Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's a busy day TR. A bit of plant watering is plenty for me after a much shorter double digit effort.

Might try a meander out of Wycombe tomorrow towards Stokenchurch. Had a little look at the map, but gave up on that, so we'll just have a wander.

Probably better sticking to an out and back rather than the "dangerous" "this turn MUUUST lead me back the right way" 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    When this is all over SG I'll give you some map reading lessons :smile:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Didn't follow yesterdays shenanigans but good that all seems well again today.

At least our thread is in (near) normal shape again; TR running amazing distances and being so casual about it; Jools irrepresible and doing volumes no-one can match; Bus coming back from another mishap and strong and upbeat as ever; Matt putting in quality sessions and offering top quality comments belying his youth and SG being SG; consistent and quality at both running and running this thread! Only downer is Simon; still putting good training in but you being injured just doesn't happen; hope normal service is resumed soon. 

I might be able to claim the thread mileage prize today though😉 24 miles with my 14 year old daughter even if 20 of them were walking! We did our 'not parkun' locally then walked just over 20 miles from home to Windsor Castle and back. Lovely weather and great area to walk, being mostly in WGP. Legs knackered now though and semi blisters all over feet. Daughter coped with it all well given it was the long type of walk we have only attempted as an all dayer on hols before. Made me even more in awe of the likes of TR and Jools though; how you guys can throw in that sort of distance as a casual run is just brilliant. Took us about 5.5 hours for the 20 or so miles walk. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You have a future in madcap events I'm certain Pete!

15 for me. Went to Piddington for the locals. Which in fairness was just 1.5m out of West Wycombe and then back.
    Over did the fuelling pre hand..weetabix, banana, apple juice and hot tea all conspiring to 💩 effect 6-7mile in.

Less than a min watch off there and eventually a 7.05 average.

Another one of these moderate temps but sweaty conditions job..vest off midway and even about 3mins of rain didn't encourage it back on.

63.5mile week.

Another 2 day training course mid week (Visio) so will probs put a bit less than 10 in those mornings and keep the rest of the week similar to this one.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's a big walk Pete! Sometimes it feels easier to run long distance than walk them.

Nice 15 SG (and thanks for that, just before lunch!)

Managed a run myself this morning now that the swelling has all but gone.  The foot was a wee bit sore, but my right hip and ITB were giving me gyp - typically starting from the furthest point away! I'm guessing it a combination of lots of sitting, cycling and using the right leg a lot more than the left. 

Sp, 10M done, but felt more like 20! Still, glad I did it and the foot isn't at all swollen after, so we'll see how it goes.....
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Nice runs all, glad seems to be no reaction in the heel Bus. Good session MH too. Good walk Pete, I can walk miles with a few tunes in my ears..

TR, great mileage, takes a lot of commitment to do that at the moment - you must really enjoy running..which I wish I could do to, the longer runs have always just been a means to an end. I mean, I do have a few running 'moments' doing miles, but they tend to be somewhere new, like a European City, or a lovely piece of coastline. Compared to trudging round the lanes near me, which can be like torture sometimes. Always 'enjoyed' faster sessions in a training group.

Did a pyramid yesterday - 30 secs, 1min,2min,3mins,4 mins,5mins and back down with 60 secs dreaded Saturday lunchtime running, wasn't to bad wit the compression shorts and Hokas on as normal.

Upped it today on the Sunday trudge...Garmin said 14.67 miles, 6.57 miling. Quite a few hills so a decent workout. Leg felt about the same as when I started, and a couple of times on the downhills couldn't really feel it.So generally positive, will keep rolling it on the black spikey foam roller!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - the body adapts to whatever you ask of it, id be like you after walking for that long too. I struggle to do the long runs if i dont keep them up. I do think long hikes and walks toughen your legs up though.

Simon - good news on the injury improvement. I missed 6 months and then had a very low year through injury about 4 yrs ago, its been a slow grind to get in half decent shape again so im loathe to ease off too much. Ive built my week around marathon type prep for the last 2 yrs, nowadays i can just turn my brain off and tick off miles.

