Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dashers great hope young Chris did a similar solo 5k to Reggie.

His original effort had a 115feet downhill in the first mile, so this one kept to the rules, perhaps a 20feet drop mile 1, but that's ok.

17.15, which is a proper pb.

Heart rate started over 200 from mile 1 and a legit one apparently, as he's well into his tech gear (did it in the Next trainers!)

Needs to apply that anger and higher mileage (50 this week, which is unlike him), and he could drill his pbs.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Felt pretty hot today and I'm only waking an hour later than usual on sundays. And getting out by 830 or so.

The climbs didn't feel too special and saw a few miles come out in 720s, which is fine but all felt a little sluggish even in a cutback week.

However, come 11miles i started to get the downhill cash back and mile 12 had a massive drop. 

So still came out 7.04 which surprised me.

Reminded me why itd be a real world of pain to race long distance late spring or summer. I think a 10miler at Maidenhead on the flat would be the limit for a flat out race.
    Maybe something like that race the train course could work..in summer but doesn't need flat out in the same way. But probably best kept to short stuff!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You do get acclimatised to it to a large extent though SG. The worst is when it has been cool for ages then heats up on race day :smiley: Very nice long run by the way.

Two days of biking of me - 30M yesterday and 31 today. Nothing by the standards of Reg (who happily does 5 times that at a faster pace!!!) or Joe, but enough for me. Today's was OK, but my back was sore after about 90 mins. Some weird etiquette going on currently. yesterday I was overtaken while taking it easy, and my instinct was to jump on his wheel, which is, of course, not a good idea at the moment. So, I left a gap of about 30 feet or so, but he then proceeded at a speed just less than I was happy with, so I was left with a quandary - do I overtake, knowing I'm going to have to push really hard to get a gap, or just take it easy? Taking it easy won out :wink:

Similar today. At the top of Winter HIll, I took a quick photo and someone went past. I then caught him on the downhill, but again had to keep a large gap. Eventually, I overtook him, but having to slow for other cyclists/walkers etc meant he caught me. HE was then behind me all the way to Maidenhead, and as I couldn't let him overtake, I had to keep a speed a bit quicker than my legs would have liked! Of course, this made the climb up to Cliveden through Taplow a tad painful!

The foot seems a little better today. The swelling has gone down a bit, but still no chance of running on it yet. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Classic scenario there Bus!
    Silliest version of me in the old days was joining the road behind Kingsmead park and clocking some guy storming in my direction.

I had to boot it to keep ahead but was on the verge of absolute obliteration so ended up nipping behind a hedge and lying down out of sight.
    Embarrassing stuff.

Watching the 1981 london marathon. The one where the two geezers orchestrated a joint win. The american guy had a catalogue of disasters years later according to wiki. Accidents, road crashes, addiction to pain killers, tragedy with his son. Wow!

Another for the "treasure the good times" locker!

The footage, kits, course all look soooooo dated!
    Could be wrong, but i looks like some of it was coned off to onky run on one side of the road too! Imagine these days risking having some nutter having the ability to drive next to 1,000s of runners separated by a few cones!

Even the finish looks ridiculous, finishers having to filter down a very narrow gantry flanked by wads of media, staff and general hangers on!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Get some layers on year round and condition yourself for warmer weather SG, ive done Ryde 1/2 in Aug (11.30 start) in around 30 deg, same with Harting 10 on SDW in Aug. Training in the summer is much better than being out there in the winter.......i have to say that it would ruin a marathon though....i prefer trainimg through summer for Oct mara, than training through winter for a warm vlm day.

Good peddalling bus, hope you can run again soon.

I spent my exercise token walking with my wife today, but id done 13 double digit days in a row, i did do 30min of s and c afterwards.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

A lot of my last 4 weeks have been around midday when it's warm, but today just felt a step above that. Maybe a lack of wind. Combined with the hills probably. Although sometimes it is a weird feeling that you're in a cutback week, and it feels harder than in the full week!

Decent run.

Have a single day of training Wed - Advanced Powerpoint - hopefully that's lighter relief than the Excel.

Then weighing up whether a VBA course - beginner level without any doubt there, as that's a whole different proposition to Excel.
    Had a quick 30mins doing the world's most basic macros and buttons :D

Classic me - all or nothing :)

That's a huge run of double digits there TR!

