Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Saw that Bus. I've always thought cyclists are very brave. All it takes is one idiot roaring up behind you.  I always feel a little cautious just running with cars behind me (blind bends etc) , no option with cycling!

Wool those winter hill segments are pretty smashed down i think. A lot of marlow is utterly locked down in fairness. I like areas you can try A few while you're there.

Geezer im having a little fun battle with recently took a couple off me this morn. He wrote that he knows im faster on paper but is protecting his patch which made me laugh.

Saw that he had a mate a few years ago and they'd go challenging each other before the other guy moved away. Maybe im his new mate 😄😄

He's taken a quarter mile seg to 4.46 pace and a 200m slight downhill to 5. Both reclaimable at effort.

On a two day VBA course. Half a day left. Quite fiddly this. But a good overview and course number 5 so far with a 6th and two short seminars on project management lined up.
    Can only go down well with the bosses or in worst case, give new skills if furlough turns into redundough.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thankfully these sort of incidents are extremely rare, but everyone involved will be impacted - the families, friends the emergency services and even the driver and their families and friends.

And SG - you should run facing the traffic!

Not exactly making me full of enthusiasm to head out on the bike tonight (foot's swollen up agin today!)

How's the lges recovering from their beating Wool?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Terrible about that crash, I try not to read stuff like that. I had a couple of goes at doing this route now and it's taken a lot of my time already. I reckon it's possible to get it down to around 180 miles if I spend about 3 days planning it :-)

First OW swim this morning was nice although I feel like I can still taste the lake now. Ride there and back was 28 miles so back for breakfast at 8:30 with 2.4k swim and a decent ride in. 

I am enjoying the segment banter reports SG but I can't help thinking this all started with another guy taking you on, now you're bullying some poor innocent chap  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bus..did say on blind bends..im not insane 😄

Reg 3 people nicked my slough ones. But it's a stretch to drive 30mins over there just to get a seg back 😄

Found a new mate anyway who seems to own 90% of that area😙

With racing apparently off until October now (see EA video) we really do have to fill the void.

So I'll ask the class.

Seg smashfest attempt tomorrow?
    This geezers? Or others? Or both.

Lurkers join in
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Fair enough.

Looks like the weather's going to break after tonight, so maybe just suck it up and enjoy a sunny bike ride for the last time until next May :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Will not miss high temps. I like those 3 weeks a year where it's cool, not humid and not windy 😄😉
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Joe - you love a challenge! The watch is merrily collecting data, most of which i just ignore.

Wool - ouch, careful, don't put yourself out of action.

Reg - you are on it at the mo.

Jools - 353 is cracking, loads of mlrs in there, loads of hills. Well set for a marathon,  if we were allowed.

SG - no comment from me.

Sad news re the cyclist, its a dangerous game, i used to stick to quieter routes and get out early, but its not always possible and still risky.

Dont worry, its going to be 16ish degrees for a while, its not about to freeze up !

13m yday, 8m today. All regulation box ticking stuff around 8mm.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It was two guys in one go TR - both similar ages to me. A little bit sobering when its so close to home.  Solid miles as usual :smile:

A bit of rain and slightly cooler weather will actually make the trails a bit quieter, though I actually love training in the heat, whether on bike or running. Not so keen racing in it though! 

14M on the MTB tonight.  As I posted on Strava, it's weird to think I've run 16 half marathons quicker than I went through 13.1M on the bike tonight!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bus, that makes me feel a bit better about my Ridgeway effort the other week that averaged a cool 9.5mph. At least that exactly equated to my best HM pace ;)

On bikes its all about terrain and elevation though isn't it, more so even than running. With the good weather, lack of wind and quiet roads I've got my road average to about 17.5mph, but no doubt will revert to the long term low 16's once those factors disappear. Shocking and sobering about that incident near you. Looks to me exactly as per my accident in 2018; assume the car just didn't stop when coming out of the side road as the 2 guys were coming down the A40 and ploughed into them. I was hit similarly, but only with the car doing about 15mph, about the same speed I was cycling at, and that was horrendous enough. If the car was doing 30 or 40 mph the cyclists would have had no chance.

All seems normal on here thankfully;

SG "seging" well and using Strava to keep the competition flowing.

Jools; just amazing stats; how does your body stand it?

Reg; setting the standards on the bike and eagerly await your virtual showdown with Joe over 5k.

TR; just as reliable as ever.

