Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ah i get the map now!

Yes, gone up there many a time. And while it is quieter car wise, you don't have a safe path on at least one side the whole way up, as per Sheepridge.

Exceptionally steep at the intersection little roundabout bit too - right is probably the bit you mean above, but straight on is arguably even steeper towards the top of Marlow hill.

I know Mad Dom holds the downhill seg on this road - which shows it is a lot quieter than Sheepridge, as sprinting down that would be utter mentalism!

I have been lost on some of the footpaths that lead into and around Winchbottom though. That should go without saying.

But in general it seems to be the best distributed, elevation wise out of all the "up" options.

I will have a look at where the little offroad paths up Sheepridge go though. I haven't just leapt in yet.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Those regs seem quite sensible SG, decent run there too. The exercise I was doing was just front plank, but raising each leg up for 10 secs, three times each. Trying to do that for three times each.

TR - great pace, see so many paces on Strava, I honestly don't know how you all do it. I suppose generally doing shorter distances, the aim had always been around 7mm. I bet hardly any of my long runs have been outside 6.50-7.10mm.

Nice going there Bus too!

LSR was ok actually - Hammy was alright, Coccyx ok after about 50 metres. 6.59mm, hilly and warm.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - that strava newsfeed is best avoided a lot of the time - with a "let everyone train how they like" sort of mentality :D 
    You sound like you're back on track. Upsetting when you're not used really used to niggles and it's something new isn't it!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Sort of knew what I was letting myself in for really with Strava. Obviously the training runs are ok, but some of the 5k time trials are 'eye opening' like the missus having a look through some of the vet women's times in the masters event. I just hope they will all be replicating that in races when we get back to normal! 

Yes niggles. Fecking annoying, especially when i'm losing commuting miles from working from home (at least I'm in Wednesdays now..) it's the last thing I need.

The Coccyx isn't really a running injury now. Just can't sit on the sofa for ages that's all. Bit better than yesterday at least.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was listening to the aussie guys on inside running podcast (they are all sub 220so know their onions), they were discussing virtual racing and were saying that races need to be on the same courae ideally, as even a track race such as a 5k (track is the most quantifiable route) can have a big distance variability simply by wearing your watch on your left or right wrist.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You can still do those miles Simon just because you're not at work 😄

Look out for the classic moving time versus elapsed time difference on runs. Always good.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR that's the whole issue with virtual races. Every route and circumstance is different.

The whole point of racing is same course same time same conditions.
    However when it's one of the few things available it is what it is.
  • Morning chaps. Good to see Bus back on two feet, but sorry to hear your struggling slightly Simon - hope it clears up sharpish. Sounds like the sessions are going well so far Pete, and TR just being Mr. Consistent as ever and logging the miles. 

Nice Zwift race Reg, it's a tough course that, always goes mad up the 'leg snapper'. We'll have to schedule to do a race at the same time soon ;)

As I'm on 80% pay and only working 4 days a week at the moment, week is structured a bit differently so tending to do a longer ride on the Friday. Gave me a slightly easier day Saturday, as we'd arranged to meet a couple of mates on a 'fast' gravel loop near Petersfield where they were going to do a half marathon TT (Katie included) and I was just going to do my own session.

It was a double build jobby, 15 mins relaxed, 15 solid, 15 hard - so somewhere between 2 and 3 miles for each block.

Paces came out as;

7:25mm
    6:12mm
    5:49mm

7:22mm
    6:20mm
    6:04mm

As you can see, just couldn't get the legs turning over in the closing stages despite a proper hard push in the last 15 mins. Was a tough session.

More pleasingly, Katie ran a 1:29 solo half marathon, on a 'lumpy' course which was a gravel loop - was struggling for grip a lot of the way around. She's in good nick.

Then did something shocking in the afternoon - rode outdoors for 2 hours. My first time in over 3 months. Obviously rode 30 mins on Zwift before heading out. Tragically, I'm now on a streak of 94 days so I've just got to get over the 100 line and then I'll stop...
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good to see the long runs back Bus, taking OCD to the next level mixing running and cycling! I guess it's not just OCD but target setting for motivation etc?

