Overdone it?

Comments

• macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I did 5 this morning to make a 24.5M ( just inside my stretch target :wink:  ) week off 4 runs. I did consider stopping at 23 but felt good. Stopped and walked the last mile home uphill so was reasonably sensible.

I’m thinking 5 runs and 28M this week.
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Well done mace (no Pom-poms mind!).

I managed my 2 and 10 to finish off my 31 mile week.

Aim for similar next week.

Pete good to hear you are coming out the other side of whatever you have had - there are a lot of the UK waiting for that antibody test and when it comes out we’ll all be hoping we’ve had it already!

Cheers
  • Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Everyone's flying along 😀

Rounded out the week with 13, 8 of which were at a guesstimated marathon pace. Was harder than I would have liked, but it was pretty breezy and hilly... Need to try and lock into the effort a bit more consistently. Just over 40 for the week.

Well done Rich - you might be top miler last week depending on how fast Lit is building back to 50.

Rich what is your guesstimated marathon pace then and how have you guesstimated it?

Presumably you are doing the 18 weeks up to 55 plan - in my version of the book that's a 36 mile week? 
    edited May 2020
    I'm using 8 minute miles as MP, loosely based a few harder sessions I've done including a 5k time trial.

I did an extra 4m recovery run as I've been running 5 days a week for a while now. I'll be sticking to the plan from this week.

What's your long-term aim Skinny, do you have your eye on any (post Covid) races? 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Rich is the winner - I've been feeling a bit tired recently so I didn't run on Saturday (just cycled a few miles to buy amazing strawberries from local farm - 6 punnets for £10!) and then cut my long run down to 8.5 miles on Sunday for a total of 32.6 miles this week. Hope I'm not coming down with something...
    That's a bargain on the strawberries, they are more like €5 a punnet locally (Wexford strawberries are pretty damn good though). The burning question is, how long does it take you to get through 6 punnets? That's a lot of strawberries, do they have some little known antiviral properties?!
    I'm using 8 minute miles as MP, loosely based a few harder sessions I've done including a 5k time trial.

I did an extra 4m recovery run as I've been running 5 days a week for a while now. I'll be sticking to the plan from this week.

What's your long-term aim Skinny, do you have your eye on any (post Covid) races? 

And is that a target for a marathon - sub 3:30? Good luck with the plan, it broke me twice between 14 and 16 weeks but you're a lot younger than me and loads of people use it.

I've learnt not to think too long term but, as I said a few pages ago, I think it would be fun to be able to start the plan I did on page 1 of the thread from start of July which was based on 30 to 40 miles for 14 weeks with one session a week building to a target half (which I doubt will actually happen this year). Nevertheless the training sessions themselves would be like 52 year old me v 44 year old me so I can imagine gleaning some fun from that.

To do that I need to be running 30 mile weeks without any sessions fairly comfortably by end of June - last 2 weeks have been that level but we'll see how it goes.

It would be even more fun if mace did the plan with me but he ignored me a few pages ago either because he doesn't want to or he missed the suggestion or he's worried (a bit like me) that his running won't even survive to the start of the plan on first full week in July.

You've maybe eaten too many strawberries Lit. 6 punnets for £10 does sound good value!

That was exactly my thinking with the marathon plan. I wanted to be running 30 plus miles a week before I started. I worked my way up to that over 4+ months all easy running, I had to cut back a couple of times with niggles.

I think I had 6 weeks over 30 miles before starting the plan.

It's the most sensible build up of mileage I've ever managed. But I've been able to introduce a session a week pretty easily... So far! 

Looking forward to seeing how the two versions of Skinny compare. 

...and yes, 3:30 loose target. But happy to move that up or down depending how the training goes. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    We gave one punnet to an elderly neighbour, and there are now 2.5 punnets left so we have eaten 2.5 punnets between two of us since Saturday, which I think is reasonable.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Why do strawberries smell so bad in the fridge but taste so nice ?

About 35 miles for me last week. So Rich wins. I did hill sprints on the golf course the other day as my 400m loop was chockablock. 

(I am losing track of which day is which; all days are now 'the other day')
    literatin said:
    We gave one punnet to an elderly neighbour, and there are now 2.5 punnets left so we have eaten 2.5 punnets between two of us since Saturday, which I think is reasonable.
    Sounds like a primary school maths question.

Were you over or under par Muddy? I used to run round a golf course as part of a long run just to break it up. I'd start at the first tee and run tee to green for the whole 18, about 4 miles by time you include distance from green to next tee on each hole.
  • I really enjoyed the hill sprints - felt great to stretch my legs - and got a round of applause from someone out walking the course so above par ! The course reopens for golfers this week, so I will be back on the periphery as per normal runs.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Great to see the page busy with chat, hopefully over the coming months this will push us on too :) good to see you back out running Muddy.

