Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great job, Ian - that'll do eh?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice one to both Ian and Cal.  Both fantastic efforts on your own.

6-miles for me this afternoon, at 3pm.  Earlier than usual in the afternoon for me, but OH has some plans this evening so it was best to get it done a bit earlier.  It wasn't too warm as much of it is in the shade on good quality trails, and overall it felt like a nice run out at a low HR for me (133 average).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Shades - Hants Road Race League event Overton 5 has deffered from start of sept to end of Oct and will open for entries in Aug if cleared to proceed, the same leagues Hayling 10 in Nov is opening in Aug following govt advice. So it looks like Oct or Nov for a restart.......if Brighton and VLM get deferred then im looking at the Sept Goodwood as a flat TT (ill consider Dec too) or IoW. IoW is ~1500ft gain and the last few miles are uphill so needs a really controlled race. Goodwood is one of those "festival' races where lots of distances are on the track at the same time, but its flat although open to the wind.  The chichester 10k has a lap of the cct in it, its a nice running surface to be fair.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - belated Happy Birthday, sorry I thought it was Sunday the way you were talking a few days ago.

TR - Goodwood wouldn't be my ideal choice of marathon but I needed a road event to make up my numbers as it was scheduled to be my 399th and then would do my 400th at the IOM, that was my plan for this year, never mind.  :/

You got me looking at IOW now :)   Haven't run this course, the old course was fairly challenging too.   It used to be in late May and it was perfect Dartmoor Discovery prep as it was usually hot and the final climb being at 24 miles  :'(

Are you still running in your Rides?    I'm going to order another pair but was just wondering what sort of mileage you're getting out of them?

8 miles today, flat route today.   Overcast, fairly cool but very humid again, 98% according to BBC  :'(  Just as I was near home and running up the road next to the park another bloody seagull started swooping and diving at me, I ran under the shade of a big tree and it then left me alone.   At least this one didn't crap on me.  :)  I remember now that I had the same problem last year on that road.  I hate seagulls and I don't even live by the sea.   :#
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    So much to say about this morning's 7-miler, but I'll try and keep it shortish!

Woke up really not feeling it - in fact, I nearly stayed in bed, but having a mileage target of sorts this week is what got me out the door.  

This is a regular 7-miler and today was the 6th time I've done it since HR training.  There are a few slopes, even one what I'd term a "mild hill".

Anyway, it transpired that I did 3 of the miles the quickest I've done since I've been HR training, and I was 2min20secs quicker than my next quickest time on this route (3mins30secs quicker than my slowest time).  I knew I was running well - small things like being able to run all the way up some long, shallow drags that I always have to walk partly up.  Just flying along the front (comparatively) and glancing down and seeing the HR at 139.  Just one of those where everything clicked, which bearing in mind I really wasn't ip for it when I set off is odd.  I just wish I could recreate this all the time but it's great when they do happen.  Makes me wonder what a MAF test may have been as the 4th mile (pancake flat) was 8:46 - yesterday's, which would have been the third mile of the MAF test, was 9:12.  I still had to walk the "mild hill" and I'm actually still a long way off being able to run it, but still.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that is brilliant.   🥳

With HR training, although there's a gradual improvement if you analyse by average over so many days/weeks, significant and notable improvements just suddenly happen.  

Base training rocks... :)

But please wait a month for the next MAF test  ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, buzzing to be honest.  Strange how it goes.  I think what it is, is that I probably do analyse one run to the next, or one week to the next.  Then on a seemingly static period of 2 or 3 weeks I think I may be going backwards.  Everything I read and hear about MAF is that's a long term process and I do know that, but then suddenly on one particular run I feel it's a massive step forward compared to other recent runs.  I didn't know the pace until I checked when I got home, but I just knew it was definitely under 9s on that 4th mile I mentioned and it felt easy.  I do know that what I hit today maybe I won't hit tomorrow or won't hit again for a couple of weeks, but it's great when they come.  It comes as I've done 52 miles for this week so far as well, but legs feel fine.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Brilliant news,well done,I know I dont train to MAF but every now and again I've made similar jumps and it's a great feeling.
    Looks like a good couple of days running for us on here.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades- id favour IoW over goodwoid as its a "proper" race, ive done the 1/2 a few times and always said one day i should do the full. We'll see after he impending vlm and brighton statements........I like the Rides, i did Yeovil and Abo in them, and Gosport 1/2 in November in a tidy time. I have a pair approaching 500m that im still doing long runs (inc some mp recently) and medium long runs in. They will get downgraded soon and ill use them for shorter easier runs, but should be good for 600 to 700m. I had a theory that the different colours (which seem to have different materials on the heel areas ?) Were wearing slightly differently and that i was getting more miles out of different colours, but im not sure. All of the above is re the iso, i havnt used iso 2 yet. Im still buying iso for around £50 to 60.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - looks like you're aiming for another big mileage week then  ;)

