Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    No no TR...they're starting to charge but you don't need the paid for version to do anything beyond see lower than top 10 in the leaderboards.
    (From what i can see)

Maybe some "analysis" you can't do. Or plotting routes.but could be ok
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    So can you still see the top 10 in segments you want to chase?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I guess if you find the flint it's a good option then, I probably have some, I have several unused kits, I do take them on races where I chance one spare tube as a get me back to race HQ measure, the only time I needed it I had a Co2 malfunction and had to run back with bike anyway!

Coincidentally I have just changed my road bike to tubeless, although I f*cked one of them up and it's slowly deflating as the sealant leaked back out of the valve core opening, I'll have another go at it, I hope it's worth the learning curve and setting up hassle.

Nice session on the comeback trail SC, I also have the same issue with earphones, happy in the winter with a beanie but they fall out in the summer, not that I run with them but I did on the cycle commute back in the old days!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Strava has always been too good to be free and it’s no surprise they’ve never made a profit. I pay but it’s always seemed more like a donation rather than an upgrade. How long they can continue without adverts I don’t know though as I’m not sure this is going to give them a huge subscription bump, we will see.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    So far the changes haven't affected the web site version but I expect they will by the end of the week at latest.
    I agree Reg - the free product was too good to last.
    A quick check reveals 23/95 of the athletes I follow pay for a subscription. Personally I was never convinced of the benefits to be gained by paying but I will miss the Training Log graphics & matched run features. I liked the Route Planner better than the Garmin version and had just started to use it more - mainly due to having more time thanks to the lockdown. Part of the reason I was using it was because it revealed segments en route - not all of which appear when doing a simple segment explore.
    I've just been looking at My Segments - apparently I 'created' 20 bizarre run segments back in 2013. This was when I first joined Strava - I was one of the earliest runners to use it round here & there weren't any segments already so I think Strava just made them for me! Anyone else?
    Those might be similar to those one's you've just been out getting SG. Some of them I'm the only person to have ever run them & in some cases only once. Usually when I was on some LSR muddy slog too. :D There are 2 on the SWCP down on the Lizard peninsula. They at least have got a legitimate number of runners/attempts at them however I know I didn't deliberately create them since both have been titled: South West Coast Path Climb

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Absolutely epic cycling effort your Everesting Joe; got to go down as a top contender for thread performance of the year (except for the minor issue of being the wrong sport ;)). Fantastic performance in the Sherpa Tenzing role too Reg and liked the fact you just threw in some cycles of the descent too!

If I did my maths right that equates to about 125 miles at an average gradient upwards of 5% with no real flat bits or descents for respite, just the 10 min breaks. Obvs there will be sections much steeper than 5% too! Just incredible, more than London 100 with climbing all the way.

Usual high calibre of training from Simon, Jools, SG and TR. Good to see you enjoying the cycling Bus; great to see you back at it Matt too. Great tales of the need for a virtual badge Reg; that's the danger of being hooked on Strava. I'm very new to it but trying not to get involved with segs and the like. Agree with you it does seem to offer a lot to be available for free and feel guilty I didn't take the subscription version now you mention it; maybe I will swap. 

On Bus' question I find it pretty incredible you could not only locate the puncture, but ease out just the relevant bit of the tube and apply the patch. Well done anyway. I'm with Joe and Reg in only ever bothering with tube replacements for the last 20+ years. Even that is usually major hassle for me, as can't seem to get decent pressure in via my mini-pump (3-4 bar is good for that, whereas 7 would be done in a few seconds from the track pump). Then there's the other hassle of refitting the tube into the tyre without a pinch puncture. I tried this supposedly great idea of the sealant substance you can inject via the valve a while back and that was hopeless; mess everywhere and next to zero inflation; assume I cocked up the application somewhere :/ Anyone else tried those and what is the verdict on tubeless? Sounds ideal until you get a flat; heard some say you just then fit a normal tube, but others saying trying to do that is a major palaver!

Running wise little to add; only a 10k with my daughter yesterday and, as that distance is still long for her, was a sedate pace. Cycled with her this morning to Windsor and back via Datchet and Priest Hill for those that know the area. 40k ride with a fairly steep hill thrown in; nothing at all in the Joe scheme of things, but a good ride for a 14 year old girl on a hybrid. Did my best speed for ages over a similar route on Sunday; av 17.7 mph which is still slow compared to the "pros" on here, but not too far off the mere mortals like Bus and Jools I guess. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools my recent segs are proper ones I'll have you know 😄.
    The 1-2 runner ones were just ones I noticed some geezer had a fair few of.