Simon; not quite your usual brilliance but you can afford off days given your recent injuries; anyway even your off days lead to times most of us would love ;)

Bit the bullet and replaced my Garmin in the end. Only a Forerunner 35 but like the fact I now have a cycling option and also that it seems more accurate (which was the prob with the previous one). With my technophobia it took a while to set up and link to my Strava and Connect but think I am there now. Not tried the intervals feature; never had one of those before. Are they useful and easy to work?

Only serious run was a 7.5k tempo on Sat. Went to the fast local course the top guys have been using for virtuals again. Only 29'40ish which wasn't great, but hopefully I actually ran about 7.7k, so if that is correct not too bad. Proof will be running it with the new Garmin after which I have no excuses ;)

Any of you heard of Mike and/or Tommy Trees? Mike is a seriously good older runner who has taken most of my age group parkrun pb's whenever he runs the same course (he's still about a 17'30 guy in his late 50's). They have put up an online 10k programme; they reckon if you follow it you will be able to keep up the same pace you can do 7k at the start, for 10k at the end of the 8 week programme. May give it a go. Basically means you should be able to do about half way between 2* current 5k pace and current 10k pace for a 10k by the end of the programme. Thoughts?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Trees has been on the scene for yonks. I remember he was one of the top guys in the summer series 5k back in 06 when i first started. Higher standard then.
    Won the Marlow half one year..i remember he ran it in some specially designed lycra outfit!

Think he was a pro triathlete at peak.
    I'm sure he's gone sub 17 recently too as McHarg at our lot shared his fb training advert.

If he trains anything like McHarg does, expect some incredibly fast reps!
    Just watch the injury side of things.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Gonna try the segs on Friday but a totally different thing today.

The Marlow Winter Hill 10miler route but at "steady" effort. No warm up just in.

Have often run it at normal effort which has ranged from around 7to about 720s but aside from a couple of times with Marlow doing the 9.2 (or so)mile predictor version as fast as poss never tried any sort of effort.

See how this goes. Not aiming for anything too fast as it's offroad for most of it, has 5-6 gates and has a tasty hill later on but something comfortably sub 7 average will be a nice effort.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Bus - thanks for asking. Still struggling a bit in all honesty. Thought I'd be back up and around by now but the reality is that I'm having to manage the swelling and pain now with some fair doses of ibruprofen. I never take pain killers so this is obviously unusual times for me. Perhaps it was a bit more than a graze after all!

Pete - intervals on the Garmin are an absolute godsend. I even use that function for these virtual races. Just set it up for 2*5k with no warm-up and the watch will automatically count you down to the end of your 1st 5k rep and you just stop there. I see quite a few people having to crop their runs etc who perhaps haven't thought of this.

I saw that the Windsor HM went yesterday. As far as I can tell the Mhd HM is still in the calendar. It must be tough for these race organizers, I can see why they'd leave races open as long as possible to try and bring in cash in the short term. It also dawned on me that given Eton's ban on use of the Brocas for the rest of the year that the Datchet XC must almost certainly be off already.

Shame. I see there are a few segs around Slough trading estate I can focus on when I'm back though  B)
  • Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bus - terrible about those cyclists. I try not to think too much about it when I'm out riding, but I guess it could happen to anyone. UK really is a terrible place to ride a bike.

Reg - avoiding all news re; opening water swimming venues being open. I reckon I can hold off a few more weeks yet...

Pete - nice work on the new purchase. Programme sounds interesting - you should definitely give it a go...

Might as well get my report in here before Reg comes along and gives me a sound beating. 

Context - all time PB - Dulwich Parkun - 16:57 - August 2017. The first time I broke 17 I thought I'd be doing it from then a few times a year for sure, and getting closer to that 16 barrier. Cocky g*t. How life changes sometimes!

Anyway - proper up for this one. Up early, a bit of light stretching, small breakfast, and in general just too much time to allow myself to get really nervous and think about how much this was going to hurt...

Down to the mecca of running (Battersea Park), 20 minute warm up with some strides, which always passes ridiculously quickly as it feels like you're running towards the gallows and already it's time to get going.

Katie's in for this one as well, so it's a shared suffering job which always helps. In previous efforts my opening KM has been my slowest, so the plan today is to just go hard early and see if we can hold on.

