Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Toro - good to see you, where are you based now? I remember you being pretty bouncy after a sharp 10k at stubbington.

Menn - another tough session, good work. Your coach is making you work.

Easy 8m here to break the double digit streak. Days leave today, so making the most of being allowedouy more, by going walking.

Turned 53 this week (someone pointed me at the latest science in sport podcast).

Got a gadget on order after all.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    TR - Been in Northwood (NW London) for the last couple of years after a couple of years in Australia.  Considering going back.  Trying to lose weight - hit 90Kg in winter - definitely not in Sub 3 shape! Now at 84Kg.  How are you?   
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Toro - you havnt been running much then! I missed a year through injury a few years back, but have scraped back to sub 3 with some decent mileage. Trying to stay there for a few more years if i can.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Many happy returns TR, that still sounds quite young to me  :)  Hope you've got some beers chilling.
    Toro.. good to see you back on here albeit a few pounds over.  A mate of mine used to live in Northolt not far from you, can't understand why you would go back to Australia  ;)
    Joe.. that's a decent ride out.  I always find anything much over 30m needs a bit of fuel consumption beforehand.
    Menn.. That's a testing mixed pace session done, good stuff.

29m on the bike today, just warm enough for an enjoyable ride.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Happy bday TR!  Amazing mileage...

anyone spot DanA on WWTBAM??!
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Belated happy birthday TR. Good news on the gadget :) I was eyeing an upgrade but have opted for more shoes instead. 

Working stupid hours atm as have a deadline. Still managing to get out and do a bit. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Wardi - benefits of having grown up sons  is they bought me some beer.

Selbs - is he better at that than darts?

SJ - i hope you weren't still working at 2am.

After a couple of base miles (except the odd 3min rep session) i did 16m inc 3x12min today, good to wind up the revs a bit.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    TR -  Nice run!  Think I'll do a 12-14ish tomorrow.  

I was down to 75kg last summer but I wasn't prepared for both the mental and physical recovery from the Dragon's back.  Hit me for 6.  I did a load of prep for it including the 3 peaks fell race and Edale skyline and was definitely on for top third but sprained ankle on day 2 and finished mid pack.  Kept it to about 12hr days so it wasn't too bad. Then two months later I supported a Bob Graham attempt Leg 3 and was only just hanging on despite being in reasonable shape.  Had to skip Scafell and descend to stay with group!  Then I did a bit to tick along but nothing much and imbibed.  Been out for 10km this AM so I'm at 16 miles this week and just rode up the Zwift Alpe so fitness will return.  
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    And happy birthday for yesterday!  
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Happy birthday, 53 can be a golden age, which gadget?
    Selbs - WWTBAM?
    Wardi - RJR - Sounds nice sounding bike rides, done a few myself this week. 
    Another ticking over week, 50 d&d all at a pretty steady pace, I really do need that prospect of a race on the near horizon to push me into any kinda of hurt zone at the mo. But enjoying just running the easy stuff. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Toro - sounds like a lot of running off my radar then.

OO - who wants to be a ............i think you can pencil in a lower key race for sept/oct if it helps get you out the door, vlm has no chance (as a mass race), vlm 2021 is still probably a doubt to be fair. All of my summer races have been moved now, Brighton would be next in Sept...........was going to get  garmin 45 ended up getting a 245, it hasnt arrived yet.

SPO wanted me to walk with her still today, so i did 2hrs with her and then went straight out for 7m easy. Planning to mix it up a bit for a few weeks seeing as ive done a lot of double digit 8mm days recently.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    OO- who wants to be a millionaire I presume. is that 50 miles running on top of some cycling?
    Toro- one hell of a weight swing. that Dragon race looks like one of those races that sounds great on paper and then the reality is just brutal.
    TR - happy birthday. didn't fancy 53km on your birthday?

20 miles running this week and the 45 miles on the bike. I reckon equivalent to around 30 miles running overall. happy with that. same next week please.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    My nerve affected leg wasn't happy today, cut a 10m run down to 4m as it was painful most of the way down the back of my right leg.  By contrast I had a run yesterday and could hardly feel it - that is the nature of these niggles, they move around and some days are better than others.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!    
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday TR - trust you celebrated it fully.