Bearing in mind in my usual format of runs, I'd do a 10 and a long run each week, for 2 double digits (slight disclaimer that a tempo might total 9, which is obvs close to 10)

Over the last 5 weeks I've done

22x10          (well one was 10.5, but put it in here)
    1x14
    4x15

27 double digit jobs, so just over 5 a week!

It's going alright though as an experiment.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    All those doubles SG and 60+ miles a week and you don’t fancy a 5k? Seems like an opportunity missed given the race drought that’s set to endure for a while.

Nice long run though and impressive double digit sequence TR.

Classic cycling mental games there Bus. If I see anyone out there I am just going to change my plan and smash it past them 😂 nothing worse than when they go a different way just before you pass!

Just a recovery run today after doing the club indoor TT yesterday, struggled with that a bit after the 5k bit averaged 336w for 34 minutes. Probably should be low 340s when fresh. Good enough for the fastest time though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I can deal with not putting an 18.30 time trial in!

Unlike Chunt, I can't put a max HR job in solo! I doubt I could do that in a race :D

ps - just to clarify, as we have exceptional readership levels ;)

There have been NO doubles, as per gov instructions :)

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

I've not really been arsed to do any other time trials since the 5k thing. We had the 2.6 mile challenge v Clapham Chasers, arranged by Joe's mate Angus. We've put them in their place apparently ;)

Did a painful ish 11.5 today, 7.21 pace (as did 9.21 mile with the family first..)

Yesterday's 1k reps were 3.40 warm up, then 3.25,3.25,3.19,3.18,3.18, then a 3.41 warm down.

Leg not great, need to do more stretching this week.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Another solid week in the bag for you SG but agree with Reg not doing the virtuals was an opportunity missed; no need to do your best time as only a fun break from routine training and some competition again. Another great base week for you TR; can there be a bigger base built over the lockdown😏

Good to hear you are on the mend Bus and decent cylcing that in my book.

Well done on your Virtual Reg; no need for big mileage for you to stay super fast over 5k then. Great time by Wool too; sub 18 as a solo very high level. 

Good to see you back to times beyond most of us Simon; even if you still consider yourself only half fit!

I had another bash at the Virtual today on a different 'course' I'd been told was fast. Not really so for me though! It had a long drag up from 1k to 2.5k then a 600m off road bit with newly laid loose stones towards the end (not ideal for old VF's with awful stability and grip!). Last k was flat but was struggling by then and couldn't retrieve much. Was again running holding the phone with Strava Ap running and Garmin on (as don't trust the latter which keeps under-reporting distance!).

Stopped just after where I'd been told to and Strava Ap gave 4.99k and 19'09 (took me about 10 secs to get to the right page and stop it though). Garmin had 4.94k and 18'59. Submitted the Strava one as at least (hopefully) acceptably close to 5k. Matters little though as both a few secs longer than my 1st go on Thrisday; I don't know why I bothered😅
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps.  18:xx SG??? No chance - low 17s without too much effrt and sub 17 if you put your mind to it!!!

Reg - there can't be many cyclists overtake you, unless you've stopped for a sarnie or G is out for a blast down south :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I peaked at 17.15 last summer in a race, at battersea park.

There's no way in heck id be even matching that across town solo 😂

Let alone without proper speed work.
    It'd be an absolute no win in any way.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Proper speed work? You've been doing plenty! Just give it a try and see what comes out....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Haven't done a mile quicker than 6.00 (slight down) or even a min quicker than 5.16 pace (down a slope!) in months.

Won't even dream of a time trial 5k until back on the track.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus said: :D
    You do get acclimatised to it to a large extent though SG. The worst is when it has been cool for ages then heats up on race day :smiley: Very nice long run by the way.

Two days of biking of me - 30M yesterday and 31 today. Nothing by the standards of Reg (who happily does 5 times that at a faster pace!!!) or Joe, but enough for me. Today's was OK, but my back was sore after about 90 mins. Some weird etiquette going on currently. yesterday I was overtaken while taking it easy, and my instinct was to jump on his wheel, which is, of course, not a good idea at the moment. So, I left a gap of about 30 feet or so, but he then proceeded at a speed just less than I was happy with, so I was left with a quandary - do I overtake, knowing I'm going to have to push really hard to get a gap, or just take it easy? Taking it easy won out :wink:

Similar today. At the top of Winter HIll, I took a quick photo and someone went past. I then caught him on the downhill, but again had to keep a large gap. Eventually, I overtook him, but having to slow for other cyclists/walkers etc meant he caught me. HE was then behind me all the way to Maidenhead, and as I couldn't let him overtake, I had to keep a speed a bit quicker than my legs would have liked! Of course, this made the climb up to Cliveden through Taplow a tad painful!

