New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    The photos don't seem to have arrived, I'll try again. 

• It looks very nice that Marina.
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, our posts crossed yesterday. I agree that the policy change from stay at home came too soon. All the beauty spots, sea side resorts,etc didn't want day trippers who could be bringing the virus with them. Most facilities, including toilets and some car parks were closed, so no point visiting really. I noticed that the coasts didn't get as many visitors as expected, so some people must be using their common sense. 

I didn't do the 5k yesterday, but went for a walk round the Marina, see a couple of photos above. My foot was ok today, so I did the 5k, report below.

Well done for your intervals, circuit training and yoga. Hope you managed to get out for your long run today?

WtnMel, glad to hear that your Mum is ok, and hope she gets her test next week, so that she knows what's happening.

Regarding resetting of Garmins, mine is a forerunner 235 and the instructions for resetting are to hold the off button for 15 seconds to turn it off, and then hold for one second to turn back on again. It does warn that this could erase the data or settings, but this has never happened when I've tried it. I've never had any problems locating satellites, although the early ones did take a bit longer. I used to put them in the garden a few minutes before setting off, and they had inevitably located successfully by the time I left.

I find it quite annoying on lovely sunny days where the air is filled with the noise of electric lawn mowers, hedge trimmers etc. The clicking of the old style mowers is rather restful. I remember my father, when he lived in Surbiton and had a very long back garden, had a mower with a roller, which left lovely stripes, like at Wimbledon.

Well done getting out for another early morning run, and a new mile record.

Glad you managed to trim Margaret's hair without incident!

I'm sure that working on your 5G Presentation preparations will help you to doze off.

Damien, well done managing to run 3 times a week, now that you are back at work and very busy.

The Marina is lovely, and that is Southampton Water that you can see. On the other side is where all the small boats and yachts are anchored, and houses on the waters edge where the wealthy live, with their boats anchored outside. That is Hythe pier which is one of the oldest in the UK, and a very ancient tram takes passengers who are too lazy to walk, to the end where they catch the Ferry to Southampton. At the moment the pier is closed, so the ferry can't sail. It is a worry that it might never reopen.

I ran the 5k this morning and smashed the 27 minutes with 26.26 an average of 8.31 minute miling, and a WAVA of 69.77%. This would have been 70% on the previous tables.
  • Good Morning Everyone and Happy Monday!

Aquarius, how frustrating to have your Garmin giving you garbled stats. But, great job on your intervals. How is your knee holding up. Any tweaks lately?  It sounds like your body is adapting really well to a fairly demanding workout schedule.

Oh jeesh, I am sorry to hear about the possible/probable AF reading on Steve's heart monitor.  That just sucks. How is Steve feeling about the whole thing?  Have you heard back from the nurse?

Regarding the chocolate, I suspect that I have been having a bit too much chocolate, and other assorted treats, as of late.  I am beginning to resemble more of a beach ball bouncing along than the streamlined, graceful runner that I would like to be.  In the states, there is a first year college phenomena called the 'freshman 15', which refers to the 15 pounds (1 stone) of weight that a lot of freshmen living in college dormitories put on. Most people I know are working hard not to put on a Covid 5, or, in some of my friend's cases, 10 lbs.  That being said, tomorrow is supposed to be 11 miles and it may be necessary to bribe myself to finish the mileage.

I have some work that was supposed to go up in a July show that was being held across the country, and will probably go online. It will be my first real foray into my work being shown online.  The good news is that the normal stress of shipping my work is gone, but I really don't feel good about selling my work to someone who hasn't seen it in person.  I know that it's done a lot nowadays, but it just makes me nervous. At this point, I'm holding off on submitting work to other shows, and I'm waiting on the galleries that I work with until I can get a clearer idea of whether they will eventually reopen or not.

HS, Well Done!! WooHoo!! How wonderful to have properly smashed your 27 min goal.  And, it sounds like should be able to reach the new WAVA 70%, as well.  I'm so glad that your foot recovered enough to make the run.

I really enjoyed your photos of the marina. Thank you for posting them. It looks like you had a lovely walk.  I often take photos during my walks with my dogs, as I base a lot of my work on the pictures that I take.  And, my dogs are well trained to lie down and wait while I figure out how to get the picture that I want. iPhones have definitely made my life easier.  

Our president is going to get a lot of people sick.  His people are still pushing the crazy conspiracy theory that the virus is hoax perpetuated by the opposing political party. The craziest thing about all of this is that he might get re-elected.  I really don't understand how nearly 50% of the US population can listen to him and think that he makes a good president.  We're about 5.5 months out from the election, so we'll see what happens.

WtnMel, I'm so glad to hear that your mum (trying to use the correct UK term :smile: ) is ok, albeit a bit bored.  My fingers are crossed that she is let home next week in good shape. 

This is a time that it definitely pays to be living in the UK. In the US, your mother would be receiving a host of medical bills for the surgery and covid stay. If she didn't have insurance coverage, she would be held liable for the entire cost of her medical care. And, in any case, anything that insurance or medicare didn't cover, your mother would still be held responsible for. One of the problems with testing for Covid in the US is that people who don't have insurance don't like to go to the doctors.  