3:24 per km is 17:00 pace, and I'm through 1KM in 3:18. That's boxed ticked re; hard first km, and it certainly feels hard! Dog walkers and rollerbladers all over the place so it's some weaving but mostly a clear run. 3:20 for KM 2 and I've 'banked' 10 seconds here - just need to jog it in now (lol). 

Already right on the edge and know it's going to take a monumental effort to hold on. KM 3 in 3:23, bang on the money, but we're going the wrong way here. 4th KM is like hell on earth, can't breathe and I know I'm slowing. 3:31! I've lost all my 'banked' time, my heads gone along with my legs, and I nearly stop and give up! Ludicrous when you think back to it now.

1,000 of the longest meters of my life, and after the first 300m I'm still running 3:30 pace. It's not going to be enough. Something flicks mentally and I just go, counting down the seconds to go in my head. 30 seconds blocks seem to last forever. Into the home straight and it's an absolute burn-up against myself. Watch beeps and I crumple to the floor - nailed on the most knackered I've ever been after a run.

5th km in 3:20 for a 16:55! Christ alive that was brutal. Absolutely buzzing to be back under 17 minutes, and on top of that an all-time PB. I know it doesn't count because it's not a race, but I figure you'd surely have a bit more if racing other people right?

Katie runs 18:56 for her 3rd fastest of all-times. Celebs all around and I'll be having a beer or two tonight!

As I say, expect this to stand for a few hours until Reg comes along with his time..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sounds a frustrating one Wool. You could take it if you'd smashed yourself in a big run, but not that way!

Yep no chance of us holding our xc November but they're looking into Jan or Feb.

After all, didn't we have the ludicrous position where there was 1 race in 7 weeks across traditional key xc time?

Seems ludicrous writing off 6months ahead though. That's jumping the gun.
    It's like life in general though. You have optimists and negative merchants. I'm hopeful of latter year races. Things can change a lot month to month.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    nice one Joe, pleased for you there! That feeling of holding on for dear life at the end of a 5k is horrendous isn't it? Even when you're going relatively slowly like I would be. How did Mrs B-to-be do?

SG - that's good to hear on the XC and keep up the optimism. My Dad is getting a bit bored and is banking on parkrun being back by the end of June. Now, that's a bit more than optimism in my view!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a heck of a place to be in right now JB!

Similar sort of flow to my BP 2018 race but a bit quicker on the second km. Classic 4th km drop and big 5th km!
    Hard to imagine you couldn't take that down in the right race, although you strike me as having more ability to go into a solo hurt locker than i would.

Just stay like this for a few months to test 😄
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    she did 18:56 Wool, you could have read that. Also an excellent time solo!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool - one of our committee works in the "inner circle" and is adamant that racing is out until October at earliest.

However i think she's going off that English athletics video they posted a day or two back. Watch it (on the Ea site) for first 2mins and see what you think?
    The guy mentions "end of september competition" but to me it sounds more of a casual estimate rather than any rule right now.
    I think it's all on how the restrictions and R rate go...we're back to 6 together, it's not a big stretch for that to move to club runs relatively soon. And as soon as that's back internal club events have to be doable again.
    Will that take 4months? Who can tell.

Parkrun sounds the sort of low key event that could come back first but in reality it is difficult as it's totally unregulated. Any one can turn up and you can't control numbers.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I watched it SG, thanks for the prompt. I hear that they remain optimistic but cautious. I expect that they are constantly behind updates to government advice in the way that many organizations clearly are and just don't know the way forward.

Training groups of 6 would be enough if the Datchet group could ever get organized but we won't! There are too man splinter groups in the club for us to get even an organized group of 6 together, shame.

Given's parkrun's role in society now I think that they actually have to be some of the most cautious with their return. A fast and focused 5k event that's more targeted would have more chance in my view, particularly with some kind of staggered start like that one in Norway recently.

BTW did you see that Ingebritsen ran the Norway 5k road record with splits of (something like) 7:00 / 6:25. Even in my book that's conservative pacing for the 1st half!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the sort of conservative start in some of my last races. But obvs without the quicker second half 😄

The next gov 3 week decision will be huge, as they'll have got the info that has a couple of week time lag.

If so many groups totally disregarding rules and the start of opening things up doesn't increase that R rate we'll have done excellently and positive signs ahead.
    But if the R rate has gone up...
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Don't think your Bushy regulars would consider their 1500 runner av pr as 'low key SG; several others regularly over 1000 runners and round here over 500 the norm at many of them. Don't see parkrun back anytime soon. 

