Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding virtual events, our Haytor Heller and Totnes 10k events have been cancelled.  We (committee) had some discussion about turning Totnes 10k into a "virtual" race, which funnily enough was championed by Chair initially.  It was decided against for a variety of reasons but unfortunately the dated medals have been purchased so they'll go to waste I think, which is a shame.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I didn't look around for any more info on the 24 hour event, I'm just assuming at that price it's with a big chunk to charity.   If not it's just a tacky medal for £24.   And of course it's not even a real event so counts for nothing in running terms.

Maybe the Strava offer is perhaps as you've been using them for a longer time.

Re the MAF training.   With Hadd tight calf muscles are expected for the first month or so and then eases.   But I don't agree with doing strides in the middle, I would suggest that what you might need to start doing is a little strength work on your legs and a stretching and mobility routine every day.   But I think the aches are just the high mileage week, you've been doing the HR training for some time now, way longer than any initial adaption aches and pains would be expected to occur.   A wider selection of shoes might help too?

I haven't done the NF marathon since it moved to Brockenhurst as it's now 50% off road, but they always organised a great race.   Yes, expensive in that area, maybe stay somewhere like Devises and drive the rest on the day.   I can't see it going ahead in favour of any other race though, they have a half too and quite a lot of total entries and just about every road race is 'out in the open'.

I think when we race again might depend a lot on the new Test and Trace system, if people follow the rules it could really work in reducing the number of cases, we'll see.

Glad you had a good run today and feel back on form.   I think you just exhausted yourself by doing extra doubles when you didn't need to for 0.7 of a mile :/
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - I'd stick with Strava for the social, even if you primarily use something else. I only joined Strava recently as you know since I've been mainly using Garmin Connect, but I've enjoyed seeing what my club mates are up to and have already found some good new routes from looking at their runs. Anyway...

The cost of the Phoenix events is, I'm pretty sure, down to the very large and bespoke medals (not to mention the cost of posting them). The one I got from the Covid-19 Remembrance Run is the biggest medal I own. To be honest I didn't even consider that it was expensive, but then I'm a Londoner - I paid £20 for the last 10K I did (and that was with the club discount).

Anyway, I'm not sure. I rather wish it started at midnight so you'd then do your last one at 11pm and be able to go to bed after...whereas the last run would be 7am which means you'd sleep in the day (probably not very well) and end up with jet lag. But as I say, I haven't quite made up my mind - it is something different. A lot of people signed up for it quite quickly - I really don't think many of them realise what they've let themselves in for. A mile every hour sounds easy enough, until you factor in the lack of sleep, the lack of being able to sit down for a proper meal and so on.

Felt a bit crappy this morning - hot and restless night again, so some of it's fatigue from yesterday and some is dehydration. So just did a 5 mile recovery run (got the calf sleeves out for it too). Achilles wasn't too bad but I could feel it a bit. Had a foam roll after and the right calf is very tight.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, funnily you should say that about strength training.  OH has got me doing 15-20-mins of strength training, three times a week.  Well, I say "got me doing".  I've done it twice, so not actually one week yet :)  Even so, I'm not sure if it's for me!  I'm doing it with really low weights on the arm exercises as I'm still very worried about my shoulder so it's not had any impact at the moment as I'm not really feeling it.  Probably I need to up the weights slightly....if I continue with it, that is!

Cal, good point about the timing of the event.  I hadn't thought of that.  A couple of my club mates, and also others I know who wouldn't usually do virtual events, are doing it I think.  I'm not sure at the moment.  I did try and get a group of my non-running mates involved, but they all said "no chance!".  OH can't do it as she's at work on the Sunday so that would be no good for her at all.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I've just added you on Strava :) 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cal - £24 for a medal including postage is a rip off and nothing to do with London prices, same whatever part of the country.

To give you an idea, Taunton marathon is a road marathon, bronze event, shirt, medal, road closures where needed, police on part of the route £25.  Isle of Man, road marathon, facility to send your own drinks to stations, medal, shirt, goody bag, free buffet £30.  Isle of Wight marathon £21.  All 3 eligible for GFA times.