It sounds like you may be hitting some sub 10 minute miles by the end of the summer. Your new normal pace is getting much faster. Yay!! Your running club is going to be surprised when you finally get to run together again.

I have to ask, what kind of bugs are you squishing in your running game? Icky cockroaches are one thing, but cute ladybugs are quite another :wink:

DamienNagle,  Good job on getting out for your night runs. You are strong. I would have a really hard time running after a day of work. I am glad that you are adjusting to running after eating. It is amazing how our bodies will adapt for us.

I ran a tempo run yesterday, and today is a rest day before tomorrow's long run.  The tempo run was a lot of fun and that workout is definitely my favorite out of the weekly schedule.  Tomorrow's long run is supposed to be 10 miles, but I'll add on an extra to make up for the treadmill training.  The treadmill seems to be the way to go right now. My neighbor, who also runs, told me that she got chased into the road, yesterday. Apparently, some bozo was walking 5 large dogs up the sidewalk. When the dogs saw her running toward them, they became very agitated, barking and dragging their owner toward my neighbor. Beyond the dogs, the sidewalks are just very busy.  There are police officers parked by the seawalls to try and keep people moving along, but it isn't a great situation.  I really don't want to add to the chaos by trying to dart in and out between people.  So, you can picture me on the treadmill with a large chunk of chocolate being dangled on a string in front of me as I run. :smiley:

Good afternoon everyone,

Molly, good luck with your 11 miles tomorrow, which appears will be on the treadmill. It is shocking that you have to resort to it, as it as the roads are so crowded. I have a picture in my mind now of you on the treadmill, with chocolate, instead of a carrot dangling in front of you on a string.

That's good news that your work is likely to go on line, but I'm not surprised that you are a little nervous about selling it to someone who hasn't seen it in person.

Thanks, I was really pleased to smash the 27 minute barrier for the 5k, especially as I had been worried about my foot. I also had an achy back from gardening, hence the walk on Friday.

I'm glad that you liked the photos of the Marina. The huge cruise ships are often anchored in Southampton docks and you can probably make out one in one of the photos. It was quite difficult taking them because it was into the sun. It would be nice if you could post a photo of one of your walks with the dogs.

Your President seems to have a screw loose! He doesn't have a clue, yet as you say, he has a good chance of being re-elected.

It's been very hot and sunny today, and is forecast to get warmer during the week. I ran 8 miles in the forest this morning, and I had the Common to myself, as the Forestry Commission had padlocked the gate to prevent cars from parking. 
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Evening everyone,

HS - I liked those photos you posted. The water looks very calm - and I can see the cruise ship in the distance. I know what you mean about noisy garden machinery - I do try and limit my use to times when I won't upset neighbours (ie. not too early or late). Well done for smashing your 5K record - shame the new WAVA tables mean you missed out on a 70% score. 

Molly - no chocolate here. But Margaret has been baking cake so we're getting into the habit of having a slice with our afternoon tea. Re Trump, I'm hoping that Obama's recent intervention may make people stop and think - but I'm sure some will see it as another conspiracy (we have our own conspiracy idiots here in the UK too btw). I certainly hope I can speed up a bit more - losing some of that cake-induced weight would probably help. The bugs in the Fetchpoint game are fairly harmless - I'll post a photo of a map showing the bugs I have to squish by running outside the circle - and the jewels etc. I can pick up on the way round. Well done re your tempo run and good luck with your long treadmill run. 

I thought of some 'tweaks' to my 5G presentation and have spent a couple of hours this afternoon adding them and generally tidying the presentation up. I just timed myself and it took me about 20 mins to present - next step is to see if my son will 'volunteer' to be the recipient to see how it goes. If that works out okay I'll contact Alan the U3A group leader to let him know it's ready to go and to see if we can test out sharing a screen on Zoom.

I sent a message to Ian (aka. Lord Fetch) and he says the Fetchpoint map updates start around 4am. But with some of us running earlier than usual, he's going to set them off at 3am instead. So hopefully, I'll manage to squish all the bugs and get my 200 point bonus for clearing the map.

As golf courses have re-opened (with some new rules), my friend Alan and I are hoping to play on Thursday. Golf lessons are re-starting too so I've booked myself a 30min 'refresher' lesson for tomorrow afternoon. With that in mind, this morning I cleaned up my golf trolley, golf bag and golf shoes which all had a coating of mud from our last round we played on 13th March after a very wet period of time.

Planning to run first thing tomorrow morning - just need to stay awake long enough to concentrate on my golf lesson after lunch!

Molly - here's the Fetchpoint map I mentioned with the little red bugs ..

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

I ran 4.5mls earlier this morning (avg 10:35mm pace) and it was a bit busier than previous days. I passed 5 cyclists, 3 dog-walkers and 6 people. I also passed 9 other runners - though I'm pretty sure two of the ladies I passed by were ones I had seen earlier in my run (probably doing loops in the opposite direction to me). I was hoping they might be on Strava so I could use the 'fly-by' function to see if I was right but there was no sign of them.