Fantastic 5k Joe; Katie too. Sub 17 and sub 19 as solos is worth a few beers😁

Hope the aftermath of your fall clears soon Wool; sounds nasty. Will maybe try and get.my non tech mind round intervals on the Garmin!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    True Pete, but you know what i mean. Parkrun will always be the low end of the athletic scale however many you cram in. Apparently Upton court can be huge numbers now. Was low numbers when i last did it.

Fb memory pop up job today showed me a 2011 run doing a 10miler with 7miles at 6.19

Decent in a way to be 9 years on and still able to do similar...well, similar in hot or fairly windy conditions,6.10-11 in good conditions. Mile less but that 7 would have been built to.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Hope it clears up soon Wool.

Excellent run Joe and yeah I'll just casually pop out later and beat that! Not.

I am in two minds whether to have a go today, feel a bit weird and slightly under motivated but we'll see. I'd follow the same strategy as you though and blast the first KM, best to just commit yourself to the pain early in a solo job I reckon.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You've surely got to go out hard and bank a bit. That keeps you mentally bought in and helps balance the inevitable drop off km 3&4.

In 2018 i did loads and experimented. Fastest two were something like 3.14-18 first km and similar flow to Joe's one.

One i went out at the designated 3.24 for 17.00 pace inevitably dropped off.

Last km aside it's very hard to up that pace after the first km as you're already operating at a fair lick.

Any way, 10miles steady for me. Never done as much purposely at this zone before, especially not off road.

Reverse of the Marlow Winter hill route so you get the steep bits early doors.
    6.41 average.

70% offroad, a bridge with steps, 5-6 gates to open etc.
    Felt a good lick
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's bloody sharp for that route SG!

Joe - top work!!! You deserve the beers tonight, as does Katie.

Wool - those sort of injuries don't have to be too deep for the swelling and pain to be a real problem. Hopefully it will easy fairly quickly though.

I remember Mike Trees one-piece lycra number from Marlow too :smile: He won Cliveden XC a few times as well, even as a vet I think.

We won't know until the police report for those cyclists, but that section of road heads straight toward the low evening sun at this time of year, so that might have been a factor (though not an excuse of course). Certainly it was an issue for me on my own ride on Monday evening.

Not sure whether to run later or not. The foot - incredibly after 6 weeks now - is swollen and sore again today. It seems random as to what is causing it to flare up, as I didn't walk or run yesterday and over the weekend, after running it was fine so no idea whether this would help, hinder or make no difference!   I'm at the point where I am as fed up with it as you guys must be sick of hearing about it!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just seems an incredibly casual way to get injured Bus and for so long a period
    Like there's been some proper infection or allergy type thing triggered beyond just a straight forward pierced sore bit of skin.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it!!! Both those things and nerve damage I reckon... back to the GP in a few days if no improvement.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    ah Bus, you don't deserve this sh*t

I admired your Strava SG. That is brisk for that route even in what must be lovely conditions for a run. Good work....

Is it also about a year since we met up for the 5k @ Battersea? I really CnBA to train for a marathon in the autumn so now would have been a great time to try and get down closer to 17:30. Few issues with that plan too!!

damn virus
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep get back there Bus. Only positives are you're still working so don't have all day to stew, and no races that this makes you miss.

Wool - exactly a year today. The fb memory thing brought it up.

Endure was the peak of last summer for me but i liked the tour the year before. Hopefully next year gives both options.

It's why im not doing any specific short race stuff either as most likely we'll be back Either late autumn or winter when it's longer fare. The seg unstructured stuff adds a bit of fun while still hitting sharper paces
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bus - bad news on the foot, hope it clears up soon. I guess it waa quite a bad wound internlly.

Pete - nice one on the 35, i was all set for a 35 but then changed tack at the end. Not sure it wad worth rhe extra really.

Joe - cracking runs from you both, i might have a beer with you, i dont need much of an excuse. Youd both go much quicker in a race.

SG - back in the 6:XXs for a 10, nice.

Had a non distanced run in with a bike today on a blind corner ended up face to face with a guy both of us holding the bars from opposite sides, but i managed to stop him crashing into me.

P and D 10 in 4m LT, its been a while, av 6.11 for the 4m, bit undualting early on and a couple of 180 turns, so should get closer to 6mm after a few attempts.