Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the posts SG! All comments were tongue in cheek, I'm sure! 
    And I thought it was an excellent bit of fun and doing something different at these difficult times. Otherwise think you are building a great base, but wouldn't over analyse the figures. Too many variables. Just look for a trend over a couple of months. Progressive consistent consistency. Reminds me of TR!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Damn I for one was looking forward to the training report SG.
    I went off for a bit of dinner. I come back to find you've taken them down & they bloody funny too. Don't disappear for too long as you are the glue that binds us all together - clue's in the thread title.
    Anyway at least with Strava I know it was a decent run with some great seg chasing results.
    Just an easy 7.5M for me today as my legs finally called time on the silly season. Even drove to the bottom of the hill so I'd be able to finish with a DH mile rather than the usual 1-2M uphill slog.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I offer no apology as I was never included as one of the thread nice guys 😂
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Turn your back for a minute and the thread gets all exciting! 

Shame we lost the posts as it takes all sorts to make an interesting forum and SG with all his detail is as good an overall read as anyone in my book. 

Anyway with SG off for what will hopefully only be a short hiatus I can freely talk cycling again. Main sporting action for me was a 40 miler off road mostly on the Ridgeway yesterday from Liddinton near Swindon. Met an old Uni pal for it who is a pretty expert MTBer whereas nowadays I only have a hybrid as well as my road bike so had to use that. Lots of the trail was pretty rutted  or stony so felt hard work; surprisingly hilly too and the av speed was nothing to write home about esp as we took a detour to the Ilsey's by the A34 which added some more miles and hills and stops to work out the route.

The best part of the day was to find the Indian seemingly randomly placed 400 metres from the entrance to the Ridgeway open for business (takeaway of course) but willing to supply us with plastic cutlery and an opened Cobra each to wash our curries down with. Felt almost like the old days pre March😄 Anyone else done much cycling on The Ridgeway; would be interested in your views. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Not ridden the ridgeway Pete but I’d like to,  been using my MTB a lot lately with the children learning to ride. Sounds good and the curry afterwards must have tasted nice. Not really thought about it until now but we’ve been making our own meals three times a day now for ages. Can’t wait to go to a restaurant!

Final stage in our club Zwift TT competition today and it was a repeat of the shorter first stage which is about 9 minutes long for me. Did 390 watts first time but needed a big improvement to threaten the overall top 3 as it’s all based on improvement from your previous results. Aimed ambitiously for 415 watts and was through halfway ahead on 418 average but faded a little, it was utter agony from about a minute in but went quite quickly. Managed a slight uptick for the last minute to finish 414w average for 9 minutes. Puts me in 3rd overall so fingers crossed nobody has another go and it’s a virtual podium place!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ale  - yes, consistency is key !

Good one Reg

Pete - sounds like a top day, i like a cobra and a curry, that sounded great.

18m today (800ft of climb apparently), plan was to include 3x16min, but realised the mile autolap was going to mess things up, so i did 3 x 2.5m with 3 kin easy recovery. Rep paces were at the mercy of the wind and elevation.  It appears that i need to do timed sessions in the open, as the tree lined sections seemed to be quite a bit slower for no less effort.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Very nice ride Pete - and what a great way to finish! I've cycled, walked and run bits of the Ridgeway, mainly the Chilterns end. Most is very scenic and more varied than you'd think. Some of it is really nice and very cyclable, other parts are pretty rutted and hard work. I wouldn't fancy large parts of it in January mud!

Nice 18 TR. You know you can switch the auto lap off? I always do for races and use the km/M markers.

Reg - that's some mighty impressive watts!

Run today. Foot was OK, but the rest of my legs felt pretty rubbish! Hamstrings in particular.  Hopefully the running fitness will come back fairly quickly, but 5.6M today felt more like 15 again!  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta chaps - ok less than  1 day was enough of a refresher, so i'll weasel back in if I may :D

In hindsight I think I ended up more depleted than I realised as went out midday and was probably out for 3hours (then another 3 hours writing the report ;) ) , and then went to sleep still hungry, so that probably didn't help.

Also remembered that a colleague at work is currently critical in hospital having had her horse land on her, meaning a bit of over reading into one liners is a bit ridiculous in comparison!

Not to mention, the thread being as always a great sense of inspiration, so again would be ridiculous to lose it as an outlet.

But maybe i'll try and keep posts shorter (this one aside ;) )

Guy ive been rinsing on the segs took one back today. Cheeky frigger ;)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - yay, i felt a bit guilty last night.

Bus - good news on the run. Yep, I'll turn autolap off for future rep seasions.
  • That's some impressive wattage Reg! Can only imagine it being a world of pain!

