Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    From hearing from people before Simon anything in the migraine estate can be a nightmare..so hope that sticks to being that rare one.

Bus, one of those forward two back.
    Swelling and pain are never good.
    Different area completely or still mostly at the piercing site?
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit iffy SC, I trust it's as you say though. 

This thorn business is turning into quite the drama Bus, I find sometimes that you can think you're back to square one and suddenly all is well again a couple of days later, fingers crossed. At least the weather is good for cycling. I will have to familiarise myself with the hills you mention, I've done up Whiteleaf, down Kop and then I think the Wardrobes which from memory may have been the pink thing you mention. I will plan a new route to take it all in.

Pete, I have some friends who were around the Surrey hills yesterday doing many of those, I will do them at some point. I've done a few; Box, York's, White Lane and the Wall along with Leith Hill but not int he direction of the book.

Yesterday I did Streatley and Combe. 77 miles in total, I had a good dig at both but should have recced the segments as despite doing Streatley over 20 times I didn't realise the segment went on after the steep bit but still managed a PB of 4:01 and 400 watts but would have been 420w, good enough for 165th/9311 on Strava, will have to go back on a shorter ride with less weight onboard.

For Combe Gibbet I actually didn't realise it had started and I was nearly a third of the way through it, averaged 450w once I realised but only 384w overall so will have to go back and do it again was 156th on that but 72nd on the bit I was trying on. The national hill climb championships are at Streatley this year so I might enter that for a laugh but it means you'll never be able to beat your best on a normal ride!

Our club have just set up another 5k virtual job with some pointless beat Mo Farah handicap angle, I assume this means just beat your last 5k time and you beat Mo, or it means you need to get coked up on red bull and juiced to the max before racing, not sure.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think my last 5k was that one the morn after the murder mile / lost in some country park nearing dark extravaganza...so could potentially beat that 1840 or whatever it was.

Good to hear cycle segs have that annoying "get the route slightly wrong" thing too.

Most annoying was mashing myself round a field once then zooming in and seeing the path curved slightly round a bend.
    Totally impossible to see on usual size view 😙💩
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Still an impressive ride Reg!

If you do get over this way, maybe approach from Chinnor up Chinnor Hill, then down Wigans Lane and head to Kop HIll that way. (Tour of Britain Route) before the loop of Wardrobes/Whiteleaf, just to soften the legs up :smiley:

And yes - great weather for cycling. Thank goodness! Feckin stupid thorn - what a bleedin' ridiculous injury!!!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bus, I'll have a look at that. Lost my down past the station CR today to this run.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I normally just add a full stop to the reason for flagging box but this time I added "moron on a train"
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What a legend!

Found some guy a bit too pleased with himself at racking up 3-4 segs in a 11-12min miling run.

Might need a SG smashfest tomorrow
    Cue attempting an "easy looking" hill seg and having to sit down and get the HR down to human levels 😄
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I managed my Chobham - Horsell - Chobham round trip without navigational issue Pete. I didn't start in Sunningdale having read your words on 'planning a big one' and in the end only did 14 miles or so. Lovely route which included running right across the end of Fairoaks airstrip where there is a very nice warning sign saying: 'don't stop'!

I'm actually becoming quite fond of the navigational tools on the Garmin having never having thought about using them for the last 10+ years.

Used my once a week bike time to go up the Alpe again on Zwift this morning. Knocked a few mins off my PR and then got immersed in reading some of the sniping over segments. It seems trains are pretty much fair game on Zwift.

Bus, you're having it rough. It's hard to tolerate something so out of your control. Hang in there.

Simon, that migraine warning sign also sounds scary. Like most I expect, I thought I was going to read on and find that you'd canned the session rather than pushed on in a hailstorm!!

TR, which Garmin model did you get? I have what was at the time of purchase top end Fenix model and the GPS is appalling under any kind of tree cover. It really is one of my worst ever investments. It's right up there with the 'modern classic' Golf GTi I bought a few years back. I expect that they'll end up in the same place (scrapheap) soon enough.
  • Options
    Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Aley - I'm keeping to a stretching & strengthening routine, so that hopefully I don't end up back where I was! Heel raises have made me realise the left calf is somewhat weaker. Glad to see you're making progress with your weekly kilometerage.

Sorry to hear that the foot has decided to play up again Bus, I'm sure it'll right itself soon enough.

That migraine sounds nasty SC, and so does the hail!

