Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I wasn't comfortable reading your earlier post either, Ric. I would be most upset if I were Bus.
    Generally I try only to write what I would be prepared to say to someone's face. You have lots to offer the thread, for example your thoughts on shoes, insoles, orthotics the other day, and your views about the present virus. Please don't spoil it for others or yourself!

And hope you are ok Bus! I would not expect to come onto what I consider is by and large a mutually supportive thread and be lambasted! EDIT: missed your post, Bus! A strong response!

We can all have differences of opinion but they need to be expressed in a constructive way. 

And I agree with you, SG, I see no point in you running a flat out 5k (or anything flat out) at present: you have already had one scare to your system in recent years and I for one am particularly concerned about not damaging my own immune system, and I think you are wise to think the same, if I understand you correctly.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Uncalled for Ric. Drop the superior smug attitude & personal attack comments. Stick to the interesting observations on training, diet & shoes as they have worked (or not) for you.
    Got out for 20K this afternoon. It was on my lockdown 10M route with an extra out & back at the bottom to up the mileage slightly. Steady/easy for the most part but hit the 2 hill segments hard. First climb (200m@13%) was too soon & I only managed 71s vs my 70s PB the second came after 11K: 1300m@7%. I knocked 24s off my PB but my 7:25 is still a long way from the 6:20 CR!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Aley - more that im in base mode, but that's another good reason now you mention it!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    But you wouldn't be in base mode if wasn't for the virus, SG, so may have things at the back of your mind!

And Jools, don't forget you ran a marathon recently...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    True. Would have had at least another half or 10m and then would probably have gone to short sharp work.

But seems pointless to have that stage now, with no track access and limited to singles.
  • Simon, I'm glad to hear you're back to the fast stuff after the niggle - hopefully you're seeing the back of it now.

SG, definitely sounds like you enjoyed your excel course :D

Some solid 5kms out there, Pete (x2), Wool and Reg!

How's the foot keeping Bus?

I've been on base-work for the last week and a half, with all runs slower than 8:00/mi - trying to keep the HR low and so reduce impact on the immune system. I'm still in the process of clearing some illness away, likely a cold, that's had me feeling on-and-off weary. I do enjoy a monster about, and would relish a time-trial, but not sure I want to go too hard during the current situation given that I likely ran my immune response down the other week. It's always been a bit of a tightrope when it comes to balancing intensity and not getting ill.
    Looking forward to reaping some benefits from the base work though!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

MH- ran it past an accountancy type pal who uses it ferociously, and told him about the bits I'd learnt and his reply?

"WTF have you been using it for until now, A1+A2"

:D:D

You were only doing what sounded your keenest paces for years a few weeks ago - but in all ways totally the wrong time to peak.

Am happy to tick over with a few 1-2min bursts at a decent lick rather than any full on stuff.

That and a tempo a week.

• Just you wait until you venture past macros and VBA into the world of data-scraping with Python ;) oh the possibilities!

Oh absolutely, you're right there. It's easy to lose sight of the wood for the trees when you're enjoying pushing the effort! Although it has made me realise I can do my easy days easier.

Saying that, it's not wholly running-based. It's about balancing different stressors - at the moment there's high work and life stress (not helped by having no sofa to lounge on - still no update!), which has ruined my sleep quality over the last few weeks. Just gotta ride this out then crack on again!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Let's take it easy son, I think VBA will be my limit of tech.

Although I did look at some basic coding one for a few seconds then thought - behave.

I've seen a lot of talk of how fit everyone will be after this period, but this game is about long term consistency isn't it, not booting a few higher mileage weeks out as you temporarily don't have to go to work, or are on furlough.

Can you maintain it in "normal" life.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, ive cut back, and im still working anyway.
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    My arse is getting sore contemplating those rides.  Some good 5k time trials there.  A solo 5k for time is my vision of hell - I find continuous tempo runs hard enough.  I suppose we don't like what we aren't good at.  I'd be better off with the professional footballer 5k, where the 5k takes an elapsed hour to run.

Yesterday, I did a session of easy run, mobility, drills and then 3 * (3 * 10m - 40m) where the 10m is max acceleration from press-up position and then the speed is held for a further 30m.  Then weights later on.  Legs can feel it today which is a good sign.    

I've been hearing rumours of a shale school track that can be used at the moment which is "always empty".  Opinions on the morality of driving 30 minutes to use it?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I don't drive at all at the moment and won't even drive to a track 5miles away as it's properly locked down shut up.