I managed to squish all my Fetchpoint bugs so fingers crossed I get my +200 point bonus tomorrow. I've also started playing a game called Who Squares Wins and my opponent (called 'Vancouver Jogger' - but who appears to live in Cambridge) managed to run 3 more squares than me this morning. From a quick check of his training log he runs every day - so I may be onto a loser this week unless I run 'everywhere' on my home grid! (quality not quantity!).

Now I just need to stay awake enough for that golf lesson after lunch! :)

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone

I’ve a bit of catching up to do again I see…

WtnMel: Thanks very much for the info on resetting the satellites in Garmin, it was really helpful. I followed the instructions and this morning when I went for my long run Garmin found the satellites in a few minutes of being switched on. Quite a difference to it’s normal antics. Thanks also for the offer of help in setting up Zoom, I’ll certainly bear your offer in mind if I can persuade my sister to be more adventurous than a communicating via a phone call. 
    It’s a shame that your mum is getting bored in hospital, but at least she isn’t feeling “ill” as such. Whilst it’s good news that the virus isn’t making her feel unwell it’s a pity that it’s prolonged her stay in hospital.
    Well done for another speedy run yesterday, and for setting a new personal record for a mile in 10.02. I’m not surprised it left you feeling a bit tired. I agree these early runs do tend to catch up with you later in the day. I’m finding I need to take an extra rest day every now and then to recover properly. Yesterday I intended going out again at 5.30am for my long run, but I felt far too tired when I woke up so decided to give it a miss and had a day pottering about instead.
    Good news about the golf courses re-opening, good luck for Thursday. Did you get out for your run this morning?

HS: Yes there are still plenty of issues around how and when to ease the social distancing regulations. Yesterday afternoon Steve and I drove over to the sailing club at the coast to check whether the boats had been taken out of the boathouse yet following their winter “hibernation”. At the end of the season the boats are stacked on a shelving system inside the boathouse, and at the beginning of the following season the club asks for volunteers to join a working party to remove them and place them on the beach. It’s quite a military operation requiring a number of people to work in close proximity, so with the current restrictions it hasn’t been possible to bring the boats out yet this year. However a post of Facebook seemed to indicate that a number of boats were in place on the beach, so Steve wanted to go over to check if his was one of them (and check it hadn’t been damaged during the removal). As it happens the boats were still in the boathouse, but not everyone can get a place in the boathouse due to limited space, and it seems it was these boats that the owners had removed from whatever storage they’d been using and taken them to the beach. This has prompted a lively discussion on Facebook about whether or not sailing can now start. The short answer is no, because apart from the impossibility of social distancing among crew members you also need a two man safety boat out for each sailing session, which again poses problems for distancing between the crew. Then if someone capsizes how can they be rescued if you have to keep 2 metres apart etc etc … Despite all this, there are still people trying to persuade the club that sailing should start again. Madness. While at the coast we noticed that there was a lot of surfers, all swimming out on their boards in a pretty tight group, certainly no social distancing there. Perhaps they thought the sea would disinfect them? 
    We didn’t hang around at the coast, just checked the boats on the beach and left. It was surprisingly busy though, with car parks fairly full for a Tuesday afternoon on an overcast day. The traffic on the way there and back was almost at pre virus levels.
    Great photos of the Marina, and excellent news that you smashed 27 minutes for the 5k challenge! It really doesn’t seem fair that the WAVA goalposts have been moved just at this time, it's a pity that they couldn’t have waited until you’d got your 70%. Rotten spoilsports. :)  (69.77% is pretty close though, I’m sure you’ll get there next week). You were lucky to have the forest to yourself this morning on your 8 mile run. I set out even earlier than usual for my 7 mile run, but encountered dog walkers before I’d run a mile, and it was only just after 5am, I’m certainly not going to try to get out any earlier than that. 

Molly: I’m afraid my knee was a bit sore this morning towards the end of my 7 mile run. I did an hour of circuit training yesterday, and it seemed ok then, but perhaps the circuits may have contributed to today’s twinges. I stretched immediately after the run and everything seemed ok then, but sitting typing this will probably cause it to stiffen up again. I think it’s just a case of managing it as well as I can. My physio sent me a text this morning asking for an update, so I’ll do that later and see what she says.
    Yes it is a pain that Steve’s AF may still be there. We haven’t heard back from the nurse yet, hopefully we may hear something today. It’s such a shame because Steve wants to get back to the Couch to 5k programme he’d started, but he’s reluctant to do that if he still has AF. I think it must be getting him down because all he can do is go for walks. He did try cycling, but we are surrounded by hills and the only fairly flat route around here is congested with dog walkers. 
    Haha I’m sure you don’t look anything like a beach ball, and a little treat from time to time is a good thing. I don’t have a sweet tooth, so I suppose I’m lucky that way, my treat would be a nice glass of wine in the evening.
    Good luck with your online show. I can understand you being nervous of selling to someone who hasn’t seen your work in person, so maybe you need to try to look on it in a different way. Imagine there has only ever been online viewing, no alternative, online viewing is the norm.
    I am full of admiration for anyone who can run 11 miles on a treadmill, the mind boggles, but it is probably safer than negotiating busy sidewalks and irresponsible dog owners.

