P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Nice 10x 3's, glad you enjoyed running fast in good weather, makes the winter bearable. I'd agree with the VMLM cancellation being softly announced, Dublin have just cancelled too and it was set for the end of October.

Cal...Good fartlek type running, esp running hard up the hills. Good sign that the legs feel good. Hope the recovery running goes well for you tomorrow.

10 mile this morning for me.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Hamo - Excellent long run/session.
    TR - Nice 10*3 mins!
    Cal - Good running.
    Macca - Nice marathon!
    AWC - Crazy that you have only done 100 miles when you have raced it!! Must say I'm tempted by the 100 mile week!

Keeping everything easy this week, so 8/5/10 miles the last 3 days while keeping HR low (about 50 bpm off max).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cal - valencia must be your best hope then. Another good run today, you seem to be strong at the mo, so 6 runs should be no problem esp if you keep it easy.

Hamo - i just had a similar update in june message from Brighton. I still hope to to the rescheduled North Dorset mara or even IoW.

Steve - the easy week will do you good, as you dont normally have a week with no quality.

Day off work, the spo wanted me to walk with her first, but the payback was i got to run in the warm at 11am whilst she went to the supermarket.

8m easy
  • Jooligan - I always find an evening run followed by a morning run the next day to be tough on the legs.

AWC - sounds like you need to do the 100 miles in 1 effort then.

Macca - I much preferred my version where you did decided to do the marathon on a whim that morning. I imagine completing the marathon distance was much more of an achievement for your neighbour than for someone with your racing history.

SQ - I'm hoping that due to being a relative newbie at serious marathon training, I will be able to maintain an upward trajectory for quite a number of weeks. The worry is possible injuries, but with lockdown I've really been able to concentrate on strength and conditioning and I've increased distance must more slowly this time round. Hopefully you're feeling better, although I haven't seen you on Strava this week, so that probably gives an indication.

Hamo - that was a massive long run effort on Sunday, so especially in a cut back week I think you're good for a couple of days off. I assume your plan is a 19 week marathon block, to account for any missed training?

TR - Good work on the 10 x 3 mins. I'm guessing with VLM the thinking is that by the 21st of June we'll have a good idea of what phase 3 looks like and therefore if there's any chance of holding some kind of mass participation event.

Cal - That's a very strong hill session. Unfortunately I think it's more likely the concerned looks were more about if you were breathing coronavirus everywhere, rather than for your wellbeing. I think if you take the 6th run very easy, you should be fine.

Steve - You've been hitting the sessions hard, so an easy week sounds sensible.

A couple of recovery runs and 12 and 15 mile MLR's so far for me this week. I've got out of the habit of early running, so the warm weather added another level of difficulty. Although I felt I coped quite well with the temperatures compared to usual, probably due to being at race weight already.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Been busy here since I last posted on Monday.
    Great hill session Cal.
    S&C should see you right HPR. Good week from you.
    Very wise as ever Steve. Lots of quality recently so an easy week now is probably for the best in terms of the long game. (I might need to remind myself of that soon :D )
    Insane LR/session Hamo. Those last 2 5K efforts probably suffered as the 3rd was so much quicker. Good to see you've reset after a couple of hungover rest days.
    Standard training marathon Macca - noticed your runs had included a few MLRs too recently :) 
    My week has been Tuesday 7.5M 1550' trail 'race' starting at 11:30 + 4M 450' wu/cd, Wednesday 16M 2800' hill smash: Cat's Hill 1.62M@6.1%, Pludd'sRd 0.98M@8.6%, Vention Ln+ 1.01M@11.9% & Star Beech from Bishopswood 2.06M@5.1% Result CR, 2nd, CR, 2nd B) Today out at almost 1pm for a gentle run but ended up with a progressive HM effort. Couldn't believe how bouncy my legs felt after yesterday's smashfest. Average HR was identical to yesterday (141 bpm) Considerably lower for the first 8K which has a net DH of 320' before a 300' climb to 10K then a short descent before a gradual upwards grind till mile 11 before dropping back down to finish. The combination of heat & ascent whilst maintaining pace caused the HR to creep up. I was breathing hard & dripping by the end. 714ft & 13.1M in 1:42.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Some good, solid miles, everyone.
    Hydepark - I've been out before 6 the last three runs, but then I don't sleep well (going to sleep is fine, but staying asleep is another matter) especially when it's warm. If I'm awake after 4am I'll just get up. Usually takes me 70-90 minutes from that point to going out, as I need to do the coffee/Facebook/poop/mobility routine before I feel ready. :D
    Nice MLRs.

