Overdone it?

Comments

• SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks DT - it seems I have to buy something massively over spec'd for what I require and pay for it which is the way of the modern world I suppose.

I shall no doubt be regaling you with my HR stats and Strava segments won ad nauseam some time soon.

Alehouse thanks - yes the challenge is always to quell the quest for improvement - I'm getting way more running now than I ever thought I would again which I'm delighted with and yet still I hope for more...(I'm really chuffed I'm able to do a Sunday long run again although that is a 10 mile+ long run rather than a P&D 16m+ minimum Long Run).

Elsewhere in the P&D book he talks about a run over 90 mins as classing as a long run and possibly the 16m + is based on 6 min miling being an easy run pace for 5mm marathoners? If that is the case then my 97 mins 11.5 miler on Sunday was a proper long run.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Shit, I was 20 seconds off a long run yesterday 

Skinny, I think 28-30 this week 

5M this morning 
    A heavily front loaded 28 to 30 :-)
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

5mls this afternoon very warm but done.

How's everyone else :)

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Well done Kevin, I hate running in the heat, 8.30 am seems too warm at the moment.

A heavily front loaded 28 to 30 :-)
    Indeed, but a rest day today so I reckon it’ll be Pom poms out for the lads this week 

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny - I have the 35 which I can reccomend. Like you I just wanted the basics and it does that well. Its also quick to find satellites which my old one wasn't and I found very annoying.

DT - I think you asked what I was doing to help recovery when I said my recovery was a bit slow. The answer is nothing! However I've sheepishly started doing some stretching and foam rolling when I can be bothered. Which is still not very often.

I dont know if it's due to the heat but I've been very sluggish in my running over the last couple of weeks. Given up half way through on my last couple of attempts at a session. Possibly due to not adjusting pace to compensate for the heat. You'd think after 12 years of running I might have learnt that lesson, but apparently not :)
    Mr V said:
    Skinny - I have the 35 which I can reccomend. Like you I just wanted the basics and it does that well. Its also quick to find satellites which my old one wasn't and I found very annoying.

DT - I think you asked what I was doing to help recovery when I said my recovery was a bit slow. The answer is nothing! However I've sheepishly started doing some stretching and foam rolling when I can be bothered. Which is still not very often.

I dont know if it's due to the heat but I've been very sluggish in my running over the last couple of weeks. Given up half way through on my last couple of attempts at a session. Possibly due to not adjusting pace to compensate for the heat. You'd think after 12 years of running I might have learnt that lesson, but apparently not :)
    Thanks DT & Mr V - ordered and due to arrive on my birthday on Sunday.

Could just be cumulative fatigue with building up mileage again Mr V?
    2,4,1.5,4,1.5 for 13 so far in my cutback week - absolutely no bounce in my legs still, I was hoping I'd be in full Tigger mode by now.

5 and 2 planned for weekend before getting back to the 30+ miles next week.

Gorgeous weather at moment.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i did 4 x 10 mins yesterday for my longest yet, then followed it up today with a continuous 20m for my longest continuous and first back to backs. Got a bit carried away today trying to tun a progressive so came out 7.45mm which was 30s per mile faster than should have been.

Had my MRI Wednesday and have video call tomorrow with consultant yo hear the damage. 

Skinny, i look forward to the stories of hr v pace on various routes. 

Mr v, that maybe why you are struggling to recover then...when I'm training properly i try and have a epsom salt bath 3 times a week, get 8 hours sleep, plenty of fluids, some stretching and also after big runs my rego rapid recovery drink asap. All helps imo. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Encouraging DT

V - as skinny suggests, maybe the body is struggling a bit if you’re building, as I did last week 

I did 5 yesterday and chucked in a few 200 metre efforts in the last mile which came out at Ave 7:57/M. So 5 years ago i was struggling to run slower than 7:57/M on a recovery run and now it takes 600m of what felt like fairly hard work ( maybe 5k effort)  to run the same pace for a single mile !! Quite depressing really.

Anyway, I should really go out soon for another 4 or 5 and that will leave the same Sunday am for target.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I'm a bit frustrated seeing certain hrs for paces at present.

MRI scan has thrown up a stress fracture of my sacrum. A fairly unusual diagnosis outside old age and running. on a positive it's not something mechanical or overly complex and will just fix with rest. 

Recovery period is 7-12 weeks and ive done 10. He's happy for me to keep running as i am and to very slowly progress it. The risk comes if i lose patience, feel good and up the anti too soon, particularly with longer runs. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that DT. Similar injury to when I was knocked over in Tesco last July! I would agree, gently is the way to go. Will message you!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, thanks. will respond when i get 10 minutes peace later today. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Friday run ended up a bit of a disaster and had to chop it to 2.4M for, ahem, digestive system reasons !! Got out this morning though and ended the week on 28M so I guess 30 is the target for next week.

