Comrades 2020

Comments

• Snail: nothing definite. There was an email during the last week or so that gave details how they would manage it with chip timing or something - not gun to gun. At the moment I'm working on the assumption they will go ahead - hopefully both, otherwise NDW100 only. Hence my recces.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking this coming weekend when the next update is announced from the government on what we can and can't do will be a good indicator. At the moment, EA have suspended all competitions until 30th June. Guess they will ultimately decide whether races start getting the green light or not and in what form they will take.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Hardrock has been cancelled. It was 146 starters...

I have found a race with just 23 starters so far - but it’s a 100 miler where there is only 1 checkpoint and you have to be completely self-sufficient (including water!). Entry fee is cheap though... :smile:
  • Slow Duck - really sorry to hear that. You've trained so hard. Will it be 3rd time lucky next year? Didn't the weather stop one of your races last year? Which 100 miler have you found? In this country?
  • Slow Duck: I'd heard that and was really feeling for you. Entry rolled over?
    Good luck with the 100-miler - any water sources along the way?
    There's still time to do a 100 as part of the Centurion One Community Challenge this week (ends at midnight Sunday). Choose your own course, set up your own aid station(s)...
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Yes, Hardrock was cancelled last year too but the entries were carried over to this year. The organisers have not made a decision on carrying over entries again... I’m a bit apprehensive as last time the carry-over was announced at the same time as the cancellation...

The Plain 100 is the little race that I found in Washington State...

I’m doing the Centurion 50 miler this week... 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Slow Duck, sorry to hear that about Hardrock. Hopefully you will get your entry carried forward. I guess the organisers need to be as sure as they can be that they can run the race in 2021 before they make any announcement about next year. Just had a look at The Plain 100, only 4 finishers in the first 8 years, sounds almost as tough as the Barkley! Though I see the finish rate has improved a bit recently. Good luck with this week's 50 miler.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your refund issues Dubai, and your tough training conditions.  I had to make do with KLM vouchers for the international flights, but fortunately I booked with BA for the internal ones so that's been refunded.
    I'm giving some thought to using the KLM vouchers for Two Oceans next year, yet to do it and as Easter in 2021 is early it gives c.2 months before Comrades.  A nicer time of year to visit the Cape and the Winelands (after the race!).
    Lowrez - as you managed the 7 in 7, I agree a half is most definitely achievable.
    Slow Duck - sorry to hear about Hardrock and that with Comrades too.  Does that clear the way for a virtual Comrades?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SD - its gotta be 3rd time lucky with aldenteblackpoolcandy its gotta be coming your way after the spirits got you in in the first place and all the hard work you have put in... what a challenge though if it has brought you to the door of the Barkleyesque Plains :)

Mac, you have me drooling at the thought of a wine tour post coupleofseas I have unfinished business there - wonder if Dannirr has his eye on it too? I need to visit this sign (I've been given a sign he said holding up a discarded sandal)

Although 2O is a neat piece of marketing, the above sign is nowhere near False Bay

So the top right aquatic label on the representation below is a bit of false (snigger) geographic poetry!

Great profile though

And scenery

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I was quiz master for work again this affy in virtual-space

Promotional poster

In quiz action

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    lowrez - you make me smile every time I read this forum. Thank you.
  • I too would like to go to cape town but I'm not sure I'm going to have time next year. Lots of things I want to do (if we can). 

Great photos Lowrez, but what have you done to Jenny the Vixen Ryan? She's showing a bit of underwear!!! Hope nobody was drunk watching you in action in your Rubiks cube quiz  :#
  • Looking to finish Centurion Community today, my only 100 mile week outside of Africa where I’ve done it twice, given Gad surgery on Friday which meant nil by mouth from 13hrs Thursday and was buggered most of yesterday then the UV being around 7 most days it’s proved a challenge for sure! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    She led me on SS! Wanted to be all nice and sparkly for the show, so we cracked open a jar of shimmer lotion :D

I better go for a run too - was lazy yesterday when just as I was contemplating stepping out some food tempted me away from it! I'm so weak :D