Nice hill climbing Reg - the only one of the top 100 climbs that I've ever done was Pork Hill from Merrivale to Princetown on Dartmoor. I've probably run it 10x more than I've cycled it - much easier that way!

Got out for an hours run on Sunday, the quads weren't happy with the hills but managed to get through it.
    Today's workout was 10mins hard effort ("HAMMER the 10mins" was the exact phrase...), opted to get out earlier than usual, although was still gone 11am, as it's due to warm up more into the evening. I wanted to start strong and pick it up in the second half went through the first 5mins at ~5:40/mi and finished the lot on 5:36/mi (1.78mi), so the second 5mins were close to 5:30/mi. Very happy with that, as it's pretty close to the pace of my 3km last August, in warm conditions and solo.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Simon: Sounds a bit scary but hopefully as you've had that sort of issue before and it has just been a one off every 18 months or so it may be just a minor event linked to migraine.

Bus: Must be mega frustrating that one; really feel for you. Back to cycling for a few days I guess. At least the weather is still holding fair arguably better for cycling than running at the mo anyway.

Great cycling as ever Reg; still amazed you talk of output around 400w so nonchalantly when most of us are probably about half that level!

Good long'un SG; very varied (especially for you ;) ) but well done on it and glad you enjoyed it.

Wool: Well done on navigating that one and a 14 is pretty long anyway! I've done that running by the Fairoaks strip and it is a bit disconcerting isn't it! Was on a club run as I don't really know that area well for running solo and just trusted our run leader to know what he was doing :*

Interesting what you say about the Fenix. Worrying it is still poor on GPS. My current Garmin is consistently underestimating distance because it is getting the GPS wrong (especially first k where it has me setting off from home running through other people's houses and gardens ;) ). It is very frustrating, most so when trying to use it for Virtuals!). I tried an experiment on Sunday wearing my old (even more cheapo) Garmin on one wrist and the current one on the other. The old (correctly) reached 5k at a point when the newer one was only on 4.86K, a 2-3% diff is normal v other people's and Strava too so guess I'll have to bin it. I was going to buy a better one, but if even your Fenix can't get the GPS right when under trees (most of the time round here until at least October!) not sure where that leaves me? Could go back to the old one for a while but that is awful on charge and is so basic it doesn't even have heart rate on it! Is the Navigational tool you refer too just pre-programming your route and it then works like a car Satnav, or is it like a proper car Satnav where you just put the destination in and let it find the best route?

Did an 11.5k run yesterday afto and was ok for 5k but hated it from there; no energy, crap pace, HR too high. Put it all down to going out in the heat of a hot day so hopefully nothing else amiss. Had done a 5k TT on Sat (parkrun alternative) on a super fast course some of the top guys in our club are using. Did 19'10 (VF assisted) but hoping that was a bit better than it sounds as prob ran about 5.15k (for reasons above ;)). Anyone got suggestions for the best Garmin to get for accurate GPS (lower the budget the better for me, as don't really use any of the fancier features like setting sessions, nav etc). 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Enjoyable read mostly though sorry to hear of your ongoing thorny issues Bus.
    Presume you meant Porlock Hill MH 🤣
    Superb ride that Reg but disappointingly poor seg research given that that was the purpose of the ride! I’ve done 61/100 of the 100 Greatest Climbs & 24 from Another 100 Climbs too. Had to get Simon Warren to correct the official Strava segment for Horseshoe Pass so it matched the book as I got home to find I’d joined above the Strava version in spite of the unusually clear book instructions stating it started after the junction I came in on. 
    No running for me yesterday but did do 36M on the tandem with the OH mid afternoon which was hot 🥵 work. First non-running day since April 21st. 17.4 ridiculously hilly miles today to make up for it. Scorchio! Didn’t finish til after midday.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Pete - I think that there is an acknowledged issue where the Fenix 5 series is worse than most which some have put down to the bits of metal casing it has. I hear folks talk positively of the 235/ 925 which are a fraction of the price. 

So far I've only used the function where you plot a route on Fetch, Garmin Connect, Strava, or something else and upload it. It then tells you what turns to make and when you're off course what general direction you need to head in to get back on. No doubt there are more sophisticated methods that are beyond me!

Some of you boys need to head out a bit earlier! I was out at 8:30 on Saturday and it was already too hot!!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Simon - migraines are no fun, my eldest gets them and the vision going is a warning for sure. Glad you are feeling better.

Bus - shame the foot flared up again

Top long ride Reg, the pace (on the train) made me smile.

Matt - i like the coaches instructions.

Jools - cracking long run, you must be on for a big May !