TR - if IOW is on I'll probably run it as well as Goodwood.   But I don't want to start making arrangements for IOW yet, will wait awhile.   

Re the Rides, that's similar mileage I get with the Guides.   I like the Rides too, don't usually do more than 10ish miles in neutral shoes but I did do 15 in them last Sunday and they were fine.   So I'm toying with the idea of racing in them, when I finally get to do a race, and see how I get on with them.   But so far for training I really like them a lot.  My Rides are the ISO ones too.   When I run in them they feel really light but they're no lighter than my other shoes, so I think it's because the fit is so good that they feel light.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - happy belated birthday and great run
    Ian - That’s a cracking time
    Big G - That’s great stuff and nice to see improvement after you felt there was a plateau

7 Miles for me yesterday eve. Will go out again this eve for 3 days in a row which is a lot for me. Able to ramp up mileage again after a couple of weeks of 30mpw due to work so hopefully will start to show some improvement as there’s been none so far in June. I’m still confident in the method but would be lying if i said I wasn’t starting to get a bit bored which has never been the case for me and running. Have downloaded some new routes from Strava so think mixing things up will help. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Had 10 miles in mind for today but woke up to heavy rain and my body wasn't feeling great so compromised with a 6 mile recovery run (still raining but not heavy by that point, so I didn't mind it). Achilles and groin were both grumbling and then my left shin had a bit of a twinge during the last mile (et tu, Brute?) It's like I was in a completely different body to yesterday.
    I still have another virtual race to do this week (Ranelagh Harriers Virtual Baker Cup - 3 miles with hills, which'll mean Streatham Common) so I'm hoping I'll feel better by then. If not I will have to sit that one out, but I'd like to give it a try.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm sure some new routes will help relieve any boredom.   I rarely run the same route twice in any week.

Cal - sorry you're suffering a bit today.   Hope you'll be OK for your 3 mile hilly run by the weekend.

Right IT help please.    Bought some new headphones with mic to use for Skype and Zoom, we're having a software demo tonight.    Can't get the headphones to connect to my PC, doesn't find the device.   Bluetooth when I switch it on says Not Connected  even when switched on, does that mean there are no Bluetooth devices connected or does that mean Bluetooth isn't working?  Have run Troubleshooter, all OK, checked drivers all up to date.   Anyway, while I was getting cross trying to sort it out our software demo has been postponed.    :#   but I do need to connect the headphones at some point.   Thank you.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think (I could be wrong) that the message means there are no devices connected, as opposed to Bluetooth not working.  I can't test it as I don't use Windows, but I think probably first thing to check is that if the headphones have a pairing mode, make sure they're in that mode.  It will vary for different headphones, and in fact some don't necessarily have to be put in any mode, but possibly it may require a button to be pressed on the headphones.  It's just something to check.

If it's working, ultimately your headphones will appear in the list of available bluetooth devices on the PC and then there will be "Pair" option or button to manually pair them together.

Just one other thing I can think of is to check that your headphones haven't automatically connected to your phone.  Probably they haven't but I had an issue once where I couldn't get my headphones connected to my Mac as they had already paired with my phone and I'd forgotten about it.  The headphones I had could only connect to one device at a time and as they were already connected to my phone, they didn't show up on my Mac.  It's probably not this but I thought I'd mention it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Big G, I've given up for today as I was so hungry and frustrated with bloody computer 😠

I will check my phone, I did move it to the other room to try and avoid that happening.  Pretty sure there's nothing else to switch on on the actual headphones.  I'll try again tomorrow maybe.  So pleased the Zoom meeting is postponed, we're setting up a permit application on line for ARC and this was to be our first look at it.