Damien: Well done for keeping up your running while you are so busy at work. I always think evening runs seem more tiring, and certainly need more motivation. Do you find running in the evening affects your sleep? I used to find it took me a while to get off to sleep after an evening club session. 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - glad those instructions regarding re-setting your Garmin appear to have done the trick .. fingers crossed it carries on behaving itself. I mentioned Margaret has been heading out for a walk before 5am some mornings - she woke up a couple of days ago and decided she was too tired so turned over and went back to sleep. As you'll see next time you are on here, I got out for my run this morning (and squished a few bugs and claimed a few squares). Reading about the boathouse storage reminded me about a friend who had a caravan. They had a similar military-style operation in the Autumn to move all the caravans to a hard-standing area (and had to do the same in reverse each Spring). As you say, anyone at your club arguing they should be allowed to go out sailing is definitely mad given the circumstances. Well done re your early 7ml run - what a shame there were other early-birds out and about. Hope your knees recover quickly.

I got back from my golf lesson a short while ago and considering I've had two months off, it went okay. There wasn't anything new to learn - it was just a case of me being reminded of the things that I need to practise and try to correct. He has a fancy piece of equipment called Trackman which uses radar to track exactly what the club is doing - along with him filming me it means I can see exactly what I'm doing and more importantly, what the club is doing as it makes contact with the ball.

As I'm probably playing golf on Thursday with Alan, I'll probably delay my next run until Friday. By then, I'll have more bugs to squish and I'll be able to see how many squares my opponent 'Vancouver Jogger' has claimed in my absence.
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, thanks! The water isn't always that calm, but it was that day.

I think we were all a bit peeved about the WAVA tables being updated, but we must move with the times. 

Good luck with your 5g Presentation, you  seem to be making good progress, and it would be good if you can try it out on your son before it goes live.

I hope you beat Alan on Thursday in your golf match. Your refresher lesson yesterday should help. I've just seen your last post advising that the lesson went well. That Tracksman sounds a very useful bit of kit, which hopefully will help you to improve your game.

Good luck with your squashing, and hope you can claim more squares than"Vancouver Jogger."  I've just noticed that you ran 4.5 miles this morning.

Aquarius, a good idea to have a rest day today if you were feeling tired. I aim for 2 rest days per week.

It seems that everyone is pressing to get back to normal, which is utter madness, as 2 metre distancing is impossible in most scenarios.  

I'm glad that you liked the photos of the Marina, and thanks for agreeing that they were rotten spoilsports moving the goalposts.

I was lucky having the common to myself yesterday, but I knew it would be empty, as every year, they lock the gate to the entrance, whilst the birds are nesting, and so that they won't be disturbed. I'm able to run round the side of the gate to get in. Dog walkers don't enter, because they would have to drive to get there, and as there is nowhere to park, they have to find somewhere else. I'm sorry to hear that your very early morning runs are being spoilt by early morning dog walkers.

I think that your sore knee may be a consequence of your circuit training, especially if you were doing star jumps, burpees, dynamic lunges etc.

Hope you hear from the nurse today regarding Steve's AF.

It was very hot and sunny today and I ran 8.26 miles in the forest this morning with Sarah H. There were a few dog walkers and runners, but we were easily able to run round them. We saw several foals that looked like they hadn't been born  very long and were laying down. We didn't see any stallions though, which was a relief.
  • Evening runs can affect sleep but I make sure I have a couple of hours rest before bed to avoid restlessness.
    Morning all,

Damien,  sounds good tactics to ensure a good night's sleep. 

A lovely hot, sunny morning and went for another walk. Walked 3.87 miles around the Marina and took a few more photos. 

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone,

HS: they are lovely photos, that looks like a very pleasant walking route. Being a nice sunny day helps to show the Marina off to full advantage.
    I don’t do star jumps or burpees as for me they are much too likely to result in injury. The circuit training I do is a series of strength exercises targeting different parts of the body - core, upper body, lower body, so it’s things like side plank, press ups, lat raise, squats, lunges, overhead press, bridge, single leg deadlift etc. Each day a different exercise is posted and I try to do most of them at one time or another, putting together my own session of 15 or so exercises. I avoid anything that I think is too advanced for me, or anything that looks likely to affect my knee. They are quite challenging, but I can definitely feel, and see, the difference they are making.
    Unfortunately we haven’t heard back yet from the AF nurse, hopefully we’ll hear something soon.
    WtnMel: well done on your golf lesson, now you've no excuse not to beat Alan tomorrow :)
    We went for a very hilly 4 mile walk today along some country roads. The only problem was encountering other walkers where the pavement was so narrow it was single file only, this happened a few times and invariably we were the ones who “blinked first” and stepped out into the road. 
  • Good Morning Everyone,

HS, your pictures are lovely. The marina looks a little like Portland, Maine.  Are the flowers in the last picture lupines?

I would post pictures of my morning walk, except that it is currently limited to walking around the block in my neighborhood, which isn't very exciting. However, we will probably go for another drive this weekend. If we can find areas to pull the car over so as to take pictures of the ocean or the salt marshes, I'll post some of those. It is quite nice at this time of the year.  The ocean might be more of a challenge to get some pictures of, as the beaches are still closed and the parking areas are still blocked off.