The difference is not the locality it's that the marathons I've mentioned are organised by running clubs not commercial companies or individuals trying to line their own pockets.

Big G - I don't take to the strength training either at home, but I love it in the gym.   However, stick with the light weights for now because of your shoulders, then maybe vary the exercises so you start to feel a little before moving up in weight.    

Squats, deadlifts and lunges for lower body, just a few a day for now.

I think OH has had a lucky escape having to work on the longest day ;)

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - It's strange running so slowly (9:50 min/miles on average), but otherwise OK.
    Ian - I take protein after my runs, mainly to hydrate again, as I mix with 400ml of water, but it's good to get some quick calories in. Nice double run.
    12 miles today, which was to be my first ILTHR, so first 6 miles at 125 HR or lower then next 6 miles at 135-140 HR. Managed 8:15/8:01/8:01/8:03/7:59/7:52 for HR 136/138/141/139/140/139.
    Shades - I think that's the right way to run those?? Will push to 8 miles next week I think, as that seemed to go OK.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Those are bargains, Shades! There are some cheap events (mostly club ones, but also the Sri Chinoy runs) but in most cases you don't get medals or anything. I admit I am a bit shallow and like my bling. ;)
    Big G, added you too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Correction to my previous post, Taunton is not organised by a running club but by the Carnival committee to raise funds.

Steve - that's a very good ILTHR today.   Have you been doing 10 miles at your base training HR with no cardiac drift?  Of course you've stepped into Hadd at an already high level of aerobic fitness.  I can't wait to see how you progress.   Any thoughts on a Hadd test?

Cal - I think with some of the newer events, some runners don't realise they're being overcharged.  Medals are not that expensive to buy and IMHO a virtual event is meaningless as there was no race, so just bought a medal.

Big G - I've just seen that North Dorset is deferred to next year, I expect we'll get an email.   Automatic deferment to 2nd May 2021 unless refund requested.   Not unexpected news.   Now the organiser works closely with EA so that's not good news for hope of races later this year, but it could be to do with the race venue as the school may not want their premises used.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, in most cases I agree about the virtual events. The two I've done were essentially training runs I'd have done anyway, but commemorate the current situation (Covid-19 Remembrance Run and Key Workers run) so it was more a case of having some souvenirs of this year, given it's a unique situation, and giving a little to charity. My mate who works on the Underground loved his key workers pins, anyway - he really appreciated those.
    The Longest Day event, though, it something a bit different and definitely not meaningless as it would be pretty gruelling.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The Longest Day would be pretty meaningless, it wouldn't be gruelling just who can stay awake, so tiring but not tiring from running.   If it was how many miles can a runner or walker do in 24 hours, that would be gruelling. 

But would be a good event to raise money for charity and that would motivate the entrant to stay awake too as I think quite a few in the wee small hours will say 'sod it' and go back to sleep.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Confirmation of North Dorset's cancellation..

We are disappointed to announce that after careful consideration the organising committee has decided that the North Dorset Village Marathon and Relay will now be rescheduled to the first weekend in May 2021 (2nd of May 2021).

This decision has been not been taken lightly. We feel that considering the uncertainty of the current situation it may not be possible to offer a safe environment for you the runners, our many marshals and helpers for many months to come.
    Trying to rush the organisation would lead to an event we would not be proud of.

As a competitor in the 2020 event you have now 2 choices:
    1. Carry forward your entry to the rescheduled date of 2nd of May 2021
    2. Have a refund of your entry fee

If you are happy to defer your entry to 2021 then you need take no action - your entry will be transferred across automatically.
    If you would instead like to request a refund, please send me your BACS details and I will instruct our treasurer accordingly.

Please make your selection by the 30th of June 2020.

