Sub 3

Comments

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Superb effort that Jooligan - Not sure how you managed to keep a race face on for that distance in those circumstances.

Nice work on the tready SJ - I have used them quite a bit over the last couple of years for one reason or another 

Nice to see a bit of quality in the mix Jools and TR - I had my 2 miles at HMP followed with 5 x 5 mins at 10k this morning - picked a decent loop not totally flat and felt like i was dragging a tyre round on the last lap but still definitely a decent work out. Last weeks 60 was my longest week for a while so all good.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SJ - 50 miles on the treadmill, good work.
    Menn - Another good session bagged.
    So Berlin is off, money must be London too!  Starting to look at local smaller alternatives (again!).  Good news, first topless run of 2020.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - 2m hmp then 5x5mins is a toughie, good stuff.

OO - southampton have had to move to a 3rd date in Aug, are hsving socially distanced bag drop, toliet queue and a rolling start spread from 6am to 10am to spread everyone out........still seems a bit wrong......i think everyone will get rolled over to next yrs vlm and there'll be no extra entries, all the ballot folks need to be given their chance.

12m tonight.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Southampton could be a bit warm then.  I was wondering how races were going to cope with the social distancing requirements.  Fine until everyone starts to bunch up.  It will look a tad ridiculous.   You beat me by 0.5 miles, 11.5m here. Hope your wrong about VLM. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    OO - seems mad to me, esp having a rolling start, they could at least send waves off in sections of differing abilities, or better still just wait til we are all clear really..........looks like North Dorset is going to be Oct 11th, so ill train for Oct anyway (or Brighton if that goes on), realistically vlm has no chance of going ahead. Not with 40,000 and all the spectators. They must have a lot of entrants not doing much volume running wise at the mo too.
  • OO - 50 miles for last week only comprised a couple of treadmill runs to check I hadn't botched the setup. Still getting out and running quiet roads as my tow path is choca bloc. 

TR - I can't see London going ahead. Especially as I think I heard that Olympic qualifiers have been postponed until December. Some elites wont bother with an autumn race now. I suppose there is the appearance money though. 

Menn - speedy work on the reps. I do like the minute totally efforts versus distance based. 

Having said that, I ve been reading the Hadd pdf that has been doing the rounds for years recently. So in the spirit of Hadd I've been slowing my runs down and trying to build a base. For what I dont have a clue. I'm going to keep consistent and see what happens. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good time to build some base, im on it.

11m today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. good work getting the treadmill set up & working.  
    More miles in the bank TR, make the most of it as the wet stuff is due to return next week.
    Menn.. plenty of brownie points getting a tough session like that one done.

Similar feelings here about autumn races, a shame as there is such a stack of them.
    I'm still biking daily, 25m today in pleasant conditions.  I did try a 4m test run on Tuesday but the niggle hasn't fully settled yet, might as well be patient.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SJ - Ahh makes sense.
    Wardi - Trust in mother nature. Bloody frustrating though. 
    I see the option of an elite only VLM is being reported - think my money would be on this.  10m in the glorious sunshine out and back to Padstow this lunchtime, debutting my new very white adidas solardrives, somehow white shoes make you think you are running faster than what you are, on this occasion 6.50's - 7.20's. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shame re the niggle wardi, hope it settles.

OO - sounds like a great run. Wouldn't be surprised on an elites only,  thats got to include us sub 3 M50s too ???????

Day off work today as i have loads of leave backed up, 11m run and been working in the garden, im replacing the storm damaged fence for my neighbour and her mother (who was 102 yday).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Had a delivery from the local brewery too.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    SJ - its the same round here - I live a mile from a lovely country park and theres a constant stream of people wandering the lanes now. I never used to see a soul.

Hope it settles Wardi.

Ive had a snifter or two since lock down TR - Also been sneaking the flesh again as im not 'training'. That said got up and did a hard side of steady hilly 9 this morning. Felt pleasantly tough

Im thinking of dropping a note to VLM to see if I can get on some kind of list for when it comes back.
  • Excellent run Jools. Just the sort of madness I'd attempt if I was fully fit.

