Overdone it?

Comments

• literatin said:
    I want to know what Skinny's vertical oscillation was.
    It does insist on telling me with a beep announcement what my VO2 max is after every run but I don't believe my watch is expensive enough to capture the vo to which you are referring.

I shall have to continue vertically oscillating in ignorance of whether I have mastered it or not. What a terrifying thought!
  • 7m for me tonight, easy effort 7.14 av. pace with a few strides at the end. Foot seemed ok 🤞🏻
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    8.5 last night which I'd previously counted as an 8 mile run - I'm having a great time discovering I've been running further on all my runs than I thought. B) 

Means my 32 mile week a couple of weeks ago was actually 33.5.

In other news my VO2 is going up and seems to be off the scale at 59...….. >:)>:)>:) 

(PS I mention this for comedy value only and not for serious debate)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    You can't drop that in anecdotally and expect no comeback, Skinny. Now is your maximum hr correctly set or have you used default age based setting?

im currently at 56  peaking at 62 in February.  
  • DT19 said:
    You can't drop that in anecdotally and expect no comeback, Skinny. Now is your maximum hr correctly set or have you used default age based setting?

im currently at 56  peaking at 62 in February.  
    Haha - I see your game is to drag me into an HR debate.

I don't know my Max HR so presume I'm using a default aged based setting although can't remember doing anything - I really attach no value to this reading but it started at 56 on Sunday when I first used and has already soared up to 59 so would imagine I'll be smashing through your paltry 62 in the next week. B)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm sure when Muddy next pops in he will explain how the vo2 function is calculated. Max hr isn't the only factor. When you set the watch up it will have requested age etc so will have calculated yours on 220 minus age so given you perhaps 169? Yours may well be a good bit higher than that.

I have found it an anomaly as the highest I have ever hit was 62 briefly, yet I know many that are minutes behind me in a 10k, posting mid 60s and those at my level in the 70s. I've sort of decided it's shit tbh, though not as shit as the lactate threshold detector on my current watch which is set at 172 bpm (probably about right) but at 7.15mm.

• 5.2m last night, hilly-ish, 7.20 min/mile in the rain, lovely and cool. Blowy and humid hilly 6m at lunchtime, 7.11 min/mile.

I like my v02 measurement, but can see that hilly running and hot  weather suppress it (like now). It jumps up when I run in the vaporfly shoes too so they must work  ;)
  • DT - could be that you hit threshold heart rate when running up a hill. You can switch off auto-detect and run the lactate threshold test every so often round the racecourse (flat). It's usually a 4 mile progressive run finishing around 5k pace.

I wasn't going to go into the vo2 calcs as Skinny isn't interested and optical sensors can be dubious.
  • 'I've sort of decided it's shit tbh'

The perfect conclusion to this conversation 
    :)
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    My mileage has been about the same as muddy’s last 2 days but nowhere near the pace, I’m at about 8:40/M at the moment. I guess a fat-adjusted pace would be a bit closer though. 

Today was 7M on a bumpy route and I chucked a couple of 400mtr hill repeats in towards the end then managed the final mile uphilll fairly comfortably so all good at the moment. 

• Well done Mace - is that about 25 for week so far?

I'm at 20 made up of a rounded 4,2,8,2,4 - good chance of 33 by end of weekend. 
  • 2.4 and 10.6 done - 33 for week. Bit of a weary struggle this morning but it’s done.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Good work skinny, I did 7 this morning for a 30M week off 4 runs .... 10.5, 5.5, 7, 7

Target for the coming week is 33 with a long run of 11. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    My heart monitor failed to connect to my watch today.  Probably not a coincidence that I ran at under 6min per km for first time since January and it felt ok.  May leave the HRM at home for a while and see how it goes...
  • I managed about 33 miles last week too. 10 miler on Sunday was the fastest run of the week at 6.54 min/mile, now doubt aided by a cool drizzle. It was without heart rate data as I managed to put the monitor through a wash cycle on Friday. It survived, you’ll be glad to hear.
  • Well done Mace and Pete and Muddy - loving that all 3 of you are managing to run without HR data :smiley: 

3.5 stress relieving miles yesterday at end of a difficult, frustrating, annoying day at work. I suspect that the person who was the cause of all my feelings felt the same way as me by the end of the day but probably just went home and drank a bottle of something.
  • Ah well he's resigned today so maybe he had two bottles!
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    7mls last night with Mrs K, still ticking away mileage wise. Hoping to get out later for some miles.
  • New job started a couple of weeks back so pretty busy here and finally got the email postponing Dingle marathon until may or can defer until next October.