SG - vest off ? I was walking with my wife thus morning in the rain.

Bus - sounds good, hopefully youre ok to keep running now.

2hr walk with the wife, 30mins ccts and then finished the fence ive replaved for my neighbours. Hopefully ill be allowed to walk and run  next sunday after Thursdays review.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Surely there's no chance of going to a more severe lockdown TR? 
    At worst it'd be staying the same surely?

I read a few people rumouring it'd be 2 months from the off but that wouldn't be palatable,  so they split it into weeks in the 3-3 splits we'll have had come Thursday and then let's see if it's another two announced then.

Back in the game Bus.

Same here Simon - long runs never feel a treat. I think some genuinely love them, but I do them to keep in the habit of them.

Especially pre half marathons. Entering one of those certainly gets you out there. However even now ive done a 15 about 6 weeks in a row now and 8 in 10.
    For someone who barely races over 10k yourself though, they must be a right strain.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SG - no, im expecting folks to be allowed out more than once a day after Thursday. So i can walk with the wife and run next sunday.

Long runs are all relative and your body does get used ro the load you place on it. Ive upped the mlrs a bit as 16 long run felt a long way after 10s......at pk id be doing 16 or 17m monday mlr and regular 23 and 24m long runs in rhe last couple of months of mara training.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah - my misreading :)

And now you mention that, when I signed into Microsoft Edge there was something about that... I had the daily briefing on in the background so not sure if something was mentioned there or not.

A lady from my club has gone from about 25 a week to 50,  for a month with seeming ease. Does a lot of it with buggy though, so there must be some sort of safety net with it being a bit slower - and dare I say, "true" easy pace! Helps also being on furlough with no other travel I suppose - makes a big difference to freshness.

Should be a great base to build on in future.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I agree with TR, of course, on the long runs. You really don't have to do too many before they just become the norm. I can normally run 12-14 miles without it being too much of any issue and can ramp-up to 20 over 3-4 weeks. Once you're there then 20 just becomes the norm after a couple. It's amazing how the seemingly impossible becomes the norm quite quickly.

It wasn't like that when I 1st started running though. I distinctly remember the state I was in after some long runs in my early campaigns.

I know I'd be in a state after a 20 mile walk though. My feet would be destroyed! Pop in 'next time' Pete, we're just off the Long Walk!

I saw your Michael Fish stuff on Strava SG. While you were top off, I was still running in gloves on Sunday morning!

Good to see Simon and Bus back at it. Still enjoying the Hoka, Simon?

55 for me last week but no sessions to speak of. Legs still a bit brittle this morning though. 

Looks to me like we'll get a bit of a reduction in the lockdown measures. As a family we don't need too much more freedom really but some cricket fixtures would be good for the boy although it looks to me like the whole season might be off.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Gloves! In May in south England!

I guess we all have our conditioning. I always used to do xc in a vest in the coldest conditions. One time i wore gloves at race effort i knew it was a mistake 200metres in.

I probably feel the humidity stickiness as much as some people feel the cold i suppose. Never a problem in winter although always shorts then. But might need two layers and gloves
  • I got back to running last week - 29 miles or so. All very easy. Two longest runs of 7 miles were quite knackering ! It was interesting in a depressing sort of way to see my vo2max (watch based) having dropped from 68 to 58 during this time out. That's around 15% drop in fitness since the start of March.

Sorry about the infection Bus, hope the antibiotics sort it out.

Everyone else seems to be going great guns.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Just two runs for me last week giving 18 miles, which is actually above my weekly average of 16 miles! I keep saying I am going to increase the mileage but I don't. I'd be happy doing 30 mpw if I can find the motivation.

Better on the cycling front where I am at least averaging just over 100 mpw, quite a lot of hard efforts in there lately too so the old FTP still heading north, two increase last week and now at 341. Initial target was 350 so I hope I can get past that and set a new target for the summer. Need to try and stay ahead of that flat cap wearing endurance machine but it's not easy when he seems to be living on his trainer!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Positive news Muddy - and with you I know your watch based readings have some sort of chance of being accurate unlike mine!

