London 2020

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    just in time to taper! i think it'll be earlier.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I understand that the meeting that was being held today to discuss restarting the premier League was also going to cover other sporting events and London marathon was mentioned.  So there might be some meaningful information coming out, we'll see.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I cant see them leaving a decision on the masses race that late. Folks will be well into training again by then. Would be tough to train twice for no race.

Theres very little chance of the masses race going ahead. So they may as well just roll all the gfa and ballot places over to Spring 2021.

Big city marathons might not be allowed for a while, esp races with overseas travel.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Correction, meeting re sporting fixtures is being held next week.  I read about it today.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure how interesting an elite only race would be either. The 40th race containing a handful. It's not what London is now and what the general public are particularly interested it. 

The back up mara im eyeing has a max field of 150 but is £45 to enter. It's last saturday in September.  Not sure whether to just bang in an entry to ensure i don't get caught short. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    A race the general public arnt interested in sounds ideal for the organisers chances of having an elite race.

I have a race i entered as a vlm backup (max 400), which is being rescheduled for oct 11th.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to sound negative but does anyone really believe that this year’s London Marathon will take place? I’ve been checking reports about mass sporting events, nothing seems to be agreed, it’s just that when I eventually go back to work I would like to know that I have to try and book annual leave. Also there’s the problem of accommodation and travel..........
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dublin cancelled their marathon, announced yesterday, and that race was planned for the end of October.

I struggle to see London going ahead this year.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I don't think it'll happen, however...ive booked a premier inn in Richmond the night before. It was £73 and i can cancel for a full refund upto 21 days before. Just book the leave with work and cancel it if the race isn't on if feasible? Most will have lots of spare leave anyway as we can't go away anywhere. 
  • I would be surprised if it happens Ali.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

update just out from London. Basically saying they have no idea if it can go ahead and/or in what form. It's a soft way of warming people up for a cancellation.

Can't see them going down route of elite/champs race as London is too happy clappy for that imo.

• AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Thats good enough for me, I’ll just keep my fitness up and look forward to April 2021, good luck everyone 😁
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I take todays update as an announcement of the cancellation date, before everyone starts getting too much training done.

They will need to think about whether they roll over entries to 2022, as its possible that 2021 might not be allowed to happen, given 40,000 runners and 1,000,000 on the streets.
  • I had scheduled 20 marathons spread out over 2020, and as a pacer for a few of them I am with AliT100.

Am on nearly 1100 miles of running with an additional 370 miles in my garden since 1st of May with a target of 500 in the month - am fundraising to buy at least a paramedic bike for the London Ambulance Service.

At my age (60) I am quite patient and just take things as they come along but do feel I need to stay in shape at all times - as I have been doing since leaving school over 40 years ago.

Each to their own and I respect individual positions.
  • Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    Good Afternoon All, I am in for a chance for a charity place at the VLM but wary about taking it as firstly worried about raising the money (already a £900 donation already) but would need to raise a further £500 (difficult when social distancing and gatherings allowed currently). Secondly, I would need to start training June if VLM goes ahead for Oct. I am doubtful as to whether this will take place? Has there been any rumbles? The charity Victa are not aware of anything at the moment.  Such a time of uncertainty isn't it.  So sorry for all of you who trained for April.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I had an update end of June message from Brighton today too. Maybe theres some sort of sports meeting in June?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - North Dorset has been cancelled, entries deferred to 2nd May 2021 or you can request refund.   I expect we'll get an email soon.
  • PibsterPibster ✭✭
    Hi everyone, not a big poster on here but I have been around for a while, hello again anyway :).

I have a club place for London in October and am about to ramp up some miles to prepare for it but not entirely sure it's even happening which is frustrating - yes officially it still is on but I cannot see how it can.

Have any of you deferred your entry to 2021 because of this? or are you all waiting, continuing to train, then see what happens? Do you think they will just shift everyone to April next year? Presumably if they did that we wouldn't have to pay again as we would if we deferred?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I think it will be deferred again, not sure if it'll be free again though.

Shades - noted, disappointing news. With LT 400 runners it makes you wonder when racing will come back.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - the race venue for NDVM is a school and it's possible the school is unwilling mid term to allow the school to be used by runners. 

I also think the race organiser doesn't want to start organising the event for October with the possibility of having to cancel or postpone again.

Hopefully see you there next year.  It is a good race.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - fair points, esp re schools. Lots of races are cancelling due to the uncertainnty, it might not leave many.

Im expecting to have Brighton 2021, vlm and ND on consecutive weekends next yr!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Boston just cancelled gor Autumn, only a matter of time now! 
  • portlandersportlanders ✭✭✭
    Pibs - I have a charity place for London and I decided to defer to 2021 rather than wait to see what happens in October. 
    Now i only have about half a dozen autumn HM's to train for and not having a clue if they will be able to be held. Training is good for us though, so no losers. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - 3 marathons in 3 weeks would be my kind of heaven. :)

My race schedule is like a slow motion car crash.   I have 2 in July that I doubt will happen.   Isle of Man is my next hopeful one, early August, we'll see.

portlanders - it can be hard to keep motivated as we're so used to training specifically for racing, but you're right, training is good for us.   
  • PibsterPibster ✭✭
    > @TR said:
    > I think it will be deferred again, not sure if it'll be free again though.
    >
    > Shades - noted, disappointing news. With LT 400 runners it makes you wonder when racing will come back.

> @portlanders said:
    > Pibs - I have a charity place for London and I decided to defer to 2021 rather than wait to see what happens in October. 
    > Now i only have about half a dozen autumn HM's to train for and not having a clue if they will be able to be held. Training is good for us though, so no losers. 

That's what I was thinking of doing just deferring now so I know, and write off 2020 regards races go. I'm more annoyed we might not get to see Kipchoge vs Bekele!

Think i'll continue increasing my miles anyway though over the summer, just no big runs or workouts for a bit.
  • Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭
    @portlanders was you able to defer your place to 2021 easily with the charity?
    Pibs - I have a charity place for London and I decided to defer to 2021 rather than wait to see what happens in October. 
    Now i only have about half a dozen autumn HM's to train for and not having a clue if they will be able to be held. Training is good for us though, so no losers. 

• Really can't see us getting any mass races on this year.  I hope I'm wrong and they stamp the virus out and it's safe - but you'd need to know for sure months before the race to allow for training and organisation. 
  • I agree cougie.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Have heard a “ rumour” that there’s going to be an announcement Sunday 21st from LM concerning the possibility of event happening this year, has anyone else heard anything?😩
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's not a rumour.   In there last statement they said 21st June for next update so you should know then.