The foot seems a little better today. The swelling has gone down a bit, but still no chance of running on it yet. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.
    During my biking excursions I tend to overtake quite a few other cyclists, but unless they are just pootling along, I tend to find doing so a little embarrassing.

After all. We are both just riding. Independently of each other. Not out for competition (well I'm not) unless going for a Strava segment. And, but for circumstances, would have been nowhere near each other, if I just happened to be one minute sooner or later at the point of contact.

With me, when I pass, I acknowledge this with a quiet gesture of respect. I don't expect them to raise their game and 'get onto my wheel'. That's plain dis-respect in my book as it's much easier to ride in the slip stream. So if they do it to me, they are choosing to steal an advantage, un announced and without asking. 

I mean, I don't recall asking for the attention. It's just me and the road. Other bikers are about, but they aren't behind my purpose.

When someone overtakes me. I keep my ego in place, and just let them go.

Easy for me of course. I'm not some infantile prat who applies a competitive aspect to everything they touch in life; the reason that those who do, keep getting into arguments and fights with half the people they come across.

Nearest I get is here on this forum.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It takes two to argue, luckily for you Ric 😂😉

I bet when you pass these cyclists you think "still got it Ricky baby"
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    If only we were all as magnanimous, zen and wise as you Ric,  acting on your own higher plain of consciousness instead of just being characterless, disrespectful, infantile prats whose training and running means shit.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Soz if y'all have already clocked this (twas on the homepage a few weeks back) but It gives slipstream recommendations for runners, cyclists or walkers:

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a32094750/coronavirus-runner-slipstream/
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good to see you’ve been able to get out on the bike over the weekend Bus. Especially as the weather looks to be turning this week. Hope the thorn injury keeps healing well.
    Lots more rapid 5K times. Well done Pete & Wool on your honest efforts.
    Sounds like a 5K TT is just what you need to shake things up a bit SG.
    I had a decent weekend with my household opting to return to parkrun again Saturday. We set off at about 8:45 with the elder lad going straight into his 'race' leading out followed by myself & the youngster who did a mile wu & followed by their mum. We got back to the start and the youngster powered off once he'd sorted his sounds whilst I did another 600m wu before chasing them down. I caught Kate in the final 400m & finished in 21:02. The rest all managed course PBs with the 19yr old doing 22:xx in spite of rolling his ankle on Thursday's hilly 9 miler & running a hilly 5 on Friday too. He was then keen to run home so we did another 7 mile home which brought his day's tally to 11M. Saturday night we had a celebratory night of food & drink. Each of us was given a colour & we produced a matching dish & cocktail. I was red so went first & kicked off with Bloody Marys & canapes
    As you can imagine with pint glasses of cocktails & 7 colours to get through it got very messy D
    Took me til gone 4 before I could face a run but once out the door I enjoyed another 11M hilly sweat fest. Nice & steady with just one 1500m hill effort to bag a CR.
    Forced myself up early this morning to do my neglected stretching/S&C routine before sitting down at the computer to wfh. Looking forward to a cooler run this afternoon  Not so much the rain tonight/tomorrow as it will mean a lot of my quiet paths become slippery as hell
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Aley - thought that was gonna be a legit one til I saw the guy in the cap. No respectable runner races in a cap ;)

I think this would be a much more interesting approach than the 5k thing.

No rules on elevation, stopping or anything. But you have to run. You can't use a train or a car.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Jools - just put me down for an 1836, based off doing a mile at 6.00 at the start of my tempo two weeks ago. I could "Probably" manage 3x6.00 deads, if allowing me a decent slope :D

What an unusual food snap! And you seem to recovered easily from that marathon effort!

Back on the weekday day 10s for me. Took ages messing with stuff, so only stepped out a bit before midday. Was pleased to think "this feels cool conditions" but set off and realised it was one of those dreaded misleading, actually humid jobs.

Probably took until 2/3 to start enjoying it. Last mile round the back of our local parkrun, where the pace always seems to drop off. It has a few inclines and is in woods, but always surprises me.