Glad you've managed another run Bus - it's funny how some muscles can become lazy!

Tidy ride there Pete! The curry sounds great.

Good to see you got the gadget out TR, good session.

Great work on the impromptu race Jools, sounds like good fun but imagine I'd be pretty pants!

Darn, I missed the report of SG's segment-hunting escapades!

Been testing the calf/achilles some more this week. Had a progressive mile on Thursday, going through the gears, in 5:42. Today was 5 x 1min (2min), although I was far too eager. First 4 at ~5:10/mi, and the last at 4:55/mi - so whole lot comfortably at sub-mile pace... Gonna be a trial by fire, calf/achilles is feeling good, but my quads are complaining :D 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, SG! You've been missed!

Good running, MattH: just make sure that you get the Achilles and calf work done. Take the previous problem as a warning rather than ignore the problem and hope it goes away: been there and done that and paid the price! 

Good to see you back running, Bus, and decent long run, TR, not that that is a surprise: progressive consistent consistency. 

Talking of which, and I know it is small numbers compared to all, but since the lockdown my weekly base-building totals have gone 28/30/31/32/34/36/39/40/43/46 and tomorrow should bring up 50 for the week. Shame it is all in kilometres, but am sticking with no higher than 10% increase per week, running well within myself every day, and stretching every day as well. Long may it continue.
    At the stage now where I will stick between 40 and 50 km per week but gradually increase the speed. No sessions as at 66 there is too much risk of damaging the immune system or more likely injuring myself.
    Trusting the science (where have we heard that recently?) and that I will gradually gain strength and naturally get quicker over time.
    I am not tempted to test out where I am, and here follows my second favourite running saying (with progressive consistent consistency being number one of course): 
    Farmers don’t pull up their potatoes every five minutes to see if they are growing.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Sub 5 pace will test it Matt! So just be sure!

TR - turning that auto lap thing off is critical in races if you like to take your own splits.
    Otherwise you run that risk of the beep going just before you press it, and thus miss the actual split, and take a new 0.01 one!

Marlow 5 is a good example of this - I did just this at 2miles last year.
    Similarly, one argument for NOT taking your own split, and letting the watch do it, comes in Marlow's 4th mile. It's always way too early, so you'll be turning out at say 5.45 a mile, and you suddenly take a 5.25-30 split and it's unsettling :D

Not sure what your watch is, but most likely you can program in your session, even if you didn't want to take the auto split off. Then it gives you a nice beep/countdown for the efforts versus recovery, so you don't even need to be looking at it constantly as you come closer to the end.

Aley - thought you'd ramped up incredibly there - pre km/mile clarification. But certainly a great deal more positive than the recent past. Your approach is more than sensible - imagine ruining the hard work to get back to here with something silly.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Programming sessions into the watch is one of the most useful features of the gadgets imo TR.
    Good to have you back SG.
    Hope the foot is still playing ball Bus.
    Parkrun yesterday was a lockdown PB of 20:09 & my daughter enjoyed her solo run too in spite of the rain. Dropped her back then did a 10K on the hill which included 3 of those random segments Strava auto-created back in 2013 hence getting 3 CRs. I’d only run 1 of the 3 more than the once before in spite of using that small part of the woods for my regular run up until a year or two ago 🤣
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Did strava generate segments then Jools? I'd presumed an individual always had to set them up? Your seg locker must be full to the brim.

Gave myself a couple of options today with route.

Up the long climb and a mile into Beaconsfield back down to the country lanes near Wooburn, but instead of down the very steep Wash Hill(for non locals this used to be a mad 10k race with the first km up a ridiculous 200+ feet hill...being totally non descript after..before a mad storm down the same hill!) straight on and down the next hill. This one being quite gradual for the first half then darn steep.

Around 11.5-12 on the clock by now so had a choice. Dull 3miles or so on the slight incline back or have a little sortie the other direction and a big hill.

I had clocked a really modest 640 paced downhill short rep around this area too that i thought id eat while i was there. (After checking it wasn't matey ive been nicking from recently!)

There's basically 4 hill options.

Blind Lane - a good mile long, pretty darn steep. Has pavements.

Chapman Lane - probs 2/3mile as you have a gentle lead up past some houses and a school. No pavements. Pretty steep half way up.

Winchcombe - the longest climb. More gradual windy job, getting very steep indeed near the end. No pavements and exceptionally narrow at the end.

4th one is Sheepridge. One I've probably only run once when aiming to do 14-15 and ending with 17-18!.
    Perception is that it's the most "dangerous" of the options as a busier road and no pavements. Also i thought it "has" to be as steep by simple where you start and where you end elevations!

