Comrades 2020

Comments

• Lowrez, have updated from UK to CC Pietermaritzberg. Go well all who are running (or moving!) tomorrow, and remember all downhill (mainly) to Durban then we can have a beer! Pretty sure this time tomorrow I'll not be a fan of Running  / Comrades or much else! Good Luck!
  • Have fun running tomorrow, everyone.
    lowrez: do we have a virtual meeting set up for afterwards? Time? E-place?
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well done Bike It. Hope the weather warms up bit for you.

Good luck everyone for tomorrow.

Have just signed Mr SS up on Strava. He is worse than me with technical things and the Strava seemed the easiest way to go as I will be somewhere in Kent when he starts :)

Thanks again Debra for sorting his number out too  :)
  • Snail, you are both very welcome.
    Bike it: sympathies for the weather and I hope it's not too cold for you (nor too warm for us).
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Two trips to Manchester and back completed, R still zero in the household at this time, and more importantly I still seem to be standing and ready for tomorrow. Daughter has just cooked me a carbo loading curry and I am supplementing that with some snacks and keeping the fluid levels up:-

Thanks to everyone helping CCPMB, like Comrades runners they have a big hill to climb, we've helped push them through the 100 barrier but they need to get to 500, they are re-contacting all their runners to make sure they have registered. I have also kicked up a fuss with Comrades that the 250 Rand I donated as part of the Legends sign-up process has gone into the general pot when I am specifically aligned with CC this year, CC are chipping in too, to them that's 25 loaves of bread.

Regarding meeting, this Jitsi thing is "always on", so if I say, here's the link:-

https://meet.jit.si/MosesMahdibaStadium

You could go there now, you might be a bit lonely though if no one else turns up, but, we could agree to congregate there tomorrow evening from 7pm BST onwards say? Hope that's not too early or late? I'm thinking the longer runners will need circa 12 hours before they surface, but we don't want to go too late as they will be up damned early!

Good luck tomorrow everyone!
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone tomorrow, off to bed early in an attempt to get up and out at 5:30am!  Almost got pre race nerves.  Will try and pop in on jitsi!
  • lowrez: thanks for the link. Glad the trip to M'cr went okay.
    Terry: I've been carbo loading a bit this afternoon, but not much of a taper.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Have fun everyone!
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Enjoy everyone, will also try and join the 7pm gathering 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Race The Comrades Legends
    Sunday, 14 June 2020 at 00:00am (12 midnight) and finish at 23:59pm on the actual race date in your time zone - there are no other cut-offs. However! You must upload your result prior to 23:59 to get your medal!

Route & Distance - Anywhere! Find the course of your choice and run or walk your favourite route. Whether it be on your property, a treadmill or on public roads and paths.

Do not forget tradition!
    South African National Anthem
    Shosholoza
    Chariots of Fire
    Two Max Trimborn cock crows
    The Start Gun
    Reveille bugle call

90km - Comrades Legends Ultra
    Mac3
    MARK A ALDERSON
    Peter R
    Slow Duck

45km - Half Comrades Legends Ultra
    Debra Bourne
    Mc Hilly
    Southern Snail
    PeterDHM
    marty74
    JAR
    Mr K

Clubmate 1 of Debra Bourne
    Clubmate 2 of Debra Bourne

21.1km - Comrades Legends Half Marathon
    Becca7
    baldstan
    Bike It
    1owrez

Wife of Slow Duck

10km – Comrades Legends Sprint
    Dannirr
    Terry48

Husband of Southern Snail
    Son of 1owrez

5km - Couch-2-Comrades Legends Fun Run
    Fido2Dogs

Wife of Mac3
    Daughter of Mac3
    Friend of Mac3
    Mum of marty74
    Daughter of 1owrez

Stadium is open all day but from 7pm BST the party really kicks off here:-
    https://meet.jit.si/MosesMahdibaStadium
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    All the best everyone.  As virtual as this is, it still feels super exciting to me
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited I can't sleep! :D
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    45 k just finished, loved it :-)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow! Looking great McH - you were up early! Well done, first into the stadium! This medal should really be gold for you!