Not sure how you can do back to back MP runs TR, that would break me I expect.

I have to say I find it comforting that people are back to milling on the streets. Sooner the shackles of lockdown are thrown off the better. I also cycled through Marlow and Henley but none of them were thronging as much as Windsor. That's back to normal, almost guaranteed a stupid tourist will walk out into the road as you cycle past the castle!

So that was Saturday and a late afternoon spin that was supposed to be 25-30 miles but ended up being 50 as it was so nice. Sunday was a later one too having taken the family for a walk earlier in the day. Legs felt dreadful but plodded out 11 miles, I find it really hard to run a decent pace these days, this one came out at 8s.

I was looking at Nike racers this morning, is the only avenue for a performance racer the Alphafly? It looks a bit hideous, I quite liked the look of the previous one, Next percent was it but that seems to be discontinued?
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    aye, Windsor is busying up again Reg, even the 6 quid an hour by the river is starting to get some use again now I see! When I ran past the castle on Sunday morning pretty much every bench was taken by a cyclist with a coffee and an ice cream.

You prompted me to have a look around for the next% and even if there were any straggling 4% around out there. I was surprised to draw a blank other than a few untrustworthy looking sites. I remember the 4% went 'missing' for a while when the next came out but then came back. I wonder whether the same will happen with the next% / alpha? I'd hold off, I've read some reports that the alpha might not be all that anyway. If you specifically want nike then you might take a look at the pegasus turbo. I have the original version (*2) although there is a v2 out now too. Only warning is that I have to 'modify' the high hell support with the kitchen scissors to avoid Achilles issues....

Good run Saturday for me, few strides on a pretty crowded Long Walk. Very difficult longer run on Sunday, struggled like I've not struggled in a long time. Necessary rest day today. 
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    that's a 6 quid an hour car park btw, there aren't many other things you can get for 6 quid/hour in Windsor  :o
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think I've been in that car park and then straight back out again! I'm obviously in no real hurry to get some racers. So I will see what happens. Ideal scenario would be they have a trickle down cheaper pair below the Alpha jobs similar to the next %.

I plan to do 1 zwift race a week Joe so I am sure we can make that happen. Probably doing the WTRL TTT this week which will probably not extend me too much but then we have a club race on Saturday; 25 laps of the Volcano circuit so thats 100km race! Will be interesting to see how competitive that is, I might carry on for 100 miles as I don't have the badge yet. Nice session by the way, can't believe you've not been out until now! I stopped my Zwift run the day after I got the unemployed badge!

Looks like both you and Katie are in good nick.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Adios are quality if you wanted a different option Reg. Myself, Simon and MH use them and before the plate business were the world record marathon shoes.

Joe that 80% you mention, is that full money but pro rated to 4 day weeks? As opposed to the 80% furlough rate?
    Just been extended to end July myself..but...seem to be positive signs long term now.
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dropping back in after a while of not posting, apologies!

Joe, awesome work on the 5km PB - knew you had it in you. Just need some races to start opening up and I'm sure you'll go better again. Perhaps your Everesting was the ticket to the success?
    Reg, tidy 5km from you too! I think we can allow the course doping as it was fairly minor... and it's only fair to make the most of the prevailing wind! 

There's a chap I know from a local club who was touting a 5km PB of mid-17s on a 200m downhill course - he's a 19min chap!

Good to see everyone still getting out and getting the work done. Bus, I'm glad you're finally having some progress with your foot. SC, I hope the hamstring/calf/leg continues to play ball.

Was meant to have an 8.2km virtual relay leg on Saturday but came down with a bad cold last week so had to scrap it.
    Going to try to get back on the horse now, and get the early-year consistency back. Oh, and I nabbed a CR of my own last week - 0.24mi at 4% incline, brought it down from 1:44 to 1:22. Worth mentioning that it's the top portion of a hill, 0.5mi averaging 8% - which I'm now joint 6th on and only 3s behind the top.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not totally out of the woods yet, as its a little swollen today. No pain though, so I'm not worried and was going to have a rest day anyway.