I've got Windows 10 and when I googled my query lots of recent stuff on Microsoft website so looks like I'm not the only one having Bluetooth connectivity issues.

HRM has arrived from Amazon, it can wait as I'm not in the mood now to sync anything.  
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sounds like a great run.
    Ian - Superb solo 5k.
    Cal - Hope you feel better.

I did a 10 miler today, 9:42 pace for 123 bpm average. However I did run the last 2 miles at 9:17(122 bpm) and 9:11(125 bpm), which was encouraging, even if they were slightly net downhill.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Decided to take today off,weather has been horrible all day and currently hammering it down,after last nights 5k I feel fine to run,which is a bonus,but wanted an extra rest day this week and today seems perfect.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I see Enigma have cancelled their July events,it sounds like he thought they would get the go ahead,maybe with an extra month they could sneak 1 in August.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, sounds like the rest day has coincided well for you.  I did venture out in the rain and got totally drenched.  Got 6-miles in, but I can't say it was the most enjoyable run I've ever done!
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Just a quick note,  as it looks like you're all keen to get back to racing; and in case you hadn't seen it hidden away on the EA website; they announced yesterday their proposed route back to races and events. It seems very much focused around club events and league races rather than mass participation events but appears to be a good start (personally I'm very glad to see the autumn road relays are part of the plan); 

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/update-on-competition-planning-2020/?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=safely_distanced_1&utm_content=2020-06-18
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy - thank you so much for that, will go off and have a serious read.  Very kind of you to let us know.

Meanwhile there's some good news here too...

MICROGAMING ISLE OF MAN MARATHON & HALF-MARATHON - GOES AHEAD

Sunday 9 August 2020

Thank you for entering the Microgaming Isle of Man Marathon or Half-Marathon.

As the Isle of Man Government has removed all Covid-19 Gatherings and Social Distancing restrictions we are delighted to announce that the Marathon and Half-Marathon will go ahead.

But the not such good news for us is....

However, we realise that this will be difficult for entrants from off-island as all arrivals have to quarantine for 2 weeks due to the Isle of Man borders being closed.  We have options for those who have already entered our races and live off-island.  The options are:

1. Refund.  Please note that all refunds will be by cheque in sterling,
    2. Donate your entry fee to a local charity – Hospice Isle of Man,
    3. Do nothing! If we do not hear from you we will defer your entry to the 2021 event. The date is yet to be confirmed but would be at the same time of year.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy - I've read that EA press release but that's only track and field, apart from the road relays, isn't it?   I suppose the same info re road and trail events is imminent, same time as news re the big marathons, this weekend perhaps?   But it's a promising start anyway for athletics in general.

Steve - that's very encouraging on your pace yesterday.

Ian - I'm not sure why Foxy thought July events might go ahead, bit optimistic perhaps.

Re IOM, doesn't sound like they expect to lift the quarantine for quite a while.

9 hilly miles this morning.  Started out in gorgeous rain, I was hoping it would still be raining when it was time for my run and it was.   It did ease off for the 2nd half of my run unfortunately.   Saw a big dog fox, not seen him before.   Had a good run but I was tired on the last big hill, 700 ft over 9 miles, that's Garmin not Strava figures.  :)   Nice and cool but humid again.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it is focused on track and field with the exception of the road relays.

I was intrigued by this sentence 'England Athletics is aware of the desire for information about the potential competition season for track and field, and following rapidly on from that cross country, road, fell and trail'.

This suggested to me that until they want to trial things and see how social distancing can work at races when they are in a controlled environment e.g track races before they permit any other type of race. I could be wrong though.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-You got me excited with the first part then,was getting ready to book flights.Looks like they wont have the border open by then,was hoping they might have let you go if you have a negative test in the last 3 days like a couple of countries have done.
    Foxy said he had worked with his insurance company,EA and TRA and hoped it would be enough with what he has put in place.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tommy, that's interesting.  It's good there's some movement there and they at least feel able to publish some kind of a plan, obviously dependent on the government easing restrictions etc.

