Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - you are old enough to qualify.

12m
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. good to see you getting some consistent miles in.  Yes indeed this weather is causing some crowding on usually quiet paths.  I think we used up our crap weather segment earlier in the year - no sign of rain here!
    Nice double digit run again TR, if this heat continues another singlet might be the order of the day.  ;)

Got out for 5.5m this afternoon and took a tumble just after half way.  It was on the edge of a field and sod's law my head landed on the only rock in the vicinity.  My sunglasses ended up in 3 pieces but as they were my posh Oakleys they are designed to dismantle under stress so just clipped back together again with no damage.  I do have a bit of a gashed knee and a thin 2 inch cut from eye to cheekbone.  Nothing serious though so should be back in action tomorrow. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey Wardi that could have been nasty, glad you're ok, its rarely warm enough for a singlet, T shirt today, forgot my cap which was more of an issue as i had sweat running down my face when i usually catch it.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Ouch Wardi glad no serious harm. Sounds like the Oakleys took the impact and crumpled as designed I'm sure. A battle scar to be proud of too by sounds of it.

TR - I'm not sure there really are masters and vets anymore. Everyone seems blisteringly quick regardless of age these days. 

Yeah getting out there and stringing some weeks together. Have been trying to do a couple of quicker things every week to mix it up but couldn't be bothered tonight so just ran 10 on a hilly route picking the pace up the climbs. Did the trick as I was gassed at the end. 

Work deadline almost in the bag and big reveal next week so hopefully light at the end of the tunnel. Set a target to finish work on time this week. So far have done 3 hours overtime already :( Just thankful I'm not commuting on top of the extra hours atm. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Dodged one there Wardi - Glad no serious damage done

Good news on the work front and decent to be able to get some consistency in the middle of it all SJ.

Had another hard session yesterday afternoon - 1 x 1.5m at hmp, 4x1 mile at 10k and 2x1 k at 5k all of 90 secs. Was tough anyway but the breeze and sun didnt help - all ok except for last 5k rep when I was closer to 10k pace. i also extended one or two of the intervals. Ive got a relatively easy week from now on in thankfully.

Ive been in a singlet for weeks now and it looks like I will be for a couple more
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - that hilly 10 is a good session in itself.

Menn - sounds tough, another good session bagged.

I was tired for the 10x3min today, didnt make it as far as the last couple of sessions by the end of the 10th rep,  but i was tired in last nights 12m so fully expected.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice training chaps!  I did get out for a sun drenched run this morning, my 'new' grazes didn't bother me at all though I think the tumble did pull my old niggle a bit so that was grumbling for the duration.  Just ignored it & did just over 7m including a loop of York racecourse.  I must be accident prone ATM as when I sat down on a stone bench in our back garden for a beer this afternoon it collapsed underneath me.  Either that or I've put weight on recently!  It is an old bench so probably rotten.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    How is it today Wardi ?

8m easy here. My back up autumn mara (North Dorset villages) which was being pencilled in for 11th Oct have deferred to next May. That was a less than 400 runners race too. Disappointing news.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    TR - That really doesn't look hopeful then for any races this year.
    Wardi - you're having quite a time of it. Presumably the bench collapsing nothing to do with weight?
    Menn - putting in some ridic sessions. Hopefully you'll get to put this fitness to some use. More than just showing off on here ;)
    SJ - looks like you can really crack on now then. Always good to finish something off.

Something of a slack week this week although I have built a bench from BBQ (and ran back from said BBQ because we had no space for a passenger). Took a trip up to the peak district today and did a slow 30 miles (1200m climbing) with a mate. It was a reminder of what real climbs look and feel like (tough!). Good calorie burn and a proper cycling tan to boot. I do love this weather.

edited May 2020
    TR - yes the hilly 10 felt tough in the heat. Shame about that smaller fixture. As others, doesn't bode well. I imagine the locals will see off any attempts at anything anyway. 

Wardi - oh that is bad luck. Was it very old (the bench)? Hope the grumbles settle down. 

Menn - that sounded a toughie for sure. You must be in great shape to be doing these sessions. I follow a lot of sub elites on strava and it's really not rocket science as TR likes to put it, just serious graft and getting used to what it feels like to hurt whilst running. 

RJR - you must be reasonably local to me then (East Mcr) if you were in the Peak District. Where abouts did you go? 

Easy 10k last night and then up at 3am to meet up with a club mate who was doing 100miles in 24hrs, 4.2 miles starting every hour. I joined him for the 4am leg. Awesome effort by him and a load of cash raised for a food bank charity. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    not great news on the race TR - Hope the 8m easy did its job today

Wardi - Hopefully nothing more serious than some additional DIY then

SJ - nice work on the 3am start :o and great effort from your mate

RJR - Sounds like a proper workout - great place to be doing it.

