Comrades 2020

Comments

• All sorted McHilly. Most grateful and almost dribbling at one of my running idols... haha. 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for extending the invitation to us, McH. Most interesting.

• My sentiments too McH. I note that the meeting appeared to be recorded, if so and if it can be shared by great to have to see it from the beginning. Thanks again 
  • Mark, glad you managed to get in. I was stuck in the waiting room for a while as well, so I missed the first 10 minutes or so.

Mc Hilly, many thanks again for inviting us and please pass that on to your club - it really was appreciated.

Snail, that's good to hear re. your refund. I've still not asked for mine.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH wonderful stuff and great to see you on the video stream in your 26.2 top, loved how you were mentioned re Comrades - you will have to persuade Courtney to drop in one year! My jaw hit the deck when she mentioned not doing any body support workouts until she had the 90 mile hip collapse; good to see the remediation work is same as mine! For mash get Smash!

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’m pleased several of your were able to join, and sorry some of you had a delay initially getting in. I’ll check out over the next few days if it’s been recorded and if so where it can be viewed. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It, are you a local, with a T-Shirt, or an international with a carried forward entry? I know a Swedish Comrades runner, she can probably help with your inheritance!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it has McH, there was this big red flashy light on mine saying "R-E-C-O-R-D-I-N-G-I-N-G-I-N-G" it gave me a bit of a tan.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    That was excellent. Thanks to WHH for putting that on & opening it up to all. 

Great advice given to some good questions. I do like listening to these top runners, been fortunate to have gone to a few of these chats (plus some impromptu ones too when I was in Flagstaff for a week or so a few years back) - even if you only takeaway one thing then I think it has been worth it.   

Well done to the award winners too. I chucked a few coppers in the jar afterwards.

I do wonder if CD will do Comrades...
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Yes thanks for the invite mchilly, really enjoyed it.  I liked her views on the "pain cave" and also thought that is interesting that she doesn't follow a strict plan.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I think those who registered will have received an email from eventrac with a link to the video of the zoom with Courtney, for those who didn’t register or didn’t get the email, here’s the link https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F419191126&data=02%7C01%7C%7C292d5446bf5c4361c27108d7f95f29d0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637252059422632577&sdata=638OQOtpa44NW%2FArRWo8OeY4RDuVwZ%2Byt0QyT2XRoCs%3D&reserved=0

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Ok, so posting the link like that didn’t work! I’ll try again!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thank you McHilly, that was excellent, loads of interesting things to try out (especially for me taking nutrition right from the start of an ultra - in the past I've usually run through the first aid station) and what an open, generous, unpretentious person she is. It felt a privilege to have an hour of her time.
    SS that's great news on your refund. I've had two emails and two texts from BA in the last couple of days saying my flights are cancelled, so I really should get on to claiming my refund. Glad to be able to transfer to 2021, but it will fall just as my sons finish their GCSE's and A Levels so I won't be able to go out early.
    Haven't tried the Belaire yet, but their website is still showing them as open so I expect the deposit I've paid there is lost.
  • DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    Thanks McH, couldn’t join last night.

Re BA did you all wait for a cancellation email? I have flights booked for August to London but don’t want to go.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I waited for a cancellation Dubai because when I went to cancel I read a load of warnings about, yes you can, and we'll consider it, and we'll advise you in due course on a refund... it all sounded a bit vague... I do know if they cancel they have to pay you if you ask.

Mine's come through too SS just 2 days after the request :)

• DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez, don't want to go to the UK at the mo.. 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Thanks McHilly. Just watched the recording. Very interesting. You have a great club vibe going on. :)
  • Dubai - definitely wait for them to cancel so you can get a refund rather than a voucher but if they don't cancel maybe you'll be able to get a voucher. Who knows what will be happening by then.
  • Just been watching the bit of yesterday's chat that I missed while waiting to be let in. Will probably re-listen to the rest while doing my strength exercises. Spotted a couple of faces I knew.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    McH - thank you. I wasn’t able to join. So I’m looking forward to watching the recording.