Outside on the bike Joe? Whatever next!!!  Nice halves by you and K as well. Gravel is never fast!

Reg - if they all mill around in town centres and keep off the trails that good with me. Nice 50 btw!

How's all the wounds doing Wool?

Welcome back Matt :smiley:

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    BBC weather forecast. How can they be so crap? We had a BBQ on Saturday on the basis of it being sunny and 21 deg. No sooner had the sausages cooked than a massive thunderstorm with torrential rain for about an hour sent us scuttling inside.   All day today I've looked at the forecast and thought "nice weather for cycling. this evening". Just headed upstairs to put on my kit, looked out and thought "that sky's a bit dark". And guess what? It's pissing down! Mind you, the forecast has just been updated to say there might be light showers - grrrr!!!! Bloody hate cycling in the rain - must get that Zwift set-up set up :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I always think for a country with so much rain it's not actually that often it rains when i run. It can go months without a wet run.
    But a rare evening double just then was certainly one!

Word course was unsurprising monsterly easier than VBA 😄
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - nippy from katie and yourself, you were near me for that running. Did i see thst IMwales is off?

Reg - i expect Next % to come back on sales when stocks become available. Theres also the zoom fly option. If you can wait til November there will be black friday bargains, i got some 4% for £120 ish.......im waiting for the Sauncony Endorphin Pro to come in stock (there was a minimal few released recently).

15m here.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Long again TR, 
    JB - sorry asked about the furlough, missed the actual running - whoops!!
    Looks pretty solid.

Think my early week tempo type job will be a 10mile progression run this week - maybe Wed, after a course today meaning I just fancy a "normal" 10 tomorrow.

No stress on pace, as long as it progresses! Won't try this on the Marlow offroader :D 

Great north run and Great Manchester called off today.
    September races.

I guess it's only a matter of time for Great South Run to be off.