Knew by now id be going well over 15 but at least this time semi planned. And looking forward to seeing what Sheepridge was like.

Pleased to see there were woody little trails each side of the road meaning you could do 95% of the hill safely, albeit slowly and at times in shoulder height crops 😄.

There's a couple of gates into trails into the fields either side. Will have to check out where they lead at some stage. Today wasn't the day for anymore messing..already being past 15miles...)

Pleased to find that it was so progressive a climb that it wasn't that bad at all. Slow splits but as much to do with the footing than steepness.
    Just the last 200m or so was steep and on road. Then another climb for another mile back on a main road..occasionally nipping in and out of the under growth when cars were going both ways.

Down a massive steep one miler and all in 17m for over 2hours out there and a 71mile week.
    3 podcasts and still some music. That's a lot of material for one run!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - nice one on the 17, getting into proper long run territory, plus  lot of listening..........I'll leave autolap on for a race, i wont be taking any manual laps, im only interested in elapsed time.

Matt - sounds sharp that pace !

Ale - thats a great example of your favourite catchphrase then, fair play to you, commendable restraint.

Jools - good one on the lockdown pb.

8m easy here after the usual walk with my wife first, achey quads today after ydays efforts.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    8m TR? That must feel like you've barely started to you :wink:

Good works SG - decent long run. Might as well do those climbs off-road anyway - safer and not much different in pace.

Matt - sounds like the calf is passing its test then?

Jools - nice LD PR PB and 3CR :smile:

Aley that's a solid and consistent progression. I'm definitely going to remember that saying too!!

Bike for me today. Bit of a multi-terrain job too, with a bit of poor route finding leading to a bridleway. Why do they always look like a decent track then end up as gnarly single track? I was on a gravel bike, but with road tyres at 90psi, so it got a bit testing by the end, and sent my poor old shoulder into spasms! I thought I was going to have to stop, but a few stretches and it recovered enough to carry on.  Rode from Thame to Princes Risborough on the Phoenix trail, which was nice, but rather busy in places! Coffee and Pastry in Risborough was a nice surprise, but waiting for the hottest coffee in the world to be drinkable meant a 20 minute break, which made immediately hitting Kop Hill the 3rd error of the ride :smiley:

40M done in the end, which seemed plenty with the off-road bits and around ten miles into a strong head wind adding to the effort!

Foot seems OK today, so hoping to try a slightly longer run tomorrow.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus - does that Phoenix trail also link in from Chinnor, or close by?

I'm still slightly traumatised by once having a run alongside a pal as she cycled, out that way somewhere.

Boiling hot day, no water, her not being content to pootle at my run pace so I had to lift the effort to keep up, added in with her getting us lost, meaning covering a distance that I'm certain was huge, but was glad I didn't have a GPS watch to confirm it - absolutely ruining!

TR - that's the fine line when efforts kick in - keeping sky high mileage with efforts must be a real balancing act. (I say as if I only run a small amount :) )

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds a good days work Bus, i like the sound of the coffee, food and drinks not being piping hot sees me return quite a few.

SG - youd get away with 17 regularly as its around 2 hrs for you. When it gets over 2.5 hrs it gets a bit taxing, i do a few 3hr runs before a mara, but time over 3hrs is a bit of a death zone s i dont spend long there.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Makes sense. Moz used to mention the 2hour line where it's easy for damage to outweigh benefit.
    For my distances anyway. Part of the game for marathons!

You strike me as fairly old school. Do i presume right that you wouldn't run with headphones? A long run must feel super long without any distraction!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Spot on, i dont listen to anything,........the old school folks would say its all part of the getting to know yourself as an athlete.......as i said the other day, when i started out i used to measure routes with a piece of stting on a streetmap.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not far from Chinnor SG. There are some easy lanes to join the two.  I've done similar with my kids on bikes, and ended up with a 1:29 training half, on a baking hto day, which was a bit sharp!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Disappointingly short training run report SG! With all this off-road running you'll be like Bus soon, try not to beat up any midgets though. Nice 17 though, good pace too.

TR - I never use autolap, if it's beeping early I just adjust mentally.

As per Aley, I continue to just run easy 9.88 miles for me, the fact I couldn't be bothered to round up to 10 miles, proves it was more than enough. Actually done 32 miles this week, that's the most since I came off my bike last June. Cycling was down on previous weeks so I am getting out tomorrow morning to do a couple of climbs. One of which is Combe Gibbet, one of the 100 climbs to do from my little book, I've been meaning to do it for years as it's just within a reasonable ride range. After that I'll probably head over to Bus' neck of the woods and do Whiteleaf/Kop Hill, couple of little bastards those two  :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    How about Brimmers Road/Pink Hill Climb, down Kop Hill at light speed then nip round to Peter's Lane for Whiteleaf, down Pink Hill Brimmers and back up Kop Hill - that's a combination I'm going to try one day :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Misread that as Rimmers Road for one ugly moment!
    Don't go to Coombe Hill..saw some fb post saying please don go there as it's packed.