Working hard there, Jooligan. Was that a virtual race or just something you're doing for fun?

27 degrees in my flat before I went to bed so another disturbed night with lots of waking, so I didn't feel particularly rested when I got up around half four. Took a little longer with my warm-up today so out a bit later than the last two days, but still before 6. Did 6 miles at recovery pace, which was 11:30ish today. It felt really, really slow, but I guess that's the point. It was still really warm (18 degrees) when I went out but there was a bit of a breeze which I was grateful for. Weekend should be more tolerable but looks to be warm again next week. I really wish I hadn't bought a big bag of baking potatoes as it's too warm to put my oven on.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...Easy week is the right idea, nice running.

TR...Yea i'm hoping that a small local 'capped' marathon will be ok to be held the week after London, so the training fits well. Nice easy running, better than the shopping :lol:

HPR...The 19 week plan is to account for a week in Tenerife in the summer, so I have a week as a buffer in case/when i don't run much that week (not that that will ever happen, but like London, i was optimistic when i sorted the plan so may as well follow it until everything cancels, for some structure if nothing else). Nice MLRs, they really are the bread and butter of marathon training.

Jools...I agree, i underestimated how i was doing on the 3rd rep, and that told on reps 4 and 5. Nice trail racing, you worked hard this last couple of days.

Cal...That is warm in your flat, no wonder sleeping is an issue. Nice recovery running.

Identical run to Cal this morning for me, 6 recovery miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hyde - nice one on the mlrs, you are doing well to be down to race weight without any races.

Jools - cracking, you are piling it in.

Cal - can you set some fans up in yr flat

Hamo - whats yr long run plan this weeend?

8m easy
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Cal - re. Manly beach, well there are beach volleyball nets so plenty of opportunity for some Top Gun antics! Generally it’s pretty family friendly though and lots of runners and walkers in the morning. Bondi is where you tend to find the tops-off crowd (and where all the backpackers go, easy to spot in various degrees of sunburn). 

TR - keen to hear how you find the watch. When I was thinking about it, I also thought I’d need to buy some wireless headphones and then realised it was becoming too pricey. Hope you manage to use the 4% soon, saw the Alphaflys went on sale this week and sold out immediately - good luck to those using it as an expensive training shoe!

SQ - I’m the same as others, 10k by a long way 37:28 at 45 vs just over 80 mins at 61kg! The 10k challenge sounds fun, I would have thought you’d want to get plenty of elevation in since you’ll still get the downhill benefit. 

Steve - sensible to cutback, you’ve smashed some great runs recently so still in top shape. 

HPR - great MP run, especially after a big night and also getting in 15M MLRs already! Can’t remember the last time I did one of those (and on top of a 12M). 

Macca - well done on the marathon, must be good to get a solid training run in! Hope the housework was good x training. 

AWC - thanks for the heads up, just saw the Centurion ad come up on FB and then saw you already mentioned it! Very tempted to sign up as well, maybe the only time I will get in a 100M week. 

Jools - sounds like your youngest has got the running bug now, he’ll be after your segments soon!

Hamo - amazing 5x5k, always tough to get those in solo. Glad to hear you celebrated in style. 

After a couple more easy days I did another TM session to make the recovery easier. 2x4M tempo which came out at 6:28/6:25 pace. Will take it easier this weekend if I decide to do the Centurion challenge and the weather is forecast to be terrible anyway. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    HPR: much as I would love to I'm no where near trained for 100 miles in 1 push. Plus it would write me off running for a couple of weeks :)
    SQ: the Lakers vest is really about LeBron James. On a podcast interview he talked about his philosophy that 'consistency is key.' He said he wasn't as talented as his peers but the secret to his success/longevity was his absolute consistency in everything he did from training, nutrition, sleep, mental health etc. It really resonated with me as running is all about consistency - I know people that have knocked out 100mi weeks and been injured for 6 months. I'm not interested in that - I'd rather do 60 mile weeks for the rest of my life and still be running 100 mile races in my 80s. So I bought the vest to be a constant reminder that concsistency in lots of small things leads to big successes, and not to compare myself and my talent to others. Focus on what I want to achieve and follow a sustainable plan to get me there :)
    And of course next week I'm going to run a 100 mile week and injure myself for 6 months :D
    It'll be a shortish easy run today to prepare for next week...
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    John - missed your post earlier. I think its a great idea and a good bit of fun. I know a few people doing it.
    8.5mi at lunch today. Legs felt great, really easy and it feels like the last 5-6 weeks of training is really coming through in my legs at the moment certainly from an underance point of view. Long way to go with speed but plenty of time to get that right.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Happy Friday everyone. 
    Hell of a a ession, hamo - the long run and the boozing. I like your style. 
    Some well deserved nice weather running, TR, after the filth of Dec-March. 
    Cal you are taking to step up to six days a week very sensibly. I found it paid huge dividends for me. 
    HPR, I’d have struggled running at midday the last few days. You’re in good nick. 
    AWC what a fantastic means of reinforcing your running philosophy. Love it. 