Is your nerve issue back related Wardi? 

I cut down a 16 steady after 9 today due to GI issues (I had them before i set off) - I think i head worked myself out of it tbh, but it is a cut back week and I felt like I was flogging a dead horse. Pointless really so  jogged home for 12 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - it crossed my mind to do some sort of bday event, but i was working anyway.

Thats a pisser Wardi.

Menn - you only lost a few miles, youve put in some cracking sessions lately so are well in credit........had a few beers given to me which was ace, still got some of them amazingly.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you were struggling too Menn.  No, I think I have the same problem as 4 years ago - the trigger point is in the glute so possibly piriformis/sciatica related.  A cortisone jab sorted it last time.
    Cheering myself up with an Indian takeaway and a few beers shortly
  • DanA's WWTBAM appearance was a bit like many of his marathons: looks good on paper, puts in all the hard graft, starts well, starts to come a bit stuck at halfway then crashed and burned.  Probably followed by a pint or two at the Red Lion (or equivalent).

Still, he left the studio with more than when he went in, so fair play.

Sorry to read of another injury Wardi.

In the absence of available golf courses this weekends LR was a 15 miler, mainly off-road, trying to avoid busy locations.  Failed a couple of times at that, so it was a bit stop-start at times, but that's OK right now.  I have no speed whatsoever!  The day before, junior had announced that he had to do some sort of distance challenge for his school, so we went out and rode 55 miles, which was about 30 too far for his current fitness level!  Good fun though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the beer and curry helped Wardi

CD - standard Dan performance then, your lad did well to do 55m.

Standard monday mlr 15m here.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. good Monday miles in the bag.  Yes indeed the Indian meal was excellent fare, just the ticket for medicinal purposes.   
    CD.. that's a decent run/bike weekend.  55m is a long ride for a young lad!  Actually my nerve niggle is the same thing I had in mid-March, it just ebbs & flows and some days are better than others.
    As if to confirm this I braved a few miles today and just felt a slight numbness but none of yesterday's pain.  Very enjoyable! 
    edited May 2020
    TR - yes up until 2am. Sleep pattern is all over the place currently. Hopefully going to calm down a little now. Not long to go before game has to be completed. Enjoy the new toy. As I said I almost went for latest Polar (I like their HR data) but stuck with the one I have which didnt need replacing tbf. 

Wardi - you wont be able to get that injection from docs for a while I assume? 

Toro - I got tired just reading your post! 

CD - nicely done getting Junior out for his challenge. My lad is still hitting the treadmill so I am hopeful he has turned a corner with regards his health and fitness.

Menn - as TR mentioned, a cut back wont harm you one bit. In fine fettle otherwise. 

I bagged another steady week (for me) despite the crazy work schedule. Funny, as before last years two marathons I hardly went over 50 mpw but now 60 seems par score.

Anyway, did a couple of gentle sessions last week, some tempo and some very short efforts 15 x 45 secs just to get legs turning over. Then finished the week by heading down to the edge of Peak district again for some trail running. Quite enjoying the trails and hills currently, even bought some inov8's ! 

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Happy recent-birthday TR! Can't believe you've got a gadget -- but I'm sure you'll use it well. You seem to have been cooking nicely training-wise for a good while now, shame about the lack of races -- maybe a virtual one will come along that gives you a good chance to test where you're at.

I was feeling mildly under the weather last week so I slacked off a bit for my club virtual 5K, staying some 10 bpm lower (and thus 1 min slower) than the one I did the week before. I've been following the King's College Covid Symptom Study avidly, and diligently logging my state in their app every day, and once I confessed to that I wasn't feeling quite right they sent me off for a test. Interesting experience, came back negative today, as expected really (I didn't have the right symptoms, but then that's what they want to learn). Feeling OK now, anyway.

Bad luck on the piriformis/sciatica resurgence Wardi -- that's a real pain, I recall.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - hopefully you are on the mend again now.