Just trying to get back to a steady level of fitness as ive been on a rollercoaster with niggles and injuries - I am suffering with the MLR/LSR at the moment - 11 with 8 at 6.15 today and was really pushing to hold onto it at times, but i was out early (not SJ early) and I really need 3 hours awake before the old bones loosen off
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ha ha the bench was stone so I was spreadeagled amongst a pile of masonry.  It was due for replacement so it seems I just finished it off.
    SJ.. crikey that's an early start, great teamwork.
    Menn.. that's quite a long tempo during a MLR, nicely done.
    R/Joe.. a well earned cycling tan, and I agree re. the weather - no sign of change for a week or so.
    TR.. it had calmed down from yesterday but I decided on the bike today, 27.5m in glorious sun.  Traffic is definitely increasing as the days go by.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SJ - Not many people working overtime at the moment. Your getting some decent training done and dusted. A good on you for the early start to help your mate with his 100 miler, sounds kinda fantastic. 
    Menn - Your killing the training at the moment, make sure you don't overdo it...with those old bones, which are younger than mine! 
    RJoe - That sounds a beautiful cycle ride, and agreed, loving the weather, just opens up so many exercising outdoors possibilities.  
    TR - Bad news on North Dorset, what do you have in the near term race-wise?  Presume you've seen that Boston have pulled the 2020 rearranged marathon, portent for London.  But keep on banging out those miles, inspiration.
    Wardi - Unlucky and lucky with the fall, and good to see no lasting damage.  Sounds a good cycle. Its the road traffic that puts me off cycling more, especially around here which tend to get filled with holiday traffic/ caravans. 
    Just running a lot of steady 5/6 milers this week, generally on surrounding fields as I manage my sore knees but going to start upping the miles as still looking at a late August trail marathon option. 
    SJ - not close at all really. my friend lives in saddleworth so south peaks is a halfway house. an hour and a half for me from Solihull. 

Wardi - you wouldn't know we were in any sort of lockdown from traffic on m6 yesterday. mind you I was contributing to that...

We spent the majority of the ride yday with barely any civilisation in sight and it was beautiful. got to Ilam and it was choca with people. Baffling why people don't search out some different places to walk at this time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play to you SJ, keeing yr mate company at that hour, but at least its decent weather for it.

Menn - tasty run, how does 6.15s compare re target race paces ?

Wardi - good its settling, yes i see more traffic now on my way to work. It was quiet for a while.

OO - all the june and july fixtures i had have cancelled, one has even moved agsin from Aug to Oct. I would usually do IoW 1/2 in August, thats on hold. So my next planned fixture would be Brighton mara in Sept.....North Dorset is a shock as its LT 400 entries and a rural race, but was school based......could be IoW for a sub 3 attempt (on a tough course).

9m easy today. 17ish with 3x20min tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    17m inc 3x20min (3min jog) av 6.29 (undulating), 6.26 (flatter), 6.44 (hilly). Good blow out.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Cracking session TR, especially given the warmth. Few beers and a kip in the garden this afternoon I recommend. 
    A humble 7m for me, run in vest used for my first London marathon 2005 3:00:41 & the shorts for my second and first sub 3 in 2006. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a bit of clothing nostalgia emerging from your wardrobe OO.  
    Great multi tempo work inside some useful miles TR.  Thirsty work I assume?

Mrs Wardi wanted ride out on the bike today so I sacrificed a possible run (no hardship in my current state).  Took advantage of the blue skies by cycling up to Beningbrough Hall (NT property) and back.  40m round trip from home, I can feel a beer coming on soon.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Decent workout that TR in the middle of a lSR - in the area of a training sub 1.30 in the middle of all that which is always nice to see.

OO - the magic kit - ive got some of that stuff which gets recycled on the big days...

TR - 6.15 is similar to P&D MP+10% is a hard steady effort. I havent got a target race time yet but it will fall somewhere between 5.43 and 5.55 

recovery 4 for me yesterday,  8 easy side of steady (6.35) this morning. Left it a bit late so a tad warm at the end. Might even enjoy a beer myself in a mo 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Nice looking ride that Wardi, and a happy Mrs Wardi too. Win win. 
    Menn - impressed that 6.35 is the easy side of steady. 
    After a short jog with Mrs OO (start of her campaign for the Malaga HM in December) last night, ran just over 15 miles this morning running some hilly local trails with my mate in just over 2 hours. Start of my mara prep for Dartmoor mara in August. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    OO - too warm for early beer after ydays blast, but i had some chilled ones later. Nice one on todays run, i guess club sessions might be able to start off a bit soon, now 6 people can train together.

Wardi - bike ride sounded nice.

Menn - still a quite tough run then. Hope the beer was good.

8m easy here (after the usual walk first).

6 folks being able to run together (2m apart), wont affect me as im unattaxhed harriers so have no club mates and my only training partners are virual ones, but hopefully its the start of a return to some sort of racing in a few months. The crowded beaches and picnics look more risky than running to me,  but the train of thought seems to be that being outdoors is quite low risk now.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice work OO
    Didnt have the beer in the end - but got a Wainwrights calling me from the fridge - Is it too early??

16 this morning with a running buddy which made it my first un-horrible (made up word) LSR in 3-4 weeks.