Glad my meanderings are entertaining you Marty :D
  • 50K yesterday (NDW Farnham to Dorking plus a bit), 50K today (NDW Dorking to Knockholt Pound, plus a bit). Total for the week 93.4 miles... My coach said 'no' to the idea of a 100-mile training week but we compromised from 2 x 25 miles for 50 mile total over the weekend to 2 x 50K... I suppose it would be silly to go out and trot another 6.6 miles and convert my Centurion Running One Community 50K (yesterday's) into a split 100, tempting though it is! (And it's not as if that would be my first-ever 100-mile week or anything).
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra, that's an impressive back-to-back. Not tempted to go for a 6.6 mile stroll this evening? Would your coach let that go? I recced the NDW from Detling to just past Lenham yesterday. The first four/five miles to Hollingbourne are going to be tricky in the dark (4 big flights of steps, two up and two down, lots of tree roots, rutted paths, loose flints, a few bits of metal sticking up, and quite a few low branches to duck under), but after the pub at Hollingbourne it's pretty straighforward. Could have done with being able to stop for a pint in the heat though.
  • So Debra - did you go out and finish your 100 mile week off  :)
    Well done you. Thats fantastic running. Are the stepping stones at Boxhill still out of action? I had to use the bridge as apparently one of the stones was overturned.
    My sister has just agreed to pick me up from Detling for the virtual Comrades half. Mr SS will drop me off. How much water have you carried with you these past 2 days. Thats the only thing that concerns me. Have been trying to google if theres any shops nearby on route where I can buy some but without success. I have a race vest that takes about 1.5/2 litres in the bladder and another litre in the front. Suppose I could put my bottle belt on too but might feel like a pack horse and unable to move!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great running and reconnoitring peeps, I'm supping a pint of IPA after doing a half with nothing and suffering again for it in today's heat. Wore another Comrades creation, need to do more between these longer runs; last week I did nowt.

• Been incredibly sensible, resisted temptation and not gone out to do the extra.
    The stepping stones are still out of action - one seems to be missing, so I took a photo then went round by the bridge.
    Snail: glad you have your transport sorted for 14th. Where are you starting? I carried 2.5 litres (2 x 500 ml bottles on the front, another 2 inside a plastic bag (in case of any leakage) in the pack and one in my hand) and topped up one 500ml bottle on each run - at the church on the top of St Martha's Hill and at St Catherine's church that we go though just before crossing the railway bridge at Merstham. I'm planning on carrying 2.5-3 litres for my virtual Comrades half from Knockholt Pound to Detling on 14th if the weather is similar to how it's been this weekend. I asked on the Centurion FB and as I recall there's nothing after Wrotham, alas, unless you have someone who could be persuaded to meet you part way.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    When I checked it out there's a Co-op store about 200 metres on the left down Wouldham Road in Borstal, after crossing the M2 bridge and before you go back under the M2. And there's a little community shop in Detling, but that's all I could find on that stretch of the NDW. The Ranscombe Farm Visitor Centre just outside Cuxton is closed at the moment.
    Well done on your restraint Debra, and 1owrez it sounds like running once a week is working for you at the moment. Looks like it'll be a bit cooler from the middle of next week.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Cike It appears to have GI issues due to the volume of cheese he has consumed, currently in a portaloo at the final support table on Berea he still has plenty of time to finish.

CAR romped home smashing the 10:30 mark and cowrez and Caerphilly formed a cus finishing together, both very pleased to have broken 11 hours.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Iike It is having a hard time with a plague of Ichneumons as he battles towards half way, IcHilly is looking good to break 11 hours with just a couple of ks to go until Dogbane stadium.

Ieter is looking a dead cert for first place, with movement likely to be relaxed in SA before Iike It can make it to the stadium he should be able to hang on for the win. IAR is incredibly consistent again smashing 10:30.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Things have calmed down in the park since last week. Pike It hasn't moved; he's been gorging himself in the incredible Polly Shortbreads. The rest of the gang are not in a rush either loving the the cool Choca Mochas with Fancies on the side.