Wool - i got a 245. I watched it change by 1min/mile today as the trees stopped interferring.....not sure on the software, but it must be trying to sample, cant take the reading so thinks youve slowed down as it gets no value returned when it samples, but then gets corrected by the next sample and thinks youve sped up......so it probably corrects as it goes along. Biggest problem will be taking a lap measurement when its not able to correct. I expect to see that when i do 3min reps on the tree lined bits, will report back tomorrow.......

12m tonight
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps - very much appreciate the comments. It is frustrating when it seemed to be all over bar the shouting! Still, I definitely consider myself lucky that if it had to happen, then being able to get out on the bike in perfect weather gives a big chunk of yin to the thorny yang! 26 hilly miles tonight, including Wash Hill in Wooburn, just for SG.

I've never ridden on a tandem Jools. Not sure I'd trust anyone enough on a bike, but I guess you get used to it. Big miles today!

Pete - hot days do tend to find out when you're not quite on it.

Matt - not surprised you are happy with that session!

Reg - nothing suspicious about that CR, you're just paranoid :smile: It is called "training" after all...

Wool - I dip into a map based route planner on the Garmin occasionally. Its very useful for trying new routes without losing lots of time having to map read! Nice LSR by the wya.

I think most GPS struggle under thick tree cover. All my garmins give weird readings instant pace when up Bryant's Bottom, which is covered in thick foliage.....

As TR says, they do tend to make the pace back up as soon as they get line of sight to the satelllites.

Talking of whihc (almost) I walked out into my garden on Saturday night just at the right time to see the ISS pass overhead. I felt very humbled. Possibly because I was pissed, but even so...

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Bus - what a nightmare!! So annoying eh.MH - Great running mate, looks like you're on a good trajectory..Good cycling too from what I can make out!!

Don't read too much into the Migraines - been having them with the same level of severity and regularity since I was about 17. The first one you have obviously is really scary as you don't know whats happening!! Not even top scientists know what causes them. Just general tiredness with me doesn't help. Saturday's one was really mild.

did 30 x 200 over the track today in the 1.30pm heat (stupidly). Was going to do 10 x 600 on the field bit, but as the public do, 4 families had decided to sit down where I was going to run around the outside of the field. I honestly think they are doing it to annoy me :) Within 2 mins of being on the track the family cyclists arrived, obviously with  toddler learning to cycle....

Steady run tomorrow then 5 mile blast Friday.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Leg ok then SC2 or are you just being stoical?
    I mostly use average lap pace to avoid fretting over erratic instantaneous pace readings on my gadget TR.
    I backed up yesterday’s LR with another 18 this morning. My Garmin (310XT) claims this one was over 5,600’ of ascent. Think I’ve climbed Everest again already & currently on 310M for May. No wonder my legs feel battered!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think 30 x 200m is enough to give me a headache.

Anyone noticed their max HR dropping over the years because I haven't yet?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - nicely back to it (200 jog recovery?).

Jools - agreed, ive kind of already given up on looking at current pace. Top mileage and climbing. Im looking at around 330ish by cop for the month, but thats solid with shorter long runs.

10 inc 10x3min, didnt make the same distance as last couple of sessions by end of 10th rep, but i was tired during last niights 12m, so fully expected. Done and dusted and moved on.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

MH, for some reason, maybe because you've done so in the past, I thought you were going to say you were doing 3x10min or something, so I thought, heck, that's some pace for rep 1!

But as a single smash, the comparison v your 3k pace is the key. Good development.

Moz only once set me anything like that, a 2mile at 5k pace storm across town. My word I still remember the "down on haunches" after that.

Ah 30x200, have we ever discussed that before? ;) Simon's way - hardcore and decent without doubt. For likes of me, 12 or 16 at 3k or 5k pace is plenty.

The time I did the 30x200 with one per min, recovering for the non rep bit - I just wouldn't bother again to be honest. It's either a hard rep or a tempo for me, not some weird hybrid :D

Jools - you animal :D

TR - no harm done - that recovery time makes all the difference with a morning v evening the day before any efforts.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

As for me, a course yesterday meant it was the ideal time to do 2 things - change emphasis from 6 weeks in a row of slower than HMP tempos, and do a double for the first time in 2months.

As a session today then, I fancied a bit of a hill efforts job, linked into a few segs. With a couple of others being flat burns to keep the top end up.

Pleased with the effort levels, but in terms of the segs a bit of a disaster, hitting only 1 of the 6.