Shades, good news as well about IOM being able to go ahead, although of course no good for those not on the island.  I am devouring YouTube channels all over the place about MAF and there's a guy in Australia I watch regularly.  Over there there may be some kind of "travel bubble" with NZ which means he may get to do a marathon or two later in the year.  It's winter where he's running, but basically still pretty warm and he tends to run quite early...he's near the Gold Coast.  Looks stunning.

Regarding some of the smaller marathon events, I did see a Facebook post from Denzil over at How Hard Can It Be Events (he's the one who does that track marathon in Telford, amongst others).  He's brought in a foot operated water dispenser for when we can get back to running at his events.  Personally, I'd be happy with that - supply my own food and get some water fro the dispenser when I needed it.  Obviously no good if someone is after a fast time as I expect it'll be a faff potentially with people queuing I suppose, but if it means he can ultimately open up the events in a safer way I'm happy with that.

I was pretty tired after yesterday afternoon's run so decided not to set the alarm this morning.  As it was I ended up waking up 2hrs after the alarm would have gone off, so obviously I needed it.

Shades, I did also see something about Frankfurt, so I think that's looking more and more unlikely too.  It's a translation, but you get the drift.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy - I'm glad it's just not me then.  I read that sentence 3 times and I'm still not that sure what they mean.  I took it to mean the same detailed info for XC, road, fell and trail will follow rapidly.

Ian - I don't think the IOM would allow that re a negative test as that doesn't mean that you couldn't test positive say the day after the test.   They are very strict in the IOM, I see a bloke was jailed for 4 weeks as he refused to isolate.

I do have a friend in the IOM who often invites me to stay.   However, I doubt she'd be thrilled if I asked if I could come from a plague infected country and stay with her for 2+ weeks while I isolate.    It would drive me crazy as I wouldn't be able to run or go out.   Even one of my favourite marathons is not worth not being able to run every day, I love my races, but I love my training more. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Big G - xpost.   I can understand NZ and Australia being able to have a travel bubble later in the year as they are months ahead of us in controlling Covid 19, so that's good for that MAF guy.

Although we can't get to the IOM to race it is great news.   They are very big on sport and keen runners/cyclists etc.   Only a small island but I think they have 4 running clubs.

I heard that the Barrow organisers were holding some socially distanced event, they have their own insurance so don't have race permits.  I did look at doing one of their events at one time, they do a road one but the course isn't even measured and it was self navigate so not interested as didn't really count for me as a proper event.    But I heard Denzil was looking at putting on an event, following all social distancing rules and other restrictions, it would be permitted though with ARC.   But I suppose 100MC wouldn't recognise it, as they said they were following EA rules.   You might have to drive up and back on the day if hotels not open!

No surprise about Frankfurt, I haven't cancelled my hotel yet but I think I'd prefer now to have my entry carried forward to 2021 as travel should be nearer normal then.

You must have needed that sleep, you have been ramping up the mileage this week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I just had a look and it's a hand sanitizer rather than water dispenser.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I didn't say it directly, but I was working towards 100-miles for this week just to see if I could do it.  As I sit here it's still technically doable, but not very likely.  I'm not bothered though - it was just to see if I could, .  I'll get out for a run later on most likely and then just see how I am tomorrow.  If I don't do it this week I think it's something I can work towards in the future, if that's something I want to do.  Legs feel okay still and I've no niggles, but I was just pretty tired last night so fortunately I slept well.  If I do go for it again, I think I need to get a longer run or two in to start the week but at the moment up to 10-miles is a decent run, whereas anything too much longer than that can deteriorate towards the end in terms of the HR and corresponding pace.

Ian, ah, sorry!  I was reading something yesterday in the paper about a different organisation (nothing to do with running) having water dispensers so got obviously got confused!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I know you were asking about the animals from Living Coasts but they've apparently found homes for them already.   OH is going to be busy as a lot of these animals will need health checks and the relevant paperwork filled out prior to the moves.  Not all vets have the authority to do this, although OH does and it's quite a complex process I think.  It's a different process for different species, and come countries have their own requirements.
    http://www.wildplanettrust.org.uk/2020/06/19/homes-found-for-living-coasts-animals/?fbclid=IwAR2LozAQeHBoGf88-ZPbF63n3X3YcZpKyFeL_78-HwTWSoK5YrvadSzd3pg