Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - this was the article that I mentioned above, I had saved it.  

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/feb/15/an-updated-formula-for-marathon-running-success

Cal - it's so annoying those breaking the lockdown as the relaxation of rules doesn't come in until tomorrow but so many blatantly flout that rule and it's their 'don't care' attitude that is annoying.   

Another new but sounds complicated route for you, lots of lovely hills ;) good running.

You might get a few more miles out of those shoes in shorter runs, they've done well.   Seems you've sorted the chaffing problem too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Sounds like another good adventure run,added you on Strava.
    First ever run around a lake event entered,will see what happens with it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I accepted it...made me do a double take as I knew another Ian Rowlands, a good friend's husband - unfortunately he died (complications from leukemia) last year.
    Good luck with the race - hope it happens for you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just had to register an email address to read that article.   Very interesting.
    It seems the countries on their '2nd wave' are keeping a low profile as now their economy is more of a danger to life.    
    Then you can see from this chart https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    the countries that aren't reporting their deaths, it will be a long time before we know the actual death toll from some of these countries, look at Russia, that death figure has barely moved on the chart for weeks.

Ian - how many laps of TBL (that bloody lake) is it for this race?

Used to be a gorgeous marathon around Lake Vyrney, only 2 laps though, only a half marathon now but a good fast race.

Then there's Windermere, just one lap, lovely race...sighs

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian!  I don't think I will book there at the moment, but I may enter the two August Plym Trail ones, or I may wait to see if the July ones go ahead first and if they don't see if I can move them to August.

Shades, I know they've been providing some content for free over the last few weeks.  I've been a subscriber for a long time now and get the paper delivered every week, as well as everything being on line too.  I've been struggling a bit to get news that I can trust and I find The Economist very well balanced.  If someone does well they say so, or if not so well they say so, regardless of the politics.  They do think Trump is an idiot though!  I actually joined a Zoom call last week with three of their journalists - one based in Britain, one in Asia and the other in Brazil.  It was a very interesting insight into how they get the stories.  They've never done it before but I think there were a few thousand on there, so they're going to do it again.  They are unusual as they don't give bylines for the journalists, except for guest writers.  These days you can find the names fairly easily on Twitter so it's not a secret, but their ethos is that the news is the important thing, not the person writing it.

Speaking of Russia, they did a piece called "The Anatomy of Lies" about covid 19 and the stats coming out from there.  Apparently Putin's ratings have dropped to historic lows in recent weeks.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was thinking about Plym Trail course the other day, do you think he'll have to change the course as the part from where we cross the car park to Coypool seems too narrow for social distancing?  As the route is open to the public that might be an issue, I think if it was just the runners we wouldn't be too bothered as we would pass quickly, but general public I'm not so sure.

I agree the news since the pandemic started is definitely substandard, as if nothing is checked anymore.   And from listening to the journalists and their idiotic questions at the daily updates really shows that they really have no grasp of the subject or their job.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good point about Plym Trail, Shades.  Yes, it is narrow along that bit you mentioned.  I wonder if he's got something in mind to address that.

Not the same but part of the reason Trotters decided to cancel Totnes 10k relatively early (date was 2nd August) is that even if are permitted by then and could get the marshals etc, would the local residents be happy with a few hundred runners in the area?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I can understand that about Totnes 10k.   To ensure the future of the race relies on being on good terms with the people that live in the area.

If he has to amend the course at Plym Trail the obvious adjustment would be to turn us round before the car park and head back to the start.   It would remove the flattest section of the route and would be harder for us. So we'd have to do 3 out and back sections.  

Anyway we'll wait and see when he's able to put the next event on first.   He too needs to rely on the goodwill of the locals.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-7 and half laps,I actually think I would be ok with it,as I enjoy taking over etc towards the end of races,hopefully not many fast enough to be taking over me to demoralise me.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that’s presumably the Caldecotte loop then. As it happens, that’s probably my favourite of the 3 courses he does. You’ll be lapping the majority of the runners I’d have thought.  Occasionally there may be a sub-3 runner there but obviously it just depends who turns up. Did you get into the Premier Inn ok or are you waiting to book that?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Didnt't think about that,good tip so I've just booked it.£29 and can cancel up to 30 days before so hopefully have a better idea by then.
    9 miles after work means I did 1.5 miles more than last month and means 250.2 so another new record month.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you run an evenly paced race and you mastered a track marathon so I'm sure 7.5 laps will suit you well.

