Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Agreed, although i doubt id cough n my hand if i was to cough running, who knows, not sure......but they are starting to think that the chances of catching it outdoors are less, but obviously all the folks crammed into champions league matches and cheltenham can be classed as outside i guess.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

I think definitely the touching of metal objects is definitely more of a worry than just 'breath' in the open air. You know how windy it is here usually - the chance of being infected like that are very low. Not had any issued here, lots of laughing about going round people and splitting folks talking from either side of the road.

MH - Hope Achilles clears up. SG - Decent tempo, Jools - great little rep session there.

Wool - Finally having to join Strava or Garmin connect for the masters 5k! disaster. The organizer emailed our team manager and said that if you are hoping to be up there challenging, they ought to be recorded properly rather than just a photo of the watch etc..

Did a impromptu 5 mile tempo with the Adios on Tuesday, wasn't sure what to do until the last minute. 29.31, 5.54mm the Garmin tells me. Was quite hard in places, as tempos are - horrible sessions. Miles were 5.57,5.56,6.02,5.39,5.53.

9 miles yesterday morning, and went over the road to do the old classic 30 x 200 with the 10,20,30 secs recoveries at lunchtime. Legs felt quite good, although didn't go full beans, 39 odd secs for the first 10, 37's for the second and 35's for the last 10. Probably do another 9 tomorrow am then 8 x 1k with the Hokas Saturday.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Simon, you are obviously feeling ok again.

I get the touching things risk but, someone has to cough on their hand, touch the gate and transfer enough virus, enough of the virus has to still be there when the next person touches the gate, that person has to actually touch the gate in the right (or wrong) place, enough virus has to leave the gate and transfer on to that person. They the have to touch their eyes or mouth and transfer enough virus......all of that needs a person with the virus to be at the same place on the same day as you, at roughly the same time.........its a risk but pretty low, certainly a lot lower tha being in a supermarket scrapping over pasta and toilet roll a few weeks back.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Nice one Simon - while track reps are not exactly a doss, that little rest is a life saver. Keeping medium hard beans on for such a long distance will always be harder to me, and I dare say any footy background types. But unfortunately it's the most race like of the runs we do!

Was that mile 4 a bit of keenness or a slight dip in the elevation, maybe after soaking it up a bit in mile 3?

10 here. I would say obviously, but it's been 10 - 10.5 - 11 last 3 days to keep everyone guessing :D

Considering a seg hunt tomorrow, or at least an attempt, but we all know that stuff becomes ludicrously addictive...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    TR said:
    Good stuff Simon, you are obviously feeling ok again.

I get the touching things risk but, someone has to cough on their hand, touch the gate and transfer enough virus, enough of the virus has to still be there when the next person touches the gate, that person has to actually touch the gate in the right (or wrong) place, enough virus has to leave the gate and transfer on to that person. They the have to touch their eyes or mouth and transfer enough virus......all of that needs a person with the virus to be at the same place on the same day as you, at roughly the same time.........its a risk but pretty low, certainly a lot lower tha being in a supermarket scrapping over pasta and toilet roll a few weeks back.

A lot of it is low risk for sure, but if the virus can stay on metal for up to 3 days, which was at least some sort of early opinion, then the 100s of people who pass through those gates could easily have left their trace on it.

And you certainly wouldn't have to lick the gate or snog it, or whatever someone said earlier :)

Just merely wipe some sweat off your face, or touch your eyes, or have a right old rub off like Bus does on his runs.

My plastic bag idea the other day (and think more a very small one, rather than some massive tesco bag :D ) was because I was driving there too, so even more stuff to infect in the car.