How magical to see newborn foals!  Your forest is amazing, I am glad that it is padlocked now, and quieter for you and Sarah H. to run in. 

Your mileage sounds fairly steady, does that mean that your sore foot has healed? How about your back?

WtnMel, Wow! That is a lot of bugs, and jewels. Thank you for posting the map.  I definitely get a chuckle out of your running games.  Good luck on beating the Vancouver Jogger.

The golf courses in most of our states have opened, as well.  But, it sounds like there are some fairly stringent regulations. I'll be interested to hear how you find the change in regulations at your golf course. And, of course, I hope you give Alan a run for his money :smile:

Great job on finishing up your 5G presentation for the U3A meeting. I hope that it goes really well, and you enjoy yourself.  Do you have a time scheduled yet?

Aquarius, I hope that your knee has calmed down. Did you hear from your physio?  It is a challenge to find strength train that supports our bodies in running, instead of over stressing the body.  

I can imagine that Steve is frustrated. I hope that you hear something from the nurse soon.  The lack of exercise is getting to Brian, as well.  We received the results from his 2 weeks of wearing the prescribed heart monitor. Unfortunately, they weren't good results. The monitor recorded slightly over 1500 episodes of AF during those two weeks. No wonder he keeps feeling out of breath. Ugh! At least they were all very short in duration.  But, now, we have to wait to hear from his heart doctors.  I really don't want him to go in for a third ablation, so we might look at trying medication again.  

Damien Nagle, I hope that you are still enjoying your evening runs. I'm with Aquarius, I would have a really hard time sleeping after an evening run. I'm glad that you have worked out a system to make your running schedule work.

I ran the 11 miles on the treadmill yesterday, and I am still mostly sane.  To keep some of the boredom at bay, I played with the incline function during the middle 5 miles, by increasing it or decreasing it every half mile. The result was that the run was mentally easier, but physically more challenging than I had planned, and my legs are pretty tired today.  Today's schedule calls for an hour on the bike, which I plan on being a very easy hour.  With today's workout, there will be one more week of training crossed off. Next week is a much needed 'step back week'.

Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, glad you liked the photos, it was a lovely morning for a walk.

I don't do any workouts that involve jumping, as like you, I'm afraid of injury, especially my knees. I do most of the others that you do on my rest days. I'm sure that you are feeling the benefit. I'm putting my improvement in pace, partly down to the workouts. I've always stretched after running, but been lazy on upper body work.

Hope it won't be long now before you hear from the AF Nurse.

Having to "give way" to other walkers, cyclists etc is very frustrating. I invariably give way, but believe that it's better to be safe than sorry. I have the same problem whilst doing the 5k challenge, having to look over my shoulder and step into the road. Not only is this dangerous, but also loses me valuable seconds.

Molly, glad that you liked the photos. The Marina is lovely, and there were very few people about. I'm afraid I don't know the name of those flowers.

A pity that your running is limited to round the block, which must be very boring and uninspiring. Hope you are able to get away at the weekend, and are able to take some photos.

The area of the forest that was securely protected, was only one part, to protect the nesting birds. There is access to most of the forest, which was founded during the Norman Conquest. Henry the V111 introduced deer for hunting, so it has quite an history. I ran in the common alone, and yesterday with Sarah in an unrestricted area.

My foot and back seem ok now thanks, and I'm hoping to do the 5k again at the weekend. I will do a solo run tomorrow morning in the forest.

Sorry to hear that Brian is still experiencing AF, and hope that you won't have to wait too long to hear from the heart Doctor.

Well done for enduring 11 miles on the treadmill. I don't know how you can do it, I would be bored stiff after just a few minutes. Hope the hour on the bike was more relaxing than the treadmill torture! Hope you feel the benefit next week by stepping back.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good evening all,

Molly: I’m so sorry that you got such disappointing news about Brian’s results. He must be feeling really down. As must you, I know how wearing and stressful this situation is, but you sound like you are trying to keep a positive outlook which is very laudable under the circumstances. I do hope Brian’s heart doctor will be in contact soon and will be able to recommend a suitable treatment plan. 
    I heard that Captain Tom Moore (the 100yr old army veteran who has raised over 32 million pounds for the NHS by walking 100 laps of his garden) is to be awarded a knighthood. I think you deserve The Order of The Treadmill for completing 11 miles, and with inclines! I can’t imagine anything more soul destroying. I hope you took it easy on your planned hour long bike session today, good job you have an easy week coming up.

HS: Enjoy your forest run tomorrow. I hope you don’t come across any of those stallions. 

Damien: When I ran in the evenings I would just have a snack before running and wait until after the run to eat my evening meal. For all I kept that post-running meal on the small side, and probably didn’t go to bed for another couple of hours after that, nevertheless I suppose eating late must have contributed to my inability to sleep.

WtnMel: When I posted earlier I forgot to wish you luck with your presentation tomorrow, so I’ll do so now. As you’ll no doubt beat Alan at golf in the morning ;) you’ll be in the right frame of mind for your presentation in the afternoon. Then all that remains is to show “Vancouver Jogger” who is boss.

