddy 10 for me and then another zoom ankle focused session. Both cats zoom bombed today!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good strategy.
    Jools- keep those cats under control!
    Not counting on any races this year sadly, so planning a few solo events to keep me focussed.
    5 easy miles with a few strides followed by shopping. Rest day tomorrow probably.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Enjoying a bit of carb-loading today (nothing OTT). Usual breakfast, plenty of fruit snacks, sweet potatoes with kale, green lentils and sweet chilli hummus for lunch, some leftover chocolate cake and more fruit this afternoon, curry, rice and na'an bread later for dinner.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Go easy on the carb loading Gul.  Looking forward to following your progress on Saturday - how do I access the online tracking?

An easy 7.5 miles pre-dusk.  My runs are getting later as the sunset gets later - so a 7.05pm departure this evening.  Lovely conditions, the temperature having dropped and a welcome refreshing breeze.  Bit of an ongoing battle with the niggles but I'm determined to come out on top!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SBD - yes, the weather is looking good.
    I'm afraid tomorrow's marathon is rather an antiquated event and the live-tracking will be very basic. You can find it here  https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/168846/sub-3h15#latest  There will be 2 updates only. One before I start and one after I finish ;)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck with it, Gul.

I deliberately went out later yesterday to get a feel for the heat. Not as late as SBD, I went at lunchtime. 5 miles on the road as I wanted to have a sustained effort rather than easy trail stuff. Didn't look at the watch until the end and was very surprised to average 6.58. Certainly felt slower as I felt hot and heavy throughout. 4 of the 5 splits were sub-7, not done that for a couple of months.

Rest day today and then an easy 10 or 12 miles on the trails tomorrow.

Looking at the temp for Sunday, London would have been to warm for me to go for a PB attempt. OK for the earlier 9.30am start but with the sun fully out and rising temps in the second half, it would have been a GFA only attempt. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, I think it would have been hotter than 18c. The temp they give is the air temp in the shade. If the sun is out it's be a few c hotter.

I feel tinged with sadness this weekend. I should be on a train from Worcester to London at 12.54 today, had an e-mail with my sch last night. Sunday will be a strange morning. Though had London been going ahead i'd feel even worse as i'd have to have withdrawn.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I think I'll indulge in a beer around 1.30pm on Sunday. That would roughly be the time we'd all be in Chandos talking to each other about our epic PB achievements.

I was buzzing in there last year with you all. Best run of my life and a great drinking crowd to share it with.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, run of my life also, everything went as well as it ever could. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul goodluck and keep a lid on it early on and you will be grand.
    Gdawg back to where you were pre injury 
    Dt not much consolation but a great year to be injured.

10m easy yesterday and a bit of a tempo today again  2 mile hard  ( 6:34 and 632 ) with a couple of half miles after to give me 5m in total.

Local half mara in Sept canned today , its all over folks see you next year lol !!!!!!!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Yes, guys, very sad. Here's to 2021!
    Okay, setting off shortly...
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    3:05:12! 4 min PB :)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Gul sub 3 is getting close now. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant Gul, many congrats. Look forward to more detail but that is very fast for a solo run.
    I'm also feeling sad this weekend, would have been a great weekend in London. 
    My hip is still  not great today. I'm going for a tester shortly but the mara attempt tomorrow is almost certainly suspended.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ps, Gul - made my morning (which started after you'd finished )  :)

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Excellent solo marathon run Gul - to be 4 mins below your PB is brilliant.  You would have easily been a good 6 minutes quicker in a race. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Gul, youd get no where near your potential solo imo, so find yourself a smallish autumn mara, so you can get the sub3 done whilst you are in good shape.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow - great stuff, Gul. I have absolutely no inclination to cover the full distance alone!

5 easy and then another s&c session. Including 6 minutes of planking!!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    amazing work, Gul. Defo find a low key aurltumn mara. However im very much in jools camp on the lack of inclination at any point to do that.

Take it easy on the hip, OO. 

I'm slowly getting fatter and less fit, but it all makes it easier to see results when i can do something about it and to give me a head of steam. I'm trying to limit my booze in take to 3 nights a week and stick to normal eating routine as best i can. though boredom and the additional time on not commuting or training to lead to me entering the biscuit tin too often. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Fantastic run, Gul. Superb time! Congratulations!

Just a 12 miler on the trails for me today. Ran at LSR pace which today was 8.02. Can feel the knee getting stronger, just need be careful when going quicker.