The gov did say you can drive to exercise if the exercise is longer than the drive!
    Though not sure something like driving 3 hours to a mountain and climbing it for 4 hours is in the spirit of things 😇
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of driving to the Lakes and then doing a Bob Graham on the basis of that advice :wink:

Very impressive cycling numbers there Joe!  Moraghan is right about the arse though!

My foot is still a bit swollen and sore today, disappointingly, so might have to wait another day before running - we'll see how it is later! Looking out the window, there are worse days to not run!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That sounds like my idea of hell Moz.
    Sorry to hear your BG will have to wait Bus - damn blackthorn
    :s 
    I got up early again this morning & did a hilly HM in the rain. 6 laps of the route I scoped out just before my solo marathon so 13.6M & 1920' of climbing. Legs really not happy. Certainly couldn't muster any pace but I guess that's the 14 rather than 24hr recovery & the segment chasing yesterday. Haven't needed gloves for weeks so didn't even think about them til I was already running. The wet n windy weather meant I was soon regretting that oversight.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yep..id still be down struggling to do the push up..let alone bouncing into a sprint.

Bus - no rush. We'll keep the drama going on here to distract you until then 😇

That's no less than we'd expect of you Jools. Keeping the dream alive.

Went off for a 10 with my 6mile "zone slower than hmp" tempo.

Didn't know what to expect after a 6.10 two weeks ago and 6.24 windy as heck last week.

Went slightly further out on the two week ago route to add a tiny bit more elevation to reduce the net down gradient a bit. But in hindsight if anything it took out a bit of the slight climb coming back the other direction late on.

After 4m wu and some bush action, i set off and shocked to see a lace lapping against my shoe 😱.

Was about 0.3m in so a little too much to start again but not enough where a break would screw the exercise.
    18 sec tie up job watch stop and back into it
    6.08-6.09-6.09-6.15,6.12,6.04

Hard work near the end.

Not the totally treacle wind of last week, but a bit more than week 1.
    Couple of slowdowns to go round cars at junctions and about 85 feet down across the 6miles.

So arguably, you can counter wind and the slow downs against the overall elevation bias and equal them out? Never an exact science is it and it's why we do tempos out on the road where possible.

Bang on quick end zone. That'll do nicely son.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Some of those splits actually rounded up...so minor correction :)

6.09-6.09-6.09-6.16-6.13-6.05  - still a 6.10 average.

When it pings up on the watch i'm sure it just gives the unrounded number, hence me remembering what pinged on the watch..

so 6.08.75 comes up on the watch as 6.08... etc

As you were ;)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    SG - those quarter seconds are very important :smile:   NIce splits....

Jools,  reassuring to see you are actually human after all :wink:  The weather has been a shocl to the sytem today - and I haven't even been outside yet!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    gloves, coat, hat for me today. Wish I'd put leggings on as that might have prevented the nettle stings. It was one of those showers where your hands burn as the sensation comes back in to them. All quite a shock really. Stay in Bus!!

I've lost the plot a bit after the 5km TT on Saturday, I can't find any focus. Ridiculous!! I expect that I'll focus on running easy on some nice routes until the urge to do something more structured returns again. I'm also missing running in company even though I never really do that that often. 

nice running SG, thanks for the update on the splits  B)  You might want to take your car out for a spin to make sure it's still willing to go when it's back to skool day 1.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah i did have a sudden worry about appearing a blagger ..hence the explanation on strava and the splits😂

Don't wanna be oneof those jokers who claims a run is casual yet has stopped for 20mins
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff chaps 

You love some data SG....you are in good shape, youd smash a 5k TT. If i felt the need to have run at race pace in training before i could race (or TT) id never race. But i get your appehension.

I did 9m today in a deliberate LT 10m way.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You rebel TR :smile:

It was chilly today Wool - like February again!   Decided to get out tonight (and nice of the rain to soften up the trails for me!). Played it by ear, didn't go too far from home and managed 5 miles. No real dramas. Little bit uncomfortable at the end, but still better than this morning when I got out of bed and certainly no more swollen than before.  

It's a weird injury to deal with as it's not mechanical and as intuitive as a muscle or tendon issue.  Unsurprisingly, my right leg was giving some strange grumbles in protest at having to do all the work the past few days!

Proof of the pudding will be tomorrow of course.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    what what a fun read back that was 😂 I do love a good Ric drama, not sure why Bus ends up in the cross hairs all the time, he is one of the thread nice guys after all!

I am one of the infantile ones that gets competitive pretty much all the time, if someone overtakes me and I don’t have a race the next day, I am engaging race mode with no apologies. The reason is that I absolutely love it. 