As HPR alluded to, my lack of Strava this week was related to the burnout felt over the weekend and beyond. For the first time in years, I just didn’t want to run and get very achey. Perhaps it was the 14M tempo and hill work last week, perhaps it was a bug. So had three complete days off. 
    Started to regain some energy and desire yesterday, so went for a little trot: 5k in 30 minutes type job. Headed out this morning for a buggy 5M in 45 minutes, which seemed a modestly sensible step up. 
    Coincidentally, I was randomly selected to provide a CV-19 swab test. Get result next week. 
    I’m considering trying a different monthly focus before a time trial: so 5k focus for four weeks, then 10k, then half. Just to give some structure and semi-goals. Will pick and choose session from the P&L faster road racing book. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wise words from LeBron there AWC & ones which have certainly served you well as evidenced from your Ultra progression last year.
    Good way to move up to 6 days a week Cal. The HM was just a personal thing - I set out to do 11 or 12 but realised I was going to be on 20K when I got back so rather than finish there I added an extra out & back.
    Strange SQ. Sounds like you're being very sensible listening to the body. 
    Decent tempo John. Not my boy btw but my friend/landlord's. I just have the one daughter who is joining me for a socially distanced parkrun again tomorrow :) That'll be 3 this year after a 7 year hiatus since her 1st. Might pace her to a PB again if she's keen if not I'll be smashing myself.
    Gentle 7.5M recovery run today which was much needed. Still managed to find over 800' of climb though so I wasn't even tempted to extend it once I got back to my car. I'd driven to the bottom of the hill so I could finish on a DH rather than the usual 1-2M uphill slog.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - i didnt get the music version, unsurprisingly i dont listen to music (or anything else) when i run.

Good story that AWC, i should get a vest too. Hope the 100 goes well, im sure you'll cope fine, i did 91 with my 10 to 16m bingo.

SQ - sorry to hear youve been under the weather, well done on taking the few days off. Your plan sounds good, and will give a change of routine, 5k and 10k training should be pretty similar? Good idea to do them in that order too.

Jools - good recovery day tactics !
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the Centurion, John (if you do it). I had a look myself but as I've never done more than 60 miles in a week, I think it'd probably ruin me (I'm with AWC there).
    SQ, sensible to take some time out. I think the lack of racing also means the lack of tapering and recovery time as well. New distance goals sounds like a fine idea.
    Jooligan - not sure that much climb counts as a recovery, even if you took it easy! :lol:

Today was virtual 5K day and, between a week of rubbish sleep, the hills on Thursday and the extra running day yesterday, I knew I wasn't going to be on top form so I took the opportunity to try a new route. It's not actually a new running route, just a new 5K route, which is a lap and a bit of Wandsworth Common.
    Did my 2 mile warm-up including some strides, then set off. Felt quite fast to start with but I hit the first mile in 8:19 which isn't great. Decided not to look at my watch again until I finished. I thought I was maintaining an OK pace and I would run 25:xx so I was quite horrified to come in at 26:41. I've done better than that on some hilly parkruns, and the common is flat. It definitely didn't feel as slow as that but I guess there's some cumulative fatigue there.
    Oh well, we can't be awesome every week!
    I'm doing the virtual Masters Relays next month so think I'll have to taper a bit for that one.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    You cant smash it every time Cal, youve been doing well lately, and have improved a lot, plus youve upped the miles this week. Your overall trend is upwards.