What are Southampton thinking? Is anyone really going to hold it against them if they cancel? I'd love to run a marathon this year but I'd only want to do it if the risk was extremely low and I just can't see that being the case.

On the road to a 25 mile week this week. obviously not that impressive but it's been pain free and actually quite enjoyable. highlight was a 9 miler on Wednesday on one of my favourite routes at an average of 6:40s. 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    OO - running in Padstow sounds like bliss. You'll be dodging the mud and puddles when the rain comes in those new sneaks then :) 

TR - solid effort on the neighbourly fence repairing. Top work on the ale delivery too. One thing I've not actually partaken in myself. Will have to sort that out. 

Wardi - sorry to hear the niggle is still bothering you. At least you can cycle for now. Hope it settles down soon.

Sneaking the flesh Menn? As in eating meat? I've been meat free for a year or so.  Mrs SJ veggie for 30 years and vegan for 4 so was only a matter of time. What did you have??

In a spur of the moment earlier today I convinced Mrs SJ and mini SJ to join me on the treadmill for a marathon relay on Sunday. In another uncharacteristic move I set up a justgiving page to raise a few quid for the NHS charities. Adds a little bit of significance to it. I was surprised they both agreed :) Hope it doesnt put them off. Since both are relatively new to running they will do short stints I reckon.  Should be a laugh.  

In other excitIng news our local curry house re- opened tonight for take away. Bloody lovely! 

Rest day and a day off too TR, I too was in the garden, knackered.  Best start carb loading...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. all of my 3 takeaway emporiums in the town (Indian, Pizza/Kebab & Chinese) are cash only so no 'safe' contactless option here.  Frankly I don't care just grateful that they're open.  Best of luck with the family treadmill relay, hope it's not too warm!
    Menn.. cooler weather here next week so I'm wondering if some of the fair weather exercise brigade will disappear from the paths & trails. 
    OO.. typical British weather, can't stop raining for months on end with everything saturated, then it doesn't rain at all for weeks.  Sounds like a pleasant 10 miler, enjoy it while we can I guess.
    TR.. good news on the beer delivery, the horse & cart is still delivering around here.
    Joe.. pleased to hear your runs are pain free, that's what I am patiently aiming for.

Cheers for the sympathy, I'm ok with it now as I've accepted it and there is nothing in the pipeline.  Quite enjoying the bike rides now my legs are used to it again.  Just over 30m today under blue skies & sun.
    I had intended to enter London via GFA next year though what they will do if October is cancelled we can only guess.  Roll over the 2020 places would seem the fairest.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I had a lamb chump with a greek salad and some buttered crushed minted new potatoes. Not too shabby at all. Enjoy the tready Mara - should be fun

Joe - good news on the pain front

Ploddy rambling 7 for me this morning. Nice.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds yummy Menn, youd defo be an m50 elite, if you can get them to let you in. Although we'll all probably get rolled over to April.

SJ - post up the link to the justgivingpage once youve done it. Hope the rest of your team enjoy it.

Wardi - i havnt tried my local takeaway, they might be open too.

16 today, been a solid week, 10,11,10,12,11,11,16.
  • Dan A through halfway in 1:21.

As you were.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hehe Crab :) a few decent efforts I've spotted today on Strava. Top work guys. 

Wardi - our local curry restaurant's card machine failed on them so luckily had some cash and just rounded up so as not to handle any change. 

Menn - those potatoes sounded the best bit :)

My little challenge ended up in success in that we ran 42.2km on our shed treadie. Both wife and son did amazing considering both are new at this. Very proud of them. 

A slight scare at 3 hours when the treadmill reset. Assume it's a safety feature. Anyway, we were off and running again in seconds so not too much time lost. 4hrs 39 mins scores on the doors. I had predicted a sub 5 so very happy, not that it was about time of course. 

