Sub 3

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the family TM mara SJ. Great that lockdown has made running a more of a family affair.
    Nice vest ES Hope you've got a matching hat ;)
    Hungover 11M on roads & trails for me yesterday to bring up 45M in my recovery week.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Tr - Great miles as ever - what is an Andy Pandy runner??

SJ - A fair accomplishment that Tready relay.

Been to the Red Lion once after my first sub 3 and got carried out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i hope the takeaway was good, mine has come back so i might pay a visit next weekend.

Menn - just a comment on the sheeps new vest, its the sae as Andys.

13m today
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. yes yummy as always - mix of bhaji, naans and nice curry/rice.  Nice people too with a good reputation.  Good miles today BTW.
    Menn.. never been carried out of a pub, sounds like a cracking celebration though. 😔
    Jooligan.. I meant to say enjoyed your pics from last weekend, congrats on the Hans solo effort.

30.5m on the bike today.  Discomfort from my niggle has gone so may try another test run soon.
  • Great effort on the tready SJ.

I have to say I wasn't tempted at all to attempt 26.2 on Sunday.  I'm sticking to running around the garden every morning and bagging the occasional golf course - two in one run on Saturday.  I reckon there's 9 within 3 or 4 miles as the crow flies, so a few more to go.  The Ryder Cup course at Walton Heath is on the list for next weekend.

My gear from Tokyo arrived this morning.  T-shirt, number, chip, post-race runners robe and even the thermal blanket.  And a glossy map of the Tokyo subway.  I can almost pretend I ran it. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I only had one pint Wardi - passed out onto a table of booze :s - Good luck with the tester.

An easy side of steady 8 for me today.
  • Thanks all, still the glow of accomplishment on their faces, just need to harness that and keep the encouragement flowing from my side. 

TT - see you on starva so know you are still keeping things honest. it certainly would be awesome for the revised London date to go ahead. I note Manchester is taking entries again but it's going to be busy as its scheduled for same day as Mcr half. 

OO - again, ticking along nicely. I've just about got back to that sort of maintenance mileage after some indifferent months since downing tools effectively in January. New job didnt help. 

RJR - a mini milestone of sorts then with the weekly mileage. Easy does it now. 

TR - thanks buddy for the saintly donation ! Top man. A nice weekly total again with all those double digit runs. Are you still commuting to work to get these in? 

Wardi - we almost went back for another curry 72 hours after our first, we missed it so much. Glad yours was similarly well received. 

CD - there will be a few with collectors items running around of races that never were. 

Menn - at least you made it into the Red Lion. I've only ran London once in 2009 and made it to the opposite side of the road where I saw Marigold puffing away on his cigar with his bleached hair only to go into massive cramps. Ended up needing a wheelchair to St John's tent. I didnt enjoy that race at all. Felt tough at halfway and battled home in 2.58. Should have much quicker. Maybe I'll get to that pub and see all your smiling faces in October. 

Jooligan - seems to be a fair amount of boozing going on from folks. I'm trying to limit myself by only buying 4 packs but it is a regular 4 pack, mainly weekends so its not really working lol. 

As already mentioned, just trying to do the necessary at this end for the next few weeks/months. If I can build and hold a base I will be delighted. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Definitely weather for running rather than biking down here now Wardi. Hopefully you can get back to it. Glad you enjoyed the snaps & a good takeaway curry.
    Only boozing at weekends SJ as is pretty standard for me unless I'm racing the next day. Even that doesn't always restrain me. Usually have a few on Friday or Saturday night then one maybe two on the next as hair of the dog. Waited til Sunday night on marathon weekend though & then stayed dry til Saturday.
    I got up early & did some much neglected stretching/S&C before 'work' then did 20K of hilly tarmac n trails yesterday after 'work' including smashing myself on a 1300m@7% hill segment.
    I got up early again this morning & did a hilly HM in the rain. 6 laps of a route I scoped out just before my solo marathon so 13.6M & 1920' of climbing. Legs really not happy. Certainly couldn't muster any pace but I guess that's the 14 rather than 24hr recovery & the segment chasing yesterday. Haven't needed gloves for weeks so didn't even think about them til I was already running. The wet n windy weather meant I was soon regretting that oversight.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Wardi -- sorry you're niggled, even if it is the best time in history to be injured...

Very much missed seeing you regulars at the Red Lion.

Haven't popped in for a bit but I have a race report of sorts -- I did my own thing on Sunday and a club committee guy picked it up and asked if they could have a piece for the newsletter. Having crafted the prose, I might as well inflict it on you guys (the names and places won't mean so much, sorry):
    ---------
    I've been privileged to run the last 10 London Marathons, always my favourite day of the year, but this spring it just wasn't going to happen. But I couldn't let the date pass unmarked. I still had the endurance in my legs, though also a couple of extra kg of lockdown ballast on my person.

It wasn't just me on Sunday – I almost did the same as Jon Anderson by going for a 26.2 mile blast up and down the busway to get my missing VLM fix. But after some deliberation, I thought I’d be a bit topical by attempting my first ever Strava art, entitled "Covid nurse-angel with hat and mask" aka "Not the London Marathon". Though to be honest the end result could have been called "Cackling Monster from Ghostbusters".