If I wake up in time tomorrow I'll do my interval session again.
  • I ran tonight and the heat nearly beat me but I just kept going and managed the 10k in 54.14mins.
    I'm not that keen on it being this dry and warm as it's harder to breathe.
    I'm never happy lol
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

Damien: I sympathise with you regarding breathing problems in the heat, I really don’t enjoy running in warm weather, I find it very energy sapping. Although I’m currently trying to run early in the morning, and therefore before it warms up, it’s not a good time for hay fever sufferers, and I find I’m struggling with the high pollen count. This morning I noticed my chest was getting tight towards the end of my interval session. As you say, we’re never happy are we? B)

For all I got out a bit earlier than usual (4.45am) this morning I noticed as I was jogging back for my last interval that a runner with a dog was coming towards me. He had a small terrier-like dog with him and, having seen me, was putting it back on the lead. This was lucky because as I passed it started a deep throated growling and leapt at me, fortunately it was on a static lead and was jerked back by the owner. For some reason I had the feeling that this runner was going to use this same section as me for his running, and therefore I’d encounter them again on my next interval. Sure enough half way through my next interval the runner and dog were running back towards me, as we passed the dog again leapt at me, barking furiously, and being on the runner’s inside they ended up in a tangle of legs and lead. As this almost tripped the runner up and consequently brought him to a halt I hoped he had learnt something from the experience. I may be biased, but I really don’t think dogs and runners are a good combination. 
    My physio has posted another Pilates session online, so I think I may do that later today for a good stretch out.
    (WtnMel: thanks again for the satellite tip - I got them this morning just after leaving the house)
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, today has been even hotter than yesterday, so I only managed 6 miles in the forest this morning. It was very heavy going, but I didn't see any stallions.

How frustrating, that runner with his dog that leapt up at you barking furiously. It would have served him right if he had actually fallen over when he got tangled up with the lead. I agree that runners shouldn't run with their dogs, especially in parkruns. I think we have had that conversation before!!

Good luck with your Pilates if you decide to do the session.

Damien, well done for your 10k last night in the heat. That was an excellent time, especially as you found it harder to breath.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone 

No running for me today, we had intended trying a new walking route, but the wind has been really strong today, and is forecast to be the same tomorrow unfortunately. Our garden chairs and bins were blown over so we didn’t venture out of doors.
     I hope everyone is well and not getting the same weather as us!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

HS - well done re your recent runs and nice photos of the marina from your 4ml walk.

Aquarius - that exercise routine is the sort of thing I should be doing .. perhaps you can add "Kick Mel's Bum" to your routine :) Sorry to hear you met a few other walkers on narrow portions of your walk. I agree about dogs and runners not being a good combination. At our Thu morning sessions we often used to have one or more and occasionally they'd get in my way .. and I probably growled at them! Glad to hear that reset of your Garmin appears to have done the trick - thank you Google for allowing me to find the info easily.

Molly - as you'll see below, Vancouver Jogger will be hard to beat. And as I mention below, the presentation should be happening on Thu 4th Jun. Wow! - 11 miles on a treadmill is impressive and I hope your legs soon recover from that. Sorry to hear the news about Brian wasn't what you had hoped. 

Damien - as I've mentioned, I've been running early mornings. But I've been seeing runners toiling in the heat like you in the evenings as they plod past our house.

Mum update - although my Mum had another covid test and this also came back positive, she's been discharged from hospital and is now back in her flat, with carers coming in twice a day and Meals On Wheels visiting at lunchtime.

5G update - I ran through my presentation with my son and he gave me some good feedback and ideas for how to improve it. I'll tweak it over the weekend and on Mon morning will chat to the guy who leads the U3A Science & Technology U3A group as he would like to see the slides - he obviously wants to see the presentation for himself before the 4th Jun meeting, when I'll be presenting it to the rest of the group.

Fetch Games update - "Vancouver Jogger", who I'm playing in Who Squares Wins and who runs every day, now has 75 squares to my 52 .. I may have to do a strategic run on Sunday picking off just enough squares to pip him at the post. Better luck with Fetchpoint .. I've managed to squish all the red bugs on a couple of days and currently have 700 points and am #484 on the leaderboard. But to put things into context, the top 10 players (who cycle and so amass many more points than us runners), have between 21000-68000 points. I did notice a buddy on Fetch called Hillstrider is position #281 with 2467 points so maybe I'll try and overhaul him :)

I ran 5mls early this morning. We'd had some light rain early on and it was still around when I set off - but my jacket soon came off as I warmed up. It was quieter than Tue and I saw 6 dog-walkers but only 4 other runners. It was fairly benign while I was out but the wind certainly picked up this morning and has been blowing quite hard all day long. For what it's worth, when I stopped my Garmin, it said it had detected a new VO2 max score of 41. 

Alan and I played 9 holes of golf yesterday. My driving off the tee went to pot after a few holes so although I started off in the lead, he eventually beat me by 5 shots. We're hoping to play again next Wed morning.

We've had a power cut today which lasted four hours - we were just glad we'd made our mid-morning coffee shortly before the power went.

• Good Evening Everyone,

HS, How fascinating to hear about the history of your forest.  Was it originally attached to a castle?  

I am really glad to hear that your foot and back are holding up well.  I'm very excited to hear about tomorrow's 5k results.  Your virtual 5k challenge has really turned out to be a wonderful thing.

