Starting Again

Its been a few years since I've run,  I've put on a few stone and feel a lot more lethargic.  Today was the day I decided to turn things round and start running again.  Its going to be a long journey till I get to the point of being able to go out for an easy 30 minute run again.

I've decided to follow the Runners World run walk method, so today was a 30 minute outing with 8 x 1min run 90s walk.  It was enjoyable, and felt good to be able to run even if only for a few minutes.

Here's to Thursday, when I go again.  Slow and steady does it.

Comments

• Well done Preston Plodder. The hardest step is always the first one.
  • Hello to everyone,
    I am new to the forum as writing, but I was reading and learning a few months before I create an account. I am on the same boat. I started March slowly. I follow the Garmin Fenix 5 course to do the 5K after 12 weeks and I made it. Now I follow the next course for 10K. I do well so far. My pace is horrible I think I do 10K in 1 and 5 minutes about. The race is on 6 October. I am not smoking but vaping a lot. I want to be free from that after 3 years. I smoked a lot in my life, but I think I can do it. I am 44 years old I know its to late for racings but I dont want to race I want to be helthy. Sorry for the long post.
    Nick
  • Well done nvlass - it's not about the pace, it's about what you achieve. And just getting out there and doing something means you've achieved something.
  • > @Guarddog said:
    > Well done nvlass - it's not about the pace, it's about what you achieve. And just getting out there and doing something means you've achieved something.

Thank you @Guarddog I in the process quitting vaping. I want to change my lifestyle. and thank you for your support it means a lot to me.
  • I came back to running after a number of years away. Just getting your ass out the door when planned each day, regardless of what you achieve was my focus, then it all started clicking.
  • Preston Plodder, you've just reminded me of how I started years ago with the 1min run /walk. I'm gonna give it a try in the morning. Hoping to get back into shape ,I've turned into a  bit of a couch potato and need to take action lol.
  • RobojogRobojog ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I came back last year after a 13 year break! The hardest part was getting out the door the first time. I did make the mistake of trying to run at my old pace and soon damaged a muscle then a tendon before I realised I'm not as fast as I used to be. 18 months on and I've reached a reasonable standard for my age and am enjoying my running more than ever before. 
  • I have just come back to running post a long absence - I did a 5K yesterday feeling it a bit today but it was great fun soon as the quad pain reduces more an ache than a pain I will be out for the next run :)
  • Very much done Preston Plodder. The hardest advance is consistently the first.
  • I'm getting back to running after a 4 year break too. I wondered off into the world of weightlifting and training for stongman competition so put on a load of weight. Its going to be a challenging journey but looking forward to it!
  • Slow steady you can do it
  • ALLDALLD ✭✭
    Hello,

It's great you've started again. As someone who has recently started again after injury I understand the struggle and motivation but I feel together we can do this.
  • Good to know there’s others in the same boat as me.

Good luck, keep at it!
  • Well done, but can anyone tell me how to post a new discussion post on these forums?! Maybe I'm being really dense but I can't see a button to do so anywhere!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi jojo - you need reply 10 times on threads before you can create a new discussion. 
  • Just reading this thread has given me the motivation to get back running. I consider myself a beginner despite having run a half marathon in 2017 and several 10k's around the same time. The biggest mistake I made was letting my running go and I now find it difficult to even run a mile. I have tried a few times to get back into it over the years but have struggled to enjoy it like I used to and find after a week or two my motivation has gone. I am quite competitive so find it frustrating that I can't match the distances I used to run. I have recently started running again and have found this site so helpful, just knowing you are not alone and reading other peoples posts is really encouraging and supportive. I just want to enjoy running again so am now looking forward to following other people journeys as I begin mine...again!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Welcome MiniRunner and good luck. The best advice I can give is to take things slowly to begin with and just build yourself up again. It can be frustrating when you compare what you were able to do before, but it's amazing how quickly it does return after the initial shock of starting again.
  • I'm just starting back out again, just started week 3 of c25k. It's hard knowing that only last year I was fine running and now it's so much more difficult!
  • rugbybex, its good to get back running, I've used the lockdown to get back, currently on week 4 of run / walk.  Feels good to be back out on my feet.  Hardest part for me is being patient wanting to go further quicker.
  • I’ve been an on off runner for years, I go through stages of loving it and then hating it and not bothering at all. I’ve just started the C25K to encourage myself to get back into it and I’m slowly beginning to enjoy it again. I had 18 months out due to having a hole in my knee but I’m hoping now I’m running again I will continue with it, my biggest problem is my pace, I know I should take it steady but when I do I feel like I’m going too slow and end up speeding up which results in my struggling to breathe properly and giving up! 
  • I am also doing the C25k to restart my running and just completed week 4.  I thought it would be easy as I have run in the past but t is harder than I thought it would be.  Starting to enjoy it again though and determined to get to the end :)

• Good to see so many people starting running again,  I've just completed week 4 of the run / walk.  4 x 5 mins running.  4 more weeks to 30 mins running.
  • Hi all new to this as well doing a jogg/walk alternate days as well, started out just walking everyday now 3 1/2 stone lighter and managing 1 hour joggs around 5 miles pace times are around mid 12 min/mile but were 14 1/2 min/mile at the start so improving, just a little worried with spending too much time in HR zone 5 using a wrist based Polar m430 found they're not too accurate under load but seems to follow increasing HR up hills accurately enough so could do with a little advice as not able to post yet. Thanks Paul.
  • Hi all new to this as well doing a jogg/walk alternate days as well, started out just walking everyday now 3 1/2 stone lighter and managing 1 hour joggs around 5 miles pace times are around mid 12 min/mile but were 14 1/2 min/mile at the start so improving, just a little worried with spending too much time in HR zone 5 using a wrist based Polar m430 found they're not too accurate under load but seems to follow increasing HR up hills accurately enough so could do with a little advice as not able to post yet. Thanks Paul.

