Friday 19th June 2020 - I can't sleep tonight

Morning.

Lyrics - I can't sleep tonight

Everybody's saying everything is alright

Sorry - missed your birthday Els. I'm glad you were able to celebrate it and that OH is home safely. I sincerely hope this year improves for both of you.

Nice miles Wabo.

Sounds as though you have the ultra bug Donaldo.

Hope you aren't too sore this morning Alehouse.

Sorry to hear that you haven't had a great week em. I hope that you have something nice to look forward to over the weekend.

Wet again here this morning :-( Slight chance of dodging the showers though unlike yesterday.

What:            easy miles
Why:             sanity
Last hard:     being optimistic
Last rest:      16/6

Yesterday's lyrics - Summer Rain by Chris De Burgh.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Oh I hope you are back home safely and can recover.Happy belated Birthday to Els.

Ale: I hope you are okay after fall.

Don: Well done on making the finish line and sounds like you ill be looking for an Ultra when safe to do so.

Nothing for me yesterday too tired and Achilles not happy.Although today I went out in torrential bouncing of the pavement rain it was just a mile.Maybe tomorrow is a better day for it.Then I have arthritis in thumb and it is pretty sore!
    Any new body parts store anyone know about!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Lmh  it does seem a better day today to dodge rain! Enjoy the easy miles
    Poppy hope you can take it easy the rest of today. That sounds like a very wet run even for a mile!  Do you have any magic cream for your thumb? Sounds sore
    Alehouse hope you're not too achy
    What a very different fell run course plus extra miles
    Why need to hit close to 20 for the three day mark
    Last hard yesterday
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Might get an extra mile in when we go to the park with Cleo and bike. 
    The fell run will be wet which will make the downhills a bit tougher, must be careful

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: I believe so

Yes, be careful on those downhills, Wabo!

Hope it doesn't rain on you, LMH!

Take it easy, WP...and stretch!

Feeling a bit battered and bruised this morning, especially my knees. 

What: some stretches and then a walk to loosen off, then hopefully break into a short run. It certainly won't be the MLR that was planned for today, and doubt that will happen this week. And hope it doesn't rain on me either, although the forecast is not promising.

Why: yesterday's fall has rather compromised things! One way to cut back the kilometres I suppose! Never really had the easy week that was planned for last week. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Got soaked walking Sammy Alehouse and it's not looking good for my run either. I hope that you aren't too sore.

Sorry to hear that your achilles is still troublesome Poppy.

Yes, be careful on those downhills Wabo. I hope you have better weather than us.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: a walk to doc
    Why: need to pick up a prescription for Lucas
    Last hard: this week
    Lyrics: nope

Take it easy ale, be careful you don't exacerbate anything from the fall
    Wabo that's the club run from Dustin's club right? Enjoy your fell running and be careful on those downhills!
    Poppy oh no! I've heard there's one called the Body Shop...
    Lmh hope it's drier for your run! Looking grey out, but not raining at the moment.

Nothing planned for weekend but hopefully will do something spontaneous...

Have a lovely Friday all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

What: appeared to be brightening up and the forecast said no rain for 90 minutes so headed off for my gentle walk. Not long after of course it started to drizzle, and then into very heavy rain so I moved into a very gentle jog. Not too bad, but obviously not right by any means. Then the heavens really opened so I curtailed the run at 25 minutes, which is more than I expected anyway. For the first time ever the rain came through my OMM jacket. 

Why does it always rain on me? Third time this week I have got ultra wet.

Hope OH isn't feeling too battered and bruised today!

And Don's legs are ok after the week's challenge. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Ale: My stock answer to "why does it always rain on me" is "because you're Scottish" ;)  although that does not apply in your case. May be not a bad thing that your run was cut short. Gives your bruises a bit more time to heal.

Donaldo: That is seriously impressive mileage and pace. My goodness, how fast did those other dudes run? 

Sorry you're having a rough time, em. Bodyshop made me chuckle though. And your speedwork was impressive. I wonder how long it'll take me to build up to 5min k pace when I'm allowed to run again ...
    Thanks for asking, the foot is absolutely fine. No pain. But I'm really cutting walking to a minimum and every step I take is in that special shoe. No experiments. It swells up a bit when I sit at my desk but as soon as I raise the leg the swelling subsides. 