18m today (800ft of climb apparently), plan was to include 3x16min, but realised the mile autolap was going to mess things up, so i did 3 x 2.5m with 3 min easy recovery. Rep paces were at the mercy of the wind and elevation.  It appears that i need to do timed sessions in the open, as the tree lined sections seemed to be quite a bit slower for no less effort.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Indeed - when I do parkrun I don't have a fast run every week, so I can't expect to do that here either.  Having said that, a couple of the fast guys in my club ran 14:28 and 14:30 respectively - crazy. I don't think either of them had done a sub-15 before. I hope they're saving something for when racing resumes.

Well done on the hilly 18, TR.

I had another virtual Phoenix event to do and settled on a half marathon as I didn't want to do much more this week due to the extra day of running (the half would take me to 55 miles for the week).
    Rather glad I joined Strava recently as I've found looking at other people's runs is a fantastic way to find new routes. One of my clubmates did a lovely looking run so I decided to try and follow some of it, combining it with a section of the Wandle Trail. I decided not to go down to the earlier part of the trail from Earlsfield as that would make it a longer run than I wanted, especially if I got a bit lost later on. Instead I started at my usual spot in Collier's Wood (a two mile run by the most direct route from my house), up the trail to Morden Hall Park, through there and on to Hackbridge. I went a bit further than I went last time but not quite as far as I planned on the trail as I got to a biggish road and went left instead of crossing it to get to another section of the trail. I did find a footpath that took me onto my clubmate's route, though I missed out Beddington Park entirely, which I had intended to explore (it'll be the site of the next London parkrun, whenever that starts back up again).
    I ran on a trail for a while which was rather pebbly before ending up on a section of Mitcham Common I hadn't run on before. There were some ponies there - not sure if they were traveller ponies but as my clubmate had photographed them I knew I'd gone the right way.
    From there I headed back through Mitcham. There's a pond there and I saw a swan family - mum, dad and a lot of fuzzy cygnets. Didn't manage to count them but it was definitely more than 6!
    Ran back up the big hill to Tooting Common - not Church Road this time but the one next to it, Rectory Lane - and home from there. A nice urban trail half.
    Easy pace for most of it but did a couple of sub-10s on the homeward stretch, including the hill. 2 hours 17:12 so pretty leisurely, though still a minute quicker than my first ever half from back in 2010!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good attitude re the 5k. Another strong day today.

I did 8m easy (after the usual walk first), my quads were achey after ydays run.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Good long run with a session, not surprised the quads ached. How'd you find it using distance with the new watch rather than time to do them? 

John...Good TM session, nice consistent pace for the tempo too.

Cal...You had a big week, don't over think your 5k, as TR says you have a good attitude to it. Nice 1/2 as well, sounds like a lovely run all round. I agree, Strava is good for picking and trying new routes.

AWC...Nice meaning with the vest, i like it. Best of luck with this week, i've no doubt you'll breeze it.

Jools...Wise, finishing on a downhill.

SQ...Hope you are feeling better, sensible resting. Good idea to take it month about and try different distances, the variation in training will do you well, and keep you interested.

9 ish GA run on Saturday was followed up by a 16 mile 'long' run on Sunday to finish my cut back week off on 50 miles.

6 mile recovery this morning, will be followed up by a 5 mile recovery this afternoon to start the training block for the 40th race...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - a 50m week and 16m long run is a big cut back for you, well done, im sure it'll do you good.......as last week id done 3x12mins i was aiming for 3 x 16 this week, it dawned on me that the 1m autolap would kick in so adjusted to 2.5m reps, which would be around 17min. Next week I'll turn autolap off.

10m today
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone. 
    A shame the virtual 5k was slower than hoped for, Cal, but not to worry. I found early lockdown, that I could still really push myself when ‘racing’ solo. I seem to have burnt those matches for the time being and  not able to do so quite as much. Very well done on the half. New route finding is definitely a real benefit of Strava. I find searching non Fetcheveryone useful for this - although more so when going somewhere completely new. 
    Welcome to the word of gps, TR. and inaccuracies, waiting for satellites, dodgy uploads and general faffing! Sure it’ll be really useful on the whole. 
    50M really is a cutback, hamo. Well done, it’ll do you good I’m sure. Good luck starting the plan. Enjoy!

