Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm intrigued what signals I'm giving off to get so many singles dating site ads- my wife is not amused 🙄
    Tosca top dog MsE 😇, another great total, you are smashing it 👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I don't get data sites! for months ive had this calming blanket thing coming up. I'll probably buy that next.

The lack of races is making my return to  running much more measured as i really can increase in small steps. I am also amazed at how little you have to do to get fitter. 

2 weeks ago today  4 x 3 mins with hr hitting pretty much threshold level at end of last 3 minutes and average of 149.  Today 4 x 1m average 145 and peak at 160. 

Quite a big step up today and I've got a bit of soreness from it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - good progress, do you need the breaks to stop any discomfort ? Id have thought running non stop for say 15mins would have been easier as you keep moving once you've got going ?

Have i missed something as I thought Berlin was cancelled?

VLM more or less announced their cancellation date, and i had a similar update end of June from Brighton, there must be some sort of sports meeting in June. Im hoping smaller races go ahead, i have a North Dorset place, and have IoW near me too.

Agreed, on it being a shame Abingdon cancelled so early. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes I'm glad they are all going relatively early on this. 

it's not because i physically need it, though i might find out i do when i hit a point. i believe it just allows things to relax back down and judge how im feeling. Often whilst running we dont quite  feel things until we stop so the stop and restart process allows that to become obvious. Also it allows the rest of my body to build up fitness and strength without the full impact. I dont think i vould sensibly just go out and run 4 miles straight right now but doing it this allows me to do that. 

I believe SBD hopes that Berlin may run a Gfa and elite race on the date of later in the Autumn. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - seems to be working anyway. Understood re Berlin, not sure i can see gfa being allowed in an elite race, but who knows. The 2 week re isolation makes it hard too.

Ill wait until July before i get too interested in marathon training (although im never far away from it), either of the 2 smaller marathons ive looked at would be undulating or hilly, so a quick time would be out the window.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    I don't get data sites! for months ive had this calming blanket thing coming up. I'll probably buy that next.

Assuming you have a partner, I think it's probably for the best you don't get dating sites. 😂
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I get the calming blanket ad, too!

15 to bring up 48 for the week off 5 runs, plus my now customary 2 short cycle rides and 2 strength sessions.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Do you think you'll get one, Jools? 

I also bought a shakti mat following some heavy advertising, though i bought  a £15 version off Amazon. That's actually been quite a decent purchase.  And the lower leg compression device. 

I'm walking proof that targetted fb advertising works a treat! 

so this week, 13m run, 2 pretty tough turbo sessions and two strength smd conditioning classes. Just need to run more! 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    No.

I also had a phase of ads for private IVF when I'm childless through choice, so the targeting is pretty poor!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    MSE good week again for you , and its hard to overlook the knee pain its been a running constant the last 9 years (and before that ) Any increase in weekly effort usually flares it up then it settles down a bit again . My Quad is weak but can't squat as its too painful so basically I go fast once a week and have more walk days when its too bad to run as needed, Its the best I can come up with ...
    DT 19 6-10 mile is ideal tempo and I have often though 6@hmp one week then 10m @ mara the next would be best of both worlds and give a good range in paces . Enjoy the retail therapy and running comeback.
    Jools very decent xtraining week .
    SBD another big week  and only 2 races left now in Sept, one might happen as its small the other 1/2 is unlikely Id think.Not particularly bothered anymore tbh used to them being cancelled now.
    I haven't had any targeted ads for a new knee and tbh feel a bit cheated lol !!!!!!!!!!

6 easy yesterday and a walk with my daughter after work tonight , crackin' day for it.Met a running buddy out and he is injured now and was telling me of another club runner I know in our group and guess what he is too ! Injury is just like a virus ...and talking of virus my neighbour opposite tested covid pos this week ..too close to home !
    30m for the week.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    You don't know what you're missing Jools - mine clean my running shoes and wash my kit after each run ...

Good progress on the weekly training DT.

The coronavirus lockdown rules in Germany don't allow mass gatherings of more than 5,000 until October 24.  The organisers have only said the event can't take place as planned.  There's no reason they can't hold an elite-only or some other permutation of runners up to 5,000.  That said, I can't see many countries wanting to be inundated by large numbers of foreign runners.  I shall, however, be holding on to Berlin Hotel booking a little longer!

How's the watch TR - are you using a chest HR monitor?

A good long run and weekly mileage MsE

A steady 16 miles early evening.  The plan was for just a steady 8.00 m/m pace but the legs felt a bit lively after the first 5K, so the pace came out at 7:42.  A bit harder effort than I was planning, so presently recovering with a beer in hand.  Another 70 mile week safely negotiated.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Leslie - listening to your body and managing it are great skills.