MP sessions Rich, fingers crossed for your marathon

How's DT?

7mls earlier this morning and hoping for some more runs this week, all easy pace.

Hi Kevin, everything crossed here.

All easy running has served me well up til now. Do you have a target race or has it been cancelled/postponed?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Still building slowly, running every other day. Can't remember what day I last posted. Just back from 5 x 5 mins easy of 1 min. Bit stiff now in lower back, but then 10 days ago I felt the same off 3 x 4 mins.

Definitely feeling fitter and my hr stats are improving. It's amazing of such nominal exercise that you can actually get fitter. I've also now started introducing other training. So last night I did a turbo session that my coaching lot put on. Going to try and do that  at least twice a week now I've set the thing up. I can work to intensity that I am some way off doing with running. I also did a strength and conditioning session yesterday and bums and tums today from the coaching team.

Also had an e-mail from the back consultant over weekend saying that he had now submitted my mri referral as he will be able to see me in person in coming week as premier league were about to vote to return to training and on that basis he must be authorised to treat players so equally he can treat me.

Good to see everyone else progressing with some ambition.

I had my covid result back today as negative. I kind of wanted a positive as the symptoms that tick a few boxes are more than acceptable. However, it means I am just suffering with worse than normal hayfever.

• macemace ✭✭✭

It would be even more fun if mace did the plan with me but he ignored me a few pages ago either because he doesn't want to or he missed the suggestion or he's worried (a bit like me) that his running won't even survive 

Apologies, it did register but I went back to page 1, couldn’t see the plan then must have got distracted and forgot about it. 

So, what’s the plan ? 
    edited May 2020
    Oh I don’t know details like that but it was about 30 to 40 miles a week and had one midweek session every week and it ended with me running a 1:29 half - I just thought if i was fit enough to start it then I’d just see what the next week held - somewhere on here I wrote it out week by week but I’m quite happy just to see what it says each week. One week I had a cold so that should be quite easy!
    I misread that as ending every week with a 1:29 half. Easy for you to say 😉

2012 HM training build up (all standard weeks 4 runs) the quality run always preceded by a 3m warm up and 1m cd incl in total weekly mileage, all other runs at easy pace

Week 1 32.7 miles incl 6m at HMP, 13m LSR

Week 2 5.5m - ill

Week 3 34.1 m incl 3*2m at HMP, 13.1m LSR

Week 4 36.2m incl 6.5 at MP, 13.4 LSR

Week 5 23.5m incl 8 at Steady

Wk 6 38m incl 13m LSR Monday, 13.5m multiterrain at mixed effort Sunday

Wk 7 22m injury reduced, all easy running

Wk 8 35m incl 3 at MP followed by 3 at HMP, 13m LSR

Wk 9 33.5m incl 45mins alternating every 5mins between MP & HMP, 13.5m LSR

Wk 10 31.8m incl 10k race, 13.8m LSR

Wk 11 28.5m incl [2.5m Easy, 2.5m Tempo * 2], 14.5m (8m easy, 3m steady, 3m MP)

Wk 12 34m incl 4 * 1.2 @ 10k pace, 15m LSR

Wk 13 33m incl 6m at MP, 14 with 7.5 Easy to Steady, 3m MP 3m HMP (done on Saturday)

Wk 14 28m incl the HM Race on Sunday 1:29:08image 

2013 pre HM training - this began after a 6 week period of injury interrupted training and was initially focussed at 10k then latterly HM (but the training for both distances is compatible). There was higher mileage before the period of injury, some faster work, (and obviously I already had 2012 in the bank) and I am now doing 5 runs a week. The quality sessions also had a 3m wu, 5*strides over about half a mile, the session, then a 1m WD. Also most weeks now include two quality efforts plus LSR. Rest of mileage made up of easy/recovery pace running.

Wk 1 35.2m incl 6 at MP, 12m LSR

Wk 2 36.7m incl 6m starting at MP then building to Tempo pace, 3 * 1m at 10k pace (2min recoveries), 12m LSR

Wk 3 40.9m incl 30min alternating every 5 mins MP to HMP; 7 * 1k at 10k pace off 90 sec recoveries, 13.4m LSR

Wk 4 38.4m incl 30 min alternating every 3 mins MP to Tempo; 6m easy with 8*75m strides spread throughout, 14.2 LSR

Wk 5 37.5m incl 40 min alternating every 45 mins between MP to HMP; parkrun; 12m LSR

Wk 6 30.6m (easier week as 10k race next wk), incl 3 * 1m at HMP,Tempo,10k; 10m LSR

Wk 7 36m incl 10k race; 13m LSR

Wk 8 31.2m incl 8m with 8*75 strides; 14.5m progressive run 7.5m easy to steady, 3m MP, 3m MP, 1m CD

Wk 9 41.1m incl 8m with 8*75m strides, 3*2m at HMP with 90 sec recoveries, 16.1m LSR

Wk 10 (slight niggle so 2 wk taper) 32.6m incl [2.5m easy, 2.5m tempo repeat], 10m LSR

Wk 11 33m incl 3 * 1m at HMP, HM RACE 1:26:43image

Yep - Lit is, of course, right as ever.