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Had Chariots of Fire starting at 4:23 the shosholoza and shut the front door as the cock crowed!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Brilliant McH - that's the way to do it!

JAR and Daughter of JAR are just in behind you! Think they did the 21.1, just checking. Here are their medals in anticipation of confirmation...

• PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Ive been back for a while too.  Bit of a warm one and had to backtrack due to an angry swan protecting its cygnet, but some cyclists then came past and cleared the way!  Lovely run but legs are battered!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow - another 45k done - brilliant Peter -  I won't keep posting medals as it'll clutter up the place - you found a use for cyclists - ha ha - oh dear I better not be a bigot on that front! I know a ton of you bike it ha ha :D some of my best friends are cyclists!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone. Hope your pipes are ok BikeIt. Just back from doing my 21.1K around Richmond Park and must have passed almost a dozen runners, and one wheelchair racer, with Comrades numbers. I thought I'd be the only one, so it was great to smile and wave as we passed each other. I'm kind of wishing I'd gone for the 45K now, but it was warming up and I hadn't taken any water so stuck with Plan A. Looking forward to catching up in the stadium later. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Stan - if Southern Snail wasn't out running she would be telling me to get out and run - so I better do that... two cock crows just came out of me PC! Cablammo!
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Finished my 10km a while ago. 1h22m, slightly better than expected.  Need to figure out how to upload to Comrades now. 

Well done everyone on your runs.

Mark Alderson is still out, aiming for 90km. I did the first 4km of my 10km with him. We only started at 8:55am so he still has a long way to go. About to head out on my bike to offer further seconding support.  The pic shows us feeling fresh just before the cock crowed (courtesy of my wife, Jean)
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Terry - You’re a Legend, as is everyone else out there running virtual Comrades today! 
    Baldstan Interesting to hear you’d seen other Comrades numbers, with my early start and where I live I only saw 1 other runner (and 2 friends who ran part of it with me). Good luck to Mark, I can’t imagine doing 90k at the moment! 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Ps - the upload from Strava to the Comrades site was ok, once I’d realised that the “export” option was only available on the web and not on the (iOS) app
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    If it helps anyone I connected my Strava account using the authorisation option .  The activity then appeared as an option to choose it as my run (showed the time / distance).   Good luck to all the runners still out there!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Great reading the stories from everyone. Top work.

I was out at 5.30am having watched the start sequence. Still gave me goosebumps but this made it feel special. I am so glad Comrades has gone further than just dishing out the usual medals and t shirts. And the results upload feature is great. It took a while but I assume there are a few others uploading at the same time. I looked at the results before I left this morning and saw people from Australia and Russia who had finished. It is kind of cool knowing this Comrades wave sweeping across the world.

Peter - glad I'm not the only one with battered legs!!! Was going fine until the last 5k which went a bit pear shaped. But finished 45k in 3.57.14 so I will take that.

Good luck to the others still out there.

Iphupho Lami!!!
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    That's a great time Marty, well done!  Yeh I found the last 5k tough, and that was after some fairly early running / walking.  I made a bit of an effort to get marathon distance in sub 4, then the legs really gave up!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone and especially pleasing to see Terry's result on Strava.

Just the 13.1 miles for me and no getting up at silly o'clock.  I'd forgotten to upload my result but I have done that now.  I'm trying to run down every street in Leicester and today's route took in an industrial estate which used to be the site of a passenger airport.  It is tiny for that and there is no sign that there was ever an airport there.  A bonus was finding the Foxes Glacier Mint Factory.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I did the comrades stuff and went out at 4.30! Just done and my legs are destroyed, walked the last 5kms. That’s the 90kms for me. Well done to all who finished, will look back up at the forum when I have rehydrated. 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    And there was me, feeling quite pleased with myself, then I read this!