Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Hope the hip settles down OO.

I was a student at Durham University and did the Great North Run in June 1983 - it was a hot one!  I had been training over the winter with the University cross-country running club although I was probably the slowest member.   This was my first ever longer distance road race and I managed a 1:25:xx.  I was quite pleased with myself until I got back to the college to hear that one of the rugby players had run 1:10:xx! 

Good easy 10 milers Gul.  There is something satisfying about a double figure run.  Is the 12-hour run a solo effort?

Nice easy miles Leslie.

Good trail miles G-D but probably best to stay away from the skipping rope.

Good progress DT.

I'm still hopeful some form of reduced numbers event will take place at London or Berlin but I guess it will be a while before we hear.  

I've never found rest helpful for clearing up niggles, so will keep running easy for a while in the hope they'll go away.  In truth, I'm missing the regular sports massage and being able to use the treadmill.  I've also stopped doing some of the strength and conditioning work which I need to restart.

10 easy miles yesterday, 12.5 scheduled early evening.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Not  a shabby early GNR by you there SBD. Yes, you are probably right re the niggles and rest.

I had seen the idea mooted that London could perhaps do an elite, champs and gfa race. However, my opinion only, vmlm is in part like a giant parkrun and embraces the slower half of the field and bends over backwards for 8 hr runners. I simply cannot see them risking the wrath of the masses and being labelled elitist etc in doing that.

Berlin may take a different path, but then that won't be until next Spring, though I have seen suggested that they are considering the 2nd or 3rd weekend in November. That though is hugely risky as if they go through all the planning for that and the Berlin senate just increases the mass event deadline to the end of the year for eg.

I know there's various money, sponsorship deals, charity income etc at stake, but the 2020 races for me would be better off just taking this year on the chin and making 2021 all the better.

HOW's the hip now, OO?

Gul, I hope you don't get too hot a day. Though like Ineos 1.59 challenge team, you can pick your moment.

No running today, settling into every other day whilst I build up. The days in between now (that I've got some hope of a return) I am going to make sure I do some sort of core class on-line or similar, with the aim then once I am back to full running of doing that twice a week.

I was chatting to my boss earlier and she is of the view that we will never end up going back to the day to day 9-5 in the office. She thinks (for my business) by the time it is safe to have everyone back as normal we will have all adapted fully to wfh and  our business will suddenly realise it doesn't need all the overheads. As a runner, i'm looking at that scenario, especially with winter in mind, and thinking that'll do me. All my training including mlrs in the day light etc. Then though I realise I don't have anywhere wholly safe and adequate to do big sessions like I could  around the race course.

Time will tell i'm sure.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I agree DT, working from home for those that can will be the new norm.

Managed a 6 miler at lunchtime. Slow start due to stiff calves and achilles but they're all on the mend. Mixed the paces to average 7.10 pace and bagged a 6.37 final mile to boost the confidence.

Bottled out of the weighing scales today. I don't need that bad news right now!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The hip didnt feel much better tbh, so I quit after 3 very slow miles. I looked up my symptoms and osteitis pubis looks like a very good fit- has anyone suffered from this before?
    I agree your comments on rest SBD but I had to give it a go. Will try again tomorrow.
    Scaredy cat GDawg 😉 I am really struggling to stay below 12 strones, which is a gain of 4lb. (c4 kg)
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Very briefly blurting out thoughts in a webinar break. GD Skipping with dodgy knees sounds like a risky business unless form is good (think float like a butterfly), first HM was 1:32 (1:30, 1:28, 1:27, 1:24 then injury and here I am today) - definitely feel I can fly a lot quicker so am focused on getting stronger. Sending recovery vibes to you DT. Have worked out effective cross friction massage technique myself so can add that to the list of things I can now do better than the people I used to pay (cleaner, hair salon for a dye job 😂)

Last week of rest was a great intervention and have been running again this week feeling strong. Easy 8 today.  Back to my webinar now!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I suppose on a weird upside, there's never been a better time to be injured. Hope the bench starts to clear soon, guys.

Great to see you running again MsE.

The knee issue I keep referring to isn't in the knee as such, it's Pes Anserinus (goose foot). The point where three tendons (hamstring, adductor and another) join the tibula. The bursa (fluid sack) in the joining point was becoming inflamed. It's just been easier to say knee when referring to it.

Really weird injury, never had it before. It's well on the mend now and I'm able to gradually introduce speed work at the moment to it gets used to fast movement again.

The skipping is an idea to strengthen the lower legs to help the injury as well as provide a bit of cardio cross-training. 