So my initial pace zones in 2012 were based on a 5.3 mile flat out run I had done in training at 6:50m/mile pace which left me wrecked. SG equated that to a 6:52m/m 10k and so my initial pace zones were:-

Easy 8:30 - 9:00

Steady 7:40 - 8:15

MP 7:30

HMP 7:10

Tempo 7:05

10k 6:52

After my 10k race (noted in the 2012 training plan) the pace zones were all dropped by 5 seconds.

For 2013 my pace zones were based off a 5m race in 31:17 and were as follows throughout the training.

Easy 7:50 - 8:45

Steady 7:05 - 7:35

MP 6:50 - 6:55

HMP 6:30 - 6:35

Tempo 6:25

10k 6:15 - 6:20

5k 6:05 - 6:10

edited May 2020
    Mace - was bored so went and found them - the thread was funny back then - we talked about all sorts.

2012 would be the plan I am suggesting doing. Hopefully without the scheduled Sick and Injured weeks.

Pace zones also slotted in to a third post which was Lit will be pleased to note was her idea for which I gave her full credit.

Cheers

PS I just posted 2013 in case anyone wanted to see it and saved me going looking again.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I like how your third quoted post there has me being right at the beginning. :) Meanwhile we are down to less than one punnet of strawberries, and I've just eaten the last apple, so things are getting pretty desperate. It's lucky that our supermarket delivery is coming tonight with our weekly supply of 24 apples (between 2) and some emergency tins of fruit. Oh and I went for a run.
    I'm eating an apple a day and half a bag of satsumas - also obviously at least one of the devil's unmentionable fruit. 

We get organic meat (about once a month) and veg (weekly) delivered to our house (very middle class I know) - one thing it has done has improved the quality of our meals because you can't have many crap meals or the vegetables don't get eaten.

How was your energy?

I'm at 4,1.5.

The 1.5s are supposed to be done at recovery pace but I was late this morning so trashed in at about 7:20m/miling in the rain. No run now till my 8 miler home tomorrow night in hopefully baking hot conditions.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Haha, you and I can challenge Pete in his game of Middle Class Lockdown Bingo, Skinny! We get our milk delivered in glass bottles (from which I make my own yoghurt), and we've been ordering our local organic meat from a new farmers' co-op that runs weekly - you order by Wednesday and then they drop off your locally-produced meat, veg, salad and (erm) chocolate on Saturday. I think I would find a meal without vegetables a bit disappointing so it's lucky I live with someone who feels the same and that we are both good at cooking.

Energy much better than at the weekend, thanks! Also found it easier to get out of bed. Still not quite boinging out of bed at 6:30am raring to go, though, I have to say.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Well I’m up for giving it a go but some of those sessions look hard !!  

3M Monday which was surprisingly laboured, rest yesterday as I felt quite tired, 9M this morning.

I think Monday and yesterday may be signs that a cut back is due. Unthinkable based on the mileage of the good old days but considering how little I’ve been doing is pretty obvious. 
    mace said:
    Well I’m up for giving it a go but some of those sessions look hard !!  

3M Monday which was surprisingly laboured, rest yesterday as I felt quite tired, 9M this morning.

I think Monday and yesterday may be signs that a cut back is due. Unthinkable based on the mileage of the good old days but considering how little I’ve been doing is pretty obvious. 
    Hi Mace - if you feel like a cut back then you're probably right.

I do it in 5 mile chunks over 8 weeks so for example - last 2 weeks 30,31, this week 32, next week cut back 18, then 32,33,34 then back to 18.

Then the next 8 weeks would be 35 to 39 following same pattern with the cut back being maybe 20.

But if I do the Schedule from start of thread then I won't be doing that. 

No obligation to give it a go and also no limit on how easy you choose your pace zones either - I have no idea at the moment so will probably start out trying the exact same zones. Still got to get to the start though which is 5 or 6 weeks away.

Cheers
    edited May 2020
    literatin said:
    Yes but did you win the quiz Skinny?
    In exciting non running news we did win the quiz by one point last night on the last question - my learning over the last week of all the US presidents coming up trumps (well actually Trumans). 

EDIT: I've been learning a 'thing' each week for last few weeks not specifically related to this quiz just quizzes generally - so three weeks ago it was US States and Capitals, two weeks ago it was the periodic table but I got bored with that and failed, last week it was US Presidents and this week it was going to be UK Prime Ministers but going back lots of them were called Earl and Lord and Marquess and were PM more than once and I'm not sure I can be arsed - might go back and retry the Periodic Table.