Is your OH going to make her marathon debut at Enigma too?

I'm really impressed with Premier's new saver rate that can still be cancelled a month before.   They've switched my Frankfurt booking to that type of booking so I can cancel and get a refund if necessary.

Congrats on achieving your mileage target for the month.

I had a bit of discomfort in my right ankle in the early stages of yesterday's run and last night when sitting watching telly it was hurting, same sort of pain as a sprain, but no swelling and couldn't find the source.   So I was going to take today as a rest day but it seemed fine this morning so did a loop of the town first to see if it was OK, it was, so an easy 6 miles.   Another lovely fresh morning, so dry and dusty, really need some rain.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, what I quite like to do is once I get into my rhythm work out how long each lap should take me.  I find the time/laps can go quite quickly that way.  Although I did say I wasn't going to go up there for on, you prompted me to message Foxy to enquire about what happens if an event still can't go ahead.  You've put a seed in my mind now!

7.5 miles for me this morning.  I had a rest day yesterday and was hoping to feel pretty fresh this morning but I just wasn't quite with it when I woke up after another restless night.  It's not even that hot here in the nights but I'm just not sleeping too well at the moment.  I did enjoy my 7.5 miles though but stats were a bit poor compared to similar runs, but it was an enjoyable run overall to start the week.  May saw my highest monthly mileage ever at 270 miles.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No,I did ask her but I don't think she wants her first to be 7 laps around a lake.
    Big G-I think I worked out there will need to be a sub 2;45 runner for me to get lapped so should be ok,great mileage for the month.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought TBL might lure you back up there again ;)    Will be interesting to see if Foxy thinks the August events will go ahead, not sure if he has any July planned.

Frustrating run for you today, usually after a rest day the stats are better but obviously the restless night affects you and your running.   

I'm sleeping better now I'm getting up earlier, I'll never be a good sleeper again but even if I don't have a good night I'm still full of beans when I get up.  But as I get up earlier I go out earlier for my run, it's light anyway, so I'm home earlier.  Breakfast is earlier and then I'm starving by lunchtime so some days lunch has to be earlier, I do most days have a post lunch nap, 20 minutes.  But generally I am feeling better spending less time trying to sleep at night.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I can understand that your OH wants a decent road marathon for her debut.

One of Foxy's events is over distance, 27ish I think, not sure which course that is though, Big G will know.   I think one of his courses has a measurement certificate too, but again don't know which it is.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Ian, I think the Caldecotte one was the one that had a measurement certificate, but I could be wrong.  I've just checked and clockwise I had it as 26.35 miles and anticlockwise I had it at 26.23 miles.  It's the same with all the courses, but there are some narrow parts (i.e., really only enough for one person at a time for long stretches, with people having to go on the grass to pass each other) - that's the one issue with it.

Shades, I am trying to get to bed earlyish (i.e., 10ish) as I know I am waking up earlier, as I'm tending to wake before 5:30am anyway.  If I slept that would be fine, but I'm getting a broken night's sleep quite regularly at the moment.  Not really sure why.  The last couple of weeks I've been out for my morning runs between about 5:45 and 6:30, which is early for me!  The main exception is when I run from the zoo, which is then a 9am start.  Afternoon run times vary.

I need to think about what it is I actually want out of this.  Part of me wants to crack on with the marathons and get to the 100 more or less as soon as I can (I don't mean doing loads of doubles/triples - but just get back to doing them regularly).  But part of me thinks that if I do that I will probably start to lose some fitness/freshness and the weekly mileage would drop, and I'd be really interested to have a crack at one in a fresh state from this training.  So I'm not sure what I want to do at the moment!

After my run I had breakfast and a coffee, and then walked to work with OH, and wet home via the seafront.  A very pleasant walk and a few cafes open, which actually was nice to see - there were a few customers all being sensible.  It was quite quiet out but I did see on Facebook a big queue trying to get into Ikea in Exeter, before the opening time.
  • Hope you all had a good weekend shadies!

Shades great news about the reeboks, always nice to have another shoe to turn to.  Hope the ankle peters out to be nothing.

Cal, great price for the Reacts! Also well done on the 200 mile month.

MF Hope hay fever goes soon, I'm suffering with it myself nothing too serious just sneezing and eyes are crazy at times.  No need to be jealous of my running at the moment.

Ian - I have no idea how you can do the mileage you're doing and the work, well done! Hope it pays off your a decent marathon performance when this lockdown ends.

