Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    The trouble is Ric, behind the avatars and forum names are real people with real feelings. This thread in particular straddles the line between something like a large, faceless Facebook group, with its trolls and conflict being all part of the fun (if fun be the word!) and a chat in the pub with like-minded people.

Most of us know each other outside of the thread, or at least it feels like we do. We'll all disagree at times, sometimes vehemently, but ultimately, as Aley put it, the guiding principle should be don't say anything on here you wouldn't say to someone in the pub (relatively sober of course!).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yep Ric. A few times you've made comments about there being "rules" on here.
    There's really not any beyond not being obnoxious. Which is why you've found a thread intervention pulled on you at least twice. 

Plus the general digs at noone in particular most posts.

One last bit on this, as this has hijacked the thread long enough now..

Bus isn't afforded some special status as it's all a big mate's club.
    I know him quite well (as does Phil who isn't really around these days).

But i doubt if he's met anyone else on here more than once or twice max.

Bus is afforded his reputation as he's been a solid, encouraging poster for years.

Many a poster has been welcomed onto here over the years irrespective of knowing them before, being local or anything else.

Maybe time for another lurker amnesty.

Anyone out there wanna say hello?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Maybe Colin can come out of hiding to calm things down.
  • Ric, the fact that the discourse occurs on an internet forum (somewhat impersonal and distanced) rather than in a face-to-face conversational manner does not excuse your behaviour. In fact, suggesting that "person number two" appears in social media environments is rather infantile. Grow up and conduct yourself in a decent manner; accept responsibility for the fact you were out of order and don't try to blame an internet personality.

That's the last I'll put in on the matter, to save it being strung out any further.

Had an interesting chat with my coach yesterday, basically that there are several approaches to managing training in these time. He's got some athletes that are cutting back drastically (i.e. 100 mpw to 30 or so) due to races now being a moving target, and a way to reduce stresses. Others have opted to build base ready for some summer sharpening, but he has a few that seem to be keen to pile the miles in to make the most of the time they have.
    Of course, training is individual, but we had a chat about what I want to look at doing over the next few months. We've pencilled a few October fixtures in, should they go ahead, to slowly build towards - keeping an eye on overall intensity to not overdo it, but there will be frequent time trials :D Funny how just a chat can get you invigorated again.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yes MH, aiming for hopefully an autumn campaign looks a decent plan.
    Some of my club are booting their mileage up..some out of boredom. But others finding extra time from no commutes etc.

I suppose i "could" use it as a chance for experimenting with higher mileage. But in truth i think mid 60s as singles is enough of an experiment.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Maybe Colin can come out of hiding to calm things down.
    Perhaps Colin is Ric?!

cosmo kramer mind blown GIF

Mr Francis will return in a few months with similar content; he's no other outlet for his superciliousness.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What a superb word 😄

And anyone who has ever posted on any sort of forum knows, anyone posting that they're off for good always returns.

10.5 today. Started raining heavily just before a hill. Just to make it an even more bleak undertaking.

However by about 7miles it was nice. Peak elevation, rain gone and choice of either down some woods for 9.2 and have to make it to 10, or a little further out and more than 10. Latter won
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    The amount of times my mother told me to 'wipe that supercilious look off your face,' I think she could tell by my facial reaction that I knew she didn't know what it meant.

Weather looks vile, think it's a good day for an indoor Zwift race. Referring back to Matt's post, I prefer to take on the challenges available now rather than preparing for some future race of unknown date.

Perhaps I am evil but am I the only person that hates all this Captain Tom shite? 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the detail TR. Look forward to your Garmin data - probably find all those comfortable runs have been faster than you realised.
    Good riddance Ric - It's been (mostly) an absolute displeasure.
    Wise Reg. You're in great shape so make the most of it. Re Capt Tom: he's a decent bloke doing his bit & fair play to him however I hate that our NHS has to be funded by centenarians doing sponsored walks & that the media circus have lavished so much attention on this rather than holding to account those responsible for mismanaging our country's response to this pandemic. Capt Tom didn't raise £30 million by walking round his garden the media created a 'Diana' phenomenon & most people have slavishly bought into this for the feelgood factor.
    MH If you've been running 100+mpw all winter I can see the value in having a month at 30mpw to allow the body to recover. Presumably those folk were targeting a Spring Mara & so would have tapered/raced/recovered which would take 4-6 weeks. Now seems the perfect opportunity for building a rock-solid base without the prospect of racing for at least another 10 weeks. Once we know when racing is going to resume it'll be time to sharpen.
    Personally I'm loving the process at the moment - lots of hills & miles with some occasional efforts to spice things up.
    On that note I did another hilly 20K today with 4 segments to attack. CR on the 1st (700m@7.4%), 2nd on the 2nd (840m@-2.7%), 2nd on the 3rd (2.62K@6.1%) & 2nd on the 4th (350m@10%)
    Happy with that set to round off a 302M month in which I've climbed 8,950m so more than Mt Everest from Sea Level B)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep, certainly can't knock a 30m bit of fundraising! You have to trust that goes to the right place though.