Reg..do you have auto split or take manual ones?
    As if you never use it, it wouldn't beep, so no need to adjust? Unless i misread
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Reg; if you have not already (which I guess you may well have) you may want to try some or all of these;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.broleur.com/top-10-toughest-climbs-in-the-surrey-pyrenees/amp/

There's sone tasty ones in the list; I've done a lot of them but not all. Barhatch/Winterfold was the hardest I've done (pic from a few years ago when I was a bit leaner and fitter!) and only got all the way up on my 3rd go, as you have to be ready for the big increase in gradient near the end.  
    Used to have a guy I went riding with who was much better than me and often dragged me over to Surrey Hills. He moved to Suffolk a couple of years back though so can relax a bit bit more when riding nowadays. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - coombe gibbet is North Hampshire so must be a decent out and back.

Pete - you look the part, did your team car take the photo?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Blimey, look at those skinny tyres :smile:

I used to do some off-roading in those hills Pete back in the 90's when I lived in south London. Same MTB I'm still using!

Run today and legs were feeling a little bit less mashed than Saturday! Foot is OK too, though the 2nd and 3rd toes are giving me a few issues. I think this is some form of nerve pain, possibly a damaged nerve coming back to life - if that is even a thing! They were no worse after than before though, so just one of those to put up with and monitor I guess. 6.6M today, so getting longer.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete is more advert than man in that get up!

Took ages to get out there again today, as had a little look on strava, and noticed some ludicrous times on a stretch in Wycombe, that I felt duty bound to flag.

But 10mins later was still flagging, as one clown had obviously cycled the same route repeatedly over months :D

Meaning he's probably the top 100 times or so, so will take a lot of wiping out.

Also for a mail to say I'd lost a seg by 1second over on the Windlesham 5x1km race route.No biggie tho, as in fairness I was joint 1st and second to hit that time - so it never sat in my pot anyway.

Weird that matching a record gives you the crown on your run, but not in  your history. You'd think it's both or neither?

Nice stretch out, average 7.30 today, made extra sure after a 17. Out and back, with an offroad tickle midway (or so I posted it as on strava!)

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Missed all the fun again I see? Anyway, some good exploits on here as ever.

Try not to mention Whiteleaf too much eh everyone? You know I drift back to that Ibiza holiday ;)

Been doing a few bits and bobs, went over the field near my house on Thursday and did a grass session, 5 sets of 400-200-200-400..60 secs break after the 400 and 30 after the 200's. Out and back jobbie, pleased that I have got the free Garmin now and can measure these reps out.

Friday morning was a painful 9m, the leg was properly annoying.

Did 12 hill reps on Saturday lunchtime, each about 300m, took me about 76-80 secs. Only fly in the ointments were after the first rep I noticed that I couldn't see the screen of the Garmin properly in the corner. Nothing wrong with the screen, but I instantly realized it was an ocular migraine visual. Quite hard to describe, but it's a bizarre Technicolor jaggedly line, mine come in from the right hand side of my vision, become slightly more central, then drift back to the right and ten slowly disappear. It's usually a handy sign to get some headache tablets down! I get these about one every 18 months, and they are pretty mild tbh, mild enough to run through I mused - so I carried on and they actually went away quicker than usual, must have been the fresh air.

Then! The black clouds approaching unleashed their hail - so the 2nd 6 reps were in the stinging hail! so interesting rep session

Yesterday did the standard 14.5 mile long run, was up to 7.15 miling at one point, but notched it up to 6.40-6.50's for the last 4 or so and got ot down to 6.59's by the end. Quite warm and windy, so happy with that. Woke up with a headache this morning, so just went for a family walk today.

Got a 5 mile time trial coming up - Surrey league v Met league xc showdown. Should be fun!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That sounds a little disturbing Simon! Just as well it only happens infrequently by the sound of it.  Nice long run.  I also got caught in some bizarre weather on Saturday!

I'm feeling a bit pissed off this morning.   Having thought I was on the mend and looking forward to getting back to normal with running, my foot is sore again this morning and very swollen. It makes no sense.  Yes, the toe was a bit painful during yesterday's run, but a very different pain and in a different place to before and the swelling was almost completely gone.  I also only up the mileage by 1 having recovered fine from the previous outings last week! It now feels and looks like it did two weeks ago today. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!