Once again, Gul, congrats on a great run, mate.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Morning, guys. I've made it downstairs okay. My legs don't feel as sore as they did after Boston last year and even managed some gardening yesterday. So a brief marathon run report.
    I woke up around 3:15, I think. I had decided to treat it like a normal morning run, so no food or drink before heading out. However, I had decided to use gels again, so had the first one shortly before starting. The other 5 fitted nicely in my flipbelt, which worked a treat. My GPS watch battery is on the way out, I think, so I had a backup watch in the flipbelt too, and made a mental note of the time on its display as I started. 
    The weather conditions were perfect. Nice and cool; internet said it was 5C. No wind (5mph apparently). After waiting a couple of minutes for a decent GPS signal, I gave up and started anyway at 3:34.
    The course was 4 laps of a 6 mile loop and then another 2.2 mile loop to finish. My watch isn't the best, so there was no point checking the pace as I went along, but the mile splits on the lap are fairly accurate. Due to the lack of GPS signal at the start though, the first mile was over distance. It should have been around 7:10, if I remember correctly, but it didn't clock up until 7:24. I was pretty happy with the pace for the first mile, anyway. The rest of the split points on that first lap were just that little bit past the usual places, so after the initial blip at the start, the GPS worked fine. I ended up doing the first lap a bit faster than planned, but it felt comfortable and I went with the flow. I decided to adjust the course just before the end of the first lap by adding a very slight detour and managed to bring it back on target, passing my house dead on 6.0 miles.
    First lap:
    Mile 1: 7:24
    Mile 2: 6:47
    Mile 3: 6:47
    Mile 4: 6:49
    Mile 5: 6:54
    Mile 6: 6:57|
    Total: 41:37
    Very little to report on the run itself. As you might imagine, I saw next to no-one. A police car passed me somewhere around 2.6 miles! I should have practised taking the gels more too. I think I lost time trying to pull them out of the flipbelt and also eating them and catching my breath again. Hopefully the extra carbs more than made up for it! I took another 5 in all, one every 32 minutes.
    Second lap:
    Mile 7: 6:58
    Mile 8: 7:06
    Mile 9: 6:55
    Mile 10: 7:07
    Mile 11: 6:54
    Mile 12: 7:10
    Total 42:15
    As you can see, I slowed down from 6:xx to 7:xx just before the halfway point, but fortunately not too dramatically.
    Third lap:
    Mile 13: 7:09
    Halfway 1:31:49
    Mile 14: 7:19
    Mile 15: 7:03
    Mile 16: 7:02
    Mile 17: 6:58
    Mile 18: 7:05
    Total 42:37 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    So, now I was on the final long lap. My GPS said low battery around 21 miles, so I switched to plan B and stopped it and saved the data before it died. However, according to the display it then gradually increased charge again! So I decided I would start it again at the end of the 4th lap to try and get an accurate measure of the final lap distance (fortunately it worked!)
    Fourth lap:
    Mile 19: 7:01
    Mile 20: 7:04
    Mile 21: 7:01
    Miles 22-24 21:40 (Calculated)
    Total: 42:46  (Calculated)
    I had left a note for Mrs GD with an estimated time for finishing lap 4 and overall, but unfortunately I was about 3 minutes faster than my estimate so didn't see her at the window as I passed my house for the final time (she missed me despite looking twice; once just before and once just after I went by!)
    The GPS watch held up and it told me I had slightly underestimated the last lap too and I had to ran another 50 metres past my house to finish in 3:05:12 (I had taken my backup watch out and used it to get the total time).
    Final lap:
    Mile 25: 7:17
    Mile 26: 7:06
    Final 0.22: 1:34
    Total 3:05:12
    Rather pleased with that :) A 4:12 PB.
    I take the point that running in a race would give me a faster time on one hand, but on the other I am totally convinced that being able to roll out of bed and run without all the driving beforehand and stress of race day pretty much cancels that out. And I would be very fortunate to get such perfect conditions or as good a course ;)
    Time for a rest day or two!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say, that was a 1:34 +ve split, which is my best ever, with the possible exception of Boston.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    And don't you love optical/wrist HRM? Average BPM 118 :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great stuff, Gul - massive kudos to you :)   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    great stuff, Gull  A 3.30 ish start mind  I'd not be able to move! Glad to hear the flip belt worked well. It definitely pays to practice with it and gels in advance. 

Sat in the garden, in sun no breeze as we would all be finishing vmlm. I fear the warmth would have ruined a number of pb attempts.