Sub 25min 5k help

Hi all,

I only got below 25:00 minutes once during a Parkrun back at the start of 2019 and havnt been able to do it since. Before Covid, I was doing track work with a running club every 2 weeks but my speed just doesn’t seem to improve.

I run 25 – 30 miles a week and I am trying to build an aerobic base. I do the majority of my running, including the long run, at 10 min mile pace but really struggle to go faster. Anything near to 8 minute mile then I really struggle to maintain.

Im not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi Jack, my PR PB is 23:30. I kept at 24 something for a very, very long time. What worked for me was intervals at a fast pace, below seven mins a mile, with walking breaks in between. I also did a lot of hill work and then did flattish PRs. 

It was really tough, and I only got my PB with a pacer!
  • Hi Jack. How long have you been doing consistent mileage of 25-30 miles a week. Might take a few months of doing that consistently to build the endurance. 
    Endurance is 80-90% of the performance in your 5k so that’s the thing that will have the most bang for buck in terms of training time. 
    Other than that stick in a weekly tempo session, running a bit faster than your current 5k Pb pace, for about 10 mins in the middle of a 30min jog. Extend by a minute or two each week to about 20 mins. 
    Along with the longer slower runs this should see you improve. 
    Set a “race” or time trial once every 4 weeks or so. On a flat route with no obstacles/roads to cross if possible. And if you can have a faster friend run with you to pace you, even better. 
    And be patient :-)