Happy Sunday all 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone, 

Looks like most people are keeping well, although that sounds a bit nasty DT, hope it's not longer than the 12 weeks anticipated. 

Happy birthday for yesterday, Skinny. Also happy birthday to the the thread, 900 pages old. I've got the Polar m430, which does everything you want, not sure how it compares price wise to others you've been looking at

Mace - sounds like you're building back sensibly. I'm sure the pace will come back if you keep the level of consistency up. 

Mr V - good to see you back here and running well! I quite like running in the heat / sun but don't like racing or doing sessions in the heat. 

I've not been running much at all recently, maybe once or twice a week about 5 miles each time, although I have been cycling between about 40-50 miles a week. 

Our club held a virtual handicap race around the rowing lake this week; essentially you were given a time based on a recent (ish) race result and you had a week to go and run the course (which is ~3miles long and pan flat) as fast as you can as a solo time trial (we were given a week to run our effort so there wa opportunity to select the right day weather wise etc). The winner being the person who beat their handicap by the greatest margin. I was generously given 19:15, which I was happy with as I had no idea what current fitness was given my lack of running. Bob had completed his effort earlier in the week and had finished in  18:45 so that gave me an A target with a B target of under 19 and a C target of under 19:15. First mile was directly into the wind, with the middle mile a combination of head wind and tailwind and the final mile mostly with a tail wind, it was about 25 degrees which is a bit warm for running hard but it didn't really start to feel too hot until the last half mile or so. Tried to just run to feel and not looking at my watch too much, so was pretty pleased to see all my splits come in between 6:15 and 6:20 and an overall time of 18:47, I reckon if had been a 'normal' race it would have been a good smackdown between me and Bob again (although hopefully not with me ending up with a broken clavicle again). 

Not really sure what that tells me other than I think I can probably retain running fitness by cycling. Hoping to start building the running volume back up over the next couple of weeks whilst keeping the cycling at the same level. 
    edited June 2020
    DT19 said:
    MRI scan has thrown up a stress fracture of my sacrum. A fairly unusual diagnosis outside old age and running. on a positive it's not something mechanical or overly complex and will just fix with rest. 

Recovery period is 7-12 weeks and ive done 10. He's happy for me to keep running as i am and to very slowly progress it. The risk comes if i lose patience, feel good and up the anti too soon, particularly with longer runs. 
    That sounds like a proper injury DT - had a quick read of a scientific paper about it and all 21 athletes were able to get back to pre injury training levels so sounds positive - just don't rush it like you say.

Alehouse I'm not aware of the knocked over in Tesco story but was this in the car park or by some crazy trolley pusher?

Mace - 28m - my pompoms are out! (sufficient detail already provided about the abbreviated Friday run thanks).

Tommy that sounds fast full stop but off minimal running and on your own it's a really good effort. My 10 mile PB remains a time I ran on a come back from injury when I had done a lot of cycling during the injury break.

My garmin forerunner 35 arrived yesterday and I was impressed with the simple set up and synching with my iPhone (although who wants WhatsApp messages when you are running FFS!).

Wore it for my 2 mile run and turns out that was a 2.42 mile run so I'll have some fun this next few weeks running all my recent routes and seeing how far they really were (ignoring the correct distances I ran my 20 miles for the cut back week as planned).

I was going to quote my HR and VO2 information but even as a new toy I really can't be arsed.

I do quite like having a picture of my run route though - time to work on some cock and ball routes. :wink:
  • That's a really good time Tommy off so little.

DT - Glad it's been diagnosed. Are you going to have complete rest or still run on it ? I suppose with that sort of injury complete rest is totally impossible.

Good cut back mileage Mace. I cut back last week too, and ran 33 miles. My foot was giving my grief towards the end of the week. I tried the gel pads but i think they made it worse, causing a bit more compression around my metatarsals. Fairly sure it is a nerve thing as I was prodding around the top of my calf and felt pain shoot through my foot.

Skinny - if you don't take your phone with you, you won't get the messages ? But if you already took your phone with you then you could have tracked the runs with it ...
  • Skinny - if you don't take your phone with you, you won't get the messages ? But if you already took your phone with you then you could have tracked the runs with it ...
    Ah I'm only getting the whatsapps on my garmin because it is blue toothed to my phone? I probably didn't get a message whilst actually on the run I'd just noticed the WhatsApp messages kept appearing on the garmin - that makes sense - good!