BA have now cancelled my Comair flights - so now just the London - Jo’burg leg remains...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    With the big race off this is a major calamity for the 6 Amabeadibeadi Comrades charities - no massive boost this year potentially for their coffers. Mine, Community Chest, launched a fundraiser yesterday called "Healthy Vibe Hour Sat 16th May" aimed at being an all inclusive thing where you are active for an hour and ask for donations for your efforts. There are some amazing posts on that facebook page; kids were jumping and hoola hooping, runners were running as best they could under the imposed limitations etc. CC calI all of us supporters "Superheroes" so I tried to adopt a suitably themed South African persona, warmed up and ran 5 miles. Hoping you will donate a few rand on my Race4Charity page these guys are right at the heart of the communities in Durban and PM fighting the Covid19 crisis.

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, great idea and done :) 

McH thanks for setting up the call, I wasn't able to join but watched the recording when on the indoor bike this morning.  You really need to educate your club about Comrades, lol.  who was the other person in the comrades top (above you) on the video?  I was assuming from this forum.

Onomo cancelled my booking, and told me to call (booking.com) if I had paid and wanted a refund however they hadn't taken any money.  Strangely then I received an email from them saying my card had been blocked (I changed card about a month ago) so they couldn't take the money .. and they then cancelled my booking. So what I thought was going to be a lost amount, wasn't.  That said I haven't had my BA refund yet, I suspect due to the same card change issue.

I see some long runs on Strava .. I spent most of this morning looking at races in July and wondering will they or wont they!!??
  • Lowrez I think you’ve far too much time on your hands! How you come with these things I’ve no idea, some imagination 
  • Lowrez: how on earth are you getting the cape to stay up in that kneeling photo?
    Terry: that was you in the 2016 Comrades top, wasn't it?
    50K on a pretty flat route for me today. A training run, so I was practicing different paces and finding once more that my ability to hold a given pace is awful - my natural tendency is to stick in periodic slower sections. Also affected by road crossings, dodging toddlers on bikes etc. It's also my second virtual event with SVN during the lockdown, making my Ultra #80. I got the Cookiethon medal for the last one; not sure which one I'll be sent this time - I think the Beatrix Potter Challenge was the second one I entered (other two are Bee Charity Challenge and the (Alice in) Wonderland Caucus Run). At least £10 from each goes to charity.
    Really hoping that NDW50 can go ahead in July (postponed from May). Considering taking part in the Centurion One Challenge even but not yet worked out what to do.
    Peter R: Glad your Onomo booking is sorted. I must remember to cancel my booking with Belaire Suites...

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Debra, I don't know if that was me in a 2016 top.  Where did you see that?  If you have a link I'll have a look.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes Lowrez I am a international runner for Comrades. I have had a long battle to get to be a Permanent Resident without an ID card.

I hold the special 'F1' licence number from Athletics North West. Where F is for Foreigner.

Not much running here as I got a problem with my arm and shoulder coming from my neck. Tennis elbow too. 

Good to see all the refunds are starting to happen. 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done 1owrez. Impressed that you had a rhino head just lying around. Did you run all 5 miles in that outfit? Wasn't it hard to see where you were going? Mind you, if people saw a rhino coming they probably had no problem leaving 2 metres space for you.
    Peter R and Debra some fantastic times for your long runs this weekend. No long run for me, but I have been thinking about the Centurion Challenge as well. 50 miles in a week doesn't seem enough of a challenge, but I've never done a 100 mile training week. Perhaps this is the time to see if I can manage it. Especially now we're officially allowed to run more than once a day. Was also thinking about volunteering on the NDW50 if it goes ahead. I'm missing my Centurion and parkrun volunteering and the North Downs Way isn't that far from me.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    The first year I ran Comrades I supported Wildlands, there was a big push on saving rhinos, so the head was part of my charity campaigning that year, ran into some bloke in my t-shirt too...

Thanks for the donations Peter and Stan :)

Debra, all superheroes can make their capes do that :D especially if their daughter is holding the corners up out of frame, thanks to my son for being photographer too - we are indeed having a great time during covid lock-in :)

You are very perceptive Stan; I did not actually run in that gear, much to my dismay, that rhino head is indeed lethal, can't see a thing out of it :D

So you have a carried forward entry Bike It! Hope your arms get better - I'm trying to imagine what brought on the tennis elbow, have you been beating carpets to clean them, or possibly light sabre fencing against Darth Maul?
  • Terry, it's at the link provided by Mc Hilly further up this page: https://vimeo.com/419191126
    Lowrez: I did wonder if someone was holding the corners!
    Bike It: sympathies for the shoulder/arm/neck and elbow issues - hope those get sorted soon.
    Baldstan: do let me know where you'll be, if you end up volunteering at NDW50 or 100.