Potentially - it's all potentially.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    My understanding is this: the 3 days on metal is for any trace of virus to be present, The viral load will likely be minimal & decreases with every passing minute. The viral load is important when considering how the body responds to infection. The greater the viral load the more severe the illness - hence primary healthcare workers who are exposed to high viral loads from badly infected patients are more likely do develop a serious illness themselves. The body's immune system is more likely to cope if the initial exposure is just a few viral particles.
    Back on it then Simon. Nice one.
    Back to the usual today then SG. Thought you'd reined it back ever so slightly till I saw that lump in mile 3 :disappointed:  ;)
    After yesterday's easy run I was due a tough 'un today: 3.5K wu, 15.6K trail 'race', 2.8K cd
    A former British fell running champion devised the route & shared it with me. I'd recced the route a week ago & thought I was confident I could post a decent time on it. It starts outside her house so I jogged over there then ploughed into it. It's a rollercoaster of a route with 3 massive climbs/descents & lots of undulations within them + a short brutal bump after the 1st which peaks at +46%/-36%! I was reduced to a walk going up the worst of that & was seriously worried I'd overcooked it by the time I got down off it however I ploughed on to finish a very close (38s) 2nd in spite of taking a couple of wrong descents & having to U-turn back uphill which definitely cost more than a minute between them. 1700' of climb in the 'race' & a further 420' in the wu/cd so a massive day & makes up for Tuesday's flatter reps session. Legs are jelly now so probably stick to 7M tomorrow but we'll see.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Always encourages the momentum when you put the hill in early doors Jools.
    That's why when I do a certain 15mile route, from about 11miles to 14, the route has something like a 350 feet descent!

Taking ages to get out today as I'm researching segs.

Saw some weird ones on a very steep hill - sprints. When I did one, i recorded a 5.00 average - and I remember actually having battered legs for days after - which is never me.
    So the women with 2 and 3min miling are clearly some sort of aberration. But usually clicking on the run summary it's clear - but with theirs they just look like humble straight forward runs, 6-7miles 8min miling etc. So not sure if those are more the GPS error type thing. Unless they got straight in a car and took a few seconds to turn it off!!
    Left them alone anyway.

Noticed a guy holds one record - decent pace, but one I could take as a rep - and saw that he'd done it as a 10mile tempo averaging 5.40 pace! Quick check of PO10 and yes, a phenomenal runner. 70min HM etc.
    His 10m pb is 64, but he must have been doing this tempo around 66! Could many of us do a 10mile tempo 2mins slower than our raced version!?

Anyway i best get out!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    10 mile PB must have been a training run if his HM is 70 mins.....

That's a hell of a run Jools! Not surprised your legs are feeling it!

Back on the bike tonight....

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    given that COVID-19 is a respiratory thing, can someone explain to me how getting it in your eye, or even your mouth is an issue? Genuinely, I don't get it...

Well, welcome aboard Simon. I don't think Datchet have had the same message through for some reason  :D

Did a little session this morning. Nearly brought my brekkie back after the last rep. Maybe my stomach isn't as bullet proof as I'd thought!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello, I have nothing in particular to add about training, but here is a link to a brief article in the Lancet explaining the risk of contact with the eyes (which, like the nose and mouth, contain mucous membranes): https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30313-5/fulltext
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus yes id obviously penned that out just as i was going out. As yes 64 for 10m yet 70 for hm is very obviously well out of sync 😇

Lit - welcome back! Stick about a bit if you can.

Finally back. Went for a tour of Flackwell in the end.
    Starting with a right slog up the woods, putting a 9.20 or so mile in to start with...plus some messing about exploration when my  route was clogged up.

4miles on the clock on arrival i had 5 segs scoped out and see how they'd go.
    One guy owned 3 but as he'd hoovered them up a couple of weeks ago he knows the game 😂

Felt a bit rusty doing some faster maintained paces for the first time in a while. One as little as 1/3rd mile the others between 0.5-0.75m.
    Always starting a few yards early and ending late, as we all know the vagaries of segs!

Cleverely left the one needing the highest pace until last 😂.

Long story short, got 4/5, came 2nd in one i didn't even know about- but a long way second, like 20secs! I suspect i finished another rep that was similar then wandered on a few yards not knowing!

The one I missed was one of those annoying ones that had a tiny twist at the end of a straight road - so i got the route wrong despite comfortably hitting the pace. Rookie.