Thought id checked strava and now you only see top tens?

Could be fun to set some up with scandalous names and enjoy someone discovering them 😄

6th week of the "zone slower than hmp" tempo then.
    Knew it might be hot so got up a whopping 30mins earlier. Then still oafed around.

Same route as last two weeks. Slight climb to Wycombe's ground surprisingly into wind which was unexpected.
    Then to the main road with the horrible sharp short up.

Realised at this point it was gonna be a weather affected one as it was blooming boiling and i was only just turning out a bit under 6.20s.
    Continued on that way. Legs not particularly feeling hard done by, but definitely at an effort o didn't especially want to increase.
    Almost considered sacking it at 5 but can't ruin the 6 week comparison.

And in for 6.20.

Gives an interesting flow

6.10-6.25-6.10-6.20-6.11-6.20

6.10/11 good conditions
    6.25 very windy
    6.20 quite windy
    6.20 hot

Probably makes perfect sense there!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I’m a bit behind, not sure why.

So far behind that I’m very late in congratulating Joe. Brilliant effort that. Very much wishing that I’d joined you for an ascent now and I don’t really have an excuse as SG alerted me to your YouTube feed on the day (thanks).

SG - have you used the route planner on Strava? If you turn on the heat maps thingy then it’s really helpful to see where you need to go when it’s not obvious as others have always worked it out before. You can always go the extra step of uploading back to your Garmin if you’re really concerned.

Pete - I ran in Buttersteep Forest at the weekend. Ever been in there? Couldn’t believe how wonderful and wonderfully deserted it was. You sent me a DM. I replied using the option I got in the email version I received. Does that work? Just wondering if you think I’ve just been rude?!

Been doing my normal bit of running. Trying also to get some DDers to sign up to the virtual BMAF relays but the tech is a bit beyond some of the older Masters Athletes, including me!!

Just a reminder that if you’re in to data and not seg hunting that Fetch is really, really powerful and imho a better alternative to Strava in that regard.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool said:

Pete -  You sent me a DM. I replied using the option I got in the email version I received. Does that work? Just wondering if you think I’ve just been rude?!

Would be surprised if that works!

Let's trial it..send me a PM someone, and i'll reply on the email!

ps never used the route planner, and now that's going to the expensive subscripsh, no chance son.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Didn't get your response Wool; no worries though. Just re-send as an email to peterjmannion@aol.com or you can just reply via the RW platform (no need for email that way); has worked when I've send stuff to others like Bus and Aley.

Was over your way again today on our bikes; the Long Walk end of WGP was already busy by about 10am when we got there! Gave the teen her first go at Priest Hill as we came back on the Eastern side of WGP today. Some parts get over 10% gradient, but she was up it quicker than me; the benefits of youth and being light!

Used to run a lot around Buttersteep and all the Eastern side of Swinley there. I don't so much these days as I think I got a bit concerned just how empty it was and that no-one would ever find me if anything went wrong (phone signal there was patchy too!). Nowadays prefer the trails around Sunningdale Golf Course and Ascot racecourse perimeter road for faster stuff. Buttersteep sure is deserted though, even more so in winter, but prone to mud and flooding then. Used to be good for off road riding too but they stopped that once the main Swinley became such a hub. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Busy on here today :smile:

Nice tempo SG, but don't you come on here with all that running stuff - this is a cycling thread now dontcha know :wink:

Pete/Reg - don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of puncture related mares over the years. This one was pure luck in finding the flint straight away! The Schwalbe marathons are not fat, but they are comfortable, seem to last a long time and that's the first puncture I've had with them (other than a sidewall tear some time ago whihc nothing would have survived) which is worth more than a bit of extra speed in my book :smile:

Tried a little jog when out for a walk at lunchtime. Can't say it screamed of progress or a decent run just yet!

Hey ho, that and the shoulder sill giving me gyp makes me feel like I'm falling apart! 22M easy bike tonight. Beautiful evening for it, even if I did have to climb all the hills in the saddle cos of the shoulder!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Now that was hot today. Especially across mid day. Didn't even bother taking a vest and actually put some sun lotion on!