SBD - understood re Berlin, but i cant see them proceeding as there'd be too many foreign runners.....the watch is outrageous, it tells me im sleeping like a log 11 or 12 hrs a night (im more 6 hrs in reality) yet i only wear it to run (pretty poor software, does it kbow the difference betwee asleep and dead?), its wrist based (supposed to be accurate model, but maybe my wist needs a shave), and it was telling me i was doing 8mm when i was defo running mp or quicker on some tree lined sections yday, and 12mm today on similar when it was more 8mm. Im sure I'll adapt, i started out as a teen with a piece of string on a street map.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Blimey, good activity on here.
    Ticking over on 70 mpw is insane, SBD. Nice one.

Yes, DT, scales are on athlete mode. I don’t know what difference it makes. According to the app, 13% body fat is athlete level, so I’m OK with 15% right now. It will be interesting to monitor these stats when I’m in campaign.

38 miles last week. Biggest since Feb. Did a a 6 on Friday, a 14 trail run Saturday and 4 mile recovery yesterday which had a 6.43 final split as I felt good and stretched out a bit.

Finally getting some flow in my running. The small increase in weekly distance seem to be working work and applying weekly themes such as speed work or hills.

The Pes Anserinus area below the knee feels weak when I do too match fast paced work but by doing some and not taking liberties should help it get stronger.

Rest day today, mainly because I’ve done 3 days in a row but I really fancy getting out to take advantage of the bank holiday time. I won’t.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Rest day today which is just as well as it is scorchio 😎🌞. The mutts were absolutely melting on their morning walk, even in the shade of the woods.

This was interesting to read and suggests we are hard-wired to be lazy, presumably because in cave days our predecessors were never quite sure when our next meal would be. The habit is the thing to instil which, as runners, we know to be the case and which behavioural psychology coaching endorses. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/article-lessening-of-cognitive-function-found-to-precede-physical-decline/

Well done on your steady progression, DT. And you too SBD. You are a machine. Leslie - not only do you manage your niggly knee but you juggle shiftwork which makes sleep challenging. Copy what TR says about you.  Can you get into a gym to use a leg extension machine?

Great to hear you are ticking over nicely in Bristol Jools. I read that Weston Super Mare General Hospital closed their A&E department today to cope with the rising case load.  Take care.

GD - I hope you are listening to your advice and resting today. You inspired me to hop on my scales which reported everything in the green zone apart from body fat where I am in the blue zone and, apparently, under-fat (if such a thing exists) at 15%.  Will see how accurate this is over time as those bioimpedence measures are renowned for their inaccuracies.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone. Been totally AWOL for a while and not read any posts but will try and catch up soon.

Decided to live in a dream world and believe Boston will happen in September so starting a new 16 week programme today and try to shift the terrible amount of weight I have gained and get my March fitness back. 5 easy miles with a club segment challenge in the middle in which I went the wrong way....

A good start. :-1:
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Great to see there's life in the old thread yet. Just been catching up!
    DT - impressive how you're steadily improving off minimal training.
    MsE - great to hear how well you're doing.
    OO - hopefully you'll get a fine day to climb Skiddaw this week, if you're still in the Lakes.
    Jools - settling into a nice new routine.
    Leslie - you deserve to stay injury-free after such a long period of injury woes.
    SBD - excellent stuff. You are on an amazing run of consistent high mileage.
    TR - do you have the same watch as me?!!
    GD - solid, steady progress.
    Nicko - LOL! Great to hear from you.
    0 miles last week. Still clearing the garage/utility room... 4 slow miles yesterday and 4 steady today. Nice to be out again. Must be on the same wavelength as some of you as I am planning on cutting back on mileage for a bit.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Easy hour in the heat this morning. I left the mutts behind as it is too hot for runs with them unless we are hiding in the woods. Legs are flowing much better now and I feel my old form returning. The chassis is much stronger this time though and I will hope to avoid the mistakes of the past. I came home to a protein bar and yummy soya latte.

Good to hear nicko is back at it.

A cutback is always a good idea Gul. At our age much to be gained from it and nothing to be lost.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SBD hope you enjoyed the beers with 70 a week you are earning them and enjoy your kids doing chores as it won't last !
    Tr agreed re listening to body but tricky in practice. Your watch doesn't sound the best and would annoy me no end I hope its just a glitch ..
    Gdawg athlete mode on scales now impressive and low body fat as well ,15% is lean for sure and take it easy on the knee. My bellyometer assumes me I am 15% plus vat and then some lol I can pinch much more than an inch .....
    MSE thanks training on shifts is definitely a mental battle at times so easy to just surf the sofa.  Leg extension/curl  is a big no , my right leg will barely lift it with no weight on without pain when I tried it before and it creates instant pressure on/under the kneecap. I was able to row though but stopped as it made my hammy injury worse (now much better) . I dunno when work gym will reopen but I think it won't be for months. So glad you are coming back strong after many setbacks and just in time for summer too.
    Nicko a starts a start enjoy living the dream and the ballast should soon thin out .
    GUL hope you enjoyed the rest and I'm sure you will hatch a new plan before long.