I spoke about the physical fatigue I was feeling last week, but I think it was also mental. Out of seemingly nowhere, I found myself crying on Friday evening. Not a frequent occurrence for me, but one I don’t think we should be worried about to talk of on here. My wife was very supportive, and it was probably just tiredness, but it did make think about things. Without seeming too ‘quick fix’, I decided to try a guided meditation podcast. I have done two a day (8-12 mins long) so far and have really get the benefit in terms of mental clarity and calmness. Not perfect, but there is a positive feedback loop so far, so I’ll persist. If anyone has any recommendations for simple, easy to access meditation style podcasts etc, please do let me know. 
    I was feeling physically much more recovered this morning, and was craving a goal. So went out for a hard 5k, aiming to set a baseline to improve upon over the next four weeks. 18:56 is solid but certainly not spectacular. I’ve no problem with having lost a bit of fitness post solo marathon, and it is nice to now have a short term goal. Will try to do one interval session and one short hill session a week and then retest. 
    Oh, and pleasingly, the Covid test was negative!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you’ve had a tough few days SQ but you seem to be taking the right approach to it and found something that is working for you, which can often be the biggest problem. Can’t help with any podcasts but heard lots of positive feedback on the Calm app (it’s was Apple’s 2017 app of the year). If it works for you, just let me know as I have a gift card for 12 months free and happy to let you have it (I won it in a Running Heroes challenge) 😀
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...10 as usual, i like it. 3x 16/17 mins is a decent session, never mind in a long run.

SQ...Sorry to hear you've had it tough, you are 100% right though, there should be no fear in talking, here or anywhere. Cant help on any meditation podcasts though unfortunately..i was never one for sitting quietly, as my old teachers would attest to :lol: 
    That is a good 5k, more than a solid time i'd say, but you seem to have a good attitude to building on it.

First LT of the plan this morning for me, 10 with 4 mile of effort. Decided to loop my street, as i have been doing during lockdown rather than head for the towpath, for the LT miles, so paces might be a bit off (i over ran it by half a 'lap' to account for any gps issues with the distance). But pleased to see the  miles come out as 5.08, 5.07, 5.09, 5.09. Faster than i was aiming for, so a tougher run than planned, but pleased with the consistency if nothing else.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: off to a great start there with a super speedy LT run. I like to run LTs as loops so I can switch off and not worry about route choice etc.
    SQ: thanks for sharing :) I felt a bit teary last week at one point when the reality of everything seemed to sink in a bit and I felt this great weight on my shoulders. Life is tough at the minute and with small kids its even harder! I think you've done amazing with all your training in spite of all this. I did a Mindfulness course a couple of years back which really helped me deal with anxiety/worry/stress. I also used the Calm app (just the free version). Hope you feel a bit more positive now and good news on the Covid test.
    CJ: sounds like a lovely HM!
    Jools: good idea driving to the bottom rather than the top of the hill!
    Kicked off my 100 mile week in style yesterday with a 32 mile trail run on the Icthen Way from the spring at its source to its end in Southampton. I've wanted to do this route for a long time and thought this was the perfert for it.
    The scenery from Cheriton to Winchester was simply breathtaking. The 2nd half I've done tons of times but it felt nicely different this time
    Been out with Sophie (my 7yo) this morning to do 2km of her 5km race. Legs felt much better than I thought - especially after 2 pizzas and copious beers last night!
    I've been a bit sceptical about these virtual races but I'm actually getting into the fun of this one :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    hamo, let's hope your 40th race happens then!
    Good 10, TR. I read that as autoclap and wondered what the hell you were on about until my logic circuits kicked in. Been a bit short of sleep this past week, due to the heat.
    AWC - that sounds like a super run. My two Phoenix virtual medals arrived today (with a massive clonk - they're huge!) Very nice medals. I'm not one for virtual events either but I thought these two (Covid-19 Remembrance Run and Key Works Superheroes) would be a good memento of this very weird time. And it's not like anything else is going on my medal hanger this year...unless Valencia happens of course. Which it could - it's not until December.
    SQ - good news on the test. I'm not surprised you have been feeling out of sorts - this whole thing has been incredibly unsettling for most of us. I'm probably one of the least affected since I'm more or less retired and have no relatives to worry about, but losing racing and parkrun has left me a bit rudderless. The virtual events (including my club's weekly 5K that I've organised) have helped, as has the quieter roads, which have given me more opportunity to explore. I've enjoyed that very much.
    Anyway, I hope you find some motivation in your new goal.

