Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS what kinda bottle do ya need? I have a couplea Salomon arf litre soft flasks wasting away. Swap ya for some beer!
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Great idea 1owrez. I've just downloaded the Jitsi app so I can drop in. I'm only doing the half marathon and plan on going out early Sunday, when the pavements are empty, so I might wait until later in the day to catch up.
    Debra, I phoned BA about 9am on the 0800 727 800 number rather than the 0203 one, and I got straight through to someone, and the refund came through in two days. Still waiting to hear back from the Belaire though. And I remember seeing a diversion sign when I ran through Trosley Country Park two weeks ago, but the regular path was open and no sign then of any work happening on the steps down. It's quite a steep descent, but I passed two cyclists pushing their bikes up, so it was certainly passable both ways. On the section just past Wrotham, I ran it one way over the fields and the other along the road. The road is easier.
    SS, what a waste of beer! Hope you find your water bottle. If it's any reassurance, I didn't get lost at all on the stretch from Otford to Cuxton, and there are plenty of walkers and cyclists using the path so lots of people to check the route with if you aren't sure. 
  • Options
    Baldstan - definitely a waste of beer but it was for my son in law and he's in New Zealand!!

I went to reorder a new bottle - was about to press buy - but went back into the cupboard, and there it was just sitting there!!

So thanks Lowrez for the offer but all sorted now and after a couple of glasses of wine I'm all chilled and really looking forward to Sunday :) Didn't realise Jitsi was an app so will download now.

Debra - go for the full Comrades  :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bet it was behind that beer you broke SS :D

Hmm, what is this app yers are downloading? I suppose I am not a very somistoficated user sat here with a massive PC heating up me man-cave I just goes here and types in a meeting name https://meet.jit.si/ So for instance I could type mosesmahdibastadium and wallop meeting is live https://meet.jit.si/mosesmahdibastadium no app, no registration, no socks, no shoes and you can go there any time and it'll be there. I suppose if yers has a tellingbone yers mights needs an apps - but if you have a web browser on yer phone it'll do the same job... blah blah blah jargon jargon jargon...
  • Options
    lowrez: gret idea for the drop-in!
    Snail: sympathies for the broken bottle of beer, but glad the flask reappeared.
    I'm having a chat with my coach tomorrow, so will raise the possibility of changing to the 90K this Sunday and the NDW recce another weekend - I have three more SVN events entered and waiting for me to earn the medals whenever I like, and I'm trotting out 50K each time for those (I don't -have- to do that distance, but it's the most Traviss will register for SVN miles and each one counts towards my total of ultras as far as Megamarathoners is concerned (and I don't care if 100MC or Global Matahon Challenges doesn't count virtual events even in the lockdown: -I- will know I've done them (81 at the moment, I think)).
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Didn't mean to confuse things, 1owrez, it's just that my PC is a bit old and slow (like its owner) so thought it might be easier for me to use the app on my phone. Wasn't being anti-PCist, or mobilist, honest.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Stan, I think we have the same PC :D mine came with no o/s and the amazing AMD A8–5600k APU. I was just thinking I should switch to an SSD before the HDD that has been spinning since 2013 took a nosedive and ruined all me data, was also hoping I could fit this totally silent cooler but I fear it can only shift 80 watts max whilst my mighty brain produces 100w

I love a good phone too, never want to let my Motorola Moto X Play go, last of the great single 12mp cameras :D

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I also heard the talk with Cheryl on MT, I think she mentioned there would be full tv coverage in SA? I wonder if the tv coverage will start with the standard routine? If so I will investigate if I can find a way to watch... and aim to start just after the cockerel crows!
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Did I miss something? I'm being asked to pay R470 for the virtual race. Was there a link for a free run for the internationals please? 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It's not free for internationals Bike It.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Asked info to spill the goods on the t-shirt like they did on the medals yesterday, they say it is WIP and like the medals they will push piccies on social media asap
  • Options
    Bike It: it's free to South Africans (and other Africans?) who are being sent their Comrades T-shirts and goodie bags but will have to pay again for next year's race. Internationals, who get their race entry rolled over to next year, have to pay for the virtual race.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It is an international boy
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Thank you. Just been kicked on the knee by a cow.

Is there a 1km limp option?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Can you attach your Garmin to your cow on the day and slap it's arse? It'll probably meander 5k over the 24 hours.
  • Options
    Bike It: sympathies! You seem rather accident-prone on your farm...
    Snail: thought about it, chatted with my coach and I'm keeping to the 45K. The NDW recce is more important at this point than spending the whole day running 90K locally and then needing a week to recover before I can do any 'quality' training. He also said he was pleasantly surprised that I did NOT go out for that extra 6.5 miles on the Sunday evening of CROC week to make it to the 100 miles.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    I have entered the 45Km event. I know of a little loop I can do a couple of times to make the distance plus it has a couple of lumps to remind me of all those lovely hills in SA.

Will read back - it could take some time.... 
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes farms are rather full of dangers everywhere. I didn't mention the damage to my forearm when the cow I was tagging reacted and pulled my arm upwards into the cattle press. Nor the damage to my right hand. Nor the near miss to the skull. 
  • Options
    Bike it: you be careful! I know some of the farming-related dangers.
    Mr K: great!
  • Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bike it - sympathies. Get well soon. Dangerous occupation you seem to have got yourself there.

Mr K - well done for entering  :)

Lowrez - have you had the email with the picture of the t-shirt on it?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

For more information please go to link:

https://www.ultimatesportservice.com/race-the-comrades-legends/

and click on the 'Race Activity Upload Guide' at the bottom of the page.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Oh no - I have purchased a blue t-shirt!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Can you read that any better? It says #IAMMYOWNLEGEND
  • Options
    lowrez: what's wrong with blue? I ordered men's small, as usual, because the tiny capped sleeves that often go with the women's fit irritate me.
    Finally managed to get through to BA yesterday and ask for my refund. Only took a minute once I'd got through to a person. I would have gone with vouchers except that I don't know whether they will still have the direct-to-Durban flight a year from now, and they have been talking about stopping flying from Gatwick, and I'd not schlepping all the way to Heathrow in order to have to do connecting flights.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Football rivalry Debra :)

Is Mr K climbing up Big Ben (or The Elizabeth Tower to be more correct - Ben is of course the bell - good quiz question in the making there)

Bike It, climb in my virtual wheelbarrow and I will push you around with me on my 21.1k
    I'll just have to drop Kate off at the Elizabeth Tower first...

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

And then he discovered an even clearer version
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Mrs SD grew up close to where Lowrez lives and football rivalry is such that they have blue Santa-suits for those not supporting the red side...
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thats me in the red suit...

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Get off the fence luv!

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

OMG! look at that discrimination!