Will give it another go when the soreness has completely gone but only 5 mins at a time! What an idiot!!  :D
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Definitely no skipping here 😳
    5 miles today was equally slow but felt better. It's a start...
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - you were right to be pleased with a really cracking HM debut! I hope the evening run went okay. Yes, it will be a solo effort at the end of the month for me. It did occur to me that I could substitute the field for the garden for old time's sake. It would reduce the number of laps by a factor of 20-odd I think :)
    DT - yes, in many ways, I would enjoy wfh on a more permanent basis. 
    GD - tidy lunchtime run.
    OO - sorry to hear that. Never heard of osteitis pubis, but I will be looking it up.
    MsE - very nice progression on those HMs. I can sympathise with the webinar. I haven't had one today, but instead 3 phone calls with the same person totalling over 5 hours :(
    11 slow miles today to chalk up my first MLR since the solo marathon.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - x-post. Better news :)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Indeed Gul. I thought about going further today but I'm going to take the comeback very slowly. Glad to  see back on the MLRs 👍
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - wise decision.
    14 slow to easy miles today.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to be cautious, oo.

Nice 14, Gul.

Thanks for the vibes, MsE.

Bit more running yesterday, just 3 x 5 min and 1 x 6 min off 1 min. Felt decent and today is the first time I've got up the following day and thought I could quite easily run again today without taking a risk.

Lewis says that whilst it's all very slow right now, it'll progress pretty quickly once I am over 10 mins continuous running all being well.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Nice on the 14 today Gul. Is that Lewis Moses you are referring to, DT? Lewis posted a really kind message on my Instagram when I was facing never running again which is what gave me the impetus to find another way back. We've since met at a Steve Cram training camp and I was meant to be joining him and Gemma in Morzine for a running camp next month.  It won't be happening anymore sadly but I am sure I will see them sometime this year. Good to hear you are feeling more positive about heading in the right direction.

Slow hot 8 miles with one hound today. Had to deviate along the towpath to give him a drink as I didn't take my backpack with me.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    MsE, yes it is. He's coached me since November 18, when his coaching company was pretty new. Really top bloke. Even though I'm not paying him right now as im not training near properly, he's still helping me like i was and setting my training to build me up and in almost daily contact. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - good to build up cautiously and make slow, steady progress.
    MsE - going to be warmer this coming week, I think. I've had my gloves out again this week, but they can be safely packed away again now :)
    Bit of a last minute decision to go for the 12 hour solo endurance run tomorrow. So rest day today and need to think through the logistics, especially nutrition. Might have a light breakfast before setting off and just re-fuel when passing my house each 6 miles as needed. I have some soluble electrolyte tablets to save buying plastic bottles and will stock up on bananas, flapjack and malt loaf rather than using gels, I think. Does that sound like a good plan? I'll set off early as usual :) Just need to be disciplined and keep it very SLOW.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     hope it goes well, Gul  :)  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, it'd be helpful if you could confirm which aspect your question, "Does that sound like a good plan?" is aimed at? 

The plan to run for 12 hours or the plan of attack for the event?

If it's the former then no, it's beyond me, if it's the latter then in accepting the master an, yes that sounds sensible. 

Off for a little run in a bit, 8 x 3 min off 1 min. 24 mins of running so double a week ago. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    0054 a decent start too just take it easy not as if there are any races coming up !
    MSE a fine progress and I'm sure there is unfinished business with the Pb's in the future 
    GUL 5 hrs ! tell them to stick it in an Email lol.  I think 12hrs is an incredibly long time to be out and I'm not sure how far/long you have went out for before but I know you wanted to do ultra's ? , maybe 6 hrs would be more manageable ( I dunno) it's up to you but make sure someone is checking on you every hr as we can push ourselves too far sometimes without realizing how bad shape we are getting into on a solo run...All the best anyway and pack plenty of vaseline as chaffing will be an issue Id think !!!!!!
    Gdawg a speedy 6 miler despite the skipping punishment and Never heard of goose foot will have to look it up .
    DT progress is progress can't hurry these things although we would certainly like to ..

Had two non running days on nightshift due to tiredness then up yesterday and out of bed yesterday for a tempo 5.5m with 3 middle fast again ( 6:46, 6:33, 6:24) saw a runner on mile 3 way ahead and was slightly embarrassed to be passing him like a whirlwind with only about 100m to go on the tempo, luckily he went a different route just as I was stopping to save my blushes lol ....

6m easy today.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Solid splits there, Leslie.

Gradual increase on the comeback, DT. Looks like good management.

Fuel is everything for that type of caper, Gul. Make sure you have stuff that you find easy to eat and drink for the later miles as I found on my ultra last year that my body was too busy doing other things late on and getting fuel in was a struggle.