Trundled back with calves burning a little but a nice day's work and Sat off tomo.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol - you know what that officially makes you SG? :smiley:
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And yeah, you deffo gotta watch out for your conjunctival epithelium :smile:

And forgot to say, good news Simon - sounds like you are getting back to full strength!  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Lol - you know what that officially makes you SG? :smiley:
    A legend 🔥👄👅
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    There's a young kid at our club..bit of an irritant in most people's eyes, but young and means well really.

He's had his heart set on this one (soft) seg for weeks and has got within 1 sec...making the first mistake of strava club, publicising it.

I wouldn't have dreamed of taking it due to his efforts, but just logging into fb he's flown a right bit of personal commentary about me off, overstretching "banter" a bit.

So suddenly im tempted to get over there, take it down 40 seconds then wait til he obliterates himself to get 1sec ahead of the original then find out what's happened 😄😙

I need three people to say that's acceptable behaviour before i do it though.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Decent running there SG. Yes mile 4 has a 5-600 downhill slope in it which helps! Cheers TR - yes managing to manage the leg ok. With compression shorts and short reps I can hardy feel it.

That route sounds great Jools. Love a few hills, just muddy hills I can't stand. Standard 7.5 this morning, jut under 7mm. 8 x 1k tomorrow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Do it SG, do it :smiley: Teach that young whippersnapper a bit of respect for his elders and betters (if Strava agrees!).

Bike ride tonight. 31M and mile 30 as a bit of a TT. Strava reckons it was 330w, so I'm happy with that at the end of a ride (leaving aside how accurate or otherwise that might be!).  Traffic is really picking up mind and some absolute bell-end driving going on! 

Also bumped into the guy I was avoiding when I got stabbed! He as crossing the road just by where it happened!   Had a nice chat with him, mainly concurring that yes, blackthorns are absolute bastards :smiley:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SG Presumed you meant 54m vs 56m for the 10M since you mentioned 5:40 pace.
    Quality seg snatching mission & great ROI.
    Sounds like the youngster's asking for a lesson one way or another  :D  
    Decent biking Bus
    Kept it short today so just 9M & 1100' :p 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep what you said Jools! Obvs bashed that post out way too shoddily. Took a shocking amount of time to get out today and could see the time and temp getting on.

Definitely felt a better workout than the "no target" 1-2min burns of the last few weeks.
    Much closer to a "proper" session albeit with plenty more recovery in between than usual.

1100ft for a short day 😱
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SG mentioning ascent :smile:
    See Jools - we're dragging him in :smile:

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There was a time when he'd lambaste us for chasing pointless Strava segments Bus so there's still hope for an SG marathon. Maybe a hilly marathon in the summer?

Indoor ride this morning with Joe who's doing his vEveresting, I only planned on doing one ascent with him, which is about an hour so jumped on pre-breakfast, nearly four hours later I had to leave him to it. I was knackered and my knee was hurting. He's a serious machine at this kind of endurance stuff, no way I could have carried on at that pace. Think I will stick to short sharp stuff!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Know your strength and limitations in this game.
    Sucker punching randoms on segs seems about right at the moment :disappointed:

Half the thread have popped into the cycle extravaganza by the look of it
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - mentioning ascent is the new humid/windy - great disclaimer material, and we need more and more with age!

Had a look at the Marlow half (old) route a few times for a potential dance round tomorrow. As long as I don't end up running down Rotten Row this time I'm sure any minor deviances from the proper route will be ok!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That sounds tough Reg, fair play to Joe.

Good to see Simon going well, hope the 1k reps went well

SG - hows the easier pace going?

After 2 months of easy base (apart from the odd 3min reps session), i gave the engine a rev with  BAC style 3x12min (3mins) within my 16m today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR we're not talking much odds so far. More a case of monitoring how the week goes and easing Monday down.