SJ - a mix of work and training. Hopefully the work prssure will be lifted soon when yr game is finished.

CW - im sure theres nothing better than a passed Covid test to make you feel better.

The gadget arrived earlier, ill get round to opening it sometime.

8m easy and a few physical jerks today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I'll just keep ticking over as the condition will allow, 7m today, it got a bit warm this afternoon.
    Good news on the test Charlie.  I hear CC2/Speedy Goth had Covid a few weeks back but recovered well.
    SJ.. sounds like a nice run in the peak district.  BTW my physio works in a shared medical/wellness  centre, shut for the foreseeable sadly.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    SJ - Impressive to keep the running up when you're so busy. Work used to be the biggest blocker for running (apart from injury I suppose).
    Charlie - Relief i'm sure on the test result. I guess anything else would have been a bit of a surprise. I'm a little surprised by how readily they're suggesting people get tested. My partner was feeling a bit tired and sick last week but no Covid specific symptoms and NHS were suggesting she get tested / call 999. We didn't but I guess they're overly cautious atm.

7 miles yesterday and a quick run this morning to pick up some ice creams. 9 o clock in the morning but already a sweatfest. Enjoying the garden time so happy to suffer a little more on the run.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    SJ - life gets in the way of running way to much!!
    7m easy seems to be the order of the day - I was supposed to do mine early but got stuck at work so will do it when things cool down a bit later
    Good news on test Charlie
    10 for me yesterday with a 7.5m  block of alternating 1.5m, 5.40/6.20. Burnt my face.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Ha ha StJ.

Was a year ago today we started.  By now I was climbing Tryfan - it was so hot.  I drank 1.5L on the ascent.  Missed the line down to Pen y Pass so had to scramble.  Then on to Crib Goch.  My legs could really feel the Watkin path decent.

An easy 5 miles this AM although with the hills there's always a reason to get the HR up.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Actually I was perversely a bit disappointed in my Covid test -- if it had come back positive, yet I had barely felt ill, that would have felt like a win. (I know immunity may not last that long, but it would be good to be immune for a while.)

Toro -- ah gosh, I ran the Snowdon horseshoe once. Search for 'cwartcam' on YouTube and you'll find my back catalogue, I made a video of it for posterity. Not recommended unless you're bored :-)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - thats another tasty mixed pace tempo.

10m inc 10x3min today, as i hadnt done it for a few weeks, it was awesome weather to be out running round the lanes early doors, i sucked up some cold and rsin in the dark in those lanes over winter, so today was a joy.

Looks like vlm have announced a cancellation date to me.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Agreed TR, London is rammed on VLM day so I think they're preparing for the inevitable.  Nice session in the sun BTW.
    Menn.. ditto, that sounds like another tough mixed workout.
    Joe.. I hope you were quick enough to get those ice creams back pre melting point 😊
    5.3m this morning, already pretty toasty by 9.30am.
    Just seen that physios, chiropractors etc now have permission to re-open so I will seek out some treatment once it's available.
    Oh yes nice one on the negative Charile. Myself and Mrs SJ were tested a few weeks ago. Apparently I qualified by proxy of being her other half and her hospital insisted all staff got tested. Negative for us both. The squadies doing the test were heavy handed to say the least... I was full on gagging. 

TR - nice session. I did 3 x 10 minutes last night on the tow path. Busy as usual and i was hanging on during the last effort. Hows the gadget? Will you be signing up to Strava too and abandoning the Jonsey life forever ? :smile:

Menn - get the after sun on! Nice session. I might do some of that alternating every minute HM, MP, 10k pace stuff. Gets the juices flowing. 

RJR - ooof risky business running back with lollies. As Wardi said hope you got back in time. I I assume you swung by shop when almost home? 

I left tonight's easy run until 7pm ish but it was still very hot then. Shows you how unaclimatised I am as really felt quite bad. 

Agree re London. Its inevitable really. I guess its insurance issuee again stalling them making a firm decision. I haven't bothered to look for hotels etc.