running underwear

hi i've been running for nearly 30 yrs now......i would like to know where to buy some quality and comfortable underwear for training//racing..??  up to now i've used speedos...this may now be a dated choice please offer any advice you can.....in anticipation (((thanks)))

Comments

•  cheers mate....got a thong ordered....not sure i can manage the hairdo though>>>!!

• High five! Make sexy time in the US and A

;-)
  • saw a guy running the Bath 1/2 in one of them - he was looking a tad chafed at the finish.............walking like John Wayne after a hard day in the saddle

• Lowe apline make some cracking undercrackers. Great fit and really comfy. I use them under tights and they are great. Also dry really quick after a wash.
  •  cheers for the info...gonna check out their website now
  • Used them while climbing in the alps on a 2 pair rotation, Would wash the days pair when we got back to the mountain hut, put a fresh pair on and then the next day put the washed pair on the back of my rucksack to dry in the wind. Got some odd looks from folk cos of my kecks flapping about on the back of my rucksack but always had a fresh gusset!
  • In a similar vain to this, have any of the guys out there any advice they could pass on regarding lycra shorts.
    I have put on a couple of pounds and my already fat thighs have reached the point where I am suffering from really bad chaffing when I run - talking red raw pink flesh here with a John Wayne swagger for a week.
    Till I slim a bit I am thinking about getting a pair of lycra shorts to ease the rubbing.
    Now the sort of things I need advice on is things like size.
    I do have large thighs and although my trousers are a 34'' I know my waist is not 34'' in fact I'm a few inches more but as we all know clothes are "sized" to make us buy them.
    How do lycra shorts fair. I don't want to buy a pair and find I can't get them over my thighs never mind round my waist.
    If I wear medium shorts would medium sized lycra shorts be fine or should I go a size up to - hangs head in shame - large.
    If I do go large but I could get away with a medium would they still be tight enough to do the job.
    Is there anything else I should be aware of when buying lycra shorts.
  • drobton - the best advice is go try a few pairs on...

being lycra they will stretch to fit but most have elasticated leg grippers to stop the legs riding up when running - some of these can be pretty tight which may prove uncomfy for you which is why you need to try them for fit.

generally though sizing is equivalent to standard shorts on the waist but like all clothing a L in one brand may equate more to XL in another so again trying them is important

hope that helps
  • I wear Speedo briefs - they are ideal for running.

• Drobton,

Sounds like we have a similar problem.  I started running after Christmas (I'm sure I'm not the first!) having not done so at all before and having steadfastly avoided exercise for the best part of 20 years - I'm 45 now.  I'm 5'4" and was a ridiculous 13st when I started but I've now shifted the best part of 1st and am closer to 12.  I too have 'muscular' thighs and have recently bought a couple of pairs of Ron Hill marathon shorts - tight lycra-type jobbies - and wear them either on their own or underneath joggers.  They seem to do the trick for me anyway.  I did give a pair of traditional shorts a go but found I was rubbing too.  The Ron Hill shorts are available for £10 a po in the sale from Pete Bland Sports so it night be worth giving them a go.

BC

• Correction - last  line should have read '£10 a pop', not '£10 a po' - sorry!
  • there's quite a bit of supportive underwear around - even much improved jocks, which can give support and freedom.  However, I do believe Mr. Jeremy Paxton was right in his decrying of M&S's lack of support.  Their u/wear is pretty dreadful these days - always find myself hanging a bit low in their stuff and having to manually hitch things up.    

As for their socks, well on the whole, in my opinion, there's onl;y a certain sort of bloke who would want to wear their stupid socks - which say things like 'Monday' or 'I like Beer' or 'Sex mad'  as though we don't know or cant work these things out for ourselves 

• then of course (re the socks) they are so short you are given a flash of stupid looking white british flesh - YUK   Which some British blokes seem to think quite OK'ish
  • I recently tried some Under Armour heat gear compression shorts. Basically their version of lycra undershorts. They work really well, very comfy and no chafing.
  • Head GoneHead Gone ✭✭✭
    If you go to Next they do some good tight fitting briefs called ultra. I use them without ant problem.
  • tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    ants in my pants?
  • Underwear is an important thing for a swimmer during swimming. I also recommend you to use swimming diapers during swimming. Read more: https://swimintheriver.com/best-swim-caps/
  • Swimming diapers??? Interesting.
  • You can also see here my guide. https://theelectricsmoker.com/best-charcoal-grills
  • Much of the ancient knowledge and practice of Yoga has been lost in our world today. My mission with Vedic Yoga is to spread the authentic teachings of Raja Yoga helping people find optimal health, a calm mind free of anxieties, and a way to be centered in a space of silent awareness.
    [url=https://www.vedicyoga.org/]yoga amita[/url]
  • https://www.vedicyoga.org/
    Much of the ancient knowledge and practice of Yoga has been lost in our world today. My mission with Vedic Yoga is to spread the authentic teachings of Raja Yoga helping people find optimal health, a calm mind free of anxieties, and a way to be centered in a space of silent awareness.
  • Much of the ancient knowledge and practice of Yoga has been lost in our world today. My mission with Vedic Yoga is to spread the authentic teachings of Raja Yoga helping people find optimal health, a calm mind free of anxieties, and a way to be centered in a space of silent awareness.

<a href="https://www.vedicyoga.org/">yoga</a>
  • Who wears underwear?