Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    MSE no matter how much time they had I don't think anybody really expected it would be as bad as it was here after sars etc which never really got a hold. I think an issue is the Uk makes very little now so when you rely on imports and suddenly everybody wants them for tests/ppe etc you have a problem. This isn't going to go away by the look of it so hopefully wave 2 and beyond will be better handled. Governments are usually slow to react but agreed they could have done better/acted sooner ! Our saving grace is we are much lower population density here and much less reliance on public transport and our death rate locally has been only 1/3 of Belfast which is only 80 mile away . Impressive early start but sure you are glad the webinar isn't on after all...
    Birch you win the golden oldie debate hands down and are the mega mileage king too !
    0054 if you can't run they its hard to keep the ballast in check, glad you are taking it in your stride .
    GUL maybe time to bring out the weights then ?

My Daughter wanted out on here bike ( due to a fear of her falling and needing say to go to hospital full of covid patients for a cut and her having a shielding letter  I said no during lockdown till now)  so we dusted them down yesterday pumped the tyres and went out for a cycle ,she insisted on wearing a fleece but it was too hot for that and she suffered on the way back and had to walk the last uphill mile and got very grumpy lol . I can actually cycle at an easy effort ok which is good so may cycle a bit more in future ,not cycled for a year or so  (it was mostly flat ) a short 4 mile run now long after was tough though .
          Tempo today as I'm on nights next 3 and it was 25c the hottest day of year so far , gravy was running of me but got my 4 fast miles in 6:56, 6:48, 6:50, 6:58 with 6.5 mile in total.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going Leslie that's decent pace. I walked 12 miles with my wife this morning. Got to do something to keep the weight in check.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Boston gone, slimming hopes for London.  
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Oh no! Sorry, Nicko:( 

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I didn't really hold out much hope TBH. Glad I didn't rebook my flight though.

I'll run the virtual Boston on 14th Sept locally with clubmates I think and hope that I'll still qualify for 2021. If not, my spring half mara times will get me into NYC or Chicago so at least have a hope to continue the majors.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks like socially distanced group runs are on from next week. Me and my club pals are talking about trialling this...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    The chance of a Tokyo ballot spot was unlikely during this August’s application period anyway but I’ve decided to skip going for a ballot spot or going with a tour company for next March.

Delaying a year will let things settle down and also give me more money saving time. A tad frustrating as it’s the last of the 6 majors I need and the most difficult to get into.

Rest day today...
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - well done getting out early. It's just perfect around that time at the moment.
    GD - good hill work. Might try a few slope reps myself next week. Good tempo run. I'm sure you will get to do Tokyo, hopefully the following year, but it will be even more satisfying when it finally arrives.
    Leslie - my bike is still in the garage. Will be able to squeeze it together with the others in the sheds when the garage goes, but need to get a bike shed long term. Nice tempo run.
    OO - nice walk if a bit hot I bet.
    Nicko - hope one of the other US majors still goes ahead.
    Easy run today. 4 miles.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say, I can't believe how much of a hoarder I am. Clearing a box of audio tapes yesterday and found a recording of the radio commentary of the 1978 Euro Champions final between Liverpool and Bruges!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr said:
    Forgot to say, I can't believe how much of a hoarder I am. Clearing a box of audio tapes yesterday and found a recording of the radio commentary of the 1978 Euro Champions final between Liverpool and Bruges!
    Any sort of market for that on eBay? I was 5 years old then!

Easy running for me this week so today I went for a watch free run with the dogs and walked steep sections of trail while running down other parts. It felt oddly liberating. Covered a further 5K or so with a client at lunchtime. Legs feel much better for all that shenanigans even though I have covered at least 9 or 10 miles today.

Sorry to hear about the cancellations although i think we can assume a theme for the rest of the year. 

Decent paced tempo miles Leslie. AND on the back of a bike ride with Jr!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hang on, all this old person talk, i assumed MsE was mid 50s or something. She's only 3 years older than me!! 40s are still young aren't they?

Gul, that's quite a find! i have loads of tapes in the attic which my wife wants to bin  but im not having it despite not owning a tape player.

Had my mri Tuesday and got a zoom csll with consultant tomorrow morning to go through it. 

Running wise, yesterday was 4 x 10 mins for my longest run and today was 20 min continuous for my longest continuous and my first back to backs.

Therefore hoping consultant tells me MRI showed enough to explain the issues I've had but nothing significant.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Recent highlight of my last week running - trying to segment battle the famous John "Berkely Marathons" Kelly. I'm 2nd for the time being but give me time and I'll get it back.

6:30 start this morning to get a 35mile round trip on the bike done with a quick swim in the sea pool before my first call of the morning

Made it back.with 2mins to spare!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Keeping fingers crossed the consultation tomorrow morning about your MRI is positive news, DT. 🤞
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed DT. 
    I'm a hoarder Gul, but only things I really really need 😄
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    (& good luck DT)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - nice mix of running. I will never make a fortune; I just got rid of the tape.
    DT - really hoping it's good news for you today.
    Nicko - sounds like quite a battle and something to aim for. Cutting it fine with the bike and swim!
    OO - Yes, I really needed that tape too :)
    6 steady miles with 8x100m strides today. Enjoy the weekend everyone. Back to work for me on Monday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    So whilst there's some minor disc bulge in l4 and 5 he thinks it's been there years and has only started playing up due to the problem, being a stress fracture yo the sacrum.