Wearing the most stylish item of clothing I own -- a genuine Giulio Fashion vest from a Chariots of Fire relay long forgotten -- I set off from near home on Newmarket Road at 9 am, and drew the fiddly face mask and hat by criss-crossing Coldhams and Stourbridge Commons, slowed a bit by a gate, fence, switchbacks, bumpy ground and the railway bridge steps. Remember those when you hear my time…

Completing my angel's cheek down Barnwell Road, a woman in an inflatable unicorn costume came the other way, clearly missing London even more than me as a charity runner. I yelled my hearty support, and she blasted back enthusiastically with her whistle. I hope she was nearly finished, it was getting to be a warm one.

Out to Cherry Hinton and around Fulbourn next to trace my figure's outstretched left arm, keeping my pace brisk but a bit below race HR -- I didn't want to damage myself, but did want to fire up the engines a bit for some sense of occasion. Then through the Addenbrookes site and on to Trumpington, skipping around a bit to maintain social distance by Byron's Pool, as I traced the angel's legs.

Twenty miles in going up Trumpington Road, who should obligingly step off the pavement to give me my 2 metre space than Giulio Cinque himself. "Check out the vest!" I yelled. With his eye for fashion, naturally he already had…

Past the track and up the Coton Footpath next to sketch the right arm, back along Madingley Road in reality but in my head it was all The Embankment. By this time my HR was well up but I wasn't inclined to slow down, I could already taste the London Pride cached in the fridge, always my first post-marathon drink in the Westminster Red Lion using the VLM voucher. I completed my loop, overshot and doubled back a little to get 26.22M on my watch, and stopped it -- at 3 hrs and 1 minute. Damn. Remember the slow bits early on?

I've never sought sponsorship for London; everyone knows I'm doing it anyway, and I wouldn't want the pressure to keep running if I was injured before or during. But for this escapade, I sponsored myself for Practical Action, who are welcome to the train fares and pub rounds we didn't get to spend this weekend; their sanitation work is going to matter a lot in this crisis. If you're interested, see https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CharlieWartnaby1 .

PS It's Monday today. My legs are quite well down the DOMS scale (OK walking down alternate stairs, no handrail). I think I got it about right.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3355628627
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4840205498

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds yummy wardi

SJ - currently running either before or after work (from work) rather thsn commuting, and therefore dont have to carry anything.

CW - i had you pencilled in for a virtual mara, nice one. Pick a slightly faster route for Oct 4th.

9m here, in a deliberate LT 10m way, i need to bresk that habit.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Reminded me of  rent a ghost CW - Cracking effort. B)

Home made curry here tonite. Happy Days.

TR - 9 at LT?? or have i got it wrong. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - yum......Less Than....sorry im used to technical jargon rather than running jargon.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Very inventive and impressive CW, super solo effort. I thought Ghost busters.
    CD nice bit of post to get, hopefully on for 2021. 
    Jooligan wet n windy, sunshine here on a pleasant 7 miles around Polzeath on the coastal path with the pooch and my older son. But you've recovered well from your marathon. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done CW. Nice artwork & cracking training marathon.
    Sounds lovely OO.
    After yesterday's monster climbing I opted for one of my flatter lockdown routes for this morning's pre-'work' jaunt. As I live 3/4 of the way up the highest hill in the Forest actual flat is not an option but I can run down to the Wye Valley then along the river road before a tough climb to finish. Legs felt better for the 24hr recovery but after some strides & a flat out 300m effort about half way in they started to tighten & the final climb was a slog. Another 11.4 in the bank.
  • So close to a solo sub 3 Charlie! What an effort and big fan of the strava art.
    Fortunate to see some sun yesterday OO, weather well and truly turned here but fortunately I've already got a tan i'd be proud of at the end of the summer let alone in April.
    Jooligan , it might not always seem like it but you're fortunate to have those hills. Since I've moved to the midlands the maximum climbing i've managed in a run is less than 800 feet and that was a 20 miler. 

Ticking over here. Feeling stronger on my exercises and no pain (touch wood).  
  • Wardi I had my ears lowered last decade.  Everything in moderation.  TBH I'm feeling pretty smug right now with all the Des Drummond fros turning up on my ZoomBox. Finally my master Barnet plan comes to fruition.  Feel silly now eh?

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane.

As we are.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    If this lock down stays err, locked down for a while I can see mullets, bubble perms and Lynyrd Skynyrd cuts being all the rage again Crab.  Still a full mane here too so we may as well toss it around while we have it eh.
    Nice marathon and portrait mapping Charlie.. good pace too given a few obstacles along the way.
    SJ.. I'm drinking slightly less post lock down simply due to the fact I can't go to the pub.  Picked up 20 bottles of Bud for £10 today however so may down have a couple later.
    Some decent miles being banked TR, Menn, Jooligan

It was dry most of yesterday here so managed to get a chilly ride in before evening showers arrived.
    5m test run this morning, first run in 9 days which I enjoyed.  I'm not completely cured yet but it is much improved on last week.  I have a feeling it is nerve related so once we can visit folk again I might seek an appointment with the physio who cured me last time.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff jools, you're going to be strong!