We apologise for the inconvenience our decision causes and we thank everyone for their continued support

Stay safe, stay well, keep running

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shades - My base miles at 125 or lower, seem to start low then drift up a bit. My run on Tuesday was just over 10 miles and was;
    10:52(112) / 9:41(117) / 9:27(122) / 9:41(126) / 9:52(128) / 9:52(124) / 9:54(123) / 9:50(127) / 9:47(124) / 9:56(124). I don't mind the ones over 125, as my 70-75% range goes upto 129, so figure that is still OK.
    Not really planning to do a HADD test, although I should. I was just planning on monitoring my paces/HR and beats per mile, if I see that improving over time, I'm good with that. I'm hoping to see sub 7 min miles at 145-150 bpm at some point in the future, but that might be a while off yet.
    Have you seen an increase in your pace at base HR level? I'm hoping my 125 runs do get faster than close to 10 min/miles!!
    Also not sure if I should add the 200 fartlek session in at some point?? I'm only running 5 days a week (not 7 per HADD), so also only doing 1 ILTHR instead of 2, so if I do the 200 fartlek I'd have no ILTHR run, unless I keep it and remove an easy run?
  • Options

Shades - I know plenty are over indulging in booze and rubbish and know I'm not the worst even on a day where I drink 6 beers that's an extra 1000 kcals on top of eating poorly.  I'm a big fan of low cost races especially by clubs or small organisations.  I'll only consider paying more for an event I really want to do as a special race.

Cal - how do you find the theragun? do you use/ can you use it on your hips?

Big G - I find using my electrolytes useful after a run, when you're running twice could be worth doubling the dosage.  When Elle was doing Big Marathon Challenge she met with High 5 and said the tablets are good but not to go too mad on them as they can dehydrate as well as replace the electrolytes.

Ian - well done on the double, fingers crossed restrictions are lifted you defo deserve a break!

Managed a couple of short runs and will stick with those as the hip isn't grumbling too much, am going to try breaking the day up with some walking too.

Have joined a centurion virtual event, again seemed excessive but enjoy the posts between community members, there are over 3000 entrants so someone's making a pretty penny (£20 a pop).  choose various distances 5km to 100 miles over the week.  I've choose 50 miles and will be having to walk a fair bit at the weekend. It's marketed as a community event minimum10% to nhs charities and free places for anyone who has been affected by corona and no explanation required.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, it does seem to help. You can use it anywhere you can reach - I can't get my upper back with it, unfortunately, but I have short little arms like a T-Rex. :D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that looks good and I'd say no cardiac drift there.   Naturally the first couple of miles would be lower as you warm up.

The Hadd test is useful as gives a definite feel when the lactate threshold is being pushed up and also a chance to run at Hadd's predicted marathon heart rate.   But it's not essential, unless you want some more stats for comparison.

I'll probably skip my next Hadd test as my paces have slowed since my last test, probably due to me dropping my mileage for a few weeks to 40, my own fault.  So back up to 50 now and will hope to be a steady 60 by end of June.

Yes, my base pace has improved a lot, I find with this type of training it will be fairly constant for a while then a significant  improvement and so on.   I'd stick with what you're doing for now, maybe do the ILTHR run every 4th run so that works out slightly more than once a week.  Hold off the fartlek for now.  I think you'll see your base pace improve soon.

Robert - you've definitely got your training/exercise head back on now.  That virtual event as it's over a week should keep you focused, that's a lot of entrants.

Glad the hip is improving all the time.

Interesting about overdoing the electrolyte tabs.  I only use them on long runs and only half a tab, couldn't drink them post run.  

Just spent 5 minutes reading on FB about an escaped snake last photographed less than 50 metres from my flat.   I've no experience of handling snakes but confident after reading a lot of the posts that it's harmless, it's a corn snake so sort of prepared next time I go out. Then I get to the end of the posts and it's now dead, been run over.   :/
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did see something on a group by someone who appeared to have some insider knowledge that EA are very much hoping that GNR will go ahead.  Can't see it myself, and it wasn't clear where he was getting his info from.  If he replies, I'll post back here.  It's just lots of conjecture really and I suppose it's that regular runners are looking for any glimpse of positive news regarding races, like we all are.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades - I'm going to stick with this for at least 18 weeks (unless I stop seeing progress earlier). That should give me a long time at base HR and some time to work through the ILTHR zones too, which then will hopefully allow me to get close to my predicated marathon time next year!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - of all of the events I would have thought GNR would be the last as the most congested and unless they change the route would need busses to the start and from the finish.

