Knee Pain should I be worried

I did a Parkrun two weeks ago.   I had not been running much following a groin strain so it was about my 5th run in two weeks always around 5k.    I had no problem other than being tired from the effort due to lack of fitness.   

I felt a little bit of pain in my knee that evening but nothing concerning.    I awoke on Sunday with more pain and slight swelling above the knee.   This got worse slowly during the day and was worse again on the Monday.     I have completely rested it but two weeks on its still stiff and a little sore.   It is slowly getting better but very slowly.   I am worried its going to go again or not heal.   I cant see a physio at the moment due to the current situation.   I have been running for about 15 years without ever having knee trouble.     Any advice?  

Comments

• My knee is similar level to yours , I’ve found that completely resting it doesn’t work for me I’ve had acl and mcl damage , after years of physio I located my knee damage was coming from my IT band, I’m not saying yours is of coarse , I’m no expert but looking beyond the knee helped me 

I spent hours on psoas stretching and it eased my knee pain . <div>
    </div><div>I’d like to hear more people’s recommendations aswell hope it gets better </div><div>
    </div>
  • I've had some success doing slow and controlled backwards step-downs on my bad knee...might help
  • If your pain is sudden and seemingly unrelated to an activity, or has lasted more than 48 hours, you should consider seeing a doctor. In addition, pay attention to what the source of the pain may be. If it's deep within the joint, it's a bigger cause for concern since pain there is rarely muscle related.
    Dave Alce
    Marketing Manager
  • Hi Oxon White,
    I can't speak for your usual clinician, but I'm a chiropractor and a lot of my colleagues are offering video consultations at present.
    The amount of information that can be gained from discussing your symptoms and doing a few simple movement screens via video link is often enough to plan a course of management.
    I would definitely say it's worthwhile going down this avenue rather than waiting until things return to normal.
    David
  • dmjscott said:
    My knee is similar level to yours , I’ve found that completely resting it doesn’t work for me I’ve had acl and mcl damage , after years of physio I located my knee damage was coming from my IT band, I’m not saying yours is of coarse , I’m no expert but looking beyond the knee helped me 

I spent hours on psoas stretching and it eased my knee pain . <div>
    </div><div>I’d like to hear more people’s recommendations aswell hope it gets better </div><div>
    </div>  Cheers I will give the foam roller a go.

• I think that's what they called runners' knee?The patellar may be displaced while running, try a knee strap maybe? I bought a ipow knee strap and they are much better now.
  • Hi There, sorry to jump on the back of another discussion, but i couldn't start a new thread as a newbie.

I was just wondering if anyone could lend some advice. I had ACL reconstruction in January, and for the past few weeks i have felt strong enough to start running again. I'm not an overly keen runner but have been doing 5k once or twice a week for the past 3 weeks, and improving with every run. At first i stuck to running around flat sports pitches, but the last couple of runs i have run on pavement, gravel and woodland?

My knee hasn't given me any sort of pain after, and i wouldn't continue if it had, but i was wondering am i doing too much too soon, given that the surgery was less than 4 months ago? or am i on the right track?

I'm not currently seeing a physio because of the virus situation so been researching and i have seen different advice all over the place.

I'm 32 and hoping to get back into contact sports around september.

Many thanks
    Adam
  • A PUBLIC RESPONSE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF INVENTION CITY TO A GUY AT THIS FORUM WHO WAS OFFENDED and sent an anonymous email to our partner. Recently I asked our marketing intern - Yana - to visit the Runners World forum to get some feedback on a new knee brace that directly addresses Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome ("Runners Knee"). This is the first knee brace to physically diminish (and sometimes eliminate) the friction between the patella and femur that is the source of pain. It's an amazing solution that gets amazing results. Since its introduction it has helped runners in the USA resume running without knee pain. Some had given up running because nothing else worked. For them it has been a life changer. I made an assumption that members of the Runners World Forums that struggle with Runner’s Knee pain would be interested in learning more about this solution because it might change their lives too. I also assumed information about products like this would be welcomed here. Because of my assumptions and at my direction, our intern posted here looking for feedback. Helping injured runners is our primary mission and we would like your support in our effort to help injured runners get running again.

Critcism of my posting here and suggestions on how to do it better are welcome.

Please also feel free to contact me directly at mike@inventioncity.com if you prefer.

Mike Marks
    President
    Invention City
  • To whoever flagged me. Tell me the problem with the post. Do you NOT want to know about solutions to PFPS? Please explain that to me. I'm sincerely confused.
  • Please also note that I made a specific point of not naming the product or listing its website. So the questions really are:

1. Do people on this forum want to know about new and effective PFPS solutions?
    2. If yes, how does someone with a new product go about telling you here without offending sensibilities?