Big G - the pics scare me, I know some are taken at angles to make things look worse than they are but you see a lot of people gathering all over the place.

Rcouture - as frustrating as not being able to run your debut marathon, you've done superbly and will enjoy the experience more because of it.

I'm getting myself in a better place, slowing the running down and only doing small amounts.  I have 3 stone I want to lose, 2 stone will be back to where I was 2 years ago for Manchester and NDW.  Myself and Elle have talked about things, she is upset she has only just started to focus now and she has wasted a great opportunity at the start of lockdown... I'm disappointed in myself where I started well then turned to 'inner Homer Simpson'. 

Have joined Fairlands Valley Spartans as 2nd claim, only £4 due to Covid, had considered last year before my fall.  It's worth the fee alone as 10% and free delivery with sportshoes.com (I get 10% off with student discount but the free delivery is useful).  Just need to start running and then be even more use.

• Big G -  x post it's nice to see where people are being civilised being aware of their surroundings.

Saw a video online of some idiots on Southend beach moaning about how this country needs to be more serious with the lockdown and people should go to the beach.  The some others saying how it's okay as they are all family (but from different households).

When I've ran by or through local parks there are huge groups of people all close by each other, my mums partners daughter has had Corona, she in admin in a hospital and said that hospitals in Scotland are preparing for a 2nd wave.  

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Big G-I have picked the Saturday clockwise route,in terms of future races,when we know what's happening you could do an Enigma as a tester,then a real race a few weeks later and smash it off the back of this training,that's my idea anyway.
    Rob-Good luck on the weight loss for you and Elle,good to have a target to aim for and if you've done it before you know you can do it again.
    Daughter had an antibody test and it came back positive,she took a day off in March as she felt run down but was fine the next day and no usual symptons so didn't think it was Covid but it must have been.
    Usual run today but for some reason it was slow,about 15/20s/m slower than usual,no reason I can think of but got it done,I was hoping my watch was going to measure short but it was only 0.1 mile different which is usual with GPS.
    On a positive I did my weigh last night and I'm now 12.7,another record low,that's nearly 4 stone since I've been running or 25% of my body weight  :#

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that is a significant amount of weight off - when you say 25%, that really is amazing.  When I think about it now, from my heaviest I have lost in the region of 5 stone (I was the wrong side of 17st at one point and this morning I was 12st5).  But when I was that heavy I wasn't a runner  - I had just let myself go when I got an office job.  To be honest I found losing the first 2 or 3 stone quite easy when I put my mind to it.  I think I started running when I was around 14st, but I wasn't serious about running at that point.

In fairness Robert, you have been injured, which probably didn't help the motivation.  Great news that you feel that you're at least back to being able to run a bit now though.  Yes, some of the pics are crazy with people all bunched together - that Dorset beach incident really hit home to me.  Nothing has really changed for me in terms of where I will go, although I am doing some double days but I feel I am being sensible where I run.  The main thing that has changed is that I have had a couple of takeaway coffees/meals from a place where distancing is very easy and I feel that the owners have done absolutely everything they can to make it as safe as possible for staff and customers.  Where I live, on the seafront there are a few places selling teas/coffees and they're always pretty busy, but just half a mile around to the harbour there are two really nice places that are much quieter with plenty of seating and space for customers, so if I wanted a coffee whilst out locally, personally that's where I would head.  I still think that the supermarkets, although they're doing all they can, are the main potential issue for me, but of course we need to go shopping and the staff are all great for doing what they do each day.  I know I am very lucky to have a garden etc.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well at least with the narrow parts on the Enigma courses there is room on the grass to pass others safely, unlike Plym Trail.

I never sleep through the night, I wake several times, you just get used to it!

Looks like we'll have plenty of time to decide what we want to do running wise in the future.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how races in the immediate future are going to happen.

I saw an IKEA manager being interviewed on TV and they said how strict they were going to be, very limited numbers allowed in and folk would have to queue.

Robert - we've all 'wasted' times in our lives when we think we should have been making changes but we can't make those changes until we've got our head in the right place, then we can move forward. 

Well done on joining FVS nice crowd.

Ian - interesting re your daughter, she doesn't live with you, did you have contact around that time?  I think we'd all like to think we might have sailed through it with no symptoms.

Wow at the weight loss, you've really got that metabolism fired up now.

