Tuesday 26th May 2020 - You're a good soldier Choosing your battles

emzapemzap ✭✭✭
Morning

Lyrics: You're a good soldier
Choosing your battles

What: 4km fartlek with 10 squats at every rubbish bin
Why: running club "russian roulette" challenge, pick a target you will encounter on your run and do 10 jumps every time you see one. I've chosen to do squats in instead
Last hard: I suspect this, though my sewing machine breaking on my last seam of the dungarees was tough as I still haven't worked out how to fix it!

Have a lovely day all

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no. Was just going to start the lyrics when I noticed yours, Emz!
    Enjoy today's challenge!

What: a run, to be decided by the legs

Why: running to feel

Elder son is 33 today. Where did those years ago? Will see him for the first time since mid March, at a distance of course, even though he lives locally. His wife is in the vulnerable group so they have basically hidden themselves away, as have many people. His first drive since March.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hiya, 
    Sounds like an interesting challenge Emz, good luck
    Ale - decent mileage (kilometerage?) week last week
    Wabo - More good running from you!
    LmH - How are the knees?

Awol much of the weekend. After falling over on Friday it was actually worse yesterday (pain wise) so went to A&E for an xray at the prompting of wife & kids. They couldn't see anything wrong but "have probably cracked a rib or two" (wouldn't that show on an x-ray?) but tbh they were more concerned about lung / liver damage - there was none that they could see. 
    They gave me some painkillers and breathing exercises. Guessing that's me out of running for at least a week or two but hoping to get some walking done although I didn't fancy it yesterday. 
    So I'll pop in every day whilst sitting here moping....

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Oh no Dustin, that's rubbish.  Hopefully you've got a good supply of cake to mope with?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Oh dear Dustin! If I am correct it can take a week or so for fractures to show on an x-ray. I think it is only when healing starts that the fracture shows. Take it easy! But walk if you can. Having cracked ribs a couple of times it is painful! Don't cough, sneeze...or laugh!

LMH: since my post 15 minutes ago I have had the Biobank email and have said that I will help, should they want me. Yesterday also had an email from my GP about another coronavirus trial which I have also said yes to.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Don't Stop Moving by S Club 7.

Alehouse is correct Dustin, small fractures can take a while to show on an x-ray and there is nothing else they would do if you had visible fractures - just like last time, you seem to be making a habit of rib injuries! Hope you feel better soon. My knees feel ok to run again today thanks.

emzap - that sounds as though it could be a tough session.

I wonder if that means they are having difficulty recruiting Alehouse? I haven't heard anything further. Enjoy seeing your son.

It has brightened and warmed up beautifully whilst we were out with Sammy and I need to get myself changed and out for my run so that I can be back to start work. Our anniversary today but it's going the way of all other 'celebrations' so far this year. First world problems.

What:           easy miles
    Why:            it's good for my head
    Last hard:    staying positive can be hard
    Last rest:     23/5

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Morning

Love the challenge emzap. Are there so many normal bins around? I would have to do dog poo bin fartlek here. Commiserations regarding the sewing machine - scary things.. 

Will be lovely for you to see your son again Ale. Enjoy.

Oh not again Dustin.  Hope you can get out for a walk at least soon.

Enjoy that run LMH. 

What: group run this evening
    Why: Tuesday
    Last hard: reports of illegal football matches with 1000+ plus spectators and at the same time plans to open up stadiums for spectators soon.  So reward them or what?
    Last rest: 30.03. Streak is still alive, thx Ale

Lyrics: no
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hazel, the fartlek isn't to do with the bins, just the squats. I added the fartlek myself as that was going to be today's session before I heard about the running club challenge. Don't like to make life easy for myself!

That's terrible about the football matches. What size groups are you allowed to run in now?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

No squats here today! Top of my hamstring feels tender so will only do upper body work if I stretch later.