He is of the view that, that is at the far end of the healing process which is why I'm now able to run. The key is not to overload my progression and to build up slowly. He said the biggest challenge is the slr and that time on feet. Says im better off running shorter and faster for a while as cadence higher and less impact on each step. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    How about softer surfaces off road DT? I'm doing a lot on the beach for the same reason. Sounds positive anyways.
    A steady 8 for me today sets me up for a mid 40s week, which will be my highest during May. My weight has settled at 12 stone, around 2kg above race weight. I'm not going to bother fighting to get it lower until swimming and road races come back- it's just not worth the effort.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, no beaches around here and the trails are rock hard no so no other option. 

I've  aldo been advised to take a high strength vit d supplement going forward. Just been and bought some to get started on that. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sounds encouraging news, DT. Do you know why you got the stress fracture? Alarm bells ring whenever I hear of those, probably because I read a lot on relative energy deficiency in sport.

Easy pootle with the mutts before it got too hot. Around 6.5 miles.  Will cap it at 9 or 10 tomorrow to keep this week's mileage around the same as OO's.

Just received news of an old school friend's passing. She lived in NY and I kept in touch via FB. She leaves behind a 9 year old daughter.  Not sure what the cause was so my mind is racing. Hold your loved ones close and cherish every day friends.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sad news MsE. I recently linked up with some old school friends on fb- class of 74. Out of 65 in our year (now aged 57) I was shocked to hear that 4 were known to have passed away already. As you say, take nothing for granted 🤞🙏
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - pleased the MRI has led to a clear diagnosis and it sounds fairly positive.
    OO - good weekly mileage.
    MsE - sorry to hear about your friend.
    9 easy miles this morning. Nice to get out into the countryside even though I didn't go very far. 38 in total for the week and 177 for May to continue my downward trend (300, 282, 259 and 177) although I did have a week off prior to this one.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going Gul.
     I survived 13 this morning. Now Strava has gone basic I can't tell you my exact mileage this month but it's around 160- my lowest this year.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    15 today brought up 219 for me.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good long runs from Jools and OO.

A nice return to running after the Ultra GD - you have a good excuse for the May total!

Hope you managed to get out for the 9/10 miler MsE. 

Good news on the diagnosis DT - what do you reckon caused the stress fracture?

Bad news on Boston nicko but at least you've been put out of your misery.  Looks like we've a few more weeks to wait before a London announcement.  I'm still hopeful on Berlin but have put myself on the reserve list for Valencia as a back up!

16 miles early evening.  A bit hot but at least there was some wind to cool things down a little.  Gives me 70 for the week and 317 for May.  Seem to have put a few Kilos on despite the mileage!

I'm hoping the running tracks will open up in June and I can start adding in some tempo sessions.

The 18-week London plan starts tomorrow but I think I will just carry on with the base training! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's sad to hear, mse. I was only thinking the other day that my last funeral was 2006 and was my housemate from uni. It's slways a bit of an eye opener when someone from our direct age group passes. 

Still a decent tally, Gul. 

As usual, a great tally, SBD. 

7 x 5 mins tonight at easy. Now i know the problem, im reducing the running back down just for a few weeks to really smash  the strength and mobility to my hip, pelvis, glutes and low back. I feel safe in saying this year is gone and im future proofing next year and beyond. 

SBD no idea specifically, just the continued imbalace of left to right. I'll also say, i had a jump in fitness december ish and i suddenly found myself running everything sub 8mm as the cv effort level was right. Ever since that started to happen i began getting aches. Id always been more than happy running 80%at 8mm and slower then suddenly it was all 7.45s. i question if that 20-30s per mile uptick tipped me over. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - well done notching up the 13 miler. Never used Strava but that does sound less than basic if it can't tell you your mileage!
    Jools -  good miles for May.
    SBD - you are a machine and already building on a rock solid base.
    DT - yes, you could be right about the increase in pace, but impossible to tell now I guess. Wise move with cutting back a bit. Nothing to gain but everything to lose at the moment.
    8 miles with 12 x 400m / 200m tempo intervals this morning. Nice to do something other than steady, easy or slow miles for a change.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sad news indeed, MsE, sorry to hear that.

Good result on the MRI scan, DT. Knowing what it is can really focus the rehab, looks like you're all over it already.

Nice return to the quick stuff, Gul. I'm gradually getting into the speed mixer too.

Got a warm 16 miler done on Saturday. Beautiful morning on the trails. Felt the strongest I have for some time on an LSR. Just a shame that the weakness at the side of my knee just creeps in a tad just to let me know it's there.

4 mile recovery yesterday gave me 159 for the month, my biggest May ever! I guess I always go into a recovery/lazy mode after the April marathon, so it was a nice change to be able to get some extra miles in. My base training has come on a treat.

Rest day today. I really must get some more core and strength work done, just can't be bothered.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    All looking positive GDawg 👍
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good long run on the trails and nice tally for the month too; steady progress continues!
    5 mile recovery run this morning.