Sometimes when I overtake a proper cyclist we form an impromptu two-up and take turns to sit on the others wheel, the first person to turn off normally says “cheers, enjoy the rest of your ride.” It’s not insulting at all and you actually get a slight aero benefit from having another bike behind you. 

Joe - Impressive zwifting and FTP, your riding is very strong these days. Zwift just offered me a nudge to 336w FTP on tonight’s ride 😉 Ride would be good, we could do a meet-up on Zwift or enter the same race might be fun. Handy 5k there too. 

Talking of 5k, I’m confused SG, are you doing the 5k or not 😉

Pete, I’m not surprised the second one was slower, can’t believe you can do another so soon!

Wise words And great training all round from everyone, never seem so many likes and agrees! 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I make no apologies to anyone. I don't have to.

The reason I came here was to add to training knowledge, not to cuddle up to other guys.

It's a Runners World internet thread. That's all. Big deal.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sweaty one today. Not even particularly warm.

8 done at "working day hours" early...7.10 pace. Enjoyed it when i was at peak of the route and only way was down!

PowerPoint one dayer today.

See what that's like.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    RicF said:

The reason I came here was to add to training knowledge, not to cuddle up to other guys.

There's a big difference between "cuddling up" and threatening people!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Ric, would you say you've been sticking to adding training advice lately?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    RicF said:

There's a big difference between "cuddling up" and threatening people!
    I've never threatened anyone. Ever. Anywhere.

However, there's a hell of a difference between what I was suggesting and you actually having fights and face offs with people in public. And more than once too. That's real shit, not a spot of typing.

Unlike the majority of your supporters around here, I've met you, and more than once. 

My words are one thing (though here words are everything). But your actions as you've revealed on this thread are a whole different level all together.

That Dwarf story. People laughed. They thought it funny. It wasn't anything of the sort. It was a disgraceful episode. And you caused it.

That guy was minding his own business. You were on the way home from another crap day at work. Running in pain as usual, fuming and frustrated, as usual. And to make matters worse, up ahead there's someone in your way walking a dog (small).

You don't like people do you Bus. They are just obstacle's in your way, to be negotiated lest they hinder your progress.

So you call out a greeting which was heavily loaded with sarcasm. Basically, get out of my way. Knowing that if you got the chance, you would give the dog a good kick because you felt like it. You hate dogs with a passion.

So the guy moves out of the way, makes mention of his dog. The dog picks up on your manner, but all it does is bark a bit and get too close for it own good, so you put the boot in.

It wasn't attacking you. It wasn't and didn't take a piece out of your leg either.

The owner was quite understandably upset by this, and so it all kicked off. 
    And you manufactured a story to make it sound like it was nothing to do with you.

Subsequently, the tribal loyalties which are a factor on this thread, all closed ranks and declared it the funniest event of the year.

And you guys think I'm out of order?

------

Oh and behind this latest instalment from me, was my view concerning an aspect of cycling to which I take a dim view.

The exception is an area to which Reg and Joe are party to, which is sheer ability and application. I mean today, I gave a slightly hilly twenty odd mile route of mine about 99.9% full gas. 19.4 mph average.

Compared to most riders out there, I'm no slouch, but I tell you, when guys like these two go by, they stay by.

I wouldn't have the audacity to get involved with guys of this level, even if I could.

Doubt if I could hold two hundred Watts for more than a couple of minutes. Says it all. Forget it. Different league.

So when abilities like that meet, of course they are going to have an amusing tussle. They both know they are in the pantheon of real bikers. 

All guys like me can do is watch them pass and ride out of sight - quickly.

🙂

• Ric, I really don't understand what you're trying to achieve by continuing to jibe Bus? You claim to not threaten, but you constantly taunt. That is an undesirable characteristic.

If you take issue with the "tribal loyalties" on this thread, given we're not here to try and cause conflict or seek to assassinate character, then it's clear you belong on a different type of forum.

You do have occasional pearls of wisdom, but you let yourself down with a lack of decorum.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That is one incredible spin on Bus' encounter with that angry short man with the aggressive dog... Wowzers! 

There's some pals on this thread of course and people i haven't met. But we generally afford them respect. You've had cracks at me before(often late night stuff, edited at times - i saw the originals) but we've in general had a decent ride over the years.
    No idea why youve suddenly come in angry on your latest return?

The last time you caused such mass condemnation was your actually "disgraceful" comments to Scott. You apologied that time. Often you just disappear for months until it blows over. 

If you don't like this thread, perhaps set up a "Ric's training gems" one, and see how that goes.