Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That's great, MsE. Just over 180 for me, I think: a drop from previous months but enough to keep ticking over in lockdown
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - sounding positive and glad you've got something to focus on.
    MsE - I am 6'3'', so I need more to fill me up :) Great milestone to pass.
    OO - you are right (see below).
    6 easy miles this morning. Right hamstring is playing up though, maybe on the edge of a strain, so sanity prevails and I am postponing the 12 hour endurance run. MsE reminded me that April has finished, so I have 259.22 miles to report. Clocked up 1,000 miles in one pair of shoes yesterday and I think I may have to retire them after discovering a hole in the sole under my left big toe!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great news MsE, hope you continue round the corner 👍And its lovely yo have you back on the thread.
    Excellent miles Gul, I'm not surprised you are creaking a bit, I'm sure you'll be ok in another week if you keep it sensible 😉
    A humble 170 miles for me with 2 recovery weeks in there.930 year to date so still heading for a big total.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good to see MsE back.  Great determination to come back from the injuries - you're due some good luck, so hopefully you can keep building the training, although racing may have to wait a while.

Sounds promising on the physio DT - hopefully he can get you back training.

Good to hear sanity has won the day Gul.  Recovery and then rebuilding for an Autumn race would be the sensible option.

Good mileage from OO and Jools.

Ticking over here although still battling the niggles.  Maintaining the running streak (currently at 167 days) is helping me get out when the enthusiasm is lacking.  304 miles for April and hopefully a steady 10 miles early evening.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Crikey SBD you really are on it 😳
    I did 19 this morning at 7:54 pace. Quite pleased with that 😇
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Gul got your monies out of those shoes and decent total.
    SBD another cracking total and big streak. 
    0054 not bad for a dodgy hip. 
    Had a bad headache most of the day which started from neck cramp so no running Thursday but got an easy 9 yesterday and scored 153m for a reasonable month. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good running you lot.
    Dropping in as usual to say happy birthday thread, this one and its linear predecessor originated on this day in 2006. Some of the earliest posters are still here. 14 years of success, disappointment, hard work, top racing, injuries, triumphs, travelling the world, setbacks, laughs, support etc etc. Who'd have thought it?  Gul do you have the same shoes as 14 yrs ago?   :)

No running here but cycling at least 100 miles/week so shedding some timber and getting fairly fit again without too much impact. 

Have a good weekend.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Meant to say - hi MsE, welcome back
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wow, another year slips by. Good to hear from you Poacher and take care on that bike 👍
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Don't suppose you've got to the Lakes recently - must be lovely and quiet at the moment.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It would have been Keswick half this weekend Poacher, a week after London Marathon. Hopefully they'll lift the ban soon and we can sneak over and upset the locals 😉

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yes, and time for the kayak to come out...
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - still clocking up some massive miles in spite of the niggles.
    OO - nice long run.
    Leslie - hope your neck is okay now. Good total for April.
    Poacher - great to hear from you. Isn't it your birthday too? Many happy returns anyway. I think the 14 year old shoes may have gone by now (I'm only half Yorkshire) But it will be 14 years since my first ever race on Wednesday I think.
    Resting today and tomorrow. Recorded my first online sermon today ready for tomorrow when I will be 54 years young.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Two Birthdays I didnt know about! Happy Birthday Poacher and Gul 👍
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    It's a birthday weekend!  Happy birthday Poacher and Gul (tomorrow).🥳🥳  Any plans lined up?  I have three spring babies so had to plan to make them a little special since we have been locked down. Luckily they weren't too demanding.

Sounds like you are ticking over nicely Jools

OO - 170 for April with two weeks off is something else! How did you go about building volume? Running every day? I'm using this lockdown as a chance to build slow miles into my week. 19 at sub-8:00m/mi is excellent. Glad hip seems better.

SBD - 10 miles a day for 167 days is impressive. Sometimes I think just rolling out MLRs isn't such a bad way to build resilience and speed for marathons. I know more is needed to get the best out of us but it is certainly a lot simpler than all the different modes of training that make my head ache sometimes.

Speaking of which, I hope your neck ache was temporary Leslie.

An easy 8 with the mutts today.  Super slow while I build volume.  Seem to be a lot of people out.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Who are these babies you speak of MsE? 😉
    I was heavy into marathon training before the lockdown and also knocking out some fast 5k s. Then I lost my mojo a bit and just started pumping out steady daily miles with no focus. Then I tried a solo marathon 3 weeks ago, followed by the injury which hopefully has now passed. I'm planning another solo marathon next week, hopefully below 3:30. After that I'm going to try to get some speed back in the legs. No particular goal in mind other than being ready when parkrun comes back 😉
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good luck Gul and happy birthday. How is the recorded sermon being delivered? I'm sure a huge number of people will come out of this with more creative comms skills.  My day job at the moment is online covid safety training - bit of an eye opener. 

OO you are consistently fit and fast throughout the year. Although note that Greggs was planning to use Tyneside to test reopening of its shops but backed down out of fear that there would be a riot when sausage rolls went back on sale. Stay away!

MsE your determination in the face of injuries etc is really exemplary.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - gardening today and Miss GD the elder made a delicious Victoria sponge. Just relaxing tomorrow as far a I know :)
    Poacher - interesting and valuable work. The sermon is just a video being uploaded to Facebook.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Poacher I'm sure you know that Gregg's is a North East institution. I used to go a lot when they were a proper bakery. Stotties can still be purchased in local branches (if you are lucky), but not much else. Still, you have to admire a business that can adapt so successfully to changing tastes, even if it's not to my taste..
    Take care of yourself. At least the roads will be quieter for your cycling and I bet the beaches up your way are a good deal quieter and looking spectacular 👍

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Morning and HAAAAAAPPPPPPY BIRTHDAAAAAYYYYY (today) Gul! Relaxing and a bit of this I hope ➡️ 🥳🏃🏻‍♂️🎂🥂🍾🎁🎈

Intrigued about online Covid safety training, Poacher. Any tips you can share with us?