Reg - you've long made your choice, and it's cycling all the way. Makes sense as you're clearly a notch above almost everyone on the bike (Pete keeps telling me this ;) )

Doesn't mean you can't knock out some good run races when we ever can again.

Another same old Monday for me, a weird mix of lazy - doing jack all for most of the day, yet getting a 10miler in.

Will do a bit of Excel practice now though, try and keep the brain ticking over.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Don't make the mistake I made and start using dynamic arrays only to discover you're the only person in the company to have the function installed, redoing it all was tedious.

I've some way to go on the bike but the beauty of cycling is it seems much easier to improve consistently over time even if you have some time off. Running it seems to be lost very quickly.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - well if you go do 3 or 4 runs a week av 9m a time youd be ready to rumble from 1/2 mara downwards.

Wool - how old is yr lad ? Is that club cricket? I used to manage colts teams that mine were involved in, we had some good sides. My youngest was county EPP up until last summer, but got too old, they only kept 1 out of the whole yr, but we never expected him to make it. There wont be any cricket this summer below pro level.

Back on the decent length monday mlrs tonight with 15m.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Had barely used normal arrays let alone Dynamic ones Reggie.

Wasted about 20mins trying to work out how some text was brought in, presuming it was a "clever" way, and then realised it was simply coloured out. Oh well, this is how you learn!

TR, I can't imagine a 15 ever feeling like a medium long run. I really wouldn't fancy that now, let alone back working.

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Long run wise, the 14.5 yesterday felt better than expected tbh.Did the 8.1 mile course today and it was 7.03 miling, presume I had better fueling yesterday as I was quicker at nearly twice the distance.

Wool - yes still liking the Hokas, especially how they are better on the leg. Trying to only to use them once a week tho.

lockdown wise, perhaps it will be extended another 2 weeks to mirror Italy. As TR says, they might allow everyone to go out as many times as they like from Sunday..but around here, it seems like that already. My kid plays U111/13 cricket, really liked running over to some of the grounds to watch a match over the last 2 summers. Fucking virus.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    TR: my son is U10s this year, just got him involved with the Thames Valley academy and was very much hoping to get him involved in the Berkshire set-up this year although it does feel like his club (Windsor) want to keep the decent youngsters to themselves a bit. Anyway. Damn virus. 

10 this morning. Long sleeves and gloves in the cold, cold wind. You were still asleep SG, nothing for you to worry about! Would have been the Marlow 5 this weekend, one of my favourite races. I remember racing in gloves these not too long ago so these temps can't be that unusual.

I doubt I'll be back in the office for a couple more weeks but once we're told to go back I expect that I'll be one of the 1st as I've hung on to a proper office with walls and a door over the years. I'll drive to work and come in to contact with almost no one. Feel much more concerned for those who have to take the train / tube. Leaving lockdown might end up being the hardest part for those of us who have been fortunate enough not to be ill.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You've raced the marlow 5 in gloves?
    Between myself and Bus we've no doubt done over 20 goes there and I'm sure he'd agree with me it's usually a warm one.
    Maybe there was one cold year in my occasional missed ones here and there, but i expect we just have different weather tolerances.

It's not even especially warm at times right now..just clammy.
    Although yesterday was notably less so at 11-12 than sunday 8.30-10.15.
    So like days warm up, they seem to drop in clamminess 😂
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Usually warm, but I do vaguely recall a misty chilly start there one year recently.  You rarely wear anything though SG, let alone gloves!

Sunday's outing proved to be a mistake and a bit of a set-back yesterday, but nevermind, it seems to be back on the mend today and the swelling is much reduced. It also meant I went out for a very nice bike ride last night instead.  Not quick by any means, but my fastest ride for a while at17mph for 30 miles, and was pleased to be able to get up all the hills (including Winter Hill) in the big chainring, which I think is good for replicating running climbing muscles.  I'm enjoying the biking again, so every cloud and all that...