What: just over 12k d&d, largely off road

Why: keeping up with the Joneses Emzes

Strange run really. Legs were not playing ball for the first 3k, considered cutting the long run short, and then I bumped into M75 coming the other way. We had a short chat and then I got going...and ran pretty well. Ran in shorts but still in long sleeved top and gloves. Dustin has made me even more aware of falling so need a bit of protection!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all

emzap what a good workout you will have today!
    hazel I miss footy but no way would I want to go. enjoy the group run
    dustin, oh dear poor you, that is so unfortunate! Rest up
    LMH glad your knees said yes, enjoy!
    Alehouse, you get runs like that sometimes eh.  It is a funny old game this running

I met a mate at 7.30 to walk in a very pretty area - miss the crowds as it is early scenario (nope). But fun.
    Then I went straight to my son as he wanted to do something so he chose walk, he isn't familiar with the whole social distancing as he has been in mostly. He soon got the idea after I told him off!!
    What: 3 miles walk with mate, 3 with Sam.  Run later now
    why: I am a bit pooped
    last hard: all of that
    last rest: 31/12/16
    Have a good day all, I am sensing a treadmill run I have had enough of outside now..
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning,
    Wabo: That is a lot for you did you run with son? you sound tired.

Dustin: I hope you heal well I remember falling on soft ground my ribs were sore for about 3 weeks!

Hazel: Enjoy your group run later.But awful about the football!

LMH: Happy Anniversary how many years?Glad knee is behaving.

What 7.35 miles
    Why: Because
    Last hard: having a bug yesterday.
    Last rest: 25/5
    Lyrics: Nope

Nice run this morning less elevation normal is around 450-500 today under 300;-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Misread the challenge I guess emzap sorry. Permitted group size is 5 at the moment.

Seems M75 gave you some inspiration for the rest of your run Ale.

Nice multi-walk/run day Wabo, take it easy on the TM.

Still a decent amount of elevation WP. Good you have recovered from the bug for a run.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    That's nice to have company hazel.  I also probably didn't explain properly! Wasn't really awake!

It's the time of year for anniversaries lmh, chick's, yours and ours within 10 days!  Are you doing something to make the day a little different? 

Just been for my walk, it's humid out there, not looking forward to run!
  • It often takes me a few miles to get going Alehouse.

Thanks Poppy. Fifteen years today (we were late starters). Glad you enjoyed the run.

We are both working emzap.

Enjoy the run with company Hazel.

How can he have missed it Wabo? Where's he been for the last nine weeks or so?!? Sounds as though a lot of people had the same idea as you this morning, it's mostly dog walkers round here at that sort of time.

Lovely weather for a run again this morning and not too many people out.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Happy anniversary,  LMH :)

Have just skim-read the past couple of days.

Glad OHs op went well. That looked like a pretty packed plane ...

And ouch, Dustin. Glad there's no damage to any organs 🤞

We enjoyed our break very much,  thanks for asking. I was dreading the op so my head wasn't in the right place for posting.

All done now. Been back in my hospital room since noon and I'm already bored :D

Just resting flat on my back with my foot raised on a pillow. The foot is numb for 24 hours and it doesn't feel like it's part of my body ;) can't even wiggle my toes which is so strange ...

Have to stay here until Thursday morning.

Shame I can't have visitors but due to Corona only patients and staff are allowed in the building. Sort of understandable.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Afternoon! 

Take care Chick! Hope everything goes to plan. Presumably a physio will be giving you lots of do's and don'ts! And keep posting!

Edit: cold here today. Thinking of putting the heating back on! Was sunny for my run but grey ever since. 
  • Good to hear from you chicksta. I'm glad you had a nice break. The time will go far more quickly than you think and you'll be back running before you know it.

Really Alehouse? Another lovely day here - I sat in the garden in my bikini top once I'd finished work!

Hope OH is recovering well.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, cold LMH. I had a coat on in the garden! Having said that the sun is now trying to come out.

And also wondering how Chamolk is doing.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hot here too.

4 km fartlek and 10 squats at every bin (there were 8 - good job I wasn't doing poo bins as well 😂). Then decided to match squats with lunges when I got home, just because (I'm mad?). So 4km fartlek, 80 squats and 80 lunges. Be surprised if I can walk tomorrow!

Glad you had a nice break chick.

Party of 30-40 teenagers on our estate on the way back from my run...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    My son has been mainly staying indoors to protect Giselle. They've now decided that they will pop out so it's the first time he's been out walking on main streets with other people around. We've mainly walked round a field so tbh he just hasn't encountered what it's like out.
    I ended up running 2 miles outdoors
    Early night now 
    Happy anniversary lmh
    Emzap I'll await tomorrow and your leg update!! Amazing
    Chick wow, speedy healing wishes for you

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can