Had vaguely checked some of that random guy's segs out but i quickly realised this was a day for trotting around.
    Did ease the quarter of a mile seg out. Moderate climb only needing 8.30 pace, had to be done.
    But swerved the bigger longer climbs as even the one needing a ridiculous 10.15 pace would have been a mugs game Today.

Will weigh up getting out earlier the next two days. Especially as Friday will have quicker fare.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure my response was really worth a 2nd go Pete. But yes, I run the GP so often that I get bored of it. I don't venture to the south side of VW often as I'm so scared of dogs. I guess that's why we don't bump in to one another.  Priest Hill is a good one, it's part of the DD annual 20 mile (running) event for some reason!

I'm going to try a loop starting from Sunningdale this weekend actually. Looking to get over Chobham Common and down over Horsell Common before looping back. I'll load the route in to my Garmin so that I can get real time confirmation that I am lost rather than having to wonder to myself  B)

Rest day here. Only the 2nd one since the start of lockdown and feeling guilty.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Bet you woz a glorious sight today then SG :smiley:

Tried a run myself today!!!! First one for 17 days! It was just 20 mins easy as a tester, as yesterday's fast walk had no ill-effects that I could tell.  All OK, so far - at least just the same level of mild discomfort after as before. The key will be to see if it swells up overnight and is painful tomorrow - fingers crossed. 

I won't get too excited just yet, but it did feel bloody good to be running though :smiley:   

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Great to hear you are running again Bus; hopefully no reaction given you got through today alright.

Wool; sounds a big run you've got planned there. The part from Sunningdale through Chobham Common is reasonably straightforward, but I think its tricky from there to Horsell (I don't really ever extend my runs south of Chobham so no expert!). Think you'll have to do a few road bits though and pick out the right footpaths. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

17 days Bus! The days quickly mount up don't they! Good patient recovery though - maybe you DO learn ;)

Double checked what week of furlough this is - week 8! One week WFH before that.

6 more weeks as an absolute certainty too.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I always used to ride with 2 or 3 spare tubes, its very easy to damage the new tube going in, or have left the offending thorn in the tyre if its been pushed in.

10sec was a big concession for that tempo SG?

10m inc 10x3min this morning, was awesome to be running the lanes on such a lovely morning for running, i sucked up a lot of cold and wet miles in those lanes over the winter, so today was a joy. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    TR said:
    I always used to ride with 2 or 3 spare tubes, its very easy to damage the new tube going in, or have left the offending thorn in the tyre if its been pushed in.

10sec was a big concession for that tempo SG?

10m inc 10x3min this morning, was awesome to be running the lanes on such a lovely morning for running, i sucked up a lot of cold and wet miles in those lanes over the winter, so today was a joy. 

Are you saying 10secs is too big a difference, or surprised I think 10secs is much of a gap?

Very hot is probably similar to pretty windy for effect I'd say - both 6.20.

The very windy one came out 6.25 - like treacle.

Or maybe this slower running has blunted me ;)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SG - i would have thought that windy was the slowest, as you found out. But would expect warm to be nearer the ideal than 10secs ? Depends on how warm i guess and the distance, longer distances at effort might be slowed more ?........however, its not ideal to compare so strictly as you cant recreate the same conditions, life stress, energy lvls etc
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not to over analyse this, but if you look at it that the aimed for zone is 6.10-6.15, three of them were top end, and then perhaps the drop off looks less versus the bottom end.

Throw in the first 3/4mile being into wind meaning you don't get the usual momentum of being out slightly faster than you want to...

Probably depends on how good you are personally in different weathers as well.

I'd imagine there's a good reason why people put tempos on hold in the hotter months, and go down in mileage and do shorter reps.

Then you think about time of day. Yesterday's probably wasn't far off midday, which wasn't clever.

Today, 7.24 pace at the same time of day felt a right old trudge!

I remember last summer I did a few tempos round Dorney Lake in hot weather, but early.

Those felt pretty taxing and needed a right old sit down after!

However, I'd imagine there's good training benefit to doing all these sort of efforts in various weathers. After all, we can't pick and choose race day condish.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just had a double check into the sort of figures we were talking, weather wise, as it's easy to just say a faster time was "good conditions" and a slower on "bad conditions"

Checking the below out, the max temp by 12pm on Tue 12 May was  12 degrees, max temp Tue 19th May was 24!

That definitely explains it in my book.

Today's peak was 25 by 12 for comparison.