TR - very tasty run that 17 with the 20 min efforts. Those 'stats' are from the new gadget I assume? How are you finding it? Good to look back over post workout? A little bit of analysis is ok I reckon :) 

Wardi - sounded like a nice ride. I have been tempted to dust the Mike's off but they are wedged good and proper since installing the treadie in the shed. I might need a bigger shed. 

OO / Menn - decent long runs bagged. Both deserving of a cold one I should think. 

21k for me today up in the Peaks again. Got out a little later than planned and it was already pretty toastie at 10am. Decent run with over 700m climbing. I am terrible at hills though. Pretty ropey going up and gash coming down too. Oh well, what dont kill you etc. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - wainwrights golden ? Oh yes, i love a drop of that. Good run today then, the company obviously helped......have a look at Russell Bentleys twitter he is doing a  17m run a day this week, he cant be a million miles away from you either.

SJ - that was a tough run today, thats jooligan level climbing too......stats are from gadget, i just used autolap, need to run reps on repeatable loops really, my 3min rep paces ranged from 5.57 to 7.05 pace the other day depending upon elevation.......it makes me laugh that it tells me im sleeping 10 or 11 hrs a night and i only wear it to run......also predicts i have improved from 3.41 for a mara on Friday to 3.33 today (i know its BS, but crab and ode send me theirs for a bit of fun).
    TR - those efforts in a long run are a solid assessment of what great shape you're in i reckon.

Glad to see people are lapping up the sunshine in their different ways.

6 miles this morning makes 15 for the week plus 30 miles on the bike. One more week of casual running, hopefully around 35 miles, and then i'll start my tilt for a new 5k pb.

edited May 2020
    TR - oh yeah ignore all that crap they add onto these watches. I have never looked at calorie burn or the sleep stuff. The reason I use a Polar device is for the HR stuff. Now that I am interested in and is a far more personalized indicator of effort or recovery etc. 

Even the gps stuff is be be taken anecdotally I reckon. The variation is too great. I also never use instant pace as thay is useless for me at least. Average pace for the lap is a little more stable but again based off gps so probably not that useful. 

Almost beer o'clock. Nothing interesting though, just another case of Corona extra. £9 for 12 at my local Tesco. People up here are still avoiding it apparently :) 

RJR - What's the target? Not a fan of the 5k but I have promised to tip up at some park runs when they startup again as Mrs and Mini SJ have continued to show interest since the treadmill arrived. I may put a bit of effort in one or two of those. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Is that a virtual 5k race joe ?

SJ - instant pace is variable too, its erratic when i run my tree lined lanes, due to measurement sampling being affected and then it playing catch up. I just used manual lap for the 20min efforts, i need to get on the flat i guess and try to see some repeatability......yum, re the beer.
    I really appreciate the human psychology element of refusing to buy corona. Great for those who enjoy to get those discounts.

I can't fault GPS too much if you run on the roads. I have ditched live pace though in favour of average pace. Gives me some mental maths to do if i'm doing different paced reps.

No event on the 5k, just a desire to get a PB. I wanted a PB at the 4 "main"  distances on the road over 12 months. The marathon was done in December. The half has been done in March (albeit on my own). I need to shave a minute off my current 5k time. If I do, then the 10k should follow fairly comfortably since i've hardly ever raced it.

A coach has put together a 10 week plan focused at the 5k. It's a pretty brutal distance to run I think because you're in the red so quickly and for what seems like a fairly long time but i'm looking forward to the challenge.

Will be well worth getting down to parkrun SJ when it's back. But the fairly unregulated nature of it and uncertainty around numbers each week makes me think starting them up again could be way down the road...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ooh I like both Sol & Corona, though I can currently get 12 Sol for £7 so that is the tipple of choice on price per glug grounds.  
    ..which reminds me TR, Njord's running watch can also pay for his beer (when he can get into a bar obviously).  :)
    SJ.. I think you will enjoy the Parkrun, good for a fast blast and to encourage others too.
    Nice MLR's Menn & SJ, I quite like running in the warmth but I know some who don't.
    Just over 6m run and a few miles on the bike today, enjoyed it.   Chicken Pathia to follow.
  • Instant pace on GPS has always been ropey.  In fact anything your watch tells you bar the time should be taken with a pinch of salt.  Maybe on a straight line course across open ground it would be at its best, but even then it's unlikely to be repeatable day after day to any great accuracy.  When I ran a track marathon back in January it credited me with over 27 miles for the 105.5 laps.

Good to see people still motivated - I must admit mine has gone through the floor, certainly in terms of any quality sessions.  I've been telling myself for years that the next marathon would be the last I really train properly for, and Tokyo, with London to follow would have been a good point to tone it down a bit.  I must admit after a few good performances in February I was rethinking that, but with no firm date for London I'm just not motivated to do the proper hard sessions.  And I'm missing the benefit of the lunchtime group tempo & interval sessions.

On the plus side cycling is enjoyable these days.  I rode down to Brighton yesterday, there by 9am while it was still quiet and back for lunch, 85 mile round trip.

Parkruns aren't going to return until there are no restrictions on numbers that can meet or any requirements for distancing.  They've been inundated with suggestions on how parkrun could be done while meeting any restrictions that may be in place, and needless to say none of them are workable in practice.