Poppy: maybe you can get me two new feet when you buy that new thumb ;) and while you're at it some knees for LMH, perhaps?

Els/OH: Glad to hear you're reunited and I do hope the op did the trick this time around. 

Another one to mention being careful, wabo and don't forget to have fun.

Half an hour of s&c done. I may do some more this afternoon. I seem to be on top of my workload which is a good feeling. 

I heard that VLM deferred their decision to the End of July. Here's crossing fingers for you guys. 

Over here event organisers are adamant that their respective races (Hamburg IronMan, marathon and also the triathlon) go ahead in September/October. Personally I'm not convinced. I may be pessimistic but I expect a huge rise in numbers in the autumn and winter months. I do hope I'm wrong. 
  • Cooler day here but rehab walk with Peter yoga with adrienne soup and cheese scones made! 
    Lyrics not a clue
    Three friends of mine mother and 2 daughters did whw as a relay from Aberdeen Banchory and Edinburgh in 15 and a bit hours. To be fair mum about my pace usually one of girls v speedy!
    Maybe some more running friend visitors later but we may have to go for a walk then brief coffee...chilly in garden today!
  • Wet here too Alehouse. Take it easy.

chicksta - the email from VLM was very uninformative, basically saying that people think that we'll cancel because the GNR has but that might not be the case. I really don't see how it can happen in any meaningful way. I read that there has been a rise in cases in Germany already - is that so?

I hope that the weather brightens up and that you do find something cheering to do emzap. It wasn't as wet as yesterday.

It sounds as though recovery is going well and you're having lots of visitors to pass the time Els.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Chick"because you are Scottish"  may apply! One of my grandparents was Scottish and at one point in the late 70s I even checked with the Scottish AAA whether I was eligible to run for them. Not that I had any chance!

Still raining. 

All sounds good, Els!
  • Yesterday before it got cold! Actually felt like an awful lot of people with 4 visitors yesterday after weeks of lockdown. Didn't even really bother me having no hospital visitors though I really didn't want to go into hospital here initially knowing that  worst case wouldn't see Peter again. 
    Take care ale don't want you falling again!
  • I'm glad you were able to celebrate your birthday Els - I hope you didn't have to bake your own cake.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Afternoon.

Belated happy birthday Els. Sounds like you had a nice day.

Hope you are recovering well OH.

Wow to the mileage Don and well done for completing the challenge. Good luck with your ultra search.

You've been working that theraband too hard chicksta or have turned into superwoman and were stronger.

Ouch Ale! Shame about the mileage but if it hurts.

250 miles into lejog must mean Wales Wabo? Hope you had a nice bike with Cleo.

Well done for going out in that rain WP, thumb pain doesn't sound nice, you tend to use them quite a bit.

Nice club session on Monday emzap, hope you find something nice to do at the weekend to compensate for the week so far.

Hope you didn't get a second soaking LMH. At least post run you only have yourself to dry off and not a wet dog as well. Though if I recall right Sammy has a short coat.

What: shorter MLR in a bit
    Why: haven't done one yet this week
    Last hard: deciding what I think about the latest round of measures to reduce the lockdown here in Switzerland announced this afternoon.
    Last rest: 30.03

Lyrics: no
  • What are your latest measures Hazel? A dry afternoon walk fortunately and you are correct, Sammy is short coated so not too much hassle when wet.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Still raining!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Happy belated birthday, Els. Cake looks yummy :)

Interesting ancestry there, ale.

LMH: I can't really see any of those events happening either... I'm pretty sure they'll cancel eventually. Nobody in their right mind would want to shoulder such responsibility. There was a massive amount of infections in a meat factory which led the district in charge impose another full lockdown including schools. Numbers remain low in our area though.