Am sure there's a calculation of what you lose over certain temps...

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/high-wycombe/historic

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head for me - to some degree, theres no point beasting yourself in atrocious or super hot weather in training, but the trick is not to compare too closely or worry about it. Thats where RPE is good, just do the sessions and move on, watching for an overall trend. The wind is an absolute enemy for tempo type comparisons though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Agreed TR, the second post - that I think I was cross posting - makes even more sense.

Double the temp is a huge difference.

I'll try and avoid doing tempos late morning going forward - that is a mug's game!

Glad I got 3 at top end off so far though.

In the old days I don't remember thinking about weather much on this sort of run, I can only remember a very heavy rain aborting one, and dropping off the pace late on in the MP/HMP mix one.

But back then I'd never have done these sort of runs in late morning, and to be fair not this sort of time of year.

I also think we have much more varied weather these days too!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(quickly chuckles at the idea of "Not over analysing it" yet making a good 3-4 posts on it :) )
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, thing is its not very often you are able to compare apples with apples, and even when you do get an apple vs apple life factors can have an impact..........

Vlm released a statement saying they have no idea if they can put a race on this yr, next update will be june 21st.......i take that as an announcement of the cancellation date.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    TR said:

"Winter miles, summer smiles" as us cyclists say  :wink:

SG over analysing? Never?! Heat is one thing, but if there's no acclimatisation it can certainly affect a tempo.

17 days since the last (ill-advised!) run and only 2 runs in a month now! Time does indeed fly! 

And cheers chaps - very much appreciate the ongoing positive vibes :blush:

26M on the bike tonight, which was pretty pleasant in this weather. 

The weather we've had since lockdown is just as bizarre as the whole Covid thing. Apart from a few chilly days and a couple of days of rain, it's been the longest period of dry weather I can ever remember.  No doubt waiting for when we can ll go on holiday in Cornwall or the Lakes or somewhere and then it'll piss down non-stop!!! 

• I think I've found my all-time favourite thread quote - "not to over-analyse it"  :D

Bus, if you do come down to Cornwall at any point, don't you dare bring any rain!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TR -missed your sesh in my rush to over analyse :)

You never tend to mention paces for your sessions - previously probably down to no proper watch (!), but generally I guess more due to it being a sort of relaxed "hard" pace, like I did on my 1-2min burns across town on Fridays for 4-5 weeks.

In general with training, I try and give an honest account of how it's gone. I'll give what sort of paces I was going for, and any factors affecting it. Same as last 10 years with the thread in general really - I like to think it's a good account of a borderline decent level local level runner who puts a lot into it. Certainly nothing to be gained from any blaggery, or hyping up things to make them sound tougher - just an honest picture of how it felt for me :)

The prospect of any marathons in 2020 must be absolutely miniscule - without doubt the September - October re-scheduled ones.

However, for some reason I have the hope that clubs will be able to re-open for their own club runs within constraints "fairly" soon - next couple of months.

And I still have an outside hope our mad club event of covering 1 4.2mile lap every hour for 24hours in late August still has half a chance. Niche event, small numbers, and quickly diffuses. I suppose one issue is you'd have to restart at the same point every hour, but maybe you can slightly stagger it, or change direction etc?

Bus - at least you have cycling as a fall back.
    If I got injured, i'd maybe spend 10mins getting the weights out, and 3mins using them.

Or getting tonnes of clothes off the cycling machine, and struggling 20mins out bored to Juan Kerry.

I expect we're nicely starting that 4month period where I'm cursing either heat or humidity daily, then it moves on into wind for the autumn :D

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - hope you can run soon......agreed the storms scuppered races, and when they stopped it dried up and the sun came out,  no doubt as you say waiting for a bit of travel being allowed.

SG - no real idea of pace in the 3min session (hmp ? Who knows. The target is to see if i can beat how far i got last time in the 40mins, as i always do a couple of miles w/u and start in the same place, safely under analyzed). I have a couple of mp routes that i would time occasionally..........once i drum up enough enthusiasm to open the parcel and set the watch up, i might have some paces for you next time i do it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think I've found my all-time favourite thread quote - "not to over-analyse it"  :D

Bus, if you do come down to Cornwall at any point, don't you dare bring any rain!
    Yeah in fairness, that started off as a concise 1 liner, then morphed into an absolute beast of a disclaimer. But I certainly am comfy with the pace of it now :D