A pleasing 16 mile slow run today. Longest distance since February and a surprising 7.58 average, much better than earlier in the year. Felt tired near the end as I’m a little out of practice but some good signs as base training continues.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I hope Gul is fast asleep now before the ultra tomorrow.  
    24 mins of running is definitely a sure sign you are on a roll, DT. I recall being at that stage of my comeback and being delirious with happiness.
    Nice tempo miles Leslie.
    GD
    - not too shabby 16. Well done. It was quite warm today as well.
    Easy 8 and a bit for me with the two mutts. Lots of water stops (them not me). Golfers were back out today so I had to stick to the paths on the way back through the golf course. I really do hope this R number is indeed down as we are assured by govt.  Still nervous about where we are in the grand scheme of things. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Gul hope it's going well. Well beyond my sphere of advice but I'm sure you'll be sensible.
    Well done G Dawg, that's a good long effort.
    I'm hoping to scrape 30 for the week which is ok all things considered.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Took a precautionary retirement at 8 hours, 48 miles. Will give details later. Thanks everyone 😀
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    That's incredible Gul! Congratulations! Looking forward to the report later on when you are rested and fed. 

10 miles to round off 50 for the week. Hope all are keeping well and enjoying more time outdoors.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i wantvto know what the start time was for you to be posting this at 10.36?! well done.

MSE, did you find there were times when you felt you'd had a set back ie was it plain sailing progress? Yesterday Friday i felt great after thursdays run and like i could have gone again. Today my back feels a bit sore and I'm glad I'm not running today. Just panicking now that my body won't cope with increased time on feet. 

looks like you are back in full flow gdawag. 

nice little tempo, Leslie.

Done strength and conditioning class this morning. doing turbo session later on. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - thanks. How are you doing?
    DT - that's good progress. Nice work today.
    Leslie - nice tempo run. Just worked out fine fortunately.
    GD - a solid MLR.
    MsE - great tally for the week. Looking good.
    OO - yes, best to err on the side of caution at the moment.
    So I got up extra early, just after 1:30am. A bit extreme even for me, but I think it was a good decision. I had all my food and drink ready set out next to the back door for easy access. Had a bit of porridge and a bit of electrolyte water. I set up a timesheet in the garage door and updated each lap so Mrs GD could see how I was doing. Set off at 1:55 am.
    My pacing plan was to do 9m/m which allowed for a few minutes at the end of each lap and worked out at 6 miles / 1 lap per hour. Very pleased to say I was very close to that each lap and didn't get carried away or slow down.
    I had a torch with and needed it for a few stretches each lap. But by lap 3 it was gradually getting light and I ditched it at the end of the lap.
    I took on a bit of water at the end of most laps and a bit of food (banana, malt loaf and muesli bar) every other lap.
    So all was going perfectly to plan and I felt comfortable. I even had time to have a quick breakfast with Mrs GD at the end lap 6. 
    However I did feel a bit stiff setting off after that. I then saw a friend and stopped to chat with him. He used to run and said he thought it was do-able at that pace provided I kept taking on a bit of food and the electrolytes.
    Felt a touch harder again setting off after that. Also the sun was now rising and it was warming up. By the end of the lap I felt like I was starting to burn up. Had plenty to drink, a bit of food and set off again.
    Ouch! My hips and ITB bands were not happy. I told myself I would see how it went and review nearer the end of the lap. It didn't get much better and I decided it was better to call it a day rather than risk anything serious (hopefully it wasn't already serious!) 
    By now it was getting quite hot and the sun was out. A few degrees warmer than forecast I think.
    So 8 hours and 8 laps it was. 48 miles which is 6 more than my previous longest run (which was a fair bit faster, I'm sure.
    Still pleased with how it went and I wouldn't rule out trying for a longer one sometime. Certainly doing 55 miles Mon to Fri wouldn't have helped. And it's still only 3 weeks after my 3:05 marathon.
    Quite sore as you might imagine, but not anything worrying. Time to rest for a while 😀
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Excellent run Gul - 48 miles is good going on your own.  Sensible call on stopping after the eight laps.  So next stop Comrades?

A steady 16 miles for me early evening, to give 70 miles for the week.  The legs have not been feeling too bad over the last week, so perhaps I've turned the corner. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sensational Gul, I couldn't keep up 9 min mileing for anywhere near that long. And it sounds like you enjoyed it too.
    MSE that's a great weekly total, you really are back in the game.
    My 9 miler went smoothly for a 31 mile week.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    DT Good days and bad days always the way ,I ran fine yesterday but my knee aches badly today though so no running even walking hurts ! Will be grand(ish) tomorra though !!!!! Apart from the big grouping at the start of a race we are good to go but even with starts at say 20 secs intervals people will still huddle together they just can't help it unless its a small race or in waves from different start points.
    If there is no vaccine (likely) then we will have to work out a plan to race and adapt..
    GUL that's crazy ( start time ) and a brilliant effort well done you are on a roll, I think Id sack the stopping for a chat bits where possible though and try the run/walk approach with a planned walk every lap before you need it  as you have said seizing up and getting going again must be very tough indeed. Enjoy a well earned rest and maybe an ultra running future !

Paltry 23 mile for the week here , 1/2 days work for GUL lol 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Gul. I wouldn't have even contemplated 12 hours of running. You are a machine!

48 miles over 5 days for me, plus 2 cycle rides and 2 strength sessions.