Some nice exploring action by the look of those miles and elevations Jools.

When I was "preparing" for my tempo on Tue after a 4mile warm up, I looked round in the field I'd nipped into, and noticed an undulating trail into the distance. I might have a little wander on a run next week, even if it's just a mile out and back. See where it goes, and no I won't be using a map Bus ;)

Today is more the sort of day you have to watch on furlough I think...only got out at about 11.30 or so, and then post bath just had a "quick" semi nap, and now suddenly it's 4pm

Still...for those interested in the Stevie G training course thread subplot...will book at least one more soon :D

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    For clarification it's not Captain Tom that irks me it's the way the media both social and mainstream build him up when he's just a focal point for a lot of generous people who all deserve equal credit. I suspect the money will be used to stockpile PPE equipment and ventilators that will never ever be used!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's the same with the clap thing.   Whilst its spontaneous and heartfelt, that's a good thing, but when the media are telling you you have to do it, and sing happy birthday at 0758 etc etc it doesn't feel like a genuine response and more like one of the former communist states!

Good CR chasing Jools. Bet you'll be back at those 2nds :smile:

In other news, I'm a bit pissed off! My foot is still quite swollen and sore. The GP reckons it may be infected, despite the course of antibiotics. I've now got to try some antibiotic cream for a few days, then if that doesn't work, some super-strength antibiotics.   What's worse is she has told me not to run! Thankfully I'm allowed out on the bike.  Wish I'd got round to getting a Zwift setup myself!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's one particularly bad and totally flukey thing to happen Bus!

Probably doesn't help that running trainers seem to get flimsier in the box end then ever before.

My monster big toe always caused a bit of a hole eventually, but in these current "Knit" Wave riders, there's a small hole threatening 250miles in!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If Ric's reading that last post of yours Bus, I reckon he'll implode! Zwift is a game changer for indoor training and it's kicked on a level now it's so popular, before it felt a bit niche and geeky but now it has a real mainstream feel and there's lots of FB banter and competitions. There are more than 50 people in our club on there now.

Just finished a Crit race, just 10 miles and I joined late so started at the back, race was over before it started. By the time you've worked your way through half the field there's splits and you just can't bridge the gaps solo. Still legs felt good and I was probably the strongest in the group I ended up in. Average 359w for 20 minutes.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Capt Tom ended up as a figurehead for everyone to get behind and it raised loads of valuable NHS money, but agreed it shouldnt need that help. Plenty of folks will clap the carers as folks that vote for Partys that underfund the NHS.

MH - kind of a middle ground then. I agree that its a good time for base especially for folks like Jools that race loads usually. Base doesnt have to be all easy either.

Jools - i might have been underestimating my mileage for years !

I did a cold and wet 8m today, for 303 for April, which is solid off reduced long runs etc and a few non running days.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You'll probably be a bit closer from what you reckon to the actual than i used to be TR.

I had a 4miler that was actually 3.5 and the 8 was a 7 . Not too big a problem in the days only doing button mileage, no idea on paces and football being the main sport.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Yes I only clapped for Col. Tom tonight. You know my feelings on the whole matter from a few days ago. Suffice to say I will not be clapping next week!

Matt - hard to know what to do at the moment - speed stuff off as there's no track season - and building base for the winter season that's months away.

SG - Liking the Garmin just to tell me the distances I'm doing and pace. And did some measuring tonight of the square field (just 5metres over 1k) and the path around the lake (nearly exactly a mile!) sorted! Just what I wanted it for...no need to join Strava ;)

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Simon, I was thinking of your words as I couldn’t face going out to clap this evening. I live in a fairly nice street in Windsor, full of ageing Tory voters who now think nothing of shaming folks on the local WhatsApp group for not clapping. The hypocrisy. I’m secretly hoping that one of them will call out this loony lefty so that I can start an argument over the internet. Oh, hang on...