Big G - and your weight loss too, that is a significant amount.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No she works in Bournemouth,last time we seen her was Gran Canaria,we were meant to in April bit it wasnt essential so we didn't go.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your sympathy everyone. This will pass, at least it's not another running injury. However, my horse got scared of the dog yesterday and in the resulting kerfuffle I got pushed over and squashed on a small wall. I think I may have cracked a rib as it really bloody hurts. Anyway, at least it's not my legs, feet etc.

Well done on all that fabulous mileage too Shadies.

Rob - Don't beat yourself up over not doing as much as you'd have wished to. As Big G says, you've been injured anyway. However, once a runner.. always a runner and you sound as if you're ready for your comeback!

Shades - Work has completely changed. It is a relief not do do any menu planning or cooking but my time is now spent cleaning and re disinfecting evrerything.. surfaces, handles, hoops, skipping ropes etc etc, supervising washing hands a couple of million times a day (only one tap allowed to be used by me) and organising no contact games for the three playtimes. The children are coping better with the distancing issues than I thought they would and respect the fact that they have to stay in their "squares " sometimes. I actually find it a bit disconcerting that they seemed to have accepted this so readily. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Our “squares”
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - oh well no chance of immunity from your daughter then.

Mamafox - ouch, that must be painful, hope it eases soon.

What a pretty school and everything looks spotless.

Amazing how the children have adapted so quickly to the rules at school re social distancing. 

It's the old folk that aren't so quick to learn, I've noticed that in the supermarket.

That's a of cleaning, we're all getting so good at it too.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ouch, mamafox - unfortunately there's nothing you can do for ribs except tough it out.
    Ian, I guess that's lucky for your daughter. I do wonder if I've had it myself. I felt run-down and not quite right just after doing my last race, the evening 10K - travelled there on a packed tube train. I wasn't bad, just run down but chest felt oddly tight. However, I often feel run down during high mileage training so I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary.  Good job on the weight loss.
    Shades, glad the ankle thing was nothing bad.
    Rob, starting late is better than not starting at all, eh?

So my ankle has also been niggly since the hilly run. I thought it was achilles (which is a little grumpy) but then realised it's post tib. I know exactly why it's happened, too. That ankle is a bit floppy as it has been sprained multiple times. Since I come down hills on the forefoot, I think what's happening is my foot rolls in a bit and puts strain on the post tib, and there were some steep ones yesterday, as well as the hills I came down during the week. If I supinate my foot I can feel the sore spot.
    Today was a rest day but I'm really hoping I'll be OK to run tomorrow - no hills obviously, if I do. I did walk 6 miles today, though, and it doesn't hurt to walk on - running is a different beast, though, so I guess we'll see. In any case, I'm going to have to do some ankle work.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that MF.  I remember when I fell on my ribs a couple of years ago whilst doing an event.  Ouch!

Cal, fingers crossed you're fine for tomorrow.  

Ian/Cal, I can't help wonder if I had it, but if I did, it was way earlier than what has been reported, so it probably wasn't it.  But December I was ill with all the symptoms, but probably it was just a very bad chest infection.

I went out and did 6-miles this afternoon.  Had a great run out, even though it was quite warm...it was nice to stretch the legs again though.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal/Big G - will be interesting when we get a chance to have an antibody test to see how many of us have already had it.

Cal - I think that's what I do to my ankles too, never been strong and I dislike too much uneven surface to run on as it seems to tire my ankles.   I woke in the night and turned over and my ankle hurt again then eased off and fine this morning.

Hope your ankle is OK for your run today.

Had a lovely 8 mile run this morning.  Saw an egret, two beautiful deer and a baby crow that had to make 3 attempts to land on the fence next to me.   First time he headbutted the fence, then hit himself in the neck and finally he managed to land on the fence with a bit of squawking and a lot of flapping of wings, they are scruffy looking things when they're young.
    When I got home I was just doing my stretches and saw first 2 swallows/swifts that I've seen this year.   Lovely morning, going to be hot again, fortunately due to cool down tomorrow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday's update from Connemarathon, not so hopeful    :'(

Following today’s meeting we have decided to continue to suspend entries. If things remain as they are with a requirement for 2m social distancing then the event will not happen. However, we still feel that it is too early to cancel and hope that the different phases that have been set out may be accelerated. With the event now less than 4 months away we are aware that you will need some certainty sooner rather than later and will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis.

If you would like to defer your 27th September 2020 entry to 18th April 2021 free of charge then please email info@connemarathon.com.