On a better note, a guy on the sub 3 thread on fb (as opposed to this forum), said a local 5k race went ahead near him! Obvs not a UKA job, but any sound of racing is positive.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Evening chaps.
    Enjoy the rest Bus. You've had a busy w/e, the foot's grumbling & weather's shite - heed the omens ;) 
    Tidy pace for a 4% segment Matt even without the energy sapping 1st half.
    Good to hear from you as ever Joe. Tidy HM from the future Mrs Spraggins & a decent session. not surprised you struggled with pace in the final 15 minutes. You've been monstering the training for 3 months at least now.
    Solid MP run there TR  & 15 on Monday is a great way to kick off the week.
    Injury healed up now then Wool?
    Your LRs are purely to build aerobic fitness Simon hence keeping them (relatively) slow.  I think I'm right in saying your longest race would be the National XC? Not much point running fast for any significant distance. You do plenty of seriously quick reps/intervals in your workouts.
    Good to see the ongoing Strava Wankery from SG - nice to know I'm not alone. Shame my hit rate isn't anything like as good.
    A 5K not-Parkrun on Saturday in 19:45 on the same course as last week. No significant wind this time so was hoping I'd go a bit quicker still but really hot & humid. Warm-up & cooldown gave me 10.3M for the day.
    Sunday I went out for a segment fartlek. Improved last week's 2nd place on a 0.82M@5% by 22s but need to find another 23s for the CR.  Next up was a 0.41M@7% hill where I again only managed 2nd & 33s adrift of the CR. 3rd was another similar length but one of those deceptive ones which gets steeper as it goes on, again I managed 2nd but only 6s off the crown this time. At this point I doubled back to have a go at a relatively soft one which shared the 2nd steeper section with the 3rd one but started lower down in the village & finishes beyond it so 0.59M@5%. I was really only intending to recce this one as it was one of those odd ones through the back of a housing estate so couldn't remember exactly where it started however once I was there I figured I might as well go for it as it was by far the softest one only requiring 7:xx pace. I jogged well beyond the start & further downhill then wound the pace up on the return but starting the effort about 150m (meaning an extra 20' of climb) too soon. It finished in the middle of my next target so I had to keep booting it for another 400m or so. I annihilated the CR on this taking it down by almost a minute. My final target was the 800m stretch starting with a slight climb in the 1st 100m then a flat 150m before dropping 40' in the next 550m. I was halfway through it from my previous effort so carried straight on through hoping the DH would give me enough assistance to really pick the speed up but no, once again I only managed 2nd. I then had just over 4M to go to get back so trotted on. There was one final segment en route, another hill climb but I'd be descending it. I got to the bottom of it & decided why not lay down a marker at least so ran past the start, paused for a breather & attacked it. Far too hard as I'd misremembered it's length. There are 3 versions for some reason & I thought the longest was about 350m so I did that, eased off & then ground to a halt as I was struggling for breath & the legs were buckling. The road sign at the top had warned of an 18% gradient ahead & having run down it I knew how steep it was. After catching my breath I jogged further along up the hill. By now the gradient was down to a much more reasonable 3% once the watch autolapped I did an about turn & set off for home figuring I'd hit 12M for the session, & thus 85M for the week, by the time I got back. In the end it was 12.3M & over 1100' with some 3M of hilly efforts. Unfortunately I'd got that final hill climb wrong & it was actually 0.36M for the longest & 0.31M for the shortest so I'd messed up. Although I got a time for 2/3 of the versions it included my breather so I didn't even make the Top 10 leaderboards. I'll be back next weekend to rectify that.
    Today I was back in work so did a 5K TT on the track at lunchtime as our club had a virtual mob match with 6 other local clubs. Although Saturday's time counted I was hopeful I could better it on the track. It was sweltering & I was dripping after a 2K wu with 4x100m strides which seemed to augur well however the residual fatigue from the weekend meant I faded after a promising 1st mile (6:13), 2nd mile was just about 20 minute pace but 3rd mile was shocking. Managed a kick for the final 0.11M to wriggle over the line in 19:59. For the 1st time ever my Garmin recorded the distance spot on too. Both our men's & ladies' teams (10 to count for each) came 3rd in the mob match & we had the biggest turnouts too. Did a very slow recovery 8M after work.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a few paragraph indents off a great report Jools😄😄

Love segment Fartlek.
    Worst hill miscalculation since the time I mixed up 300m with 0.3miles for a hill rep.

Or the time i did hill sprints on a really steep hill instead of a slope and felt my legs for half a week😱
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A course in Word needed over here SG  :D 

I'm 2nd to the same chap on all those segments + he has the CRs for all 3 versions of that final brutal hill climb. He's clearly got bags of strength but not so great speed endurance as he got them whilst training consistently over 12 weeks for the Cardiff HM of 2018 which he completed in 1:27:55 run at an even pace with a decent kick at the end but then had to be stretchered off after collapsing once over the finish line. It's a respectable time but doesn't really match the potential of those CRs.
    He then went on to run VLM2019 in 3:50 though to be fair his aim for the latter was to get round smiling & his training appears to have consisted of a LSR most weeks & an occasional 5 or 6 mile trot :o
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah - I took that view as well Jools! Enjoyed a lovely lay down listening to the rain instead of going out!

Nice SGesque CR hunting epic :smiley: I can never actually keep up with the sheer volume of stuff you are up to Jools - I'm sure there must be 48 hours in your day :lol:

TR - nice casual Monday 15 :smile:

First pre-breakfast run for ten weeks for me. Shows how you get used to things, as I was bloody starving! 6M done though and intending to make it a double, but will see how things are later - not putting myself under pressure.
  • SG - 80% of total pay - but obviously have to work as opposed to being on furlough!

Reg - TTT is great fun, and you can make it as hard or as easy as you want by doing more work on the front. 100km sounds like a laugh as well. I've got a short 25km flat one tonight, shouldn't be too bad.