4 of them, I somehow must have got the route ever so slightly wrong, as during them they were 100% the right speed - yet have recorded as being miles off :D

Had to do a bit of waiting around on a couple as it's narrow in places. A few disclaimers to people about not holding them up. Oddly found myself saying I was doing a "Burn" to one guy, setting off at absolute mental pace for 30metres before calming down and remembering it only needed sub 6 pace :D
    Obvs still didn't get it - by a few metres of the starting place!

The toughest one was a 200-250m hill sprint that was always going to be hard work. Possibly not the day for it on a humid day 6miles or so in.

A couple pass me grinning, clocking that I'm about to do a "hill sprint" as they called it. Didn't feel a sprint I can tell you :) At least got to the top decently. Had a second quicker go. Going to be very optimistic to get this one...

And so it proved...did equal Mad Dom's time though, for 2nd, as he's a hill animal. But was surprised to see a pretty blondie lady from Marlow equal too! She must have been full beans, fresher/cooler day or something, as I didn't for a second take her as that fast.

Took the chance to explore up the hill into some woodland, knowing that there's always the chance of utterly going wrong.

So it inevitably proved, into a field marked "private road". Ignored that, thinking I'm not in a car, am not driving, so obvs fine :)
    Asked a couple of posh women walking dogs if I could just follow the road they'd arrived up - said it was private, but was ok - said well done on the run (!), and pointed out some woods in the distance with a vague "you can probably find a footpath through there"

10mins later I've waded through some woods, walking, off watch, thinking, this is not good...and back in the open, It's like another of those Jurassic Park scenes, massive open wilderness, with deers, rather than raptors out bouncing about.

Back where I'd come in, quick march round the house, clocking some bloke with dogs out - remembered Big Phil telling me how the Dashwoods love a bit of shooting handsome young topless runner blokes, and back out.

To then realise the correct way out was a mere 100metres further on and down Toweridge, the real steep one.

7.5miles on the clock, and knowing it's a 4mile route home, so sacked off any idea of the whole gang of hill reps in that area.

Couldn't leave the area, without having a crack at a ferocious 9min miling 1/3miler.
    Did it in reverse - can NOT get this one wrong. Awkward gate in the middle of the rep - no problem at 9min miling pace!

Cruised it off, onto the road to be sure.

Checked it later, somehow recorded me at 12min miling or something.

4miles back feeling pretty dam weary - and a lovely lie down.

Bit too long an account, but have to try and entertain a little, sue me :)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol - nice segment hunting SG :smile:  You'd be hoovering up the crowns if only you could read a map :smile:

I'm not sure why Simon, but 30x200m is a lot more impressive than 10x600m for the same distance!!!

TR - standard 10 :wink: Nice fatigued session thrown in though...

Jools - got to concur with SG. You are an animal!!!

20m on the bike tonight, but felt hard with tired legs for some reason
  • Options
    Sorry chaps, keep meaning to post more regularly - log in and read every morning but never quite get around to writing myself.

SG - going mad for the segment hunting, love it. Also saw a post a few days back about being worried about posting a report about a random run. Don't worry about that son, we all want to hear it.

Reg - I've done Streatley once, just because Katie's Mum kept talking about it (they live just down the road) and I knew she'd be dead impressed if I went up it. Unfortunately, it was when I was sick over Christmas, but stupidly went out and rode it anyway. Nearly killed me just getting up it and completely knocked me out for a couple of days. Sometimes I don't do the most sensible things. Also, saw your 10 min power for that short TT the other day - very impressive.

Bus - very frustrating mate, really hope it's clear and gone ASAP. Keep the cycling up in the mean time - great work!

SC - good to see you still logging the sessions. Missing the reports on all the track races, as that stuff always really interests me.

Jools - hitting it hard as ever! Is that the height of Everest in a month? Christ.

Just ticking over here really. Lots more biking and some running. Had a bit of a recovery week last week and now back on it, building towards Ironman Wales in September and pretending it's going to happen (it's not). 

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Bus -Probably find the 200's easier tbh.

TR - The 30 x 200 is an increasing recovery session, and it's not eyeballs out either. It's the first 10 with 10 seconds recovery (I usually do them at about 38 secs), then 10 with 20 secs recovery, then 10 with 30 secs recovery. So the first 10 are the hardest..I usually try and get the last 10 down to 35 secs or so. Very satisfying when it's done!

Jools .Ah yes  the leg. Well. Yesterday morning it wasn't good and felt empty, it was hot, but it ended up 7.30mm, couple of miles were close to 8's. Just have to manage it until I can get it to go properly. Perhaps it never will 100%.