Maybe as with London anyone that enquires is given an optimistic reply.   GNR as London have powerful influence with UKA/EA but that won't help them with Public Health England.

Steve - yes, I really think you could achieve your ultimate marathon goal, you've done some great training already.

Just received my new glasses, first time I've ordered on the internet.   Really pleased with them, won't be buying from Specsavers again.  So much cheaper.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    12hr work day today meant no run.
    Boston has just been cancelled,guess London will be next 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a long working day.

No real surprise about Boston, you'd declined the new date hadn't you?

I suppose the big marathons like London have been hoping for a miracle and Covid 19 just goes away as once they cancel there's no reinstating an event that size at short notice.

8 miles today, fresh morning, flat, no hills today.    Even though I went out at 5:20 lots more people going to work than in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - I saw that re Boston. Apparently those who qualified for it aren’t automatically qualified for next year either which seems harsh. 

7 miles for me yesterday evening and finally broke 10m/mi (9:55). Admittedly I was 1bpm above my MAF hr for the run but that’s mainly due to getting carried away on a downhill but don’t think it made that much difference to the time. Have therefore taken off over a minute from 11:17 m/mi at the start (Worst was actually 11:59 but that was in 25 degrees) in about a month and 125miles which seems like solid progress to me. The nice thing about this training is that it gives me a goal to work towards in the absence of any racing. What seems crazy to me is how close I could get to my goal marathon pace from February of 9:07m/mi (i.e. sub 4 hours on my first marathon)! I also really haven’t tried any MAF runs on routes that weren’t at least half trails through the commons/parks so will do that at some point to see if pace is even faster. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rcouture - I think London will have the same dilemma re GFA time qualification. 

You've really made incredible progress in your pace per mile at your MAF training heart rate.   Carry on like that and we might have to amend that debut marathon goal time.

Trails are dry and fast at the moment but you should still be faster on a good tarmac surface.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rcouture, that is fantastic progress!  Very well done.

Long working day for you there, Ian :(  Hopefully you can get out today if you want.

I also cracked 10min/miles for the first time on a 10-miler today, averaging 139bpm.  I've done it on a 7-miler and shorter runs, and also MAF tests, but not on a 10-miler.  It was quite blustery on the sea front today but I averaged 9:54min/miles so I'm seeing that as a milestone too.  I guess I think of it as my baseline 10-miler as I've done this route dozens of times over the last few months but since HR training I've gone 1:44:08 (28/4), 1:42:48 (19/5) and 1:39:08 (29/5).

As well as this morning's 10, I did about 5.5 yesterday afternoon in what felt like cooler afternoon conditions than recently.  So after the wobble on Tues/Weds I'm feeling pretty good about things again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's significant improvement from you too.   

Glad that you're feeling back on form again now.

This lockdown has definitely been a good time for a spot of base training.

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - That’s really great stuff. 

Shades - It’s thanks to your suggestion! Is there a sense of where one should run a marathon in terms of HR relative to MAF HR? In other words can you use your pace at MAF as a race predictor?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shades, I know we all react differently to things but I've been really surprised how some regular runners have reacted.  With no races, some seem to have lost the bug.  Even over on the sub-3 Facebook group, some runners are implying they've got no motivation to get out there, whereas others are using it as an opportunity to get some miles in, or training as if London will go ahead, and if it doesn't at least they've got the training in for if races come back next year.  Many prominent 100MCers are maybe doing a few 4 or 5 milers, but that's it, with talk of using future marathons to get fit....  We're all different obviously but it's interesting how different people have reacted.  In my own case, I have to say, I haven't had the stomach for long runs at all with nothing specific in the diary to aim at.  In hindsight I think I wasted 3 or 4 weeks of lockdown messing around with higher mileage but then getting injured so I wish I'd started MAF earlier, but I'm on it now!