OO - I say "babies" but my biggest baby is now 200 lbs and 6'2" and we do things like watch the world record for deadlifting together (501KG yesterday!). Sob.

LOVELY 10 miles today to bring me up to a post-op high of 50 miles this week. I did it on the flat trail where my legs could flow a bit more, although am mindful of keeping a lid on it for now while I build volume. I was thinking how I couldn't imagine getting back to this stage while I was post-op and rehabbing all those years. So I didn't let myself think of it as I would get too down at how far away it was. Moral of the story being: it's never out of your reach, you just have to find the way. 😊

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    14 for me to bring up 45 for the week. Still sticking with 5 runs, 2 cycles and 2 strength sessions per week. Today felt like the first time the strength work has helped rather than hindered me (ie that maybe my muscles are starting to adapt).
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO I was assuming that Greggs had plotted their most profitable sausage roll outlets and found them all in a cluster, suspiciously close to your house  :)

Nice running MsE. That baby is a decent sized unit. As for working online, nothing surprising except that it's considerably more tiring that doing stuff face to face, and needs to be both brief and logically set out. 

40m on the bike this morning brings up 140 for the week. Lots of runners out enjoying the quiet roads.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Happy Birthdays Gul and Poacher.
    MSE 50 is a good week indeed.
    Jools nice to get 14 done.
    Poacher good bit of biking there.

5 mile here middle 3 tempo 6;50, 6:57 and 6;26 not too bad after just getting up from nights and out of bed 10 mins lol. A modest 26m for the week slightly less than planned .......
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good speed on the tempo miles Leslie.

Happy birthday to the thread and Poacher yesterday and to Gul today.  I have to confess to a birthday tomorrow - usually this is an occasion to start a new running campaign after a period of inactivity but I'll settle for a recovery run tomorrow!

Any progress on the running rehab Poacher?

That's a great milestone to have reached MsE - are you still keen to race a marathon and if yes, which one?  Don't worry, I haven't run 10 miles a day for the last 167 days!  I was following P&D up to 15 March (Bath HM) but then, with London postponed, decided to go in to base training mode. Having peaked at 85 miles per week, I've dropped down to 70 miles per week to give the body time to recover.  I still have a bit of structure to the week, so 7.5, 10.0, 12.5, 7.5, 10.0, 7.5, 16.0, but the pace is generally easy. 

Another marathon distance run would be impressive OO.  

16 miles early evening in pleasant conditions.  A bit of a labored run but managed to squeeze under 8:00 min/mile pace.  Gives me another 70 mile week, seven weeks post Bath HM.  I was hoping the body would adapt to the base training and the niggles (right achilles, right calf and left hamstring) would disappear but we're not quite there yet!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - great to hear how far you have already progressed. Keep posting and you will encourage us all.
    Jools - good balance of training and now beginning to pay off.
    Poacher - pleased you can still get out on the bike.
    Leslie - another good turn of speed; coming along nicely.
    SBD - great stuff. That's some going with all those niggles; hope they have gone soon.
    Went out this morning, but the hamstring is still not right. Can't put my finger on what's wrong, but it's only noticeable when I run, so decided to stop and turn around. Will try some massage and a bit more rest. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Gul, best to be cautious.
    Great miles again SBD. I wasnt far behind with 67- 15 yesterday around 8 min pace. I'm pretty stiff today so may take a rest, hips still not right....
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hope that hip is OK soon, OO.
    Watch that hammy, Gul. Rest up for a while, you've had a brilliant campaign recently.
    I've never done a 70 mile week, SBD, yet you knock them out for fun. Nice one!
    Solid tempo, Leslie.
    Great to see you hitting good miles after 2 years of injury battles MsE.

Reduced my miles last week after the Doc said the immune system takes a while to recover after a fight, even though I felt OK initially, I may have still been a little low and caught that little cold last week.

So, just an easy 7 on Saturday (was supposed to be 14) and yesterday had an entry back to some speed work, of sorts. Just a 5 mile course with 10 x 1 min strides with 1 min jog recs. Averaged 7.17 pace and felt good to go a tad quicker. 

The niggly knee felt a tad weak but it feels OK on regular runs. so, the thinking is, do some easy speed work so that it gets used to it and gets stronger along with the specific strength exercises I'm doing.

I'm scared of getting on the scales due to too much lockdown daytime snacking.I feel heavy. So, I've cut out the snacking and today start a 6 week prep programme to be campaign start ready in 6 weeks. Wednesday weigh-ins are back!

Good running conditions this week...
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - nice going.
    GD - good to have a plan. Pleased to hear you're progressing well.
    4 slow miles this morning and glad to report all is well. Will see how it goes this week with some more short easy runs.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good news Gul.
    Don't be a wimp GD. I'm a kilo up but it's taking a huge effort....

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Speedy miles Leslie. Hope creaky bits settle down for you this week, GDSBDGul and OO. I invested in a Theragun and it has been really helpful in getting rid of troublesome niggles.

No clue which marathon I'll aim for but will probably try a softer version on a trail before I race a fast road one SBD.  Some shorter stuff first though.

I think everyone will emerge from lockdown a little softer around the edges with a nation with far fewer blondes and far more middle aged looking folks 😂

Just an easy hilly 8 today.