Tempo run pace

Hi everyone 

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot before, but searching the forum didn't show anything about my specific query. 

I've got myself a bit puzzled and confused about what speed I should be doing my tempo runs at. Generally, most things I read say it should be around the pace I can manage for an hour, and that they should mostly be about 20 minute efforts. Some people/websites suggest extending the duration, others say not to go any longer.

My issue with that is that 20 minutes at my 1 hour pace seems fairly easy. I thought tempo runs were meant to be moderately hard, or am I missing something.

I've tried the Mcmillan calculator too, with one of my current targets of a sub 1:30 half marathon. If I put in my current half pb (1:36:42), it says my tempo pace should be 6:58-7:15. If I put in my 5k pb (19:57) it says 6:40-6:57. Not a huge difference I admit, but the difference gets bigger if I use different race distance pbs.

I suppose its two questions really - how long and how fast should they be?

Or am I being too fussy and pedantic and just run somewhere between 6:40 and 7:15  and I'll be fine? Is perceived exertion a better way of judging? I don't tend to use hr for training zones, but I know others do

Thanks for any comments or thoughts

Comments

• I use different pace for different distances.For example if my long run pace is about 8:30min miles,my paces would be something like 
    2-4 mile @7:00 min miles.
    4-6m 7:15 min miles 
    6m+ 7:30 min miles 
    I always do a mile warm up and cool down.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jokey

Yeah, I'd always do warm up and cool down, but hadn't thought about doing longer tempos at a sightly slower speed - might try that out. Good idea, thanks
  • Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    It depends on what you're training for. For shorter distances, the Daniel's 20-minute tempo at between 10k and HM pace works well. If you find 20 minutes too easy, run longer at that pace - never faster, or you lose the effects of the workout. For longer distances, such as HM and especially marathon, you need to run longer. For HM, run at HM pace for 6-8 miles. For the marathon, run at marathon pace for 9 building up to 12 miles. In fact 10 miles of MP running is highly beneficial for all training purposes. But very hard! Stick with it till gets easier then your marathon goals need revising! 
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sol

That's 2 votes for slowing the pace for longer tempo runs. I'd seen that mentioned before as well that going too fast loses the benefit of this type of work out.

I wonder if you wouldn't also lose the benefit by going too slow though. I did a fair amount of MP runs for a recent marathon, but I thought that was meant to be aerobic training rather than lactate threshold.

I wonder if a lot of these zones are quoted without really knowing much for certain, and just training at different speeds covers most bases
  • Hello.

Sorry...just hijacking an old thread but I have a very similar question. I have been running 3 times a week (6-8k each and sometimes 10k) for 4 months now (was also running regularly in my past..)

My best 10k time has been 49:24. I have never done any races or never followed any proper training programs. But I would like to improve on that time and maybe do a proper race so thought i should start looking at proper program ! I also have a HR monitor (chest..).

I have read and learned that doing one "tempo" run per week is very beneficial. Using online calculators and if i use the 10k pace above as base for calculation, i should be running at pace 5:03min/km for this and should staying in aerobic zone when looking at HR.

I did one of these run this morning and it seems quite if not too "easy" ?? would that make sense ?

thank you all for advice a "newbie" !!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

How far did you run? If you get it right, even 3 or 4m at threshold effort should be a fair way from too easy. Using your HR is only any use if you have a fair amount of data acquired from various training runs at differing efforts and races.

When was your best 10k time run. It'll be faster in a race environment for sure.

• > @DT19 said:
    > How far did you run? If you get it right, even 3 or 4m at threshold effort should be a fair way from too easy. Using your HR is only any use if you have a fair amount of data acquired from various training runs at differing efforts and races.
    >
    > When was your best 10k time run. It'll be faster in a race environment for sure.

thank you for your reply !

I ran about 6k but with intervals so not at full Tempo pace all the time (alternating between the 5min/km and easy pace at 5:30-40min/km). it was not too easy maybe but i felt quite fine at the end.

Tempo and threshold pace are the same ? i have been using HR for a while. The point of Tempo is to stay below Anaerobic zone right ?

that 10k time was done about 1months and a half ago. and i finished quite exhausted (HR clearly close to max...)

thanks again for your advice ! just want to make sure that pace is useful and i am building towards doing a better time !
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've put a reply on the new thread you started.