Hazel: I wish I was that strong ;) Enjoy your MLR.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Chick: another grandparent was born in the USA in the 1890s! My great grandparents had gone to seek their fortunes...and failed!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    hello All
    Belated birthday wishes Els, I'll await tomorrow's post for my slice of cake, I assume you sent me one?!!
    OH - hope you are feeling more human today
    Ale - jinkies, you take it easy, hoping that you're not too battered today. 
    Wabo - top work on the virtual racing
    Don - impressive stuff!
    Hazel - hope the MLR went well

What - 26.5 miles
    Why - I'm an idiot
    Last rest - yesterday (walked a couple of miles to watch the kites and deer over the fields)
    last hard - today
    Well yes, my club usually hosts a marathon this weekend, and we opted to hold a virtual half/full this week. Had the day off - my first day off of 2020 - and thought I'd give a marathon a go.
    Being a trail race, with a hill or two, I picked a predominantly trail course, with a hill or two. 
    Having not run more than 12 miles in one go since March, I opted for a run 4 / walk 1 approach and hoped to do something around 5hrs.
    The walks certainly paid off early on - the thinking being if I get to 20, I can walk the rest. Fortunately it was cool, overcast and lightly drizzly for much of the morning. 
    First 10 in relative comfort but 11-14 a bit of a struggle (even though the pace was consistent with earlier). Once 20 was reached it was a case of every mile run is not a mile walked, and was pleased to run pretty much all of 21-24. Back up through the local fields for the last 3k, running mile 26 (and 0.2) but as soon as the watch said 26.25, i started walking (I'm not THAT stupid). 
    4h34 ish for the mara distance, not that I care too much, better than I even thought possible. 
    Next time someone says "virtual marathon" remind me it's a stupid idea...

Good weekends all.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Dustin! Sounds like you enjoyed it.... Trust you can walk tomorrow!
  • Mad Dustin! Sounds as though you enjoyed it though. 

chicksta - good that your area is ok. As you've probably read the alert level has gone down here but 'the virus is in general circulation' doesn't reassure me that anything has changed :-( 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    evening 
    emzap it is dustins clubs race but unlike Dustin I am doing it over 4 days! 
    my mate blew me out  this morning and I didn;t fancy the fell run alone this time so luckily it has been a road and treadmill combo and no damage done!
    LMH weather not great here today either - very on and off! Cleo didn't get out on her bike but she's ok
    alehouse glad you got some running in and were sensible
    els what a lovely cake!!
    chick nice one on the S&C, sounds like you're being very sensible
    hazel - not Wales it is lands end to john o groats 2 different challenges similar miles I think
    Snowdonia has been deferred to next year and that was due at the end of October so I don't see how VLM will happen?
    Dustin, I salute you sir!!!

6.5 miles today - need to do 6.79 tomorrow to get the hoppit done
    Going for a jog to a 5k (off road, in a yellow t shirt (for another challenge.  In fact the 5k and the t shirt ticks off two challenges
    eton manor v victoria park harriers mob match is one!
    Have a great weekend, think I need a beer and pizza
    and a spurs win.......
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
    Love it Dustin! The feet and legs might hurt a bit tomorrow. Certainly not a bad time considering the run-walk, your injuries and lack of long runs. Well done and eat some cake!

Shame your mate didn't go out with you this morning Wabo. Wales (or at least the borders is on the way from LE to JOG I would say. Jusr a quick nip over the Severn Bridge and head north. You have a lot of challenges to keep you busy runningwise. Enjoy the beer and pizza.

LMH: recommendation for wfh is lifted, 1.5m distancing rather than 2m, events up to 1000 allowed (300 before), demos of any size allowed with masks obligatory. Main points I think. Contact tracing remains in place. As of Monday.  Most upcoming larger events (not only running) have been cancelled so it will take a bit of time for things to get going again. Inofficial gatherings and the restart of the club and party scene on a big scale is a bit worrying though. Runningwise most races already cancelled at least for the next couple of months. Maybe a chance of something in the autumn but the tracing and distancing rules will make it difficult.
    Oh, didn't scroll up enough and cross posted earlier - just spotted the cake (yumm!) and the coast pic (lovely - jealous!).

VLM statement did look like a lot of bla bla.  Don't understand Hamburg's attitude, they should take a look at the Frankfurt mara page. They issued a statement that it is very unlikely to happen. Whatever.. Not signed up to anything at the moment.