Well done northernsoul_man on getting out for an hour,  I've just managed to get running 3 miles without walking again, after 7 weeks of run walking.

The HR zones on watches are generic, I suggest having a look through runnersworld at details of HR training, there was an article that I used years ago https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/health/a762392/rw-complete-guide-to-heart-rate-training/  that talks about working heart rate.  This helped me define my training zones.  
  • <div>Hi Preston Plodder thanks for the link will have a read of it later, yes its been a battle to get to this point with an hours jog but I started walking, then fast walking to a point where the next step up for  me was to begin jogging so the transition from fast walking to jogging felt easy, but I must say the difference in effort from fast walking to jogging was totally different and really hard at first, I've not increased mileage yet, I just want to carry on at this intensity for now to allow my body to get used to this level of exercise and improve my base with which to work on.</div><div>You've probably found it to be the same, so I think I will keep a check on av pace for the next few months and take it from there, so I think if I continue with a mind to HR zone training I need to get s chest strap and review my WHR from there,</div><div>Thanks Plodder, regards</div><div>Paul.
    </div>
  • <div>Hi Preston, just had a look thru the links and a read, congrats on your achievements by the way, well done, I've put a post in the gear section asking advice on Wrist based HR trackers and been Reading up on their accuracy - not good by all accounts, so I've ordered a Polar H10 chest strap as my jogs have been spent a lot of the time in zone 5 which I know by my current fitness level and perceived effort is not likely the case, tried to slow down but its hard to do for me, so I have stats from the watch to compare when the chest strap arrives and will look at WHR training but my alternate walk days are very gentle around 60 - 65% my default MHR for 6 miles or so, I can use this to try and concentrate on perhaps 1 jog a week where I step things up a bit but gently does it for now not wanting to do a Max Heart Rate test just yet</div><div>Thanks again Preston hope we can both continue with this and see how far we both go.</div><div>Paul.
    </div>
  • BrayshBraysh ✭✭
    Ok, so I ran the Windsor half last year in 2:20 with minimal training (I literally went for 3 or 4 runs beforehand). I smoke, drink too much and have done nothing since. Need to turn my life around as I have a high pressure job that can become all consuming and am probably at risk of HA or stroke. Need help! Need online friends! anyone out there?
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi Braysh, it sounds as if you have a very good idea of what you want to do. In my opinion, and I am not a medic, giving up smoking would be the first step. 
  • Hi all, I'm Tom! New here. Just started picking up my running again after running on/off over the past couple of years ( although I've never done any races or anything over a 5k to be honest!). Did a 5k on Monday and hopefully will be going out again tomorrow morning. What do people think about booking races this early? I've seen a couple of 10k races that I'd like to aim for (Aug/Sep time) but I'm not sure if after only 3 runs it's too early to think about? On the one hand it will motivate me to continue knowing that I've booked something, but on the other hand it might be better to continue for a bit to see how I enjoy it?

Also another quick question- I currently use old running shoes from my dad that we have lying around. They don't fit great and I remember at one point they even gave me blisters. It is worth investing in some new trainers this early? Or shall I wait a few weeks/months? I know it's better to try running shoes as opposed to buying online so I would definitely like to go to a shop and have a look but I wondering if people thought it better to wait or awhile or go ahead now?

Sorry for all the questions... thanks a lot all! And good luck to anyone else who's just started/is getting back to running. It's good to know there are others out there doing the same thing no matter their age/current fitness etc.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Welcome Braysh - lots of help and friends on the site here. As TT suggests perhaps looking at things you can do initially to either give up or cut down on the smoking and drinking would be a start. You obviously are able to run as 2:20 for the half off the back of so little training is not to be sniffed at, so perhaps look to create time in your day to ease yourself in to running. I feel the more you do the more motivated you'll be to make other changes.

Hello Tom - welcome to the site. In answer to the first question it's always good to have something to aim for. It tends to concentrate the mind in terms of training. However I think with the current situation I'd worry that we're not going to be seeing any organised races in the next 2 or 3 months. If anyone is organising something it might be worthwhile ensuring there's a refund policy if it doesn't go ahead. 

In relation to the footwear I think if you're looking to get into this more it would definitely be a good idea to invest in a decent pair of runners. It's not just the blisters I'd be concerned about. As you say they're old and they don't fit properly and it's possible as you run in them more they may cause more fundamental issues with regards to your joints and muscles. Going to a shop and having your gait analysed will mean that you're put into runners that are suited to you.