Bit of running, bit of zwifting for me in the last few days. Got stuck in a park in Slough the other morning as the gate was locked. It happened to me the other day as well and I scaled the fence. Looked up this time and thought I must have been quite mad, turned round and added 2 miles to my run instead!!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If I'd've realised it was that close I'd've gone the extra mile this morning TR ;) To be fair the heaviest rain was coming down as I came back in to the village after the longest climb but with only 9.4M on the clock I had to carry on with the plan & do another 5K.
    This was us at 8pm today
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

On that powerpoint course, someone mentioned watching a presentation once where someone had used the sound effect of applause on every click! Woke people up apparently.

10 today, with 8x90sec effort, 90sec jog.

For some variety I wanted to see what it'd be like doing the effort parts running up the slight incline of the old Wycombe half marathon route between Bourne End and Wycombe.

Only talking 20-30 feet per mile stuff, so you feel like it's flat, but that builds over a few miles for sure.

Instead of a customary dull out and back, I decided to get to the peak of the old Wyc height, and back down and then start the efforts.

Treadaway hill is damn steep, but only about 0.5mile, but I did that a week or so ago, so up through some woods for a slightly less steep version, but longer, and to be honest a fair bit slower, as even on max elevation, the woods sapped a bit.

Eventually down the massive steep Chapman lane and on, and 4.5mile warm up done.

It "Felt" like I did the first couple of reps around 5.40 sort of mix, and then they gradually slowed a bit until the last one pepped up.

But looking at the watch after, all 8 have come out at 0.26miles, and thus 5.46.

I suspect there's some sort of lack of variation thing at play here, as it seems very odd they'd all be the same. Maybe some sort of round up versus a roundown thing?

May just have been looking at the current pace at different times, or maybe the first few weren't into wind, as the wind was stronger later on..

But anyway, served the purpose it needed to, and I had "that" feel near the end of rep 8, where you feel like the stomach is going to blow. But doesn't and no "Number 2" needed since, so just an exertion thing I think.

The watch showed the whole run was something like 1.11.30 which was interesting to be slower than "normal" 10s at one pace, but I suppose you add in the real trudge woods mile in the 830s plus very slow jog recovery, and a couple of laces tied up and it's clear.

What I didn't realise, although it now sounds silly, is that "Moving time" is a literal "Moving". I'd presumed it was a "watch running" thing.

I'd stopped to do my laces a couple of times outside of the reps, and also was down on my haunches for a bit after rep 8, but hadn't stopped the watch.

Can probably turn that off, but either way not a big thing. But just shows in effect there's no odds between stopping your watch or not for a pee or a laces job.

Or like one of the Dashers a regular unexplained 10-20mins difference!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Quite a bit of hail today, glad I wasn't out in that :)

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, fairly inclement :)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    We look set for a dry spell now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The shepherds crook got him?
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    f**king leg. 8 again this morning, not great. Going to try to alter my slouching infront of the TV, it's not helping. Some reps tomorrow with the Hokas I think.
  • Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the leg Si. 

Reg/Jools, you capture my sentiment exactly. Using claps and Capt. Tom to hide the fact the government isn't being brought to account for its failings. Geddon the ol' chap for the laps of his garden though (Capt. Tom, not BoJo around Chequers...)

Little bit of a reintroduction to speed today, with 5 x 5mins progression. Chose an undulating out-and-back through town, as it should be quiet (although a few more people around than I had anticipated). Kept it honest, going 7:17-6:57-6:45-6:25-6:04 /mi. The come of the changes were a bit bigger than I'd planned (~15s each one) but got the sharp part in too, which ended up being slightly uphill. That'll do nicely for now, didn't feel as though I was working too hard at the end.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice little progression there Matt.

Take it easy Simon. Don't force it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And just as you think the world can't get any more strange...

Doesn't sound good Simon - fingers crossed you can work out the cause and get back to your bullet proof self with a wee bit of caution and stretching...good luck.

SG - good session,  and downhill on Chapmans is a bit of a quad destroyer, but stopping to do our lace is definitely cheating :wink:

Foot is making progress possibly so feeling slightly more positive. Went for a bike ride early evening - every type of weather imaginable and the roads were covered in crap! A nice slippery combination of melting hail, pollen, blossom, leaves and gravel!  Needless to say speeds were not high!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Simon - shame you're still having issues

Matthew - sounds a tough session to pace exactly, sounds good fun though.

Bus - sounds like you'll be able tonrun a bit more soon then.

18m followed by a few hours digging out a fence post, good job i did the run first.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice TR - sounds like the sort of thing Iron Joss would do :smile:

27M on the bike tonight. Might try a run tomorrow - fingers crossed :smile: