London 2020

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i personally think it's sensible. A lot will change in 5 weeks. We have today been downgraded to level 3 covid alert which is good. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think they're holding out for 'special' treatment, quite patronising remark about GNR.   

Edinburgh marathon now cancelled.
  • I thought it was a bit of a nothing email.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Still on (for now) is fair enough for me, they are obviously hoping for a bit of special treatment, in being allowed to proceed. It looks like road racing will be back around Oct/Nov, so vlm are obviously hoping to still be in those first races back.

If theres no spike following all the protests, raves and riots, then mass events are clearly good to go.

I hear a lot of folks wanting an on or off so they kbow wether to train up or not, but most keen runners will have been running through lockdown esp when there wasnt much else to do.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Just read the latest letter from Hugh Brasher and it says to me that it’s going to happen in October 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The answer to all the 'non runner' entrants is pretty simple.. Just defer your place, it's about £38! Let the rest of us hold on!

i missed the special treatment thing? what does that mean? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Just a comment about london being allowed to go ahead just because its london.

We'll see what brighton say now, they could no doubt push the "by the sea" fresh air angle. Brighton promised a June update too.
  • RichNRichN ✭✭✭
    Bit of a hopefully, maybe, possibly statement.

The only definite you can take, is if it does go ahead, (against the odds in my unqualified opinion), and you want to be in decent shape, then you need to get stuck into the training now. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Take it as an "its still on for now".

Those that dont want to run can defer if it goes ahead.
    At one time you had a 1 in 40 chance in bumping into someone who was infectuous (in some places), its now over 1 in 1000. Depends if the decay is linear or exponential, but the ration could be really low by then. So they are keeping their options still open.
    As above see what the riots, raves and demos do to the infection rate. Being outside might be very low risk soon.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    An encouraging statement. So it's a definite maybe. Intrigued by the innovative social distancing measures. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im happy with the position. Despite all these alleged triggers such as VE day, riots, people going back to work, packed beaches, things are dropping fast. 5 weeks us a long time in this game. It's the right call in my view. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It's an interesting statement, the likely change to 1m social distancing will make a big difference, but I'm going to struggle to keep the training intensity up for the next 5 weeks pending a decision.  Also hard to believe many people are going to be motivated to ramp up the training in anticipation of the event going ahead.  That said, if they pull it off and it goes ahead it could be an amazing event to be part of!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SBD - 1m will be in soon, by oct there might be no social distancing in place.  You need 15min in the danger zone with an infected person as of now. By then there could be more risk from other things than covid.
    Youve been 70mpw recently, so can quickly step it up a bit more.

Go read the vlm twitter feed, the stick they are getting is outrageous. For me all the call it off now folks that have entries should just defer if they dont want to run, and leave those that want to run. At worse if folks train up and it gets called off then those folks will be better prepared for Spring. Any half serious runner will have been running through lockdown. If folks dont want to train for or race in Oct, its a simple choice, dont, no one is making you.
    If folks are only going to train if the race is on then that is poor form for me, its a volountary hobby.

Just rebadge it as an Oct 4th protest or riot, and it will be allowed for sure.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    its not like vmlm is £250 to defer. Im not on twitter as I've only so much free time to argue with strangers, but the fb feed was ridiculous. It's like people forget that for £40 they can end the uncertainty now and just defer. Let the rest of us that like running and who aren't doing it for social media kudos hold on to a smallpiece of hope. This illness is fading fast. 
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    The danger is still going to be "15 minutes in range of an infected person" in October, but clearly they are hoping that the number of infected people is significantly lower by then. If running your own race, and either moving past people or with others moving past you, the risk on the course may be relatively low.  More tricky will be the packed start and after the finish line; the volunteer groups around the course and at the finish; and the heavy spectator areas.
  • Blimey,
    That 15 minutes thingy is going to be a bugger for us pacers.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    what 15 min thing? 
  • I assume the more than 15 minutes within 1m of an infected person.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'd say that if it goes ahead there won't be any pacers due to the crowding issue.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    London is very crowded with or without pacers.   If we still have social distancing rules in place then there's no way the marathon would go ahead.   Plus how could the spectators be controlled, they would come out of their houses and stand shoulder to shoulder as they always do.
  • I assume the more than 15 minutes within 1m of an infected person.

Exactly
  • I am meant to be pacing for 6 hours

hat is longer than I am with the missus in a day
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Anyone think it might be moved to elite only??
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TT - elite only wouldn't stop the spectators though who would be as much at risk as 40k+ runners.  Unless on a very small lap course and it was policed so no access for spectators.

But although the elite race is important it's the huge charity run that is the heart of the London marathon.

Most elite runners would be travelling from overseas, many from countries that are just at the beginning of suffering the effects of the virus.  Some countries could still have travel restrictions in place even by October.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't see elite only.  Only Tokoyo have done that and that was because of the lateness of the cancellation and the then pending olympics meaning it couldn't be moved. 

Reading today, you righ now have a1in 1700 chance of encountering someone with covid 19. Four weeks ago it was 1 in 500. Let's say by october that's 1 in 10000 that's potentially 4 or 5 people in the race and 75 people watching.

When does the risk become sufficiently negligible for normal life? 
  • Unless I'm reading it incorrectly the latest EA guidance doesn't look very promising for London.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    is that the one issued last week with the road map to return to running? 
  • If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I tend to think 'London' and 'social distancing' are mutually exclusive most of the time anyway.  The tube stations and the tubes themselves are often rammed to the gills even without a major event.  After my last LM I remember leaving the Trafalgar Square area after a couple of beers to walk back to the hotel - we could barely fit onto the pavement so 1 or 2 metres apart would be a challenge.  :).

I just think they have to decide to go for it with the usual arrangements or call it off if they feel the risk factor is still likely to be too high.