I'm not going to run tonight and will see how the foot is tomorrow. Possibly a short one at that point rather than jump back in as per Sunday's premature extrapolation :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Easy does it Bus. That was a proper freak piercing job. 

I've been wondering if a knee is slightly tighter than the other for a day or two. Spent 20mins poking, monitoring and comparing the two today quite ludicrously 😂.

Then went and did my 10 with 6m tempo. Felt decent. Apart from the middle four being bloody windy again.

Changed the route to try and reduce the net down a bit by starting with the slight climb to Wycombe's ground..then back.
    Then up to West Wycombe road which is very short but quite sharp. Then back from there.

First mile 6.07 but then the wind kicked in and operating in the 6.24 average sort of mix for 4 miles before turning direction for a 6.15 job.

6.20 average.

Not that any of us were in doubt but that wind doesn't half affect tempos. You can't fight it and try and still hit pace, or you just overdo it. So all you can do is ride it out.

Over 4 weeks similar types of routes if not exactly the same... my runs have been
    2x6.10 - still days
    Today 6.20
    Very windy 6.25.

Will do some quad and hamstring stretches just to make sure there's not some slight glitch in the chain.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Simon - nice that yr nipper plays too, its a good sport as they grow up, teaches them a lot about life, and its a way in ifthe move area or go to uni etc when they are older

SG - defo breezy today, chilly here too.

Wool - yes, the clubs dont like the counties getting hold of their players, its a bizarre sport for that, youd think itd be embraced. My youngest played vs Berks one time at Newbury, nice ground too, Falkland????

Bus - are you icing the swelling ?

13m here tonight.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Casual 13 on a Tuesday night :smile:

Yes, I have a couple of injury specific ice packs and they do help a bit, especially when it is sore. A bag of peas  is the best thing for the top of the foot, but we've run out!  

Bike again tonight - 21M and a few nice hills thrown in. Bit chilly tonight and an absolute bug fest! I'll be picking them out of my teeth for days :smiley: 

I must admit, despite the frustration with the foot, as always, injuries that make my turn to the bike make me realise how enjoyable cycling is (at least when the weather is nice, there are good routes and the bike aint falling apart!).
  • Good to see you back Muddy, it'll all come back soon enough!

That's a tidy walk there Pete, and kudos to your daughter! I'm not sure I'd be able to stick out a 5hr walk.

Good to see your FTP on the rise Reg, I think mine was south of 200W when I tried!

Hope there's an improvement with the foot Bus, and hope the leg is holding up well SC.

Don't develop a niggle SG! Tidy tempoing - that wind was not funny down here. I thought we'd left winter behind.

Got the weeks plan through - got a mile time trial on Friday... the idea is a marker for where I am,  but not sure how it'll turn out given the last couple weeks of just easy running! Some targets: A - sub-5:30 (would be very nice, but not really gonna happen), B - sub-5:45, C - don't run into a pedestrian...
    Thought I'd let you all know for some accountability, and to give you all something to look forward to as the week comes to an end :D 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    TR, SG and Simon your training is so consistent and high quality it gets repetitive to comment on it! Take that as the compliment it is intended to be :)

Bus, I would agree, but better not or the thread gestapo will be after me for promoting the wrong sport (only joking SG ;)). Up to today I had covered 120 miles already this month but only 3 of running (97 cycling and the crazy 20 mile walk :) ).

We did get out for a run around the lake in Windsor Great Park today; it was so quiet with all the car parks, coffee shops etc. shut which was great. Makes it only really open for locals. Daughter completed her first 10k distance run (1.5 laps) so was rightly pretty pleased with herself.   
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You've been warned about the "thread rules" before Pete 😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt that's a bit of cheeky sandbagging there young son, especially off your rep paces the other week.
    Only question is the route and the wind! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus (and this didn't need to be in three separate posts) that is the beauty of having different sports to your beau!