Moat importantly wife and son said they really enjoyed it. Hopefully the start of something for them. 

TR - some pics and updates on our fund raising page... 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/treadmillrelaymarathon

• Hello Everyone. I thought I would check in on the day many of us should have been at the Red Lion. My autumn plans are somewhat in disarray now as the fate of Berlin is unclear in terms of cancel v postpone. Luckily I kept my London place, so I may see a few of you in the pub on October 4th.

After Abingdon, I struggled for a long time with running but after several false starts, I think I have now turned a corner, and feel like I could mount a campaign for an autumn marathon - should one be available! Had London gone ahead as planned, I doubt I'd have toed the line given how I felt until very recently. If I could some it all up in one word, I'd say "tired".

You may also have noticed the updated avatar. That's not just to avoid people getting me mixed up with TR! I joined a local running club (ok, mainly in order to take up my champs place) so thought it was appropriate to update the pic. I managed to get a few sessions in with them before the lockdown at least. I even did a cross-country race for the first time since my school days!

It sounds like many of you are embracing the lockdown challenges, so well done to all who've put in performances today and in recent times. I hope you and your families are all safe and well.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What would have been his finish time?

SJ - great stuff, glad they enjoyed it. Hopefully they'll stick with it.

ES - i wondered where you were, busy joining the Andy Pandy runners obviously. Dont hold yr breath re vlm 2020. Although you might get to run with a champs place. Depends how many they want on the road.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I spent my token walking with the SPO today, but did 30min of s and c ccts afterwards.

Would have been a nice day for the Red Lion.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Normally I would be on my nth pint of London Pride by now and thinking I should be heading home for food. I would have loved the weather. Not too warm for racing and perfect for afternoon street drinking.

I hope you are all doing ok. I have been trying to keep up and reading over last couple of months. As for running, I  am managing to get out and keep things ticking over. No longer have the 2.5 hour daily bike commutes but usually managing about 60 miles per week easy running.  Supposedly have a 50k trail race in August but question will it go ahead. Also question whether London in Oct or even Valencia in Dec will get green light. Hope they do and we can share a drink at Red Lion on 4th Oct.

• Dan A expected to be released from medical in the next 15mins apparently.  He's gonna head over to the Red Lion now.  Expect him just before last orders.

As you were.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    last year we have the delight of watching Dan repeatedly vomit into a pint glass after we propped him up at the bar - oh how I miss those days.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    .. though he always comes up with the goods on betting tips
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I was present at Dan A's rare moment of triumph in Barca where he must've gone through half way (to paradise) around that time. He was so happy afterwards he bought all the beer.
    Crab.. ah, I will miss the beer and Red Lion photo shoot this year.  Managed to get your haircut yet?
    SJ.. what a great day for the family, nice one!  Yes treadies do cut out after a certain time (thermal trip I assume).  I did wonder if having a cooling fan pointing towards the electrics might prevent this.
    Nice to see TickTock & ES calling in.
    TR.. showing your age if you can remember Andy Pandy  :)
    Still on the bike, 30m yesterday & 26m today.  I will be taking a wad of cash down to the Indian takeaway tonight and there are bottles of Kingfisher in the fridge.  Sounds like a good night in.
  • Great run there SJ and a very worthy cause. Most important thing is that you all enjoyed it.

Wardi - same as you re London. Unfortunately I feel my return to London will have to wait another year.

That's a big week TR. If you're running around the 8 min mile mark that's plenty of hours on your feet.

Run/walk with the other half yesterday and then a run around the garden to round the week up to 25. My best week in a long time.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I always looks forward to DanA  unconventional VLM day (Vomiting last year). If this was 2019, 1 more sleep to the big day. 
    SJ - Great effort, well done to you all.  
    Good to see Crab, ES and TT post - good to see your back at it ES. All crossed for Oct 4th. 
    Suspect a few people ran lock-down marathons y'day, my running mate did.  Not for me, a leisurely slightly hungover 14m trail run in the sun to bring-up a weekly 55m.