Sorry to hear you've been poorly Matt, glad you're back at it now though bud.

TR - yes Wales off mate. You still got anything that's not been binned?

Jools - nice bit of seg hunting there. Sounds like you were carrying a lot of fatigue into that TT and tough conditions so wouldn't say it was a fair reflection of your current shape.

Easy 35 mins run and an hour on the bike this morning. Racing zwift tonight, will be as horrific as ever.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You always get your runners with particular strengths Jools.

Often it's youngsters who have good pace for short stuff but drops off a cliff for longer stuff.
    I clocked a family friend who had gone well sub 5 pace for a 1k seg in a local park yet barely crept under 90 for a half.

Similarly my pal from the other day is well off the pace in road races yet punches well above for hills a bit like your CR mate. Oddly he told me he'd woken up in hospital after a race wipe out once too.

Off for a standard 10 today, will probably go and try to take a 6.56 pace 0.8mile segment i noticed quite closeby down to about 6.55 early doors 😄 then head to the other side of town and a dabble around either the hilly build to Cockshoot woods or around the Mausoleum. Depending on how hot it is by the time i force myself out and how steep those feel by then😄

Will aim for a session tomorrow. Maybe a simple progression run but won't rule other things outm
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    thanks chaps - yep legs healing up OK now. Broke in a new pair of Hoka Clifton this morning and my legs seem to appreciate that and yesterday's rest day. 

I'm mulling over having a go at the BMAF relay 5k on the track after a fellow DDer ran a really nice time over at TVAC earlier in the week. It might be the only time I ever run a time trial on the track but 1. I'm not sure it's in the spirit of what's supposed to be a road relay and 2. it'll be a bit of an outlier in terms of time and not comparable to other stuff I've done. We'll see.

I was sniffing around for races that might be on later in the year and came across the Overton 5 that looks hopeful. It's still a bit of a trek for me and when I realised it's a 2pm start then it's defo off. That's a whole day written off for a 5 mile race!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Super humid out today, one of those you feel the palms and the thighs splashing in sweat :D 

Didn't want to go too far away, so just did my 10 as a 1mile out and back, with the approx 8miles in the middle doing a number of hill loops. 4 trips round the 0.8miler mentioned above, which has a decent 50 feet climb over the first 200-300metres, with just the 1 little bit of effort lap to take a seg, then a few trips up and round on a few other Micklefield endz up and rounds.

Such a hilly area round there, my word.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool said:
    thanks chaps - yep legs healing up OK now. Broke in a new pair of Hoka Clifton this morning and my legs seem to appreciate that and yesterday's rest day. 

I'm mulling over having a go at the BMAF relay 5k on the track after a fellow DDer ran a really nice time over at TVAC earlier in the week. It might be the only time I ever run a time trial on the track but 1. I'm not sure it's in the spirit of what's supposed to be a road relay and 2. it'll be a bit of an outlier in terms of time and not comparable to other stuff I've done. We'll see.

I was sniffing around for races that might be on later in the year and came across the Overton 5 that looks hopeful. It's still a bit of a trek for me and when I realised it's a 2pm start then it's defo off. That's a whole day written off for a 5 mile race!

Would be interesting to see what you can do on a track. It's without doubt quicker than any flat road route, but one of those impossible to judge how much faster jobs. But to balance against that, it depends on how good you are at putting racing intensity into non racing scenarios - some on this thread are brilliant at it.

I would agree with you on the 2pm thing, but right now my days are basically either doing a long run and chilling on line, or doing the odd course...so a race on a day would be a step up :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    On Overton, they've moved it from early Sep to late Oct. Not seen many races do that short a timescale move. Most were spring stuff lumping it into Autumn.

Just saw an update from race organiser Nice Work - and they've communicated that EA have now banned all events until the end of July
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    SG - given the leisure of your lifestyle atm, getting up, ready, out and down to Overton for a 2pm start might be all a bit of a stress for you!

Let’s find something closer to home as a starter!