Rest yesterday but did a 5.75 miles walk to scope out a new route. It's Norwood Grove which joins onto Streatham Common, but it is fenced around so not sure it'll be open when I run as I'm an early bird. It's just as hilly as the main common if not more so, so will be good for some hill work.
    9 miles this morning. Can feel my achilles again which isn't grand - better get on top of my strength work.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    AWC - Superb long run.
    Cal - Nice HM.
    Hamo - Superb LT paces!
    SQ - Hope you start to feel better soon.
    Easy runs of 14m/5m on Saturday/Sunday for me for a 42 mile week I think. Did another easy 10m today, keeping HR low.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - it has been a stressful time of late, glad that you are feeling better, better out than in. Id have probably joined in if i were there.

Hamo - nice, are you back on the P and D ? 18 wks til vlm?

AWC - that a great start to the 100, cracking long run and it lifts the pressure a bit for the rest of the week.

More good work steve and cal

I did my usual early week mlr, but legs were tired and i want to do 3min reps in the morning so i only did 12m.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys, such a supportive bunch. 

12M is a great start to the week, TR. 

Cal what do you reckon aggravates your Achilles?

Blimey AWC, what a start to the big week! Absolutely wonderful to get your daughter involved too. And I can only hope that isn’t the last megadose of pizza and beer this week. 

No messing round, hamo. That’s an outrageous LT pace. Starting the plan strong!

Thanks for the Calm recommendation, John. Had a play today - it’s really good, although most is locked down to the premium. That is a really kind offer and I’d love to take you up on it, but no problem if you’d rather use it in a different capacity. Let me know. Some more good TM running from you I see. 

Recovery 5.5M today, partly with buggy. Then two important discoveries: firstly, BrewDog Vagabond beer is (relatively) low carb. Outstanding revelation as I fired up the bbq having prepped some amazing meat, fish and veg. Secondly, I’ve run out of bbq gas 🙄. Indoor bbq then!

Planning on a mona fartlek hill session in the next day or two. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SQ - no problem at all, I’m glad you found the app useful. I wasn’t sure if/when I was going to use it anyway so happy to see it put to good use. PM me your email and I’ll send you the code. Enjoy the Mona fartlek, the best bang for your buck session. 

AWC - great run and sounds like a terrific course. Are you planning another long one this weekend? I do miss the coastal trails in the UK, only ever hiked parts of the SW coastal path but would love to run more of those types of trails. 

Hamo - amazing running as usual. You’re becoming our own version of Mike Wardian! (He ran 262 miles on a 600m loop around his house for the Backyard quarantine ultra, insane!)

TR, Steve, Cal - nice easy running. 

I’ve also started the Centurion challenge although much more leisurely than AWC (and Macca when he reports on his run). Keeping it to the TM so far, twice a day, currently up to 40 miles. Like AWC I’m enjoying having a goal to work towards. Mainly slow and steady pace but threw in 4k/3k/2k/1k today getting quicker from around 6:25 to 6:00. Biggest challenge so far is having to keep the washing machine on the go!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    SQ, I'm prone to it - I have a sticky SI joint on the left which seems to result in me putting more weight on my right leg when I run. Usually I get my physio to loosen it up a bit but as that's not really an option at the moment I'll have to get the Theragun out.
    I think the ultra-slow recovery runs might not have helped as my form is a lot better when I'm moving faster. There's also the fact my current shoes have nearly 700 miles on them which may or may not be a factor. I'll be changing them soon.
    Hope you enjoyed your BBQ.
    Good running, Steve - 42 isn't much for you is it?
    TR - well done on the 12.
    Good luck with the Centurion run, John.

A hilly 12 mile MLR today - I decided to check out the new ground I'd covered on Monday's walk. I went up to Streatham Common and ran up the hill, but instead of going back around and down, I went through to Norwood Grove and ran around that a couple of times (it was open). Very lumpy ground there - grass and roots - so I was careful so as not to roll an ankle. Basically cross country and definitely not viable as a winter run from the look of it.
    Then I exited and went down the road that runs next to (which is also a rollercoaster) to the little wood I'd seen on the map. Holy Christ, it's steep in there! There are some very narrow "paths" but then I had to pretty much walk down some steps, then another section I had to stop and climb down a sheer drop before running back up a very steep bit. It's kind of fun, but I was over 12 minutes for the mile I did in that bit.
    Came back up the rollercoaster road, back onto Streatham Common, down to the tennis court and back up the steep path through the woods before heading back along the back streets for a few more miles.
    I did notice my form seemed a lot better once I got onto the roads and the last few miles were sub-10 as I was paying attention to my posture.
    Achilles is a bit grumpy now, not surprisingly.