A whole heap of us legged it after the police arrived and took up refuge in the stadium. Despite forming a pus Pecca and Park couldn't beat 11 hours, they stopped for some Durbanoffe on the way into the stadium but had to wait longer than expected as they had run out of forks. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Everyone is having a great time in the cafe, Sike It unfortunately lost a shoe on the start line and has been prevented from moving on after a crowd of 5,000 disciples picked it up convinced that it is a sign that he is the new messiah, he has managed to turn this to his advantage though and is currently eating egg and spam at their expense, although they are all expecting to be fed too out of this single purchase. The next group are enjoying egg bacon sausage and spam, but Subai didn't fancy the egg so ran on for spam bacon sausage and spam. The next group were absolutely famished so they ran on for the spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam, although Secca asked for it without the spam but with extra beans. Then we have the high milers deservedly tucking into the thermidor.

Saldstan needs to eat more spam if he is ever going to steal that first place spot off Seter! But who knows how this one might evolve, there are still many spammers out on the course who could pip Seter for the top table.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Announcing Probeland for the next race, although I have avoided Uranus as an option on this one!

This will be the longest down run ever with the course spanning 50 billion light years to the edge of the observable universe, I make that  473,036,536,529,050,812,834,856 km or 295,647,835,330,656,509,522,534 miles. Use of worm holes is allowed in order to complete the distance within the 12 hour limit.
  • baldstan: that info on the Co-op could be VERY useful - thank you. I wonder if any of my SVN friends live close enough to Ranscombe to nip over and drop me off some water - the visitor centre may be closed but I know people are still running there.
    lowrez: I am -SO- not eating the thermidor!
    Probeland looks fun! Today is rest day - tomorrow I will get started.
    Snail: present forecast for 14th is a little cooler than the past weekend, so I think I'll go with my 2.5 litres (I do find soft bottles much nicer than hard ones - so much easier to hold, more comfortable in the front pockets, don't make irritating splashing noises, and collapse down when empty) expect it to be enough, and go buy an extra 500mL at the Co-op if necessary.

• Debra - I'm also going to do Knockholt Pound to Detling (apparently 32 miles). Working out what time to aim at starting bearing in mind it will take an hour to get there and I would imagine it will take me 8.5/9 hours to finish! My sister would come and drop some water somewhere but I really don't want to ask her. She's already doing me an enormous favour. My other concern is how well the route is marked, especially when we've come off onto the road and getting back on the track again.

Baldstan - Have found the co-op that you mentioned. There also appears to be a co-op a short bit before you get to the M2

Lowrez - You're imagination knows no bounds!!!  :)

• Snail: this weekend we got up 5am, were on the road by 6am. I aimed to get started on the run shortly after 7am - managed that better on Sunday than on Saturday (I'd misremembered how long it takes to get to Farnham). I have the advantage for this next one that Knockholt Pound isn't too far away.
    Centurion has the NDW100 .gpx file on their website - worth loading on your watch? I found their NDW50 one some use yesterday but not great as my watch kept saying I was on the wrong route when I knew I wasn't... I am hoping fewer of the fingerposts will be missing for the next section - and of course I have the Harvey's map, which was definitely helpful both days. (I've cut it into sections so Ihave the relevant section rolled up and in my hand or an easy-access pocket.)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    But Debra, there is a special vegan thermidor option :D

1owrez said on May 25th:
    The lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a mornay sauce garnished with a truffle pate, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam can be served as a vegan option as truffle pate in a brandy sauce :) or you can have the baked beans.

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    1owrez, 50 billion light years in 12 hours, I think you've finally proved Einstein wrong! Don't know how much spam I'm going to need to fuel that run. I found a tin of corned beef in the cupboard. Will that be good enough I wonder.
    Debra, thanks for the warning about the missing signposts on the first stretch of the NDW, I'm planning to check out Farnham to Dorking this weekend. I'm using the Harvey map as well and with that and the NDW signs haven't had any major problems so far. There's one bit passing The Oaks just after climbing up from Otford where the path twists a bit more than the map suggests, and a section going through the woods after Holly Hill where there aren't NDW signs, but if you keep going on the same bearing it's fine. Oh, and the NDW signs change colour from yellow to red around Holly Hill, which threw me for a moment. But, so far, I've not got lost anywhere. Glad to see the forecast for cooler weather though.