Abandoned P&D and starting a 12 week 5k plan to see if I can get under the elusive20min when/if parkrun ever restarts.
  • Ah well he's resigned today so maybe he had two bottles!
    Resigning whilst the country teeters on the edge of recession. Ballsy move!
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ah well he's resigned today so maybe he had two bottles!
    Resigning whilst the country teeters on the edge of recession. Ballsy move!
    Indeed. Sad for me but sometimes managing a situation produces undesirable results. Will leave a whole load of fallout that will need cleared up but the world will go on turning.

How far into P&D did you get Rich?

2.5m at lunch.
  • I'd got half way through week 5 and was actually really enjoying it (although looking ahead to some of the later weeks was still pretty daunting).

Hopefully a bit of speed work and slightly less mileage for a while will put me in a good position to start again next year. Going to aim for 35 miles for an average week for the rest of the year.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a decent plan, Rich

I may have to cut back again this week. I did last week's long run without socks and ended up with a nasty friction burn/blister on the inside of my heel which is struggling to heal B) , so every time i run it protests and 5M seems plenty enough in that respect.

So a long run may be off the cards this week, will have to play it by ear

• mace said:
     I did last week's long run without socks
    Why?

Do other people run without socks?
  • mace said:
     I did last week's long run without socks
    Why?

Do other people run without socks?
    Nope, I'd get blisters 😉
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Good going all, I managed about 60 miles last week with 15 of them running miles so a bit of an improvement on recent weeks, will try and edge that up to 20 this week.

Hope your recovery is still going well, DT?

Skinny - all sounds a bit stressful, a run is always a good stress reliever. 

I used to race in spikes without socks but now tend to wear my fell shoes for xc rather than spikes and definitely need socks with them.

Rich - shame the marathon got postponed, at least you've got a good base to allow you to target something else (if we're ever allowed to race again).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a constructive dismissal claim incoming with Skinny at the heart of it.....

Running without socks??? Not for me!

I'm enjoying my turbo work at present. Agreed with Lewis, following an informal chat with Mark Buckingham that I'm going to lay off running until i can basically load my left leg and not feel a thing ie perform the 'hop test' on both sides and both feel the same. Mark B was of the view that this injury is a minimum recovery of 12 weeks. 

So we are going full in turbo training, following a similar schedule to running, albeit with more quality  as that's much more feasible on a bike. 

Im starting to look at duathlon events locally and results in them and thinking im going to end up pretty bike fit in a month or so. I've always retained a reasonably decent level of bike fitness. Might be worth keeping it up post injury. 
  • DT19 said:
    sounds like a constructive dismissal claim incoming with Skinny at the heart of it.....
    Know any good employment lawyers? :D:D  

You've got loads of residual running fitness DT - get on the bike for a month, look after your weight and you'll very quickly get back to where you were once you can start running again.

So no-one wears socks apart from mace when he subconsciously wants a cut back week? I've put the pompoms back in the locker.
  • I run in socks, always and still get blisters sometimes. Usually with new shoes.

Good effort Tommy. I realised I do about 12 miles of walks with MiniMuddy each week but don't log it obviously.

What's the hop test DT ? I bet I couldn't do it even without a fractured sacrum ...

Couple of easy 5 milers so far for me this week. Easy effort paces are improving with the cooler weather. The foot is still an intermittent nag. It was worse after the longer faster run on Sunday so I will get back to a physio as soon as possible. Loads of time now as I'm on furlough.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I know an employment lawyer...….'good' might be stretch though!!

Just to be clear I always run in socks. I never do in pants though as my shorts are lined! In fact I have not worn a pair of pants since I think the 25th March. Could be my biggest post lockdown adaption to make.

Muddy, the hop test it seems is a pretty standard test when recovering from a stress fracture. You simply hop on the damaged side and you are looking for 10 repetitions with no reaction during or afterwards. Then you are apparently good to run. Of course if you get a reaction after 2 or 3 you don't keep going to 10!

I had a message from my chiro last night advising they are opening from Monday so I think it's all go in the physio world. I am going to get booked in, not because they can fix my sacrum but just to get straightened up and have some soft tissue work done in the lower back. Working from a dining chair at the kitchen table for 12 weeks hasn't done me a huge amount of favours.

Oh, and the 'look after your weight' ship sailed a while back. I am coming back down now having peaked at 12st dead and down to 11,9 this morning so hopefully 3-4 weeks and i'll be low 11s again.