We are planning on taking a drive this weekend, and I will try and get a few photos of our area so you can see what it is like here.  I believe that our landscape may in part be a bit similar to what you call fens.

Aquarius, Yikes! I'm really glad that you didn't get bit by that little dog. 

It is too bad about your weather. I hope that the wind calms down and you can get back out this weekend. 4:45 am is crazy early! Ugh! I do admire you for running that early.  

DamienNagle, It is hard to find the perfect weather to run in. It always seems to pass by in a blink. I hope that you are staying hydrated in the dry heat.

WtnMel, Congratulations to your mother on being released from the hospital. I'm sure that she will be much more comfortable in her apartment.  If she is has covid, but is asymptomatic, will they continue to test her to find out when she is no longer contagious, or will they just assume that the virus will pass?

Okay, I have June 4th marked on my calendar. I am looking forward to hearing how the presentation goes!

Oh my gosh, you are a hoot (major americanism there) with your running games. I have to say it sounds quite fun, and very sporting of you to give HillStrider an advanced warning of a possible challenge. :smiley:

Too bad about your game with Alan, but how wonderful that you are able to play again. It is nice when some pieces of pre-covid life seem to return.  

I have good news and news. Brian talked to the heart surgeon today, and the good news is that the 1500 atrial fibrillation episodes that the heart monitor picked up were what they call 'trigger events', as opposed to actual episodes.  The trigger events are ok as long as they don't become actual episodes. The bottom line is that the ablation procedure seems to be working the way it is supposed to, and he has been cleared to start exercising again. His heart doctor will be supplying him with a 'back to exercise' plan, so he will be waiting for that. It's the first time that we've had good news on that front for several years so we're kind of giddy.  Aquarius, my fingers are crossed that you and Steve get similar news soon!

My news is that the marathon that I had planned on running is probably not going to happen.  We talked to one of the members of the running club that sponsors the marathon. He shared with us the information that the city where the marathon is held is rightfully (in my opinion) balking at the idea of 5000 runners, plus vendors, descending on the center of the town. So, the necessary permits for the event are being frozen and possibly rescinded. I know that I said that I would run it alone, but I have to say that my heart just isn't in it at this point.  And, I'm not really sure that running the requisite long runs on the treadmill would be good for my mind or my body.  I could see myself really burning out on training. So, I have decided to go into a sort of holding pattern where I maintain my training where I am, which is close to half marathon ready. If it looks like there is any chance of the race opening up again, I'll switch my entry to the half marathon.  If it looks like running outside starts to become more reasonable, I'll think about increasing my mileage again. With that in mind, I'm planning on a very short, faster paced fun run this weekend :smiley:

• I ran about 7pm in the nasty wind ...I did 10k and 7k of it was against a 42mph wind.
    see the link below for the strava stats

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Molly - I presume they'll test my Mum again in a week or two but don't know for sure. I've finished tweaking that 5G presentation and have sent the slide pack to the U3A guy and we're having a Zoom chat tomorrow morning. Yes, these running games are good fun and Fetchpoint (the one with the bugs) is good because the bugs can pop up anywhere within the circle, so you end up running varied routes to get them instead of the 'regular' routes you might usually do by default. Good to hear that those AF episodes were just 'trigger' events and nothing more sinister. I'm not surprised that marathon you planned to do is probably not going to happen. And I don't blame you for changing your mind about running it yourself as doing the long run training on your treadmill would be monotonous and I hope for your sake, you can soon get outside training regularly again.

Damien - well done for running in that strong wind. Thanks for the link to Strava - I'm on Strava myself so have begun following you.

I ran at 6:15am this morning and did 4.5 mls. It was very quiet .. just 4 cyclists, 2 dog-walkers, 3 walkers and 1 other runner (who was actually walking as I passed him!). I've given up any chance of over-hauling Vancouver Jogger as with him out running every day, he's now up to 91 squares compared to my 52. However, with Fetchpoint, I did manage to squish both bugs this morning so will get another 200 point bonus tomorrow.

Alan emailed to let me know he's managed to book us a 10:40 tee-time for next Wed morning. Just 9 holes though as the 18 hole course we had hoped to play on was fully-booked all day! There's obviously a lot of golfers out there who have been desperate to get back out on the course.

Good afternoon everyone, I've got rid of that annoying spammer. I noticed that 4 of you had already flagged it, so it must take 5 now. 

Aquarius, I can't believe that I haven't posted since Thursday. It's been very windy here, these last few days.

WtnMel, glad you liked the photos of the Marina. Good news that your Mum is now home again, with carers and meals on wheels.

Well done completing the tweaking of the 5G Presentation, and hope the Zoom chat tomorrow goes well.

I didn't realise that I'm partaking in "Who Squares Wins." Surely there can't be more than one Hillstrider, I would have thought one was more than enough😁

Well done for your new Vo2Max, but sorry to hear that Alan beat you at golf. Better luck next Wednesday. I note from todays post that Alan has only been able to book a 9 hole golf session for Wednesday. Perhaps that will give you an advantage.

Well done for your early morning run, this morning.