SG - Nice hunting. I'm actually ok with that level of pettiness to get segments back. I'm the sort who loved the viral video of the crane driver who kept moving his crane slightly to keep the man trying to sunbathe in the shade. Superb.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The thing with segs, is it's all about the level they are set to.

If some don has smashed a rep down to low 4s, you're gonna have to produce perhaps a one off obliteration to get it. And chances are that's an effort not worth doing.

But if there are segs in the 5.30-6.30 sort of terrain, you an build them into a fartleky style bit more interesting session than a standard defined amount of reps at defined pace with defined recoveries in 1 place - that we'd typically do in race build ups.

Basically, in lockdown / no race time, they have more of a place I think.

Managed to misplace my ID band which is a bastad, but when I do get going i'm determined to finally get that slow flat golf course seg I keep getting the route wrong on!

After 12.5m yesterday and a bit of a smash fest, albeit not very successful in segs, i'll keep this one relaxed, and probably less than 10, as that was just a line in the sand figure when we were limited to singles.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

9.5 in the end.  7.30 or so all in which was plenty after yesterday.

One 200feet traipse up a hill over probably half a mile in fairness, was darn steep, and finally took that very easy golf course seg!

There's 2 segs up that hill - but that'd be one for another day, as 7.30-7.50 sounds bloody slow a pace needed, but, it is very steep!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    nice work SG, nice perseverance. How is this forum thing clever enough to tell me my spelling is wrong but it won't tell me the right answer.

TR, I do use autolap but if it beeps about 10 seconds before the marker or something I'll just divide it by the miles done and take it off my pace, doesn't have to be exact as I am only going to run as fast as I can anyway.

Pre-breakfast spin onthe bike for me today, 90 mins out into the Chilterns, really impressed how much you can see in such a short space of time before breakfast. Thanks to you running nerds I was able to point out that our 5km handicap race against Mo Farah's PB was being calculated using his 5,000m PB. Pretty sure it's gone down well with those organising it. I blame Phil's influence.

Despite living at home, spending a fortune on food including a lot of sugary stuff I have lost more weight, down to 72kgs this morning. I rewarded myself with an ice-cream, three slices of cinnamon toast with jam, a chocolate bar and a biscuit.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - IMWales could happen yet, esp with staggered starts ?

Simon  - sounds tough. I used to do 30mins of 30sec/30sec quite regularly.

Reg - on race day ill use elapsed time only, as you say the race is from gun to tape, and you do your best on the day. I race to effort due to having been gadgetless, but think thats the right thing anyway.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

TR -  think it wiped me out a bit for the run yesterday tbh! I like the 30 reps of 35 on and 25 jog down the canal too. Good little session.

Anyway - I am now an SW. Had to really, for the virtual 5m tomorrow and the masters one coming up. I have followed a few on here.I will follow anyone who wants to put their full name on a post on here...up to you. I have requested to follow SG, Bus and Dachs so far.

So Willen lake, MK, early doors tomorrow to try and get this 5M out of the way for Surrey league glory against the Met League. I'll be happy with sub 27.30, but going on yesterday that looks tough.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good segging SG.
    So what pace were the 3 min efforts TR?
    SC2 the SW :D Glad you’re managing the leg by keeping things normal 😜 Good luck in the 5M tomorrow. 
    Joe indeed Everested April & May now😎 I saw a proposed protocol for restarting triathlon racing with social distancing so you might be ok. Anyway looks like we’ll be able to do what we like by then. Pubs opening in a month was a headline I spotted today. Doubt pissed folk’ll be queueing 2m apart!
    Just 9M for me today & mostly flattish tarmac too for a change.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Can't see anything wrong with chasing the segs SG - in a furlough world with no racing you've got to have something to pass for a challenge/entertainment that's for sure! 

Cheers Joe.

Simon - glad you mentioned that as I didn't get a notification from Starav and found it by searching! It's the 30X something that scares me rather than the distance! Good luck at MK tomorrow!

And Reg - RW is trying to get you to learn for yourself :wink: Sme very nice countryside on that route this morning.  Did you push the bike over the lock at Hambleden? probably fine at that time of the morning, but can get busy there.

A quick blast on my proper road bike tonight with a half-arsed attempt at at an hour TT. Reasonably happy with 18.5 M as it was a hillyish route, bit of a breeze in places (well, more like just weirdly dense air!) and my legs weren't the freshest.