But anyway, 7.10 job

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    If only we were all as magnanimous, zen and wise as you Ric,  acting on your own higher plain of consciousness instead of just being characterless, disrespectful, infantile prats whose training and running means shit.
    Bus, yes, it's good that you are aware of your limitations and failings. Less good is how you appear to revel in repeating them. As you have said here before, you don't learn.

Btw, do you treat your personal finances the way you do everything else you do? 

----
    RE SG,

It takes two to argue, luckily for you Ric 😂😉

Heard the expression, 'Don't shoot the Messenger' SG?

After all, If Bus didn't post everything he does about himself, I wouldn't be passing comment.

Could his posts on this thread be presented to his employer? And if not, why not?
    Now there's an idea.

I wonder what council he works for. Shouldn't take much working out.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, we need to have a little chat here - it's been brewing a few weeks now I feel. You'll take in good heart I'm sure.

We generally have a decent fairly good spirited chat on here. That's not to say it's all a lovie "agree fest", we debate things, and we don't always agree. I don't see the benefit of doing a 5k time trial right now for eg, others reckon I should - no offence either way etc.

I'm quite a conciliatory, easy going chap (ed, you sure son ;) ), and over the years I've dealt with a couple of (departed) posters who made regular cracks at me, or showed me nothing but disdain, yet still hung around on the thread of someone they clearly had an issue with - which baffled me.

One of them, I actually shared a number of PMs with, to try and help him over the injury that stalled and finished his running - unfortunate, as he had cracking potential - we ended on good terms.

The other - no such luck - it happens, you can't get on with everyone.

6months, after a few implied digs at no-one in particular, you made the suggestion that we on the thread "Lacked character".

I personally took that as a right insult, having had a real long slog back from a worrying time a few years ago, plus many other comebacks and various situations.

You then disappeared without explaining it.

Fair enough - I welcomed you back.

But since you've been back, you've seemingly made an implied insult on most of your posts.

You've picked up your tendency to have a constant go at Bus the whole time.

We all know Bus clatters himself, he knows it. But it's better to clatter yourself, have fun racing and running, then to just stop isn't it. Life is short, you have to get out there and do it while you can.

Your implied threats in that last post are not cool pal, not cool at all.

• Ric, have you heard the phrase "if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all"? 

There's no need to all the snide remarks, and frankly the thread was a better place without the recent negative input.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Nice grub Jools! Love the shocked Olives ;)

Relatively ok 7 miler today, leg annoying at the start, got better when I started to stride out.

Pete - its the long runs that hurt a bit. All the faster sessions I have done have with 2xu compression shorts plus lighter trainers, and I can hardly feel my leg at all. But slower runs with running shorts and heavier trainers...it's a completely different box of frogs. Slowly getting better though I think.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I fully back SG and Matt; well said guys. Bus is a hugely popular contributor to this forum, honest, determined, supportive and interesting (who can forget that great performance in the Fell Race only last year and thoroughly enjoyable report on it afterwards :) ).

Ric do you think the general consensus about you would be the same? For sure you are experienced and have some interesting views which challenge the conventional orthodoxy, but its about how you express them. Where is that guy that was such a pleasure to meet that day SG, you and me ran Staines 10k a few years back?
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Ric, for me places like these are for a bit of light-hearted banter around a shared passion for fitness. Honestly, if you can’t treat it similarly then you’re better off elsewhere as I’m pretty sure the rest of the thread aren’t quite putting the same level of deep thought in to their posts as you seem to demand. 

You ought to apologise to Bus, chill out a little, take it all a little less seriously
    and enjoy the company. Please.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ric, I would have thought it blatantly obvious that I really don't care about your opinion and have done my cest to simply ignore you since you return.

I do not, however, see why I should sit back and be called an infantile prat, even if it was done in your usual style of making a snide, semi inferred comment.  I have no idea why you are so personally affronted by what I post on here, but that really is your problem not mine.

As for the reference to where I work - what has that got to do with you?  Maybe that is the root of your malevolence towards me for some weird reason. As it happens, I don't work for "a council" though I do work for a contractor that runs services for a council. 

If you are the sort of person who would present the contents of a social media thread to my employer to satisfy some weird vindictiveness then feel free. I've never said or done anything on this thread that I wouldn't be happy for them to see.  

Your comments do show you for exactly the person you are though.

And gents - thanks for you your support.