Molly, I'm afraid that there was never a castle attached to the forest, although I believe William the Conqueror was responsible for many castles being built in the UK.

Thanks, the foot and back have been ok. I ran the 5k again yesterday in 26.41, 15 seconds slower than the previous week. I have an excuse😠. During the first mile, a white van man threw a tin can at me which just missed. It did, however, land just in front of me and was bouncing. Somehow, I manged to avoid treading on it, which otherwise would probably have caused a nasty fall and some broken bones, which would have ended my running career.😧 I lost valuable seconds due that incident, but thankfully I was able to continue unscathed. It was very windy, but that was no excuse, as it was a tailwind outward, but headwind on the return.

Hope you were able to get out for a drive this weekend.

I'm glad to hear the good news about Brian, and that he can commence exercising again.

I think the picture regarding races this year is the same over here, and that there won't be any. I think that you are very wise not to try and do long runs on the treadmill, as this will be counter productive.

Hope you manged a shorter fast run today.

Another sunny but windy day today, and I did an easy pace 6.26 mile recovery run on roads.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Morning everyone,

HS - you're not taking part in Who Squares Wins .. it's Fetchpoint you still seem to be playing. A bit earlier on I went to check my own map and notice in the Fetchpoint activity that you had been for a run and planted/watered some flowers .. so that's presumably why you are still gaining points. I'm planning to go to the driving range tomorrow hoping that might help me play better when Alan and I do 9 holes on Wed.
    Afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, I hadn't realised that I was playing fetchpoint, so I clicked on the link. The map that appeared was of Waterlooville where I used to live. I clicked for Hythe which showed the correct routes of my runs, but all the symbols were planting or watering flowers. To be honest, I don't really understand it. I'm still checking the circles though.

Hope your practice on the driving range tomorrow proves beneficial, so that you can beat Alan on Wednesday. 

Another warm and lovely sunny day today, and I ran 7.26 miles in the forest. It was one of those runs where everything clicked into place. I was running at a good pace, without too much effort. The 5k challenges must be having a positive effect.
  • I did a mid-morning run today and it was getting busy with the people descending on the beach. A couple of hours later and it was rammed with hundreds of people.
    This mornings run was very warm with a head-on wind for the first 5k and it was behind me on the way back but I didn't feel the benefit on the way back.
    That will be my last morning run for a while now.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - re Fetchpoint, if you wanted to leave the game there's a link to do that from the 'settings' page. I think what's happening is your home point is still set to Waterlooville so the 1ml radius home circle around that is where the bugs, emeralds etc are appearing. But flowers appear whenever you run outside your home circle so as you are running at Hythe, that's where you are planting/watering them - hope that helps! I checked my circles after this morning's run btw - 437 so far this month. Well done re your 7.26ml run in the forest which sounded very enjoyable.

Damien - I can well imagine "sunshine + sea" meant there were hundreds of people milling around. Well done re your run - hope you'll still be able to fit future runs in later in the day.

I didn't manage to get off to sleep easily last night so really didn't want to get up this morning when the alarm went off at 5:30am. But I did get up and headed out for a run at 6:15am. Not as many cyclists and dog-walkers today but more people out walking and a few other runners as well. The people were mostly towards the end of my run (around 7am) so it meant a lot more dodging around than usual. But the runners were on the opposite path except one lady towards the end - but as I went to run in the road, she waved and promptly disappeared down a footpath.

I'm going to try visiting our post office after lunch to pay in some cheques (it takes longer via the post office but its easier than going to the bank in town). Then I shall head to the driving range for some practise before tomorrow's re-match ;-)
  • Good Morning Everyone,

Damien Nagle, Great job on that crazy windy run!  I envy your strength.

WtnMel, I am told that the early morning hours are getting less crowded in our area, as well. So, I have some hope of getting to run outside in the near future. Great job on continuing to get up so early :smiley: And, squishing so many pesky bugs!

I hope your slide review goes well today. You've put so much work into this presentation, I would imagine that it is very good and that you are impatient to deliver it.

I agree with HS that, hopefully, a shorter golf course will work in your favor, and this time you will beat Alan!

HS, Oh My Gosh! What a horrible person to throw a can at a runner. People amaze me some times. I am really glad that you managed to avoid stepping on it and possibly injuring yourself.  Right now, with the virus, we have enough to protect ourselves from. We shouldn't have to worry about protecting ourselves from each other.

Great job on staying with the run despite that experience. I think I probably would have stopped in my tracks.  If you only lost 7 seconds, you will probably come in under the 70% wava with ease next weekend.

I agree that the decision to back off on the marathon training was a good one for me.  I was noticing that it was getting harder and harder to motivate myself to get on the treadmill, and I was definitely not enjoying the runs.  I love running. It is just not worth taking a chance of losing that feeling for an event that isn't happening.  

I ended up taking a few days off from running over the weekend, and it definitely helped my frame of mind.  Yesterday, I did a 4 mile run on the treadmill, but I stacked it with really steep inclines that made it much more interesting. I wouldn't have been able to manage that type of run during the marathon training, as my legs are very tired today, and in need of a rest day.  

As more people seem to be going out during the day instead of early morning, I have some hopes that running outside may be possible in the near future.