My foot was giving my grief towards the end of the week. I tried the gel pads but i think they made it worse, causing a bit more compression around my metatarsals. Fairly sure it is a nerve thing as I was prodding around the top of my calf and felt pain shoot through my foot.
    Sounds a bit persistent now. As I know to my cost, knowing it is a nerve thing and getting it to stop are two different things but hopefully it will ease off and go

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Skinny: Tesco last July...a woman, probably in her seventies, was pushing one of those trolleys shaped like a car with two youngsters on board...and went into the back of me, literally taking my legs from under me. Landed on my back and found out a few days later that I had fractured my sacrum.  A particular shame as was running reasonably and a few days before had scored 77% on WAVA when running 21:xx for 5k, which was not too bad at 65 and expected that there was more to come. And enjoy your new toy!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse said:
    Skinny: Tesco last July...a woman, probably in her seventies, was pushing one of those trolleys shaped like a car with two youngsters on board...and went into the back of me, literally taking my legs from under me. Landed on my back and found out a few days later that I had fractured my sacrum.  A particular shame as was running reasonably and a few days before had scored 77% on WAVA when running 21:xx for 5k, which was not too bad at 65 and expected that there was more to come. And enjoy your new toy!
    That's shocking and annoying. Are you back running properly now? You've probably got a while to build up before you get a chance to beat that 77%.

My M-I-L was seriously hurt a few years ago (various broken bones and hospital stay) when the woman in front of her on an M&S escalator toppled backwards and fell on her making her also fall backwards down the escalator. She was more injured than the woman whose fall she cushioned.

Shopping - dangerous pastime - I try to do it as little as possible. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Didn't really get running again until October, Skinny, and the fracture somehow stopped my glutes from working, so it is only since the lockdown, oddly, that I have been able to train anywhere near where I was last summer. Last 12 weeks have been 27, 30, 31, 33, 34, 36,39, 40, 43, 46, 50, 50. Shame it is kms not miles! Longest run was 12k until this morning's 13. All slow as it is very much base-building time with no prospect of races or parkruns, which for me is probably a good thing! And daughter has done the shopping during lockdown and leaves it in the porch.
  • Hahah - until you said kms I was thinking it was very impressive - still 50k the last 2 weeks is 31 miles so you are at a similar mileage to me with probably a better back catalogue in last 12 weeks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, yes I have probably read the same study. I just need to make sure I let it repair well and then resolve the imbalance. Injuries like this, there isn't a great deal to help it along beyond time, however it isn't as complex as a nerve or ligament problem.

In terms of rest, what i   have read re stress fractures is that once they have healed to the point where functionality can be tolerated without more than minor discomfort then running for example to a moderate level will help it along. One of the biggest stresses on it is simply sitting for long periods.

Glad you like the watch, they are pretty user friendly. You should sign up to strava now!!

Tommy, sounds like the bike work has kept you in pretty decent shape.

edited June 2020
    Last night I discovered that my 4 mile run home is actually 4.2 miles - I also stretched*** my newly freshened legs (so they are no longer fresh any more!) and ran them at an average of 7:23mm which was probably New Garmin induced - every mile got faster so 7:30 as my MP pace for 6 miles from start of July feels pretty doable at the moment.

My 1.5 into work this morning is actually 1.7 so I've probably been running a whole mile further each week than I thought (and faster than I thought too).

***my new Garmin does actually confirm my legs were stretched to 1.26m average stride length whereas Sunday's 2.4 miles was only 1.15m - I'm sure this is a simple calculation of speed/distance and cadence so just actually means I ran faster which is same as saying I ran home in 7:23mm instead of 7:59mm so totally superfluous information.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Muddy, the pads did wonders for me so maybe is a nerve thing like you say.

Alehouse, nice kilometerage, I hope Pete doesn’t see it as he won’t be happy he’s not the only K in the village ;-)

Skinny, I’m waiting for some HR stats please :-) I’ll probably return to being an HR Wanker soon but not just yet. I have a Fitbit which tells me my max is 10 beats higher than I previously thought it was and I’m hitting it regularly on runs. Not sure about that as it certainly doesn’t feel HR -maxy.

My garmin 620 has a recovery checker on it so about a mile into a run it would  pop up with “ recovery good “. Infact that’s all it ever told me, even if I felt absolutely knackered and the garmin had my HR through the roof. 

10.5 this morning, was ticking along nicely after 8 then I turned into the wind with the sun beating down and by the time I hit an incline I’d had enough. 

Starting to feel like a proper runner again with a black toe nail and blisters !!

• mace said:
    Alehouse, nice kilometerage, I hope Pete doesn’t see it as he won’t be happy he’s not the only K in the village ;-)
    Haha - very good!
  • DT19 said:
    Hr data? 
    mace said:

Skinny, I’m waiting for some HR stats please :-)

Always keen to reward my fans

3 runs to date with my new watch

Sun 2.4m @ 7:59mm Av HR 140
    Mon 4.2m @ 7:23mm Av HR 144
    Tues 1.7m @ 7:44 Av HR 132

Now I've done it please desist making these silly requests.

• It all means nothing without gradient adjusted pace  :D

Rest for me since Sunday am, out later for whatever the foot holds up to.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I want to know what Skinny's vertical oscillation was.