Yesterday was a bit of a thrash so if today hadn't been a rest day itd have needed easier for sure!
    Tomorrow is a hilly route so will just ease in and see what happens. No pace goal.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you putting speed in. One pace is little use, whether its steady or very easy. Have to mix around a bit.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Agreed, but it was a good idea to get some easy base in. Im going to vary it for a few weeks, as theres gains to be had from different stimuli, and i dont need to get too marathon specific for a while yet, although im never too far away from mara training.

I agree with yr plan tomorrow, we'll see what happens to easy pace too when you push the others sessions a bit more too.

I treated myself to a gadget for my birthday, but im not coming chasing your segments.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Quality reps as ever Simon

Nice seg hunting SG; still don't get it but each to their own though 

Good to see you adding speed TR to that phenomenal endurance; talking of which Jools amazing distance and climbing as usual!

That cycling seems unreal Reg and if Joe is a level up from you he must have stamina to dream of🙂

Tried a parkrun course for the 1st time since lockdown today. 19'51 which was a bit worse than hoped for. Not so easy running alone and went at Noon so a bit hot and windy too. Add in slowing on the canal section a couple of times for walkers and family cyclists and maybe not so bad. Should try again sometime soon and maybe a diff course, perhaps one I usually run better at  
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That sounds like a tough 16M TR,  bet you're glad you opted for just the 8 yesterday. Inspired by the SoS podcast? How's the gadget? Do your runs match expectations?
    Fair play Reg & awesome sustained power from Joe: he was still pushing 270+W well into the 9th hour when I checked in!! He's now carrying on ticking along at around 200W just to get the 10,000m in. Lunatic ;)
    Not too shabby though Pete.
    I went back to my local parkrun & paced my daughter to a PB - only 28:00 but 1:40 quicker than her previous one (set a fortnight before lockdown on an easier course) without any real run training. She's been jog/walking her horses on long reins during lockdown - did 5M the other day. I then recced the next 'race' with my fell running friend & her dog so another 6.6M of very easy to add to the 5K but I was hungry for a hard workout so went & smashed the village loop (2.26M & 325') CR by 2 minutes before attempting the 200m@13% segment again but this time with the gravity assisted lead-in. Absolutely staggering by the end but knocked 8s off my PB B) Just need to find another 17 for the CR :o
    Saturday's FT score:14M & 1200' 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Totally that TR - normal run pace is based on circumstance. If you're doing flat out peaking sessions and running doubles, chances are you'll be running a lot of those runs slower - especially on the second run of a day!

Right now, it's singles, loads of rest, no commute, no work, and base level sessions - so it's natural to see normal runs come out a bit faster. I did see a definite turning point a few months after that vertigo though where the long run moved from 7.15-20 to low 7s.

But monitoring it is the key - I'd felt something the other week and a couple of slogs late on, recognised it, backed off a little and now I don't feel it as much. Pretty sure it was tight calves going up the chain.

Enjoy the watch - have a crack at a few segs :)

Pete - as per Reg, I was where you are now about 500 pages back, but even more vocal.

I couldn't see the point of smashing yourself in training to take a 0.4mile seg from Salty Balls Reach to Dirtbag Lake.

But then I can't see the point of virtuals - you're competing but on totally different routes in totally different conditions.

However, all this sort of stuff ups engagement and motivation and can't be knocked.

Is it any more worthwhile doing reps in some random field? Or is it more fun adding that little competitive element on top?

As long as you don't get too into them, and find you're doing them on easy days, or instead of proper sessions for too long, they deffo have their place.

Popped in on the main man Joe's epic youtube show today, and hung about for a fair while. Makes it look so easy, that someone like me who has no idea can't really relate to.

I suppose I just need to remember how I step off my stationary cycle after a very occasional 20min crack both bored mentally even with the tv on, and because I've killed the panel that has the stats on (hard to motivate with no idea on figures beyond time!), and dribbling in sweat, and think about what is probably a much higher pace, but for 9 hours longer :D

Good to see a few of the thread pop in on the live chat - great facility to throw some support in.

Made me realise we definitely need some sort of thread meet up or two post haste when it's all back up - and even maybe a thread lunch or something

(ED - alright son, calm it down)