No covid deaths here today for first time since it started but I suspect the bank holiday has stopped the reporting as happens most weekends and we will get the delayed numbers tomorrow. Only 9 covid patients here now in NI though in ICU so gong the right way .
    Walked again last night after work as planned a long run today and with little recovery it just would not be possible. 15c and cloudy but warmed a bit later and hardly a cloud in the sky so went to my old favourite route down by the river which for 4 miles is pan flat wide tarmac path into a forest then some big hills , out and back so no cutting it short and managed to rattle out 15m in the end but after 10m it was just a matter of hanging on and grinding it out . Plenty out today walking there also.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - you are sounding strong. I am thinking that I look to do less road miles and more cross training now I am turning into an old git. Hopefully I can still churn out 2 or 3 more high mileage marathon campaigns, but I fear my body isn't going to put up with it for much longer, so better to cut back and keep running for more years rather than blow up spectacularly one day!
    Leslie - nothing like running a favourite route. Hope to get out more in the countryside in June.
    5 very slow miles this morning.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Very good news for you on the covid numbers, Leslie. We are back up to 412 today here in England. Shocking indictment of the way our gov has handled it when we had so much notice of it coming.  That route you described sounds divine. The fact you can't do any work on that affected leg makes the fact you can run even more astounding!

Good to hear you are moving and have A Plan, Gul. Living in California taught me that the only thing that you have to consider with age is how to adapt training but you can get fitter and faster. Offsetting the loss of muscle mass is crucial esp as we naturally lose it once we hit 40. I was reading a book on dying (it was more cheerful than it sounds!) and the author (who is a geriatrician) noted that the biggest indicator of whether an elderly patient will recover from a fall is their ability to bounce back from this. And this is dependent on how much strength they have.  

Easy 6 treadmill miles today as it was too hot by the time I was ready to run. I may use this week as a down-week and run a little less each outing. 

Keep well everybody!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    MSE - and another oldies like me, go listen to the recent Science of Sport podcast on aging as an athlete.

Gul - if your watch tells you that you are sleeping 10hrs plus a night then yes it sounds like mine. Im only wearing it run. Guess i need to turn a lot of things off, but it makes me laugh, with a lot of the useless data it reports back.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    listened to that last night, TR - thanks for the nod . .   (and pleased don't refer to yourself as "an oldie" - where does that leave me?   :#
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Understood, but im old enough for the podcast to be relevant.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Nicko and good luck with the weight.loss challenge.
    TR so you are saying MsE is old 🤣
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    MSE was rhe first to mention age, she is younger than me but no doubt wishes she was younger still (as do most ladies).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've had to go easy for a couple of days as the hip is playing up still. I've also added 2 kgs since the lockdown started. Surprisingly I'm taking it all rather well.
    Some of us are proper old TR 😉
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You and me both !
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - I don't think I had much muscle mass to lose in the first place :) Enjoy the cut-back week. 
    TR - no, actually sounds like your watch is far more advanced than mine.
    OO - pesky hip. Must be down to that extra 2kg.
    Not old here, just older than I was. Lovely day for a 6 mile steady run.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Ha ha! Come back on to find everyone having a ding dong over who is older! 😂 

Thanks for the recommendation on the podcast TR.  Will have a listen.

Up at 5:30 to get out for an easy 8 miles before the sun made it too darn hot to run and so I could be back in time for a webinar, only to find the webinar is next week. 😳

Hope the hip settles down OO. 🤞

Sounds like you are already getting back into it Gul with your early 6 miler.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good work on the early start MsE. I just boiled on a 5 mile tempo!

The last 2 days I was out of the door early for a 7.5 miler on the trails before work on Tuesday and again yesterday but this time turned it into a morning hill reps session, building on the effort of 10 reps last week to 12 this.

Felt good, so came home the longer route around the local airport but after a mile my path got blocked due to a crashed light aircraft, the Police had closed the trail path and i had to take a detour.
    Happy to report the pilot walked away, no hospital visit required. My run ended up at 7.5 miles again.

Deliberately delayed going today so that my body could wake up for a quicker effort despite the heat. Kept it short and went at tempo pace.

Annoyingly a headwind and social distance kerb hopping meant my first split was bang on 7.00. The next 4 were 6.37, 6.51, 6.47, 6.30.
    Despite the heat, an enjoyable blast. No weakness in the injury recovery area, it's definitely getting stronger,

Right, where's that podcast for us old 'uns?