Wardi - shame you're not healed yet, Bud isnt on my preferred list, its a bit flavourless but any port in a storm......ive been running the trimmers over my bonce as usual.

Higjlight of the week today with 10x3min.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    gonna get my missus to tidy up my bonce - looking a little too androgynous for my liking.

Jools - I feel your pain ive got a 7 mile rcovery today which, unless I do a shuttle run (No) or drive somewhere will involve 500ft of elevation

Wardi - Your doing it right, hopefully it will turn the corner soon - Im Still managing the Achilles, it isnt improving nor degenerating so ok.

10 x 3 mins is a nice session TR - Always strikes me as one of those you can really look to push the last few reps and not be done in at the end. 

A 7 recovery for me after a bailed session yesterday - 8 alternating HMP and MP - managed 6 before the wind and my mind got too much. Beasted myself back up the hill once out of the wind so not bad all in all.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey menn, i could cope with 8m mp or 4 hmp but not mixing them like that.

Cold and wet 8m today yo bring up 303 for Apr, solid enough given a few non running days and reduced long runs etc
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    It was quite hard to get the separation TR - Supposed to be around 20 secs a mile difference but found it difficult to slow down pace then pick it back up a mile later.  Great mileage btw - 237 for me.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    That's great mileage guys. Good to see the motivation in lockdown is still high.

8 miles yesterday to make it 70 for the month. It was the reset month I needed. onwards and upwards.

I caught a bit of the runners world podcast where one of the presenters was talking about the 3/4 distance world record challenge. So could you beat any running world records if you were only covering 3/4 of the distance. I ran through some of the numbers this morning and think the 5k might be the most achievable. 3.75k in 12:30 anyone?
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Cheers all!

RJR -- 3/4 the distance is 3/4 the speed, or 75 "points" on PowerOf10. So if you sort your performances like this, you can see which would have made the grade. For me, I could have done some until 2018, but after that my legs just got too slow:
    Wardi -- we have Budvar in the fridge too, so I'm kind of with you... good luck with the niggle.

• runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ah that's interesting Charlie, thanks. Guess this would work if the races were handicapped but you were still running the same distance. In days gone by I was very close to 75% at parkrun (not sure if that's parkrun WR or 5k) but presumably could have run quicker than that over 75% of the distance? 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Keep baking that cake TR, it's a helluva cale at the mo. Jooligan you must have had a cracking month too!  Menn - 237 is pretty decent too.  Upwards and onwards RJR
    164 miles in my slightly injury impacted April, the notable runs were not the faster ones but the scenic ones in the country or by the sea.    Hopefully, a few more this month, especially if the weather stays good and work continues to be far quieter than normal. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That session was brutal menn. 237 is decent, shows you are managing your achilles.

OO - its a great time to be able to do some of your coastal running. Im avoiding ours as it will be rammed.

8m here. Im trying to keep a decent amount going for as long as we can,  i have anothet flipping bday next week so cant slack off too much. Im pinning my hopes on some smaller races later in the year.
    Got an email today telling me Brighton 2021 entries open next week, tricky game to play as they might have to roll over all of 2020s entrants yet.

I have also had my Abo oct 2021 place confirmed!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    18m av 7.54, followed by a few hours digging out a fence post, ill hopefully finish the job tomorrow.  
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a good calorie burning combo TR, hope you've got a suitable feast planned.
    Charlie.. when the lockdown started I couldn't find any cases of beer in the supermarkets so sourced some from a local social club that was selling off it's stocks.  That turned out to be Budvar, a slightly weightier version of Budweiser I would say.  If I want something a bit more flavoursome I have a weakness for the Mexican lagers.  Sol in the fridge for tonight. 

Still struggling with the running but 2-3 runs a week is just about manageable.  Will keep with the cycling to compensate, 27m today a bit breezy but dry. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Tidy LR pace TR, the 2 lighter days must’ve freshened you up nicely.
    Good that you can get some running in Wardi, cycling’s fine when it’s dry but miserable in the wet &/or wind. Budvar is the original Budweiser & a far superior drink. Czech lager brewed from grain & decent hops rather than American rice pish.
    302M & 8,950m in April here OO.
    16M for me yesterday with a (not) parkrun after a 1.3M wu. My quickest since lockdown began 😎 Off for another 10 or 11 in a bit.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bloody impressive Jooligan and a decent marathon in that month too!  Your on great form and motivation super high. 
    Cracking LR from you too TR, I really wouldn't expect anything different at the moment. 
    Wardi - Hope the niggle clears up pronto, but running a few times a week and cycling not a bad combo to keep you in shape.
    Not a fan of lager, always go for a IPA/ golden ale myself and so many good ones around at the mo.    
    14m av 7.22 this morning, felt easyish but you know it takes a little bit of doing. Not helped by having 2 sore knees so every step kinda hurt.  I normally would take a few ibruprofen in the week to cool them down but NSAIDS not the best idea with CV19 around. Gonna try the gel and see if that helps.