Rcouture, good question and something I've been pondering, although I don't think I'll race to HR.  What I may do is wear my monitor but not have HR displayed on my Garmin, and just have a look after a race.  I have been wondering what pace to go out at races as I've got nothing recent to base it on.  In the past I've used race/pace predictors with some success but obviously I've not been racing so I can't use those.  I'm hoping that if I go and smash out a 5k at parkrun when it restarts it'll feel miraculously easy with all the training I hope to have done by then, but maybe that's wishful thinking :)    From previous experience, the words "smash out a 5k" and "feeling easy" don't belong in the same sentence.  :) 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I agree it's rather mean to make people qualify for Boston again. It's not like we'll have an opportunity to do so this year so they may as well just roll them over. Seems a strange decision.
    Big G, good work from you. I have to say the lockdown hasn't affected my motivation as I'm really enjoying running for the sake of it, doing a few virtual runs and exploring.

Did my weekly 5K today but as I wasn't feeling awesome this morning (nothing bad, just groggy) I knew a fast time wasn't on so I went for a hill session instead. 2 mile warm-up to Streatham Common, hard 5K around there and another 3 miles home again for a total of 8.
    The Streatham Common hill really isn't that steep, but it goes on and on - it's relentless. Second time up I felt a bit nauseous and had to back off a bit...third time up my legs started to go (lactic, I guess). So 28:36 for that. Not fast for a 5K, but faster than the laps I ran there where I pushed up the hill and recovered on the rest.
    Took my new(ish) Peg Turbos for a spin this time. They still seem to make my left foot ache a bit, not sure why. Achilles wasn't too bad - it doesn't seem to complain as much when I'm moving quickly.
    Enjoyed the run back as I opted to go a different route just to see some new roads. Felt inspired to have a crack at a Strava segment on the way back - got a personal PR but nearly a minute slower than the female course record. Not too surprised - I'm not winning any speed prizes at my age. Or ever, actually.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Exactly and being a novice I only really have one road HM to base myself on and that was back in feb when I didn’t have a clue what I was doing in hindsight and running way too fast in my training. I was also half a stone heavier at the time. My body was really struggling with the same peak mileage for marathon training back then that I am knocking out now comfortably. It’s not going to matter for many months but I do wonder how I would both predict a race time and also structure training for a race, in that I plan to maintain 40mpw under MAF until then whereas most of these first timer training plans build you up slowly to 30-40 with a ton of speedwork. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I don't remember seeing anything in Maffetone's book about predicted pace for a marathon based on your MAF rate, maybe Big G has seen something? 

Do you know your max heart rate, from a test not by using a formula?  

In Hadd's literature he has that best possible marathon HR is 90-91% of MHR.   But I stress that would be ultimate peak training and as we know there are so many other factors that can affect what happens on race day.   Hadd's training gradually winds up the LTHR runs until you reach the stage where you can run 10 miles at marathon HR with no cardiac drift and feel that you could do it all again at same pace and still no cardiac drift.

I just looked back at my spreadsheet for best running year, I trained using Hadd but never got past doing any ILTHR at 80% but I still knocked out a few PB's.   My best races that year..

31/07/10 Marathon 87% MHR - PB
    08/08/10 Marathon 85% MHR - PB
    29/08/10 Six hour race 84% MHR - PB
    04/09/10 50 mile race 81% MHR - PB
    19/09/10 10k race 91% MHR - PB
    17/10/10 Marathon 87% MHR - PB

So I only raced once at 91%, I couldn't have run any further than 10km at that HR.   Out of the marathons the one at 85% was the best paced and that seems to be the average HR that I run a marathon at but sadly not at the pace I did 10 years ago, partly due to increasing age but mainly as I haven't again reached that level of fitness.

Big G - yes, I've not had the appetite for long runs either, I'd much rather a few marathons to do as my long run.    Incidentally in 2010 before the first marathon PB I only did one long run, a 20 miler one week before and my previous marathon was 6 or 7 weeks before.
    I can understand those that race heavily and do little training not really doing much running at all during lockdown and also those that spend 12 months preparing for a fast marathon losing motivation too.   

I'm fortunate as I love training and don't race usually for 6 months of the year although I dropped my mileage too for a few weeks from Feb when I had that gym injury to my chest.

Cal - you always seem to be highly motivated despite the lockdown, especially when it comes to the long runs.

Yes, it seems harsh about Boston qualifying times but I can understand why they do it.    Every runner I know with a GFA time is capable of going out and getting that qualifying time again...subject to finding a race to do it in though!